The Ashes 2023

trousers

5 hours ago, whelk said:

Should strike Old Trafford off the list of grounds to play. Predictable shitty northern weather going to allow the Aussies to keep the Ashes. Keep Headingley though!

and they are. Southampton will get 1 of the next home Ashes Tests I think.  Well, until the northerners start moaning again.

13 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

and they are. Southampton will get 1 of the next home Ashes Tests I think.  Well, until the northerners start moaning again.

FWIW, I think they should keep OT/Leeds. Been to the rose bowl a few times for England games / tests and its lifeless, much like most southern grounds to be fair. The Barmy Army don't seem to travel down here. 

5 hours ago, Dman said:

FWIW, I think they should keep OT/Leeds.

I know there are too many ground vying for the tests, but London always gets 2, one because "it's Lords, innit", and one because the ECB conceded a very advantageous deal for The Oval. Maybe there should be an agreement that OT and Headingly alternate, also Edgbaston and Trent Bridge, and every so often the Oval is dropped in favour of the Ageas. Saying that Trent Bridge is a 'northern' venue is ludicrous, Nottingham is nearer to Southampton than it is to Newcastle.

• Like 1

What is important is not the general weather but the weather on Test days.

Someone has counted up the number of days washed out in Tests up to 2004.

https://community.netweather.tv/topic/16950-number-of-days-washed-out-for-test-matches-in-engl/

Old Trafford: 29 days washed out.

Headingley: 12 days washed out.

Pretty conclusive though someone might like to do further research to see if the same trend continued after 2004.

15 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Why is a bowler who delivers the ball at over 90mph pitching it short to the tailies ? Have they forgotten what the stumps are there for ?

Stupid - yet again we give away unnecessary runs to the Aussie tail. We restrict their man batsmen with good tight bowling but waste that effort. We should have ended the day with a lead.

Incredible series, one of the very best. 2-2 probably the right result on balance, but I'd say England have been the stronger team, Aus maybe slightly wiser. 

All set up for 2 years time - the Aus team will look very different. Hopefully Wood & Archers body will hold up and we find a spinner. I think we could be bringing the Urn home with us! 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

the ending Stuart Broad deserved, been a great player. 

Can't help but think he has another 2-3 years in him, but if he wants to go out at the top - he's made the right call!