Guard of Honour?

whelk

No. I want the team to go full on Vinnie Jones on them, ball grabbing, ridiculously high kicks, general foul play, f**k 'em. Scare them and their world cup chances so they don't want the ball. Then park the bus anyway and lump it up passing the midfield to a target man, get it in the mixer.

Couldn't agree more. They can stick their guard of honour up their arris .

They've already had one, they don't need one at every remaining game.

There is no other remaining game...give praise where it is due..end the season with honour all round...and they did it without any Saints players, if it was Liverpool that would be different

When did football start doing this guard of honour nonsense? I'm sure i don't remember it when i was younger and yet now it's turned into some huge deal if people don't do it.

I think only Brighton have got in a huff about it, when Saints didn't do one for them in L1.

Yeah definitely a recent thing and quite pathetic really.

Bit like non celebrating goals against ex teams and people saying ‘class’. More like w@nkers.

I recall them in the 1970's, and in particular when Blackpool gave Saints a guard of honour after we'd reached the FA Cup final in 1976.

Edited by Badger

The Premier League is no longer English football. Each team consists of international XIs wearing the shirts of what used to be English football clubs. Southampton are no different in that respect, it’s just that Man City have been financed to take the cream off the international pile leaving clubs like ours with cheaper players. The only English element left in English football are the fans.

Giving the League Champions a guard of honour is one traditional element that still survives which it would be nice to see respected by our team.

I think only Brighton have got in a huff about it, when Saints didn't do one for them in L1.

I recall them in the 1970's, and in particular when Blackpool gave Saints a guard of honour after we'd reached the FA Cup semi final in 1976.

Where was our ****ing guard of honour from Wham the game after we beat Wigan to reach this season's FA Cup semi final? Eh? Still furious we didn't get one.

I recall them in the 1970's, and in particular when Blackpool gave Saints a guard of honour after we'd reached the FA Cup final in 1976.

Where was our ****ing guard of honour from Wham the game after we beat Wigan to reach this season's FA Cup semi final? Eh? Still furious we didn't get one.

Sorry, meant after winning the semi, and reaching the final.

When have we ever done one before? The only one I’m aware of was for Terry Paine’s return to The Dell with Hereford in the 70s.

(I remember there was a big picture of Terry running out smiling at waving, while Channing etc stood and clapped, at the start of the “Guinness book of soccer facts and feats” - my most read book as a kid)

I would say that on the other hand, our team deserves to be welcomed on the pitch by our own fans. Maybe we can promise them a guard of honour at the end of the match, knowing full well that a pitch invasion would render such a plan almost impossible...