The Ashes 2023

trousers

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Hate to say it but we’ve looked a lot better without Anderson this morning. I don’t see how he gets back in if Broad, Wood, Woakes and Tongue are all fit.

If Anderson is fit I cannot see him not playing at Old Trafford. Last hurrah in front of his own fans and his own stand.

Without most of the England top order throwing wickets away, combined with daft field settings and short bowling gifting the Aussies plenty of extra runs, this could easily be 3-0 England

if they can just tighten up and leave the short and wide balls better they can still take the series 

(and dropped catches behind, Fowkes for Bairstow would be good)

Edited by Mixedkebab
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, whelk said:

Close

imo, England have been the better side for the large majority of this series.

We've just been rubbish at the big moments and, lets be honest, reckless batting and disgraceful fielding has meant we've never really been able to pull ahead from them. Aus haven't really played all that well, have been without (arguably) their most dangerous bowler and haven't had to work all that hard for their wins. 

It easily could and maybe even should be 3-0 England.

I'm all for being aggressive, playing on the front foot, but sometimes you need to sense when there is danger and when to ride out the storm (Duckett swinging at absolutely everything 30 mins before COP in bowler friendly conditions springs to mind). 

Someone needs to have a word because the batting has been out right braindead for most of this series. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2023 at 11:26, Dman said:

imo, England have been the better side for the large majority of this series.

We've just been rubbish at the big moments and, lets be honest, reckless batting and disgraceful fielding has meant we've never really been able to pull ahead from them. Aus haven't really played all that well, have been without (arguably) their most dangerous bowler and haven't had to work all that hard for their wins. 

It easily could and maybe even should be 3-0 England.

I'm all for being aggressive, playing on the front foot, but sometimes you need to sense when there is danger and when to ride out the storm (Duckett swinging at absolutely everything 30 mins before COP in bowler friendly conditions springs to mind). 

Someone needs to have a word because the batting has been out right braindead for most of this series. 

Being rubbish at the big moments is why we're not 3-0 and really don't deserve to be. Pissing wickets slogging at everything is not how you win the Ashes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

Being rubbish at the big moments is why we're not 3-0 and really don't deserve to be. Pissing wickets slogging at everything is not how you win the Ashes.

Indeed. Australia have been playing test cricket whilst England have been playing limited overs.

6 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Why do they insist on playing test matches in Manchester?

A 'must win' game for England and the match is likely to be influenced massively by the predictably rainy weather they get year round in the area!

Leeds is wetter and they played the last test there.

Test matches are played around the country to give all fans a chance. Other than the 2 matches in London, other grounds get them on rotation, this year Manchester gets a turn.

Remember, Old Trafford is where Jim Laker took match figures of 19-90 in an Ashes test.

( EDIT - and it rained at Lords in the second test ).

Edited by badgerx16

2 hours ago, badgerx16 said:

Leeds is wetter and they played the last test there.

Test matches are played around the country to give all fans a chance. Other than the 2 matches in London, other grounds get them on rotation, this year Manchester gets a turn.

Remember, Old Trafford is where Jim Laker took match figures of 19-90 in an Ashes test.

( EDIT - and it rained at Lords in the second test ).

I lived in Leeds (well Ilkley, but close enough) for a year and the weather was average.

I lived in Manchester for about 8 months (spring to autumn) and it rained every.single.day!!!  In my opinion / experience, Manchester is way wetter than Leeds 😘

13 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

I lived in Leeds (well Ilkley, but close enough) for a year and the weather was average.

I lived in Manchester for about 8 months (spring to autumn) and it rained every.single.day!!!  In my opinion / experience, Manchester is way wetter than Leeds 😘

Historical data says otherwise;

https://www.floodsax.co.uk/news/the-wettest-places-in-the-uk-revealed-and-why-the-people-who-live-there-need-floodsax-alternative-sandbags-for-flood-protection/

Edited by badgerx16

On 19/07/2023 at 07:44, CB Fry said:

We’d of probably got away with it a lot more if our fielding had been anything more than wasteful but even that being said… totally agree, its not even fun watching this gung ho cricket when Im cringing at some of the dismissals 

Should strike Old Trafford off the list of grounds to play. Predictable shitty northern weather going to allow the Aussies to keep the Ashes. Keep Headingley though!

Edited by whelk

4 hours ago, whelk said:

Should strike Old Trafford off the list of grounds to play. Predictable shitty northern weather going to allow the Aussies to keep the Ashes. Keep Headingley though!

Don't worry. Us Northerners, both sides on the Pennines, will miss out next time, nothing further North than Nottingham for the next home Ashes. ( Which according to the bloke from the ECB on the radio yesterday means that there will still be a 'northern' test. Not sure he has a grasp of geography )

And if you are complaining about "shitty northern weather", Leeds is wetter than Manchester,

Edited by badgerx16