New captain

Raging Bull

16 minutes ago, Raging Bull said:

Ok lesbians, assuming JWP leaves, who’s gonna be the next captain? 

If he stays I would put money on Che, which I’d be quite happy with. 

Who are you going for? 

How dare you assume my sexuality 

5 minutes ago, Dellman said:

Che? He's more likely to be on the bench..Bednarek for me. Loads of experience, good organiser and in best position for a captain  

Good organiser?! All he does is stand around shouting at team mates for his mistakes. One of our worst ever players relative to the level that we've been at at the time.

• Like 5
  • Confused 3

6 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

No way. That man blames everyone and everything for his mistakes, and never takes ownership. I wanted him gone for good reason.

Sorry. There is no "We" here.

• Like 3

A new signing.

Has to be someone who will play the vast majority of minutes, so most likely a CB or CM. 

Of the existing players who have a higher liklihood of staying only Stephens and Bednarek are realistic shouts IMO.

It really highlights our lack of any significant leadership in or around the first team when we’re looking to appoint a new captain and our options are basically;

- A polish CB that got bombed out and happily slagged off the side, yet showed a bit of a resurgence

- An English CB prone to more mistakes then he is being a serious CB

Unfortunately even Prowsey wasn’t a particularly inspiring captain really, all things considered… its something Ive been asking for a while and, imho is something that’s contributed to our poor mentality over the last few years

Edited by Smirking_Saint
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

No way. That man blames everyone and everything for his mistakes, and never takes ownership. We wanted him gone for good reason.

Guessing you didn't watch him upon his return in January. 

Jan or Stephens for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

Guessing you didn't watch him upon his return in January. 

Jan or Stephens for me. 

I did and he was still a liability who moaned at everyone. 

• Like 3

Joking aside it's quite worrying that we don't have anyone in the whole squad who fits the bill.  We lacked balls, bottle and leadership all last season resulting in one of our worst ever seasons.  Where we are going we will need players who can step upto the mark, bully and organise when necessary.  The championship is unforgiving, if we don't start well, we have few leaders to sort things out. 

• Like 3

Just now, Gingeletiss said:

I did, we see every game over here, he was better, but still blamed his team mates for everything.

Fuck me, did you watch Peter Schmeichel, you know the bloke who was captain in the 1999 champions league final. If he let one through his legs, he’d still bollock the defenders for allowing the shot in the first place. I want a captain to be throwing bollockings around and falling out with people, being unreasonable & creating an edge. Whether that’s Bednarek is open to question, but he’s certainly one of the only ones ( if not the only one)capable of doing so with this bunch. 

Ideally, we need to get a couple of leaders in, one of whom takes over the role. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Fuck me, did you watch Peter Schmeichel, you know the bloke who was captain in the 1999 champions league final. If he let one through his legs, he’d still bollock the defenders for allowing the shot in the first place. I want a captain to be throwing bollockings around and falling out with people, being unreasonable & creating an edge. Whether that’s Bednarek is open to question, but he’s certainly one of the only ones ( if not the only one)capable of doing so with this bunch. 

Ideally, we need to get a couple of leaders in, one of whom takes over the role. 

You really have anger issues mate. It is an observation, one held by many, and yes, at 70 I guess I‘be seen PS, Jimmy Case, in fact, quite a few captains, I also saw KK, don’t remember him blaming others for his mistakes, not that he made many.

A thread that further underlines both Fareham's and my confidence in JWP staying at saints.

There basically isn't anyone else. Although for spirit, i'd pick Alcaraz - ignoring the reality that he's got the temperament of a firecracker that doesn't seem to have the engine to play enough minutes... plus he is even more likely to get sent off than Lyanco...

Edited by Saint86

22 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Who are you going for? 

A difficult choice, although I'm not sure why you are only asking @suewhistle

I couldn't decide, so put all the names in an hat (minus JWP), and drew out Joe Aribo.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Nolan said:

Bednarek

I was really impressed by him in that moment but unfortunately probably the one and only time he seemed to really care about the club and his teammates.

For me captain has to show some backbone, Stephens is the best we have in that respect .

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Raging Bull said:

Who are you going for? 

As greetings go that’s a pretty dramatic opening gambit.

Back to the question, I suspect it will be a new arrival, possibly Grimes if RM can bring him in.

Assuming JWP leaves, which I expect will happen. 

Edited by Badger