Social Media, Anger and Us

sadoldgit

There was an excellent documentary on BBC2 by David Baddiel about trolling on the internet last night. It looked into why there is so much anger and trolling on the net. Although he spoke to people on the receiving end, as he has been, the only downside was that he didn’t interview some trolls and ask them why they do it. There was an interesting section on how it is being used to destabilised societies though and suggested that we are in the midst of a cyber “war”. He also mention Tattle Life. For those who are not aware of it it is a social media platform mainly used by women that makes this place look like a Sunday school. They could chew up and spit out our very own WUMs and trolls without batting an eyelid. I spent some time reading it daily a few months ago and if you think all women are loving, caring, empathic human beings this will make you think again. Targets include Megan Markle (not surprising), influencers, WAGs, anyone famous plus anyone who sticks their head above the parapet. When a group of them decide they don’t like someone, it is brutal.

Moving to another platform, a builder who had became famous via TikTok had his house firebombed, assumed to be by trolls, after receiving many threats and abusive posts.

Brain scans showed how using social media affects our fight or flight reflexes. Baddiel came off social media for 3 weeks and his mental health improved, unsurprisingly. He did admit to being addicted to it though, as many of us clearly are.

If you haven’t seen it I can thoroughly recommend it. It puts some of the posters on here into context 😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

If you haven’t seen it I can thoroughly recommend it. It puts some of the posters on here into context 😉

Agreed, i've always found it a bit odd that people would use a football forum as a means to appear virtuous, pious and superior to others. I'd love to see a documentary where these type of people were interviewed, it'd be a fascinating insight into the mind of these strange individuals. I'd also like to understand what makes someone so weak minded that they have to block people on social media so they cant read what they post, Im sure a lot of them just say they do for the additional attention it gives them.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Mystic Force said:

I have always wondered what is in it for the trolls and why they do it, you would have to find a recovered troll as like those addicted to drugs or in cult, they probably don't think they have a problem. Isn't that right [NAME REDACTED]?

Edit- fecking mods censoring names!

There seem to be a number of reasons. Some are expressing their anger because they are envious of the other person. Sometimes it is an Alpha male thing. Some like to make themselves seem more important by belittling others. Some were bullied as kids and are getting their own back by becoming bullies (and it is the easiest thing in the world to bully on the internet as the object of your bullying can’t get their hands on you). The problem with the way that our unregulated social media works though is that it plays right into the trolls hands. As they said in the programme, in years to come people will find it hard to believe that social media launched and operated for so long without regulation. 

13 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

I read something that said most trolls have massive cocks.

Trolls' brains turn into super-computers when exposed to freezing temperatures.

( © Terry Pratchett ).

( This thread has the potential for many ironic postings ).

Bloody hell SOG who thinks all women are caring and empathetic? I did watch it with half an eye and some good points made about feeling threatened fight or flight etc.  Even discussing Ralph and his merits can get the old aggression going

Edited by whelk

7 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

There was an excellent documentary on BBC2 by David Baddiel about trolling on the internet last night. It looked into why there is so much anger and trolling on the net. Although he spoke to people on the receiving end, as he has been, the only downside was that he didn’t interview some trolls and ask them why they do it. There was an interesting section on how it is being used to destabilised societies though and suggested that we are in the midst of a cyber “war”. He also mention Tattle Life. For those who are not aware of it it is a social media platform mainly used by women that makes this place look like a Sunday school. They could chew up and spit out our very own WUMs and trolls without batting an eyelid. I spent some time reading it daily a few months ago and if you think all women are loving, caring, empathic human beings this will make you think again. Targets include Megan Markle (not surprising), influencers, WAGs, anyone famous plus anyone who sticks their head above the parapet. When a group of them decide they don’t like someone, it is brutal.

Moving to another platform, a builder who had became famous via TikTok had his house firebombed, assumed to be by trolls, after receiving many threats and abusive posts.

Brain scans showed how using social media affects our fight or flight reflexes. Baddiel came off social media for 3 weeks and his mental health improved, unsurprisingly. He did admit to being addicted to it though, as many of us clearly are.

Fuck off you massive cunt!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

There seem to be a number of reasons. Some are expressing their anger because they are envious of the other person. Sometimes it is an Alpha male thing. Some like to make themselves seem more important by belittling others. Some were bullied as kids and are getting their own back by becoming bullies (and it is the easiest thing in the world to bully on the internet as the object of your bullying can’t get their hands on you). 

What was your reason? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mystic Force said:

Ways to identify if you are the troll

No. 1  - Is your comment about another person in the thread or are you discussing the subject?

2/ You start a thread on a subject which is potentially quite interesting and summarise the post with a pointed dig at posters on the forum you are posting it on.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What was your reason? 

Just as you feel the need to speak out against “pinkos” and liberals, so I feel the need to speak out against those firmly stuck in the days of the British Empire up to the 1970’s. The likes of Laurence Fox, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson and their many enablers do not deserve a free ride.

8 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Just as you feel the need to speak out against “pinkos” and liberals, so I feel the need to speak out against those firmly stuck in the days of the British Empire up to the 1970’s. The likes of Laurence Fox, Katie Hopkins and Tommy Robinson and their many enablers do not deserve a free ride.

Hey SOG Saintsweb is a broadchurch. Part of the appeal that not an echo chamber of  the same opinions. Top marks for getting Tommy Robinson in as well

• Like 1

18 hours ago, whelk said:

Hey SOG Saintsweb is a broadchurch. Part of the appeal that not an echo chamber of  the same opinions. Top marks for getting Tommy Robinson in as well

Absolutely! He has fallen off the radar a bit of late and I would hate for him to drop out of the picture. 😉