Reasons to be Cheerful?

whelk

Seems like the news is getting bleaker every day

cost of living crisis, war in Ukraine, China posturing over Taiwan, drought, vacuous politicians (tbf not new but seems like no genuine politicians of integrity). Oh and travel chaos and Brexit fallout.

Is there any public service that is running better than it was 10 years ago? From prisons and probation to education and health to crime- all seems pretty poor with low morale amongst staff.

And this is all before we get some winter Covid variant. Let’s hope Saints can lift spirits although that might even add to the gloom

Edited by whelk
Title was meant to be “Reasons to be cheerful?” Lighthouse? Further edit as forgot travel and Brexit
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Reasons to be Cheerful?

When you consider where we were over the last couple of years, I think life is generally a bit better for most people. As for the winter variant, who knows but Covid seems to have become endemic to the point that it’ll just be like any other winter flu. Everyone who wants a vaccine has he one and the at risk will get their boosters. For everyone else it’ll be unpleasant but not life threatening.

Just now, Turkish said:

Cant beat a decent round of golf. Although it seems to range between the best and worst game in the world. 

Absolutely- my last round I pretty much hit 90% of tee shots spot on. Feel I may have conquered it which will very much bite me next time

Just now, whelk said:

Absolutely- my last round I pretty much hit 90% of tee shots spot on. Feel I may have conquered it which will very much bite me next time

Been playing well for the last two months. Played Roxburghe a few weeks ago after we went to the Scottish Open on the saturday, absolutely fabulous one of the best courses i've played, played brilliantly, went back to my home club where i'm a member last sunday, was like i'd never played before.

One of the best Golf Hotels in Scotland | SCHLOSS Roxburghe (schlosshotel-roxburghe.com)

Got a competiton next friday so hitting bad form just ahead of it as per usual. 

3 hours ago, whelk said:

Another example of a service that had no previous issues being well managed. These guys sure know how to govern.

no doubt lazy civil servants at home - nothing o do with 12 years of running things

Did you read the article you posted?

The one that says :

beacause of a backlog caused by the coronavirus pandemic

I'm assuming the backlog was caused when the entire country was 'locked down' for several months so tests couldn't go ahead, rather than 'lazy civil servants at home'.

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Did you read the article you posted?

The one that says :

I'm assuming the backlog was caused when the entire country was 'locked down' for several months so tests couldn't go ahead, rather than 'lazy civil servants at home'.

So Covid caused backlog in driving tests only but not lessons? Why is it not neutralised?

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

im off on holiday for two weeks next saturday and when i come back starting a new job. That's reason to be cheerful 

Always best to backload your holidays so you got longer to look forward to. Anywhere nice?  

10 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You'd probably need to ask DVLA for clarification but my guess is there are more driving instructors than driving examiners....

Hmm, 45 hours of lessons against 40 minutes for a test. That’s a ratio of over 60:1 so you might expect there to be 60 times the number of instructors to examiners.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, whelk said:

Anything? Anyone?

Turkish’s holiday now a distant memory and things got a lot worse since thread started.  We now know Saints are shite

It was a cracking holiday, new job is going well on the train to London for a series of meetings today, smashed 3 PBs in the last week at the gym, Power clean, front squat and snatch. Sons team have started the season in style, played 2 won 2, F21 A0.  had a quote to get the garden landscaped with was the low end of what I expected it to be. Fixed rate mortgage for 5 years with 4.5 years still to go 
#gains #footballfamily #lovingliferightnow #postiveattitude #lowtrajectorytoahighresult #smallwins #dailywins #compoundeffect #financiallysavy

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

It was a cracking holiday, new job is going well on the train to London for a series of meetings today, smashed 3 PBs in the last week at the gym, Power clean, front squat and snatch. Sons team have started the season in style, played 2 won 2, F21 A0.  had a quote to get the garden landscaped with was the low end of what I expected it to be 
#gains #footballfamily #lovingliferightnow #postiveattitude #lowtrajectorytoahighresult #smallwins #dailywins #compoundeffect 

Thread more about macro events. My life is pretty good all things considered. 
At risk of sounding smug , I’m quite insulated from cost of living rises but worries me how many others lives are in turmoil right now and so many fraught with worry.

Could now add blackouts to the list

27 minutes ago, whelk said:

Thread more about macro events. My life is pretty good all things considered. 
At risk of sounding smug , I’m quite insulated from cost of living rises but worries me how many others lives are in turmoil right now and so many fraught with worry.

Mine too. However none of us have perfect lives. Concentrate on what is in your control and fix that rather than spending all day whinging about things you can’t. No point complaining about the holes in the neighbours roof if there are big holes in your own. 

Edited by Turkish

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Living where we do, we always get at least a couple of significant power cuts each winter. This means we are well stocked up with candles and lanterns, and if we have to we can cook on the log burning stove, or the pizza oven and barbecue bowl in the garden.

10 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Living where we do, we always get at least a couple of significant power cuts each winter. This means we are well stocked up with candles and lanterns, and if we have to we can cook on the log burning stove, or the pizza oven and barbecue bowl in the garden.

Plenty of blankets too?

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Mine too. However none of us have perfect lives. Concentrate on what is in your control and fix that rather than spending all day whinging about things you can’t. No point complaining about the holes in the neighbours roof if there are big holes in your own. 

Is that a Jake Humphrey mantra? 

I think some people can switch of and just focus on their own situation.  I can’t and whilst yes not doing anything to sort it so shouting in wind really. Although discussing in real life a couple of mates have asked me why I don’t become a politician

Also information being received at stupidly high level compared to past as well. WFH today so will put PMQs on at 12. Sure that won’t help the blood pressure.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Is that a Jake Humphrey mantra? 

I think some people can switch of and just focus on their own situation.  I can’t and whilst yes not doing anything to sort it so shouting in wind really. Although discussing in real life a couple of mates have asked me why I don’t become a politician

Also information being received at stupidly high level compared to past as well. WFH today so will put PMQs on at 12. Sure that won’t help the blood pressure.

You’re a big enough bellend 😉