Selling Players (split)

Dark Munster

5 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Stones had a longer contract and there was the 'English premium' which you have to add on to a deal like that.

My point is exactly as I posted it. If he hadn't been sold in 2016 he could have gone somewhere the following summer for about £15m.

Disagree. Fees were going up exponentially, and unless he had a serious injury I reckon we'd have got a lot more 12 months later, especially if he'd had another season with us of the quality he had from the beginning with Liverpool. Also, they (Liverpool) probably wouldn't be the only big boys interested. Of course we'll never know for sure.

10 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Disagree. Fees were going up exponentially, and unless he had a serious injury I reckon we'd have got a lot more 12 months later, especially if he'd had another season with us of the quality he had from the beginning with Liverpool. Also, they (Liverpool) probably wouldn't be the only big boys interested. Of course we'll never know for sure.

These things are pretty much a done deal with the player before any negotiations between clubs. If there was ever player that was going to be involved in an auction in was VvD, yet there didn’t appear to be one. Despite Liverpool saying they weren’t pursuing him any more, there still was t a rush to buy this great player that would have walked into any side. Why was this, because City, etc didn’t rate him, or because they knew he wanted to go to Liverpool and knew he would only go to Liverpool . I know which one I think it is. 

18 hours ago, saintwbu said:

You don’t think that when one player goes for a ridiculously inflated fee, it sets the tone for what other clubs demand for their players down the line? You don’t think John Stones going for £50mil meant any price for VVD was always going to be well in excess of £50mil because he was quite obviously head and shoulders above him in the same position?

Not really no. There's loads of factors in play and this is one of the smaller ones.

10 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

Or, more likely, he will agree a deal with his preferred club and somebody will put the idea in his head that if he refuses to sign for anyone else, that puts us in a much weaker negotiating position, which will then be reflected in the lower transfer fee. That lower transfer fee can then be offset by a nice juicy signing on fee and wages. 

17 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Stones had a longer contract and there was the 'English premium' which you have to add on to a deal like that.

My point is exactly as I posted it. If he hadn't been sold in 2016 he could have gone somewhere the following summer for about £15m.

Except he wouldn't have.

In no universe whatsoever would Liverpool have taken that risk considering Manchester United and Arsenal both wanted him.

You can come back to me all you want but nothing will convince me we did the right thing.

They would have paid whatever we asked.

We should at the very least held out to the end of the window and made them sweat.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Except he wouldn't have.

In no universe whatsoever would Liverpool have taken that risk considering Manchester United and Arsenal both wanted him.

You can come back to me all you want but nothing will convince me we did the right thing.

They would have paid whatever we asked.

We should at the very least held out to the end of the window and made them sweat.

There is a universe where Liverpool paid their record fee at the time for Mane, which the universe we are in right now.

As others have said there is rarely a "bidding war" these days, especially when a player has settled on a club.

I have no memory press reports of lots of clubs in for him, i think mainly because, as Mane has said himself, he chose Liverpool and wanted to go there.

Honestly, 2016 for gawds sake. Lets say we got another five million for Mane ten transfer windows ago.

What exactly would have happened differently than we are experiencing now?

I tell you one thing, we probably wouldn't have got all the add ons from Man U and Arsenal l because they ain't won shit. So incredibly likely the "£40m" or whatever newspaper headline fee you desperately wanted to see from them probably wouldn't have matched what Liverpool have had to actually pay us in this universe.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 6

I wonder if Roma fans are pissed off and debate within themselves that they got mugged off because they only received "£39m" for Salah.

We got a record fee at the time and they paid a record fee at the time too. I think £44m/45m would have been fairer too but certainly not losing sleep over it, plus I'd like to think with all the success Pool have had since we received the full £38m fee anyway.

As always, hindsight is a wonderful thing

If Mane was so in demand then why didn't the other clubs interested just outbid Liverpool? Either he had his heart set on Liverpool and hence we couldn't sell to anyone else as he wouldn't go, or we got the max value anyone would pay for him. To suggest we made some sort of error is silly, we couldn't hold as his value was about to drop, what else were we supposed to do?

Acting like we snapped up Liverpools offer when there were better available seems silly.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TWar said:

If Mane was so in demand then why didn't the other clubs interested just outbid Liverpool? Either he had his heart set on Liverpool and hence we couldn't sell to anyone else as he wouldn't go, or we got the max value anyone would pay for him. To suggest we made some sort of error is silly, we couldn't hold as his value was about to drop, what else were we supposed to do?

Acting like we snapped up Liverpools offer when there were better available seems silly.

Klopp had been after Mane for some time, way before he joined Saints.

6 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Have I just woken up in a parallel universe? Is Mane about to replace Ralph? Or it at least is Ralph to blame for selling Mane too cheap?

Page 99 and 100 on a thread named after our manager and I can’t find him anywhere?

Could be just my OCD kicking in I guess but how did we get here?

I think it's that if we had sold Mane for £41m to Man United rather than the £36m to Liverpool then we would have won the Uefa Cup by now. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I guess that it wouldn’t be too bold to assume Liverpool/Klopp persuaded Mane, like they did Van Dijk. They just weren’t caught and I doubt Van Dijk was the first time they brought out operation Blackpool. 

I’m not one of those with a problem with the fee received, though. In hindsight, we could have more, but at the time £36m was a good deal. We just didn’t use it very well.

• Like 1