Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Are there any players that make a truly full recovery from these sorts of injuries? In my mind, it feels like they never really reach the standard they were before, even if they do get back to a similar level?

I think it depends on the type of player. Those that rely on explosive acceleration seem to return more limited.

Your bog standard centre back who never really had any pace to begin with seems to get back relatively unscathed. 

Don't know if that's borne out by the evidence, but that's how it appears to me: mobility never quite recovers, but that's more noticeable in some players (wingers, strikers) than others.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I think it depends on the type of player. Those that rely on explosive acceleration seem to return more limited.

Your bog standard centre back who never really had any pace to begin with seems to get back relatively unscathed. 

Don't know if that's borne out by the evidence, but that's how it appears to me: mobility never quite recovers, but that's more noticeable in some players (wingers, strikers) than others.

Jay Rodriguez certainly became a completely different forward after his.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

I always wince when they do the knee slide celebration !  I took 6 months recovery from what was minor damage playing at school , they said it was housemaids knee ! No op just physio , probably moved on a bit since then with treatment.

Was everything in black and white back then?

4 hours ago, Saint86 said:

Are there any players that make a truly full recovery from these sorts of injuries? In my mind, it feels like they never really reach the standard they were before, even if they do get back to a similar level?

Shearer smashed over 30 goals the season after he did his. Robert Pires was decent too. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, egg said:

Shearer smashed over 30 goals the season after he did his. Robert Pires was decent too. 

I had totally forgotten he did it tbh, and i can only vaguely recall it now. I guess perhaps that's the nature of these injuries - we more readily remember the ones that ruin players. 

I'd say the combination of pace and power was a large part of Broja's game, but if he does drop a yard of pace I suppose he could do worse than follow a shearer style career 😅.

Edited by Saint86

On 14/12/2022 at 18:51, egg said:

Didn’t know Shearer did his, that’s mental when you consider how good his goal ratio despite losing about a year out!!

Hopefully Broja goes on to make a recovery, crazy how the same injury can have such varying outcomes for sportsmen and women.

9 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Didn’t know Shearer did his, that’s mental when you consider how good his goal ratio despite losing about a year out!!

Hopefully Broja goes on to make a recovery, crazy how the same injury can have such varying outcomes for sportsmen and women.

I know he did his achillies tendon , not quite so nippy after that injury.