New captain

Raging Bull

The lack of leaders in our team has been a huge issue for some time now and played a significant part in our downfall last season, IMO.

Take a look at the last side we put out in the Championship for example…it had the likes of Kelvin, Fonte, Hammond, Schneiderlin, Lallana and Lambert in it - all top pros with leadership credentials. Bar JWP and possibly Stephens, both of whom could well end up leaving, I don’t see any of those types of characters in our current squad and it’s one of the main reasons I’m apprehensive about the season ahead.

First impressions of Martin are good but we’ve had a soft underbelly for too long and without some experienced additions that are comfortable in RM’s system(s), I have concerns we’ll revert to type and will buckle under the pressure of being a bigger fish in a smaller pond! Really, really hope I’m wrong! 🙏🏻😬

A bit concerned so many believe Stephens is a viable answer, Id have him firmly at around our 4th or 5th best defender, he just isn’t very good.. His propensity to wind up the opposition of occasion isn’t a leadership trait Id personally want

I want somebody sufficiently talented, level headed but more importantly able to lift the rest of the team.. outside of JWP and even including him I just don’t think we have that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

A bit concerned so many believe Stephens is a viable answer, Id have him firmly at around our 4th or 5th best defender, he just isn’t very good.. His propensity to wind up the opposition of occasion isn’t a leadership trait Id personally want

I want somebody sufficiently talented, level headed but more importantly able to lift the rest of the team.. outside of JWP and even including him I just don’t think we have that

To be fair he was our fourth best defender in the prem. I think he’d do well in the champ.

im picking lyanco anyway just because he’s the only player that made me smile watching saints last season.

12 hours ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

If all 3 go, then Bella-Kotchap...

But at the first sign of things getting tough on the pitch the physios will be on, he'll be off, and then who gets the armband? 

He's a talented player but I've seen nothing that suggests a mentality suitable for leading the team. 

I'd nominate Perraud if he stays

Edited by Patches O Houlihan
spelling
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I disagree I think he would be an excellent defender at our level and I have always appreciated his passion.

2 hours ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

I disagree I think he would be an excellent defender at our level and I have always appreciated his passion.

Ive always found ‘passion’ is a bastion of those unqualified in their position 

He’s not a very good defender, he may well be better in the champ but he is still currently our 4th best and has let us down more often then he’s done a job

On 05/07/2023 at 19:19, Dark Munster said:

A difficult choice, although I'm not sure why you are only asking @suewhistle

I couldn't decide, so put all the names in an hat (minus JWP), and drew out Joe Aribo.

I’m not sure why you’re tagging Suzy here. She’s said shes not posting on here until the new season. Don’t you remember she mistook this place for an airport and thought she had to announce her departure 

3 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

Whoever is made captain needs to have the brain of a shrew and the guile of a possom.

I'd personally pick Lyanco, he has that certain charm and bet he smells terrific.

That's all i will say on the matter. 

Whoever you are, you're great fun. The sort of bonkers stuff that will help us all through a tedious summer!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Ribtickler said:

Whoever is made captain needs to have the brain of a shrew and the guile of a possom.

I'd personally pick Lyanco, he has that certain charm and bet he smells terrific.

That's all i will say on the matter. 

my new favorite forum member 😂

• Like 2