Armando Broja

Matthew Le God

On 18/07/2022 at 10:54, S-Clarke said:

£25-30m is a huge amount of money on someone who in the main is still what I'd class as an inexperienced/unproven player. I think that fee is paying for the potential as he clearly has a ton of it and will become top class - but for that fee I'd expect someone a tiny bit more experienced. Unless any buy-back is in the region of £60m then it's a poor deal for West Ham.

I'd 'hope' our scouting is more than good enough to find a player who can score us 9/10 goals and is in and around the £10-15m mark.

Basically we missed a trick not signing Broja last summer, I think we probably wanted to but we had no money (I reckon we'd have got him for £10-15m).

We should or probably left Armstrong and gone for it with broja in hindsight.. 

even on the YouTube vids broja looked. Something else 

12 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I do wonder if this means another loan is on the cards, if this is true and they have turned down West Ham’s bid.

If it does we could still be in the running, sign a striker, get Broja as a loan = 2 strikers, job done ! 🤣

2 hours ago, beatlesaint said:

I do wonder if this means another loan is on the cards, if this is true and they have turned down West Ham’s bid.

If it does we could still be in the running, sign a striker, get Broja as a loan = 2 strikers, job done ! 🤣

That would be amazing, hope it happens :)

• Like 1

Was trying to think of other options then saw Bathshuayi is back at Chelsea too .

I think we are missing that big target man and both Che or Adam A could play off him.

Not seen by anyone linked to him lately and alternative to Broja

Edited by Give it to Ron

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

This just sounds like Chelsea posturing to get themselves the biggest fee they can get. You can see it from Broja's point of view, he wants the oppertunity to be the main man at a club and lead the line, which I assume he will do at WHU. He has less oppertunity to do that at Chelsea and at best, you'd imagine, he'd be a bench player with occasional starts. 

Players win these battles most of the time if they want the move.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

This just sounds like Chelsea posturing to get themselves the biggest fee they can get. You can see it from Broja's point of view, he wants the oppertunity to be the main man at a club and lead the line, which I assume he will do at WHU. He has less oppertunity to do that at Chelsea and at best, you'd imagine, he'd be a bench player with occasional starts. 

Players win these battles most of the time if they want the move.

I can see him being a massive success at West Ham. Moyes will play to his strengths 

11 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I can see him being a massive success at West Ham. Moyes will play to his strengths 

WHU are certainly due a succesful striker signing. They've spent fortunes on centre forwards over the last 15 or so years and a winger, converted forward, turned into their most potent threat in that time.

30 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

You mean unlike our coaching supremo who having seen what his strengths were decided to ignore them and plonked him way upfield on his own?

10 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we've got £40m kicking around down the back of the sofa!

people keep telling me SR are doing things differently, so who knows.but in reality we ain't spending £40m on a player.

Jury is still out as to whether they are investing/loaning/gifting much at all. Have they just used the cash from the loan to sign these promising youngsters and are running the club as a self sustainable business? 

If that's the case, we probably need to sell Bednarek sharpish.

1 minute ago, Chez said:

people keep telling me SR are doing things differently, so who knows.but in reality we ain't spending £40m on a player.

Jury is still out as to whether they are investing/loaning/gifting much at all. Have they just used the cash from the loan to sign these promising youngsters and are running the club as a self sustainable business? 

I don't believe the loan has been touched, in fact there was chatter that they were looking at ways to clear that this year. 

The thing is what we're doing, as others have said, is what pretty much every PL club can do with a decent engaged owner. The money you get from TV alone is enough to make a signing with.

I think they've invested a bit of money, not huge amounts, but enough to enable us to move and operate like any other PL club. Being able to approach coaches who are already in jobs, signing players before selling etc. They appreciate that the initial investment will likely return rewards in the future, so it's a case of speculating to accumulate - something we couldn't even broach under Gao.

The thing is they don't need to rip up the book and change everything, by just being engaged and offering a bit of support we are already in a different league.

• Like 3

On 19/07/2022 at 17:30, pimpin4rizeal said:

We should or probably left Armstrong and gone for it with broja in hindsight.. 

even on the YouTube vids broja looked. Something else 

He had just signed a 5 year deal with Chelsea and was with them in pre season, plus we were still stuck with Gao then. £20m maybe but similar to the debates on the main summer transfer thread about Liam Delap if we had eg big risk, unproven etc. Adam Armstrong is a separate story but I don’t think he is being well utilised or coached, had a decent start but has gone from instinctive to hesitant and kept out of the side last season by a 35 year old that has just signed for Reading. Unless the coaching improves and the 10s area gets serious investment and fresh faces/players out, Erling Haaland would struggle let alone a £15m player from Blackburn. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Chez said:

I have to disagree with this. I think SR are just going about their business without telling everyone (us included) what they're actually out to do. There have been a few murmurs from out transfers/links to suggest that when we're approaching players we're doing so with a "project" in mind, which would suggest a fair improvement on investment from what we've seen over the last near ten years. They just aren't shouting about the fact. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I have to disagree with this. I think SR are just going about their business without telling everyone (us included) what they're actually out to do. There have been a few murmurs from out transfers/links to suggest that when we're approaching players we're doing so with a "project" in mind, which would suggest a fair improvement on investment from what we've seen over the last near ten years. They just aren't shouting about the fact. 

You maybe correct but buying a decent striker is not easy especially as a club we do not pay really high wages and are not likely to be in the top half of the PL

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't believe the loan has been touched, in fact there was chatter that they were looking at ways to clear that this year. 

The thing is what we're doing, as others have said, is what pretty much every PL club can do with a decent engaged owner. The money you get from TV alone is enough to make a signing with.

I think they've invested a bit of money, not huge amounts, but enough to enable us to move and operate like any other PL club. Being able to approach coaches who are already in jobs, signing players before selling etc. They appreciate that the initial investment will likely return rewards in the future, so it's a case of speculating to accumulate - something we couldn't even broach under Gao.

The thing is they don't need to rip up the book and change everything, by just being engaged and offering a bit of support we are already in a different league.

There is no evidence of SR: 

A) not touching the £28m in the bank left over from the loan - and why wouldn't they use this money? It's the club's money in the club's bank account.

B) paying down/off the loan this year - but I sure hope they are as the debt will continue to grow.

C) SR investing/putting their own money into the club -  the transfer fees paid so far could be covered by the existing money in the bank account.

You could argue that the transfers we have made so far would have been made should Gao have remained the owner. Not sure we are now in a different league. I think I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a couple of years financial accounts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

No, I saw a Tweet on Twitter and posted it in a relevant thread to spark discussion. That is how football forums work. 

Someone may point out that telling us the source of the Tweet was unnecessary. Sorry, couldn't help myself.

• Haha 3

Right I'll spark the Broja discussion that MLG wanted

If indeed Fab is right, and he usually is, not sure it changes the fact that Chelsea want more than we are willing to pay for him.

I reckon this drags on until deadline day, which isn't helpful for us.

4 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

If indeed Fab is right, and he usually is, not sure it changes the fact that Chelsea want more than we are willing to pay for him.

It’s an interesting one because there’s so many seemingly conflicting stories.  I read he wanted out.  TT say they want him.  

I imagine Chelsea will sign more forwards late on and shift him out. 

Don’t Newcastle want a striker?

13 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s an interesting one because there’s so many seemingly conflicting stories.  I read he wanted out.  TT say they want him.  

I imagine Chelsea will sign more forwards late on and shift him out. 

Don’t Newcastle want a striker?

Both these things can be true right? 

I can't see us waiting until the end of the window. We need a striker too much.

Broja has a contract until 2026 so really he might just have to respect Chelsea's wishes. Or we take him on loan.

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

West Ham played Chelsea brilliantly. They managed to use Broja to get a decent deal on Scamacca and now Chelsea are left hanging.

Chelsea are obviously open to selling Broja otherwise they wouldn’t have let him fly back from the pre season tour, and despite what Tuchel might say, they view Broja as a saleable asset.

Way I see it is Chelsea now have to re-evaluate their asking price cos I don’t see anyone matching the West Ham bid unless Newcastle step in (which I think they would have done if they were serious).

All slightly more positive for us I reckon.

• Like 1

Chelsea don't have any strikers though, and seemingly want to get rid of Werner (but are having issues with people taking his wages) so Broja could quite easily play there if Tuchel likes him and they basically only have Havertz up front. 

It also doesn't make such sense we still are in for him when we are signing Mara and still apparently putting in bids for Delap. 

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

Chelsea don't have any strikers though, and seemingly want to get rid of Werner (but are having issues with people taking his wages) so Broja could quite easily play there if Tuchel likes him and they basically only have Havertz up front. 

It also doesn't make such sense we still are in for him when we are signing Mara and still apparently putting in bids for Delap. 

If we look at West Ham and their pursuit then it makes sense to put bids in for multiple strikers. If Man City or Chelsea is looking to drive up the price then they also have to be aware that we have other options. If a potentially selling club thinks they are our only option then it gives them a stronger negotiating position.

From Saints' perspective it would be great if we got either Broja or Delap. It would also make sense to have other targets because we may struggle to get either.

Tuchel has always been reluctant to let him be sold and even more so after Lukaku was sold.

I suspect West Ham were willing to pay a higher fee but no buyback option.

They had two offers on going which is sensible and then pulled the plug on one.

13 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Tuchel has always been reluctant to let him be sold and even more so after Lukaku was sold.

I suspect West Ham were willing to pay a higher fee but no buyback option.

They had two offers on going which is sensible and then pulled the plug on one.

Lukaku is a one year loan , currently they are doing a deal for another year . After losing 4-0 to Arsenal Tuchel has gone full Saints web in his reaction saying they won’t be ready for 6th Aug and need a load more signings 😄

Oh I really do wish A former poster was still about to see all this.

The current European champions being interested in a player, who the former European champions don’t want to sell. The same player, that he spent all last season, trying his hardest, to point out was shit. 

Meanwhile, he with a higher ceiling is being linked with errrr Watford on loan. 

classic. 

Edited by Dman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 5

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

That’s us out of the running then 😂

I think it’s time for us to move on. A shame, clearly a really talent kid. Got bags of potential and even if he does / did want the move here, I’m not sure Chelsea want to sell… especially within our budget. 

Move on look elsewhere.. if we haven’t already. 

• Like 3