The Mental Thread (Split)

Saint Fan CaM

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

God knows what you're babbling about now. Where have I said anything about Ralph’s recent results being exceptional or even good? Christ.

All I've seen on here is "let's recruit Eddie Howe as Ralph’s assistant" - fucking mental. And then let's use a club with no wins and below us in the bloody table as a role model example of a fantastic coaching appointment. You can hardly blame me for being facetious when faced with such horseshit.

Ralph Hasenhuttl is accountable for his own backroom team in the sane way he's accountable for the team he puts out.

I just don't agree that he needs assistants forced on him, I don't think he needs help parachuted from above. I don't think we are a bloody assistant manager away from triumph.

He is making these choices, its on him. If he fails, then he fails on his own terms. Let's hope doesn't.

And there we have it… the usual slip into personal insults. Why do you feel it necessary to label someone ‘mental’ when you don’t know them?  Outrageous and in the same league as racial or homophobic abuse. Well done.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

And there we have it… the usual slip into personal insults. Why do you feel it necessary to label someone ‘mental’ when you don’t know them?  Outrageous and in the same league as racial or homophobic abuse. Well done.

Oh come on, you weren't being labelled "mental". Rather the suggestion that we should hire Eddie Howe as Ralph's assistant was criticised, and rightly so because it wasn't a great suggestion. 

Howe is a manager in his own right. He wouldn't want an assistants gig. Ralph wouldn't want an experienced Premier league manager looking over his shoulder. An assistant manager ain't likely to be our saviour. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

So just to recap, you wilfully misrepresent what I've been saying (suggesting I am saying that Ralph’s results in 2021 have been exceptional) and call me facetious, and thats a-ok.

But if I reply by saying your idea of Howe being recruited is mental (to be honest I couldn't remember who's stupid idea it was) I suddenly as bad as a racist or a homophobe.

Right you are then. Right you fucking are.

59 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

So just to recap, you wilfully misrepresent what I've been saying (suggesting I am saying that Ralph’s results in 2021 have been exceptional) and call me facetious, and thats a-ok.

But if I reply by saying your idea of Howe being recruited is mental (to be honest I couldn't remember who's stupid idea it was) I suddenly as bad as a racist or a homophobe.

Attacking posters again are you little man !! You hide behind that fucking keyboard and spout you’re boring shit! 
Gutless cunt !!! Climb out you’re hole and actually go to a game !! I’d love to Bump into you !!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Attacking posters again are you little man !! You hide behind that fucking keyboard and spout you’re boring shit! 
Gutless cunt !!! Climb out you’re hole and actually go to a game !! I’d love to Bump into you !!

Not sure that post is called for on this forum. Here's your last post to me, a couple of days ago.

On 14/10/2021 at 11:19, Chris cooper said:

Calm the fuck down cockwomble !! You’re boring !! Do fuck off and do some under water farts you boring cunt !! 

Pretty sure it is you doing the attacking, not me.

Enjoy the match.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

I have the grace to forgive you for labelling me mental in World Mental Health week, but thankfully this will be the last post of yours I will have the misfortune to read on here.

12 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I have the grace to forgive you for labelling me mental in World Mental Health week, but thankfully this will be the last post of yours I will have the misfortune to read on here.

People can see what I wrote and know that that's a lie. You're a liar.

They can also see that you called me "as bad as a racist or a homophobe" which is extremely offensive, and other people can see that too.

So don't try and quote "world mental health week" at me when all you're doing is smearing me with demonstrable lies. "Wilful misrepresentation" and "slandering people" is in the WMH day pamphlet is it? That makes people feel better does it? That's good for mental health is it?

The fact is that you know you're in the wrong and chicken-shitting off to the ignore button just proves my point.

Slander someone then run away: probably page four of the World Mental Health Day play book. Absolute role model behaviour.

Grow up, and start to think about how to word your apology.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, whelk said:

Interesting background cheers.  More you know about people the harder it is to be unkind or rude. Which is why social media can be so vile.

hopefully you have got a thick skin for the abuse you get on here albeit some of your own making

No Whelk, I don’t have a thick skin which is why I spent a great deal of time in therapy. But ask yourself this, do I come on here regularly and abuse people? Do the people who abuse me abuse others on a regular basis too? If I was being abused by regular moderate posters I would have a problem with that. Social media presents a huge problem with people’s mental health. Anonymity means that it is very easy for people to abuse others with no accountability so it is no wonder that this is a massive problem. I think we see here that the same exchanges probably wouldn’t happen if you were speaking to people in a pub. Many threads end up with abuse flying around and usually from the same people. It is not just football forums where this happens. I have seen the same things happen on different forums and you can guarantee that there will always be a small number of posters who will be looking to cause friction. Let’s call it for what it is, bullying. You say that I bring some of it on myself. I am not sure that anyone deserves to be bullied.
My wife went through a period of serious MH problems not so long ago. She worked for a couple of people we knew from our local and had no problems for 3 years but then she started to get bullied by her boss to the extent that she ended up being signed off and on meds. She is still on meds but fortunately has found employment with people who appreciate her and her work and her self esteem is gradually growing again. 
It should not be the case that people you disagree with you abuse. Abuse needs to be dealt with and people need to understand that there are ways of communicating with people that don’t involve ripping them to pieces and belittling them.

• Like 1

“I came on here to start a MH thread myself and agree that (hopefully) it will not degenerate into the usual slagging matches.”

Then in the very next post rant on another crusade slagging everyone off. I was starting to have a bit of sympathy for you as well. 

you do abuse. you’ve repeatedly called me a narcissist, last week you had a dig at my relationship with my wife as I was on here whilst on holiday before we even go into the ongoing accusations of racism against not just me but many others that don’t agree with your self righteous views. Far right,  Donald Trump and Tommy Robinson fan club aren’t we. Certainly I’ve never said anything to you that is worse than any of that. Pathetically pretending to have people on ignore whilst responding and reply to their posts. Yet you carry on playing the innocent victim. 

I get torrents of abuse On here, repeatedly called wanker, dickhead, people have made some nasty jibes against me but I don’t moan about because I can be inflammatory and get Under peoples skin but I also talk to some people how they talk to me. Call me a wanker over and over again for years like Sue Whistles does then why am I going to be pleasant in return? If you don’t like getting a hard time then maybe you should look in the mirror first. Apologies to everyone else who had started to make some interesting points On a difficult subject.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Good call Lighthouse. I came on here to start a MH thread myself and agree that (hopefully) it will not degenerate into the usual slagging matches.

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You’re all heart aren’t you GM, and as usual, show that you are absolutely clueless.

If you had an ounce of empathy, understanding or sympathy you would know that.

Classic SOG

50 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

In all fairness, calling GM clueless after posting "fucking pull yourself together" on what is supposed to be a serious discussion about mental health is not exactly slagging, it's just a straight truth. That's a truly staggering degree of ignorance on display right there.

It was a serious discussion until soggy started slagging people off again

21 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

No Whelk, I don’t have a thick skin which is why I spent a great deal of time in therapy. But ask yourself this, do I come on here regularly and abuse people? Do the people who abuse me abuse others on a regular basis too? If I was being abused by regular moderate posters I would have a problem with that. Social media presents a huge problem with people’s mental health. Anonymity means that it is very easy for people to abuse others with no accountability so it is no wonder that this is a massive problem. I think we see here that the same exchanges probably wouldn’t happen if you were speaking to people in a pub. Many threads end up with abuse flying around and usually from the same people. It is not just football forums where this happens. I have seen the same things happen on different forums and you can guarantee that there will always be a small number of posters who will be looking to cause friction. Let’s call it for what it is, bullying. You say that I bring some of it on myself. I am not sure that anyone deserves to be bullied.
My wife went through a period of serious MH problems not so long ago. She worked for a couple of people we knew from our local and had no problems for 3 years but then she started to get bullied by her boss to the extent that she ended up being signed off and on meds. She is still on meds but fortunately has found employment with people who appreciate her and her work and her self esteem is gradually growing again. 
It should not be the case that people you disagree with you abuse. Abuse needs to be dealt with and people need to understand that there are ways of communicating with people that don’t involve ripping them to pieces and belittling them.

I can only talk about myself but I have to say my mental health was pretty negatively affected when I was called a rape apologist and a far right extremist and a racist. All three of those things I considered to be incredibly abusive and it was quite upsetting. Something to think about. 

19 hours ago, whelk said:

There is definitely some abuse that could be seen as bullying but I am in a glass house there and happy to hurl the insults. Although this is completely voluntary to post I would say fair game if you post on here.

By bringing it on yourself I meant by polarising argument and pigeon holing others as Tommy Robinson sympathisers. But have said before don’t understand why so many hone in on you.

As regards mental health I am naturally stoic and don’t know if parenting played a part but feel resilient with more a ‘fuck them’ attitude than ‘woe is me’ (not a helpful term I know)? Have many friends who have suffered and a couple that took their own lives, but also believe too much naval gazing isn’t good for you and get on and do some sport, volunteer  etc helps. Although undoubtedly chemical balance plays a part. I was bit messed up once although drugs played a part when paranoia really takes over and cannot trust your brain it can get scary.

Also believe too much time on your hands to compare lives doesn’t help. Instagram is fucking up teens massively with their highlight reel lives making so many feel inadequate.

Hurling the occasional insult and systematic bullying/abuse are two very different things Whelk.

if I pigeonhole people as Tommy Robinson sympathisers that is because, when I criticise his beliefs, they attack me. It is not a massive assumption that they do so because they share his views, although it is entirely possible that they are just looking for an opportunity to have a go I guess (which is more of an issue).

I agree that social media has amplified problems we face in society. Instead of bullying/abusing in the playground, pub, workplace, home etc people can now bully/abuse complete strangers anywhere with an internet connection. Kids aren’t just competing with their peer groups, they are now competing with and being judged by people all over the world. Much more needs to be done to control the behaviour of people who are just intent of dishing out crap to others on a regular basis from the anonymity behind their keyboards.

I agree that if you stick your head up over the parapet you are likely to get shot at, but arguing, disagreement and criticism are one thing, systematic bullying and constant tracking and abuse another.

Sad to see the old “pull yourself together” and “they had it worse in the war” nonsense from the mid last century trotted out again. Fortunately most people have evolved and understand that, if it were just that simple, it would be much easier to deal with. I do agree with GM on one point though, other people can’t fix you, you can only fix yourself. What other people can do though is to supply the support and tools required to help you sort yourself out. Meds can help stabilised the condition but will not fix it. It takes time and effort from the person with MH issues and it also takes sympathy, understanding and patience of those who are involved with MH issues. Having been on both sides I understand how hard it is to do both and I’m sure I am not alone here in this.

We used to shoot people for cowardice. We now understand that these people were suffering from PTS disorder and instead of being put up against a wall, needed psychiatric help. Given all of our technological advances, humans are still very basic animals and the flight/fight mechanisms have not evolved since we stood on two feet. A chemical response that would kick in on the odd occasion we were faced with a sabre tooth tiger now kicks in tens if not hundreds of times a day, flooding our system with chemicals that stimulate or flight/fight responses and leave our nervous systems overloaded. Our internal systems are just not built for modern life and the constant stresses manifest themselves both in mental illness and physical illness. However, it is easier to feel sympathy for someone with a plaster cast on or a bald head through chemo than it is for someone going through MH issues where the outward signs are probably virtually non existent. How many times do you hear grieving parents say that they didn’t know that their child was unhappy enough to take their own life?

Sadly what seems to be happening now is a backlash in some quarters about MH issues. You saw it happen in the Olympics and in tennis where competitors have pulled out because of their MH and a faction (let’s call them the Piers Morgan brigade as he is a big offender) pile in a give them flak. We have made a start but clearly have a long way to go.

Sorry Whelk, what was supposed to be a quick reply ended up a pile of waffle! As you say, too much time on my hands!

17 hours ago, egg said:

This is disappointing SOG. You wanted a serious discussion on what is a sensitive issue. Lighthouse set the right scene with a very warmly worded post.

It was going well, so your starting with the criticism was unhelpful and unnecessary. That's the kind of behaviour that makes me agree with Whelk when he says that some of your criticism is self inflicted. 

Disappointing. 

You are perfectly entitled to your view Egg, but my view is that MH issues do not happen in a vacuum ( as I am sure you appreciate) and if you are going to deal with the issue you need to look at causes of anxiety, depression and stress. Social media has been cited as the reason for many suicides. For every suicide there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of people who are struggling to get through the day. I don’t see how we can talk about MH issues without accepting that this platform (and others like it) contribute to the problems.

52 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

You are perfectly entitled to your view Egg, but my view is that MH issues do not happen in a vacuum ( as I am sure you appreciate) and if you are going to deal with the issue you need to look at causes of anxiety, depression and stress. Social media has been cited as the reason for many suicides. For every suicide there are probably hundreds, maybe thousands of people who are struggling to get through the day. I don’t see how we can talk about MH issues without accepting that this platform (and others like it) contribute to the problems.

I've told you how much of a negative mental health impact you calling me a rape apologist has had and you've just ignored me. Continuing to not address my comment is having an ongoing negative health impact. I'd like this issue addressed if you are serious at wanting to address this issue. 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I've told you how much of a negative mental health impact you calling me a rape apologist has had and you've just ignored me. Continuing to not address my comment is having an ongoing negative health impact. I'd like this issue addressed if you are serious at wanting to address this issue. 

Yep, just like how he has repeatedly called me racist, narcisist, no self awareness, made personal digs about family relationships then grizzleguts when he gets it back and plays the victim.

He asked in his earlier post  do I come on here regularly and abuse people? the answer to that is a very clear yes.