Thanks, and fingers crossed!

Winnersaint

Following the recent sad death of Greg Gilbert from bowel cancer I mentioned that my wife had stage 4 bowel cancer also and that she’d been given a fairly bleak outlook with treatment withdrawn, looking at nature taking its course.
Firstly, big thanks for the kind messages that resulted. It helps, big time.
Secondly, we may now have a glimmer of hope in the form of Professor Jamie Murphy at Imperial Collage Hospital in London. She had a meeting with her newly assigned oncologist yesterday at the Berkshire Cancer Centre which wasn’t particularly positive who asked us to chase up the second opinion we’d sought from Prof Murphy before she could decide on future steps. This my wife did, and today she had a phone clinic appointment with the man himself. Things looking up, maybe not straightforward, but in his eyes do nothing is not an option. She’s still in the game.

• Like 13

I never know what to say to this kind of thing, other than wishing you my sincerest best wishes. That probably sounds a little hollow from a stranger on the internet but I doubt there’s a person out there who can’t relate to your situation in some context. Keep fighting!

21 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I never know what to say to this kind of thing, other than wishing you my sincerest best wishes. That probably sounds a little hollow from a stranger on the internet but I doubt there’s a person out there who can’t relate to your situation in some context. Keep fighting!

Thanks and don’t worry. The fact that that people respond is enough. I’m pretty sure that had we not been through what we’ve been through I would be exactly the same. If nothing else our experience has enabled us to openly talk about cancer so it appears entirely normal.  I appreciate that for those who’ve never been in the ‘cancer bubble’ it’s a bit of an elephant in the room. I have always maintained that I will be my wife’s strongest advocate in how she deals with her condition but also that I would prod and prompt via social media to raise awareness of bowel cancer which is my sole motive in posting.

• Like 2

Cheers. To anyone in a similar position now or in the future, please feel free to PM me. I can't offer anything but a listening ear, but in my experience that's a help. I know also that you can't always rely on mainstream cancer support. Macmillan for example. probably due to the pandemic, aren't as easily accessible as their adverts suggest.

https://www.cancerresearchuk.org/

https://www.bowelcanceruk.org.uk/

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Winnersaint said:

Following the recent sad death of Greg Gilbert from bowel cancer I mentioned that my wife had stage 4 bowel cancer also and that she’d been given a fairly bleak outlook with treatment withdrawn, looking at nature taking its course.
Firstly, big thanks for the kind messages that resulted. It helps, big time.
Secondly, we may now have a glimmer of hope in the form of Professor Jamie Murphy at Imperial Collage Hospital in London. She had a meeting with her newly assigned oncologist yesterday at the Berkshire Cancer Centre which wasn’t particularly positive who asked us to chase up the second opinion we’d sought from Prof Murphy before she could decide on future steps. This my wife did, and today she had a phone clinic appointment with the man himself. Things looking up, maybe not straightforward, but in his eyes do nothing is not an option. She’s still in the game.

I am sorry about your sad news. We have a relative and neighbours also fighting cancer at the moment and it seems that the battle has been made harder by the pandemic. It is good to read that you have had some positive news and I hope that this leads to better things for you both. Wishing your wife and yourself much strength in your fight against this awful disease. 

• Like 1