Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

I think the Broja ship sailed towards the end of last season.

He very much downed tools after his mini burst of form mid season. He had absolutely nothing positive and expressed now thanks to RH or the coaching team for his experience last year.

I reckon he was holding out for a bigger club to take him in the Premier League. A West Ham, an Arsenal - maybe even some form of regular at Chelsea but it’s is evident he isn’t going to get any of that.
It wouldn’t surprise me if we went back for him on loan in the last week of the window if he was still available. But in the meantime it’s worth us moving on. 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Seems to be noise from Chelsea fans he's discussing a new deal there. I think that would finally put to rest any hope of sugning him, if some still existed...

I don’t think we’re interested given his attitude in the last quarter of last season and there are better options out there.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jawillwill said:

Armando Broj-anonymous. 

47 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Had one good run shortly after he came on but then I barely noticed him.

Maybe he knows he's about to rejoin us and therefore wanted us to win...? ;)

(If that does attract the wrath of  @FarehamSaintJames I don't know what will... :) )

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, trousers said:

Maybe he knows he's about to rejoin us and therefore wanted us to win...? ;)

(If that does attract the wrath of  @FarehamSaintJames I don't know what will... :) )

He certainly put himself about when he came on. I don’t dislike the bloke but he still has a lot to learn and needs consistency and game time. He’s not going to get much of it at Chelsea.

32 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Maybe he wants to play for Chelsea, and he's got a great contract and chance to do that?

You mean a player who has been on Chelsea’s books since he was 8 years old actually has a burning desire to play for Chelsea’s first team?

Nah, I’m not buying it.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Maybe he wants to play for Chelsea, and he's got a great contract and chance to do that?

Think you're missing the point here.  By signing a new contract he's making it harder to move to another club where he can excel and then get a move back to Chelsea.  By simply staying at Chelsea he risks not getting a move back to Chelsea................

48 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Think you're missing the point here.  By signing a new contract he's making it harder to move to another club where he can excel and then get a move back to Chelsea.  By simply staying at Chelsea he risks not getting a move back to Chelsea................

Surely, even with his new contract, he could go on loan, excel and then go back to Chelsea.  Worked for Mason Mount? In fact it sort of worked for Broja, in that his loan with us probably lead to his new contract and the chance for some sub appearances for them followed perhaps by a start or two when Aubameyang gets bored and stops contributing.

He could:-

Be one of the few players to make it through to hold down a regular spot in the first team - Mount, James

Due to a lack of striker options, get enough ad hoc game time in cup games, and as an impact sub in league games to jkeep him happy.

Get more lucrative loan moves to European trophy level clubs, do well enough to get game time on his return.

Secure any number of loan deals to mid table or lower clubs. When he finally leaves, people will be reminded that he hadn't left years before.

Vanish into their squad, without kicking a ball for the first team.

I the first half of last season, I was hoping he might come back here on loan so he could continue to get regular first team football in the Premier League. I also thought his development might be better served by playing nearly as much football at a club playing in European competition.

As everyone's form dipped last season, and there seemed to be a bit of a peeved Ralph reaction to Broja, I thought it would have to be the latter. Chelsea have a cottage industry of laoning out players. So, if he's not getting decent minutes this season, I'm sure they will be able to find him a hime to develop.

21 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Surely, even with his new contract, he could go on loan, excel and then go back to Chelsea.  Worked for Mason Mount? In fact it sort of worked for Broja, in that his loan with us probably lead to his new contract and the chance for some sub appearances for them followed perhaps by a start or two when Aubameyang gets bored and stops contributing.

I was taking the mickey but I agree with you.  Signing a new contract wouldn't be a great idea if there wasn't a route to the first team but in the case of Broja there is.  He's getting minutes and they're still light up front.  If I were Broja then I'd be signing that contract as well.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Poor guy, sounded like the Nevillegasm for that Torres goal before I realised it was Armando screaming in pain. Was on the pitch when this happened to a team mate at Sunday league level, horrible to witness.

Hopefully with age and technology on his side he recovers to fulfil a career still. I bare him no ill will for the way he dropped off under Ralph, he was probably as fucked off as we all were with the bizzare squad and formation selections.

37 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Poor guy, sounded like the Nevillegasm for that Torres goal before I realised it was Armando screaming in pain. Was on the pitch when this happened to a team mate at Sunday league level, horrible to witness.

Hopefully with age and technology on his side he recovers to fulfil a career still. I bare him no ill will for the way he dropped off under Ralph, he was probably as fucked off as we all were with the bizzare squad and formation selections.

A bit of a classless time to throw in a dig at the manager. Whatever the case, this looks like an awful injury and every time I've seen someone go down with an ACL they've been screaming in agony. Wish the guy well, an awful time in your career to have it happen.

• Like 1

I think he signed a new 6 year deal in the summer with Chelsea. I’d assume on wages higher than we would have offered. So you’d imagine financially he’s pretty well protected.

He showed some moments for us that made you think he’s going to be a big player and I really hope, whatever the injury, that it doesn’t limit him reaching his potential. Would be very surprised if it isn’t an ACL, does seem to have all the hallmarks.

• Like 1

Sounds horrible, and can only hope it's not as serious as it looks.

I came into the thread thinking it would just be news on him getting some goals, with the slight hope that Chelsea had not only bought 3 strikers, but had disciplined him for constantly declaring his love for Saints in their dressing room.

So, that turned out to be pretty much the opposite of something good. Hope he makes as speedy recovery as possible.

While terrible for anyone, there's something even worse when it's a young player with a whole career ahead of them at the highest level, that's now at risk.

I've no desire to look at the video, terrible injury and can only hope he recovers well - not always the case. I'm a Broja fan and held hope of getting him back on loan but will just be good to see him back playing now.

Hopefully hasn't set Livramento's mental recovery back, which can be an issue with these injuries, ex-team mate both here and at Chelsea, likely to remain in contact.

Best wishes Armando.

• Like 1

Sad to see and this one was caused by a collision of players where ACLs have traditionally happened. Overall there seems to have been far more ACL injuries in the last decade than any before it. Wonder why? Changes to pitches? Style of boots? Pace of the game? Although lower leagues seem to have far more too. 

12 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Sad to see and this one was caused by a collision of players where ACLs have traditionally happened. Overall there seems to have been far more ACL injuries in the last decade than any before it. Wonder why? Changes to pitches? Style of boots? Pace of the game? Although lower leagues seem to have far more too. 

Might be better physio/warm ups/nutrition/recovery methods these days in the top tiers, I guess

• Like 1

Gutted for him and a massive shame. At least he’s got one of his best mates (Tino) to help him through it, having just done the same thing. Hopefully he can be back to playing towards the start of next season, realistically probably makes it very difficult for his longer term career at Chelsea. Expect to see him loaned out maybe next January for a few months and see how he gets on before reassessing him in summer 2024. 

Fingers crossed he can come back stronger. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Are there any players that make a truly full recovery from these sorts of injuries? In my mind, it feels like they never really reach the standard they were before, even if they do get back to a similar level?

Well RVN won the golden boot a few times, I’d say that was doing alright.

• Like 3