Ori Appreciation Thread

Pickles

Thought his days were done here and that he would see out his contract and that would be that. But, he has been excellent this season, much like the rest of the starting eleven. The defensive midfield version of Steve Davis/Stuart Armstrong in that they fit the role they're being asked perfectly and they consistently put in performances. Maybe not the headlining performances, but you would notice when they are not in the team. He's also pulled off a couple of very good shots this season from the middle, which we have been missing. Obviously the volley he pulled off against West Brom and I think he forced Pickford into a good save right before our first goal against Everton. 

Diallo's going to find it hard to get into this team, barring injuries and suspensions, which is what we want.

2 hours ago, saintquin said:

We will miss him when his inevitable suspension happens. I don't think he would have the same effect if you took away his tough tackling though so it's just something we have to accept!    

How many yellows is he on at the moment? Seems to me he has better discipline this season.

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Thought his days were done here and that he would see out his contract and that would be that.

Is there any concrete (or even flimsy) sign that he is going to sign another contract ?  Unlike Ings & Bertrand, I've seen no rumours of an extension.

I think that I am right in saying that in 6 weeks time (1st Jan) he can start negotiating with foreign clubs as his contract is running down.  Maybe he has plans to return to Spain ?  I'm sure that a mid-table La Liga team would snap him up and present him with a big contract on the basis that he is effectively free and brings years of Premier league experience. 

I know that we have a great team spirit at the moment, but sometimes players in the latter part of their careers plan for one last big move. Until I see something more material, I remain suspicious that he will depart in the summer. I have an uneasy feeling about Bertrand, and also Bednarek (only 1 year left in summer). I suspect that Ings, as a local boy and with the team doing so well will take the plunge and sign an extension, but I noticed that even in Ralph's interview last week he hinted that agents could influence the situation in a negative way. 

I've no idea what is going on behind the scenes, so hopefully I am completely wrong, but each month that goes by our bargaining position with these players reduces (although of course, the longer we stay top 6, the more attractive we are as well 🙂  ). 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Is there any concrete (or even flimsy) sign that he is going to sign another contract ?  Unlike Ings & Bertrand, I've seen no rumours of an extension.

I think that I am right in saying that in 6 weeks time (1st Jan) he can start negotiating with foreign clubs as his contract is running down.  Maybe he has plans to return to Spain ?  I'm sure that a mid-table La Liga team would snap him up and present him with a big contract on the basis that he is effectively free and brings years of Premier league experience. 

I know that we have a great team spirit at the moment, but sometimes players in the latter part of their careers plan for one last big move. Until I see something more material, I remain suspicious that he will depart in the summer. I have an uneasy feeling about Bertrand, and also Bednarek (only 1 year left in summer). I suspect that Ings, as a local boy and with the team doing so well will take the plunge and sign an extension, but I noticed that even in Ralph's interview last week he hinted that agents could influence the situation in a negative way. 

I've no idea what is going on behind the scenes, so hopefully I am completely wrong, but each month that goes by our bargaining position with these players reduces (although of course, the longer we stay top 6, the more attractive we are as well 🙂  ). 

Last year the media team were told not to use Bertrand in any promo material so they were expecting him to leave. 

Will be a travesty if a 29 year old midfielder of his quality and character leaves on a free. But I have a feeling he will return to Spain at the end of the season. Hope i’m wrong. But regardless, what a fantastic contribution he’s made to this team in his time here. £5million and if he carries on in this form he will be in the running to collect his second player of the season award. I love the guy, and he was centimetres away from putting us in front in the cup final against United too with his header off the bar. 

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Will be a travesty if a 29 year old midfielder of his quality and character leaves on a free. But I have a feeling he will return to Spain at the end of the season. Hope i’m wrong. But regardless, what a fantastic contribution he’s made to this team in his time here. £5million and if he carries on in this form he will be in the running to collect his second player of the season award. I love the guy, and he was centimetres away from putting us in front in the cup final against United too with his header off the bar. 

Just watched the highlights again. God damn we were so close to that cup. Aside from the onside goal which was ruled out, Ori hit the post as you said, Redmond had a cracking volley saved, Bertrand was inches away from a Cedric cross, DeGea made a decent stop from Prowsey, Tadic totally fluffed a great opportunity (surprise surprise), Steven Davis had a great game. Man Utd had their chances too. Good game, great day.

7 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Funny how being linked to, and then signing a highly rated defensive midfielder has given him the kick up the backside this season. Looked a totally different player and a threat within 30 yards from goal too now.

Not really, he was excellent in the Project Restart games at the end of last season. He always was but did go through a dip in form last year, and got replaced by Hojbjerg as a result. Oriol was always the better player, PEH flattered to deceive. As they say class is permanent, form is temporary.

Edited by VectisSaint