Saints 0-2 Fulham - Saints Relegated

Dman

4 hours ago, MatthewStiles said:

That’s the point though. We supposedly played to his strengths by firing in loads of crosses but it was ineffective because we don’t seem to have great crossing ability in the team. Therefore, the argument that we should build the team around PO is flawed. 

Don’t think anyone wants to build the team around him - more a case of at least trying to play in a way that can utilise him when he gets minutes. Will be interesting to see whether they persist with him or cut their losses…

8 hours ago, MatthewStiles said:

Totally agree. We saw loads of hopeful crosses into the box v Brentford but hardly any resulted in goal attempts. Onuachu is so limited technically it hurts. 36% pass success rate yesterday. To build a team around him would be nuts 

Agree , technically I can't think of a more limited player we've had. 

Maybe we've been spoilt since coming up having players like Lambert and Pelle who could play that role and offer a lot more. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Yep ditto, I think a lot of this feeling is because of the fact it's been a slow inevitable death - we've kind of all known for months, it's not crept up on us like a last min shock so i think a lot of us have been able to prepare our minds. 

The last time we were relegated we put up more of an effort and took it to the last game, so a lot of us still had a hope we'd make it. This season I think we all knew we'd never, ever take this to the final few games.

Have to agree with you, Vancouver Saint and Channonwindmill, 18 years ago there was more effort put in, this time it was abysmal.  The slow death of Saints since the Liebherrs started to sell the club off in 2017.  It’s been a long, hard death after so much hope from Markus Liebherr.  Our club would have been in a far different position had he been alive.  Just look at the players yesterday.  Who ever bought that shambolic team should be sacked.  Fulham we’re just not very good either infact, they reminded me of Middlesbrough 18 years ago or as the saying went “boring Borough”.  Now to watch if the Liebherrs sell the rest of their stake in the club?

The football league are also to blame.  Sports Republic should never have been allowed to purchase Southampton.  Some fat cat sat at the top agreed to it but it was a dodgy deal in the beginning.  The rest of the league is dodgy too, fraud, hidden debts etc not investigated, money laundering so the whole lot is rotten.  

I say this tongue in cheek “Rishi, are you gonna buy the club”.  At least he was there to see us relegated not like the rest of our shambolic owners.

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Pretty scathing view from Le Tiss

"I’ve never witnessed such a gutless, lazy and passionless performance from a relegation-threatened team in all my life, that squad should hang their heads in shame.”

Ha, I can't believe he fell for all that mainstream media nonsense about us being relegated. Everyone who's awake and willing to do their own research knows we finished 9th this season, the video he watched was a bunch of paid actors in Saints shirt. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

At least Le Tis is prepared to be brutally honest, can't see that selles said this to them in the dressing room after the game, he was probably patting all his mates on the back!

“They've gone down with a whimper. They haven't gone down with a fight. That was the saddest part about it. I’ve never witnessed such a gutless, lazy and passionless performance from a relegation-threatened team in all my life.”

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Portugalsaint said:

Fulham we’re just not very good either infact, they reminded me of Middlesbrough 18 years ago or as the saying went “boring Borough”.  

They didn't need to be very good. After about 20 minutes, sat in the stadium, you could see that Fulham realised that there was not much to fear and relaxed into a rather pleasant afternoon in the sun by the sea......................our lot didn't have enough about them to see the opposition were coasting through the motions.

• Like 2

Still really annoyed about the way we were set up to play on Saturday. Sit in and then hit them on the counter, at home! We were second best for a lot of the 1st half. Second half we were way too open and it cost us massively. Just feeling so disappointed now :(

Edited by davefizzy14

3 hours ago, DT said:

🚨 Senior figures at Southampton now accept that it would have been better to sack Ralph Hasenhuttl at the end of last season #saintsfc

If only they had read the frigging forum...

Reading the Echo today long time Saints fans Jenny and Elaine blame .....'all those awful supporters who got him out. The players gave their all so what else can they do'.......   

Oh dear Jenny and Elaine, not sure where you purchased your red and white rose tinted glasses but I wish I had a pair, maybe then I wouldn't feel so bad after witnessing possibly the worst season of my 60 years of attending. !!!!!!! 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rallyboy said:

Any player who kept us up over the years is probably entitled to ask what the fuck that gutless, sideways, lazy, chaotic season was all about.

Miss the days of having this man up front, we desperately need another Lambert 

FB_IMG_1684156081243.thumb.jpg.ead51700c7a51bdb9ddec72354352d03.jpg

• Like 8

52 minutes ago, 64saint said:

Reading the Echo today long time Saints fans Jenny and Elaine blame .....'all those awful supporters who got him out. The players gave their all so what else can they do'.......   

Oh dear Jenny and Elaine, not sure where you purchased your red and white rose tinted glasses but I wish I had a pair, maybe then I wouldn't feel so bad after witnessing possibly the worst season of my 60 years of attending. !!!!!!! 

Ah so it was Jenny and Elaine who started the happy clapping of the players after the final whistle to cheer them up, because of those nasty people in the Northam Kingsland corner boo'ed them rather loudly.

• Like 2

I think blaming the players not trying for relegation is like blaming the crew of the Titanic, they may have made mistakes but they didn't make the ship sinkable, and blaming the supporters is like blaming the passengers. I saw players on Saturday that were trying and I saw others that had no confidence and were lost. Whether they were trying or not only they know. If fans want to  applaud the club for the not insignificant achievement of 11 consecutive years in the Premier league, it's up to them. We could and should have had a few more but statistically at least our time was up. Finding someone who has the formula to keep Southampton in a 20 team Premier league for ever would be as that old sage and pantomime villain 'Arry would say  - difficult. SR thought they had a formula but didn't. Perhaps Rasmus could raise a few funds for the club by going on  Britain's got Talent  with his remarkable trick of turning Brentford in to Southampton, and Southampton in to Brentford. I'm sure Simon would be impressed. As for the fans I always find that when my wife's angry with me a spell of eerie silence is even more effective in letting me know how she feels than shouting a lot of abuse, just a thought.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

I think blaming the players not trying for relegation is like blaming the crew of the Titanic, they may have made mistakes but they didn't make the ship sinkable, and blaming the supporters is like blaming the passengers. I saw players on Saturday that were trying and I saw others that had no confidence and were lost. Whether they were trying or not only they know. If fans want to  applaud the club for the not insignificant achievement of 11 consecutive years in the Premier league, it's up to them. We could and should have had a few more but statistically at least our time was up. Finding someone who has the formula to keep Southampton in a 20 team Premier league for ever would be as that old sage and pantomime villain 'Arry would say  - difficult. SR thought they had a formula but didn't. Perhaps Rasmus could raise a few funds for the club by going on  Britain's got Talent  with his remarkable trick of turning Brentford in to Southampton, and Southampton in to Brentford. I'm sure Simon would be impressed. As for the fans I always find that when my wife's angry with me a spell of eerie silence is even more effective in letting me know how she feels than shouting a lot of abuse, just a thought.    

Sadly that has now become a 10 team Premier League as the other 10 have wealth way beyond the reach of those below !

If you want to be in the top half you either need 'blood money' or a bunch of Yanks clubbing together !!

The likes of us, Burnley, Sheff U, Palace etc.. have no chance in the long term and yes I am aware that Brentford, Fulham, Brighton etc.. have had a good season but f'sure that ain't gonna last for too long....

😬

1 hour ago, Tom & Gerry said:

We know it's you Martin Semmens 

8 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Still really annoyed about the way we were set up to play on Saturday. Sit in and then hit them on the counter, at home! We were second best for a lot of the 1st half. Second half we were way too open and it cost us massively. Just feeling so disappointed now :(

Yes, disgraceful. We were almost certainly down so I and others were hoping that they’d come out and try to give it a go. Just attempt to entertain us and ping the ball around with authority.

Instead we got same old, same old.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Sadly that has now become a 10 team Premier League as the other 10 have wealth way beyond the reach of those below !

If you want to be in the top half you either need 'blood money' or a bunch of Yanks clubbing together !!

The likes of us, Burnley, Sheff U, Palace etc.. have no chance in the long term and yes I am aware that Brentford, Fulham, Brighton etc.. have had a good season but f'sure that ain't gonna last for too long....

😬

There you go, almost makes you glad we are down. I wouldn't be surprised if they went to 18 teams soon either.

4 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I wasn’t there but I’m guessing boos were limited at the final whistle due to everyone having left beforehand.

No one left to boo how apt 😂

forgetting the fact that as a team we just arnt good enough nothing excuses the total lack of passion and effort for just 90 minutes of there s+itty overpaid lives,in my oppinion should be giving it to them in the neck when they arrive at the ground and when they leave,they get far to easy a ride and have little understanding or more likely dont give a t+ss what our club means to us

I didn't leave my thoughts immediately, but having had a few days to stew on Saturday's "efforts", I don't feel any better now than I did at the final whistle.

That display epitomised our season. Complete and utter lack of any fight and finishing the match with five of our consistently worst players on the field.

We're in deep trouble. Can't feasibly see how we can patch this together to make any sort of fight for next season. Genuinely fear for how bad things might get.

3 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

I didn't leave my thoughts immediately, but having had a few days to stew on Saturday's "efforts", I don't feel any better now than I did at the final whistle.

That display epitomised our season. Complete and utter lack of any fight and finishing the match with five of our consistently worst players on the field.

We're in deep trouble. Can't feasibly see how we can patch this together to make any sort of fight for next season. Genuinely fear for how bad things might get.

For the first time I sat there wondering why I bothered going to our matches. Normally there is something to hold my attention, but no.