Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

On 09/07/2022 at 12:37, Matthew Le God said:

No, not even close. Some Saints fans underestimate just how much Saints are paying players. Saints have an annual wage bill of £113m, that isn't from paying mid range players £20k p/w.

I'm certainly not one of those that underestimates our own player wages. You misunderstood my post. I was wondering more if players like Broja were already on £40k a week at Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

No chance we’d compete with that. And tbh, not sure I’d feel comfortable paying that for him.

I'm a bit 'hmmmm' about this.

Very good at times: some good finishing, but too selfish, doesn't hold it up as well, or provide the physical presence I'd expect. Has some developing to do.

Like him, but £30M seems very steep.

18 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

No chance we’d compete with that. And tbh, not sure I’d feel comfortable paying that for him.

12 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Very good at times: some good finishing, but too selfish, doesn't hold it up as well, or provide the physical presence I'd expect. Has some developing to do.

I'd like to think our scouting dept could find better value for that kind of money. As the whole team's form fell off a cliff, it's harsh to single him out at his stage of development. I recall Ralph's comment along the lines of him not being quite the same player that was going through a purple patch. Whether that was a reaction to loss of form, the chances he got, his head being turned or Ralph chucking him under a bus, I don't know. I did think at that point, we might not be seeing him back.

17 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

£30m is mad money for him. And not sure we’ll compete with it. I like him but there is a long way go tothere It’s a punt no doubt. 

Yeah as much as I liked him if we are paying £30 million I would want someone more proven I think.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

For us to sign him at that price we would have to expect him to turn into a 50m+ player in a few years to resell. Cant see it myself.

Tbh the time to buy was last year with a buy back clause, but we were so skint we couldn t manage it.

Got a feeling our striker deal has been agreed with some club but we are waiting for them to get in a replacement.

IMHO that rules out Delap and many of the top clubs as they never worry about money in replacing squad players.

Could be the championship or abroad!

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

At half the price I’d still have to think about it.

At half the price I would call it the bargain of the season. Guessing he'll likely end up at West Ham on a very good salary, will be something like £25m + add-ons (maybe up to £30m) fulfil his potential and then move on giving WHU a healthy profit on the deal.

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Got a feeling our striker deal has been agreed with some club but we are waiting for them to get in a replacement.

IMHO that rules out Delap and many of the top clubs as they never worry about money in replacing squad players.

Could be the championship or abroad!

I think we will get two strikers including Delap. He's only just got back from a Championship so probably on holiday. Like you suggest I think our main target is someone else and it sounds logical that we are waiting for the chain to fall into place IF we are buying a decent one. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alehouseboys said:

At half the price I would call it the bargain of the season. Guessing he'll likely end up at West Ham on a very good salary, will be something like £25m + add-ons (maybe up to £30m) fulfil his potential and then move on giving WHU a healthy profit on the deal.

Yep, agree with this. He is going to be a top striker

I find some of the comments about Broja to be quite bizarre.

For those saying at £25-£30m they would massively avoid, can I ask what you actually expect?

If we sign Liam Delap permanently I am sure the fee would be nearly £20m. I think he has made 2 sub apps in the PL.

We have also spent upwards of £12m each on Bazunu and Lavia who have never played in the PL.

Yes, Broja didnt score since Feb. But as we all know, he was playing in a team that became woeful and got next to no service.

What we saw first hand was a player who at times absolute killed good, experienced PL centre backs and who could create chances for himself from just beyond the halfway line.

A player who is decent now and who in a couple of years could be one of the best strikers in the league.

Now, its pretty clear we are out of the running for him, with bids from West Ham, Everton, AC Milan and Napoli according to Secret Scout.

But IMO there is almost no chance we will sign someone better and with more potential than Broja, so I struggle to understand what some of you are really expecting us to do with £20m? If ever there was a player to go up to £30m on its Broja and we will be weaker up front without him unquestionably.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I find some of the comments about Broja to be quite bizarre.

For those saying at £25-£30m they would massively avoid, can I ask what you actually expect?

If we sign Liam Delap permanently I am sure the fee would be nearly £20m. I think he has made 2 sub apps in the PL.

We have also spent upwards of £12m each on Bazunu and Lavia who have never played in the PL.

Yes, Broja didnt score since Feb. But as we all know, he was playing in a team that became woeful and got next to no service.

What we saw first hand was a player who at times absolute killed good, experienced PL centre backs and who could create chances for himself from just beyond the halfway line.

A player who is decent now and who in a couple of years could be one of the best strikers in the league.

Now, its pretty clear we are out of the running for him, with bids from West Ham, Everton, AC Milan and Napoli according to Secret Scout.

But IMO there is almost no chance we will sign someone better and with more potential than Broja, so I struggle to understand what some of you are really expecting us to do with £20m? If ever there was a player to go up to £30m on its Broja and we will be weaker up front without him unquestionably.

It is all part of the conditioning many saints fans have gone through, that spending normal premier league money is 'out of our league'

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Suhari said:

The thing about him is. When we are playing well as a team, he's ridiculously good, shades of Haaland about his direct play. But when the team is out of form he goes missing. Although I guess you could say that about everyone

We should've at £25m gone for him, as above suffered when the team turned to shit , even at £30m we'll make money on him in 2yrs time, still small club mentality buying for £10-£15m then selling for £20m if you're lucky you haven't bought a dud, or get relegated as our young team have been rolled over time and time again 

2 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

We should've at £25m gone for him, as above suffered when the team turned to shit , even at £30m we'll make money on him in 2yrs time, still small club mentality buying for £10-£15m then selling for £20m if you're lucky you haven't bought a dud, or get relegated as our young team have been rolled over time and time again 

It's pretty clear we don't have the budget (without selling JWP and KWP etc which I'm hopeful we don't this summer at least) to but 5 or 6 players at 20-30m but perhaps, and only time will tell, perhaps we can and will sign a striker for 25-30m. 

I would hope, expect us to shift a few Redmond, Djeneppo, Walcott, Bednarek or Stephens or Lyanco, and Diallo and so you'd expect those sales to generate 30-40m maybe and so you'd hope that would go on the 2 forwards we need!!

13 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

It's clear that if we wanted to, we have the money to put down £25-30m on a player.

But because we have so much to do (full back, goal keeper, cb, cm, number 10's, striker etc) we cannot afford to use an enormous chunk of our budget on just one position. If we get ourselves a settled team in a year that doesn't require as much work, then we will probably break out transfer record. We need to get ourselves a decent team first though.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's clear that if we wanted to, we have the money to put down £25-30m on a player.

But because we have so much to do (full back, goal keeper, cb, cm, number 10's, striker etc) we cannot afford to use an enormous chunk of our budget on just one position. If we get ourselves a settled team in a year that doesn't require as much work, then we will probably break out transfer record. We need to get ourselves a decent team first though.

I kind of get this view. But also look at our squad list. Without spending bigger on a couple of attacking players of higher quality we will neber be settled because this team won't create or score enough.

I like our business so far but its hard to argue with any certainty that it has actually improved our first XI. In fact, without Broja (and to a lesser extent Forster) its very arguable that right now, as it stands, our actual team is weaker than it was.

Obviously a decent way to go and encouraging signs, but we newd to break £20m at some stage surely?!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

I kind of get this view. But also look at our squad list. Without spending bigger on a couple of attacking players of higher quality we will neber be settled because this team won't create or score enough.

I like our business so far but its hard to argue with any certainty that it has actually improved our first XI. In fact, without Broja (and to a lesser extent Forster) its very arguable that right now, as it stands, our actual team is weaker than it was.

Obviously a decent way to go and encouraging signs, but we newd to break £20m at some stage surely?!

It can be difficult to get back on the road after a carrillo crash. 🙂 

There may be that higher quality available for less now , due to contracts etc. As you say plenty of time left, and I'd not complain if they splurged in a way that wouldn't hamstring us going forward.

Hopefully with fewer gaps to plug in future windows, they may be able to focus the funds on a couple of higher outlay signings too.

2 hours ago, manji said:

I reckon we are getting Delap and have Headline striker lined up.

I definitely think we’ll get two of which Delap will be one, the other probably someone from a foreign league with a couple of seasons under his belt. No idea who.

53 minutes ago, Appy said:

I'm really surprised Newcastle haven't won this race, they clearly wanted him and it's not like the don't have money to burn. Weirdly they're being oddly sensible about their spending so far - I, and probably a lot of others, thought they'd be really splashing the cash this summer. Still time I guess...

28 minutes ago, Turkish said:

West Ham trying to get a deal agreed for Scamacca from Sassuolo for €40m wonder if that will have any bearing on if they push on with Broja or not

Very similar types, tall, pacy, great feet. I'd be surprised if they signed them both, but if they did they'd have a lot of power up front.

Sassuolo seem to have had one or decent players in the last few years. He looks another.

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I'm really surprised Newcastle haven't won this race, they clearly wanted him and it's not like the don't have money to burn. Weirdly they're being oddly sensible about their spending so far - I, and probably a lot of others, thought they'd be really splashing the cash this summer. Still time I guess...

They're probably giving Eddie Howe a chance to stabilise first. Then either get in a Pep-like manager or splash once they have confidence they're a top half side.

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

This is a good watch on the topic...

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He doesn't get much wrong so guess he's off there then. Hopefully we start to see a few more links this week as it's gone very quiet.

That’s the thing with Saints, sometimes it will go quiet and then an unexpected signing will materialise out of nowhere. It would  be a crying shame if Broja went to WH - a player we’ve built knowledge around and a young striker who will only get better. Instead I expect we’ll go with another unproven player and risk another poor performance season…a dangerous game when other teams are improving.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM

59 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He doesn't get much wrong so guess he's off there then. Hopefully we start to see a few more links this week as it's gone very quiet.

Yes our signings have not gone under the radar like they did in the past.

On that basis we could be a while off yet as the links are dry.

Really don’t have a clue who we could get as a new first choice striker.

Even if the club want to break our transfer record the player will probably want better.

Will definitely be interesting.

Edited by northam soul

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Tossers. 

Not really, they've done brilliant. Moyes has done a great job and in reality are probably one of the most attractive teams at the moment for a player outside of the top 4-6. Decent european campaign last season and European football this season. Plus if we like or not being London based is attractive for a lot of players. Crystal Palace are also building a good young side.