Climate Change

Sheaf Saint

29 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Well thats you and your mate who wants to be able to drive his van free of charge through central London. Most Londoners dont want that. Only 42% of residents in the central boroughs even own a car and of those that do the large majority dont use them daily, they rely on trains tubes and walking and biking. Chocker roads makes that slower, harder and more unpleasant.   

But this is the point, isn’t it. The outer boroughs don’t want it and the businesses there are the ones who will lose their customers and with them their custom.

I don’t want to drive my van or my car through Central London but I do want to be able to visit the outskirts occasionally. Public transport there is sporadic at the best of times.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

A new study commissioned by the GLA”
Didn’t I mention this above?

We can argue the toss over this for days but I don’t think the lady who lost her daughter to “air pollution” (this was on the death certificate) would agree with you - of the thousands of others who suffer from the effects of air pollution every year. 

If, as you say, it is just a money making scheme and if that money is ploughed back into public transport and helps remove more pollutants from the roads, is that such a bad thing? I have no problem with people who cause the most pollution having to stump up for it.

There was a very good phone in today in which a number of health experts talked about the many effects of air pollution on the human body. Frankly I am more likely to listen to them than the selfish people who just want to do what they want despite the damage it may do to others.

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

We can argue the toss over this for days but I don’t think the lady who lost her daughter to “air pollution” (this was on the death certificate) would agree with you - of the thousands of others who suffer from the effects of air pollution every year. 

If, as you say, it is just a money making scheme and if that money is ploughed back into public transport and helps remove more pollutants from the roads, is that such a bad thing? I have no problem with people who cause the most pollution having to stump up for it.

There was a very good phone in today in which a number of health experts talked about the many effects of air pollution on the human body. Frankly I am more likely to listen to them than the selfish people who just want to do what they want despite the damage it may do to others.

Everybody has an angle. Everybody has a bias.

How about all the people who will lose their livelihoods as a result of this measure?

Look, for years the rest of the country has supported London and suffered the effects of it. It has polluted everything downstream and downwind.

The hypocracy on this thread is on another level, so none of you lot drive, fly or go on cruises. This is just the begining and will hurt the poor more than the rich, they'll just carry on doing what ever they want as they can afford to. Coming to a town near you soon, along with 15 minute city's. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Of course there was! Funny that it also just happened to agree with your point of view as well.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Scally42 said:

The hypocracy on this thread is on another level, so none of you lot drive, fly or go on cruises. This is just the begining and will hurt the poor more than the rich, they'll just carry on doing what ever they want as they can afford to. Coming to a town near you soon, along with 15 minute city's. 

I was with you until the last part. 15 minute cities is nothing more than sensible town planning ensuring that key facilities are all within a short distance of all people. The conspiracy theories around it are daft. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

However you re-package your argument SoG, it's a tax, and the responsibility lies with governments and councils to sort public transport and the environment. Another stealth tax is not needed. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scally42 said:

15 minute city's. 

Be interested to know what you understand a 15 minute city to be and how you think they might affect you. To be honest  concern with them is up there along with anti-lockdown, anti-vax, climate change denial, and the stolen election in the US in 2020, oh, and probably Brexit as well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, egg said:

I was with you until the last part. 15 minute cities is nothing more than sensible town planning ensuring that key facilities are all within a short distance of all people. The conspiracy theories around it are daft. 

It’s how we lived up until about 30 years ago before it became cool to commute an hour for work and go to out of town shopping centres. People hanker for the old days of going to local green grocers and butchers and buy locally grown produce then think it’s all a massive ploy from the government to keep an eye on us. Mental

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Winnersaint said:

Be interested to know what you understand a 15 minute city to be and how you think they might affect you. To be honest  concern with them is up there along with anti-lockdown, anti-vax, climate change denial, and the stolen election in the US in 2020, oh, and probably Brexit as well.

37 minutes ago, egg said:

Every thing to you people is a conspiracy theory. Why would you have to limit how often people travel between the borders of a 15 minute city and then fine them if they excede their permitted amount of border crossings? 

7 minutes ago, Scally42 said:

Every thing to you people is a conspiracy theory. Why would you have to limit how often people travel between the borders of a 15 minute city and then fine them if they excede their permitted amount of border crossings? 

What makes you think that's going to be a thing? 

Conspiracy theorists are falsely claiming that 15-minute cities would restrict residents to their neighbourhoods.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/15-minute-city-urban-planning-idea-conspiracy-theory-misinformation-b1062266.html

4 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Conspiracy theorists are falsely claiming that 15-minute cities would restrict residents to their neighbourhoods.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/15-minute-city-urban-planning-idea-conspiracy-theory-misinformation-b1062266.html

Are these the same conspiracy theorists who believed in the Donald Trump Russian collusion or the ones who believed the Hunter Biden laptop story was Russian disinformation, I guess you're all conspiracy theorists 

37 minutes ago, egg said:

What makes you think that's going to be a thing? 

Because in Oxford you can only cross the borders 100 times per year at certain times of the day and if you want to go to these other areas you have to use the outer ring road, how is increasing the length of a journey good for the enviroment.

Edited by Scally42
  • Like 1

Back to the main point, how many of you lot who go on about climate and polution have stopped flying, got rid of your car or stopped cruising?

Or am I right and I'm just arguing with a bunch of hypocrites who believe in anthropogenic climate change yet are too selfish to do anything themselves about it

5 minutes ago, Scally42 said:

Because in Oxford you can only cross the borders 100 times per year at certain times of the day and if you want to go to these other areas you have to use the outer ring road, how is increasing the length of a journey good for the inviroment.

That's got nothing to do with 15 minute cities. It's a completely different thing, from 2024. 

This article covers both your issues. 

https://www.timeout.com/uk/news/the-small-english-city-at-the-centre-of-the-global-15-minute-city-storm-022023

6 minutes ago, egg said:

That's got nothing to do with 15 minute cities. It's a completely different thing, from 2024. 

https://www.timeout.com/uk/news/the-small-english-city-at-the-centre-of-the-global-15-minute-city-storm-022023

If it stays like that I have no problem but we'll have to wait and see on that

11 minutes ago, Scally42 said:

Back to the main point, how many of you lot who go on about climate and polution have stopped flying, got rid of your car or stopped cruising?

Or am I right and I'm just arguing with a bunch of hypocrites who believe in anthropogenic climate change yet are too selfish to do anything themselves about it

I suspect you're absolutely bang on about the hypocrisy of it all, it was just the reference to supposed restrictions enforced in future 15 minute cities which red flagged your post.

Edited by Winnersaint
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’re all wasting your time engaging with this textbook, conspiracy theorist drivel. Imagine being so dense that you can’t understand how people can need to drive to work AND have concerns about the environment.

Have a pop at me while you're doing nothing yourself, it's not just about driving to work is it?

26 minutes ago, egg said:

What about this article, dress it up how you like he called it a 15 minute city

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23073992.traffic-filters-will-divide-city-15-minute-neighbourhoods/

13 minutes ago, Scally42 said:

What about this article, dress it up how you like he called it a 15 minute city

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/23073992.traffic-filters-will-divide-city-15-minute-neighbourhoods/

The article is based on one person's opinion. That opinion includes this:

"It is about making sure you have the community centre which has all of those essential needs, the bottle of milk, pharmacy, GP, schools."

What's wrong with that as a concept? Seems logical. 

I agree though that the suggestion that people can only travel a certain number of times from area to area is unnecessary. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

The article is based on one person's opinion. That opinion includes this:

"It is about making sure you have the community centre which has all of those essential needs, the bottle of milk, pharmacy, GP, schools."

What's wrong with that as a concept? Seems logical. 

I agree though that the suggestion that people can only travel a certain number of times from area to area is unnecessary. 

Ye but that person is" Duncan Enright, Oxfordshire County Council's cabinet member for travel" so carrys some weight. I don't have a problem with the concept, it's when it's linked with a permitt system for travelling. The guy said what it was, there was a massive kick back and now they're moving the goalposts and saying the permits are not connected to the 15 minute city.

1 hour ago, Scally42 said:

I haven’t flown for the last few years and I recently got rid of my 15 year old car.  We only have one car now between us which is obviously better for the environment and we have never been on and don’t plan to go on a cruise. Do I pass your test?

Sadly if you are relying on individuals to “do the right thing” it will take forever which is why we need things like ULEZ and government action to speed up change and conformity.

15 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I haven’t flown for the last few years and I recently got rid of my 15 year old car.  We only have one car now between us which is obviously better for the environment and we have never been on and don’t plan to go on a cruise. Do I pass your test?

Sadly if you are relying on individuals to “do the right thing” it will take forever which is why we need things like ULEZ and government action to speed up change and conformity.

To force them to do something that they don’t agree with.

13 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

I haven’t flown for the last few years and I recently got rid of my 15 year old car.  We only have one car now between us which is obviously better for the environment and we have never been on and don’t plan to go on a cruise. 

Why does everyone else have to live a miserable life just because you do? 

I fly 5 or 6 times a year, drive where the hell I like, fire up the log burner when I’m cold and have no intention of getting rid of my gas boiler. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why does everyone else have to live a miserable life just because you do? 

I fly 5 or 6 times a year, drive where the hell I like, fire up the log burner when I’m cold and have no intention of getting rid of my gas boiler. 

No you don’t, you live in a nursing home.

• Haha 2

Don’t you tell me something is not up for debate. You can’t discriminate against me. I have a view just like you.

Donald Trump is a shape shifting lizard and is trying to destroy the world 

2 minutes ago, Warriorsaint said:

Don’t you tell me something is not up for debate. You can’t discriminate against me. I have a view just like you.

Donald Trump is a shape shifting lizard and is trying to destroy the world 

Sorry but you're just another conspiracy theorist, welcome to the club. 

On 13/08/2023 at 18:59, Weston Super Saint said:

Of course there was! Funny that it also just happened to agree with your point of view as well.

The lady who spoke on an LBC show was Rosamund Addo-Kissi-Debrah. Her 9 year old daughter, Ella, is the first person to have air pollution as cause of death on her death certificate and her mother is doing the media rounds after the fuss about ULEZ. The phone in topic was about ULEZ. She has been campaigning for ULEZ and for cleaner air.

Her being on the show had absolutely nothing to do with my opinion.

Funny that.

You really are not very clever are you? Still if it amuses you to pretend that I make things up, carry on. Simple things and all that 😚

39 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

The lady who spoke on an LBC show was Rosamund Addo-Kissi-Debrah. Her 9 year old daughter, Ella, is the first person to have air pollution as cause of death on her death certificate and her mother is doing the media rounds after the fuss about ULEZ. The phone in topic was about ULEZ. She has been campaigning for ULEZ and for cleaner air.

Funny that.

You really are not very clever are you? Still if it amuses you to pretend that I make things up, carry on. Simple things and all that 😚

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64624483

it appears she died of an asthma attack? 

Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah has been calling on MPs to introduce the Clean Air (Human Rights) Bill - or "Ella's law", named after her daughter.

She said she wanted to ensure "no child in this country will die from asthma"

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-64624483

it appears she died of an asthma attack? 

Rosamund Adoo-Kissi-Debrah has been calling on MPs to introduce the Clean Air (Human Rights) Bill - or "Ella's law", named after her daughter.

She said she wanted to ensure "no child in this country will die from asthma"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-55330945

"A nine-year-old girl who died following an asthma attack has become the first person in the UK to have air pollution listed as a cause of death.

Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah, who lived near the South Circular Road in Lewisham, south-east London, died in 2013.

Southwark Coroner's Court found that air pollution "made a material contribution" to Ella's death.

Prof Gavin Shaddick, a government adviser on air pollution, called it "a landmark decision".

At the conclusion of the two-week inquest, coroner Philip Barlow said Ella had been exposed to "excessive" levels of pollution."

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

"A nine-year-old girl who died following an asthma attack has become the first person in the UK to have air pollution listed as a cause of death.

Ella Adoo-Kissi-Debrah, who lived near the South Circular Road in Lewisham, south-east London, died in 2013.

Southwark Coroner's Court found that air pollution "made a material contribution" to Ella's death.

Prof Gavin Shaddick, a government adviser on air pollution, called it "a landmark decision".

At the conclusion of the two-week inquest, coroner Philip Barlow said Ella had been exposed to "excessive" levels of pollution."

I'd like to see the coroner's findings in full before having an opinion on this. I've been acutely asthmatic since childhood. When I've suffered with my asthma there's always been a trigger, but there's never been an occasion that I've suffered when my asthma has been controlled...that part is down to me. 

Was this child's asthma controlled? If not, it should have been. Why was she subject to "excessive " levels of pollution? Could it have been kept out of the home? Could she have spent more time away from the pollution? Could her death have been avoided, despite what's in the air?

Edited by egg
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Funny that.

If something killed one of my kids, I’d want it banned totally. I wouldn’t charge people £12.50 to continue their murder spree. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

I don’t know all the ins and outs and never claimed too. I just did a quick look into it and it’s not as simple as Sog is making out. It seems the girl had quite bad asthma. The death of any child is tragic and the worst thing any one would have to deal with but it appears there was a bit more to this, with other underlying health issues, with the air pollution being a factor rather than the sole cause, which doesn’t appear to be what Sog initially would have had us believe 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I don’t know all the ins and outs and never claimed too. I just did a quick look into it and it’s not as simple as Sog is making out. It seems the girl had quite bad asthma. The death of any child is tragic and the worst thing any one would have to deal with but it appears there was a bit more to this, with other underlying health issues, with the air pollution being a factor rather than the sole cause, which doesn’t appear to be what Sog initially would have had us believe 

Oh indeed - there is a world of difference between something being the cause of death as opposed to being a major contributiing factor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

Oh indeed - there is a world of difference between something being the cause of death as opposed to being a major contributiing factor.

So the fact the child had asthma was absolutely in no way contributing?

even though her own mother said she wants to stop children dying from asthma

Edited by Turkish

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

So the fact the child had asthma was absolutely in no way contributing?

even though her own mother said she wants to stop children dying from asthma

The poor kids asthma is what killed her. The air was  contributing factor. However, many things are triggers for asthmatics, the key thing is to use the correct preventive medication to avoid those triggers making the asthma problematic. When I've let up on my preventers I've been reminded that asthmatics with controlled asthma do not die. Obviously I don't know the details around this tragic case, but the underlying cause was her asthma. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, egg said:

The poor kids asthma is what killed her. The air was  contributing factor. However, many things are triggers for asthmatics, the key thing is to use the correct preventive medication to avoid those triggers making the asthma problematic. When I've let up on my preventers I've been reminded that asthmatics with controlled asthma do not die. Obviously I don't know the details around this tragic case, but the underlying cause was her asthma. 

Just for clarity (and because I’m genuinely interested) when you say ‘preventers’, what does this mean? I’m obviously aware of the puffers that asthmatics keep but I’ll readily admit I really know nothing more outside of that. 

16 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just for clarity (and because I’m genuinely interested) when you say ‘preventers’, what does this mean? I’m obviously aware of the puffers that asthmatics keep but I’ll readily admit I really know nothing more outside of that. 

Medication (usually steroid inhaler) that reduces the inflammation (redness and swelling) in the airways that can contribute to asthma symptoms. Asthmatics should check their lung and airways performance with a peak flow meter, and have regular reviews to ensure they are controlled. My GP is brilliant - sends me texts periodically to ask how often I'm using a reliever (to help when breathing not as it should be/asthma not fully controlled) and other stuff. If he doesn't like what I say, then the asthma nurse is on the blower to remind me that I could die if I don't medicate as I should, and report issues to have meds adjusted. 

Asthma can be bloody serious (we've lost a family friend to it), but it can be controlled. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, egg said:

Medication (usually steroid inhaler) that reduces the inflammation (redness and swelling) in the airways that can contribute to asthma symptoms. Asthmatics should check their lung and airways performance with a peak flow meter, and have regular reviews to ensure they are controlled. My GP is brilliant - sends me texts periodically to ask how often I'm using a reliever (to help when breathing not as it should be/asthma not fully controlled) and other stuff. If he doesn't like what I say, then the asthma nurse is on the blower to remind me that I could die if I don't medicate as I should, and report issues to have meds adjusted. 

Asthma can be bloody serious (we've lost a family friend to it), but it can be controlled. 

I lost a friend to it about 10 years to so fully agree

I am one of five and my dad had it as do my eldest brother and youngest sister. Our whole family had to go through a load of tests as part of an experiment and research they were doing into asthma at the university about 25 years ago. I don’t remember the results or why some of the family have it and others don’t. I have no idea if it’s related but the three of us that don’t have it are more healthy generally than those who don’t, played sports as kids and into later life, eat better etc but they could be less athletic because of their asthma I really don’t know. 

anyway back to the original point it’s pretty clear that despite what was on the death certificate it was asthma that was the cause and the contributing factor was the environmental effects not the other way round. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1