Southampton fans from Salisbury and Basingstoke

Paul Chuckle

On 06/07/2023 at 07:33, Turkish said:

What that little pub by the station, Molly Millars? Used to pop In there from time to time 

Only occasionally visited the Molly Millar (as was!) it was well known for Friday night punch-ups by the squaddies from Aborfield and got a bit of a reputation at one time !

No idea what it is like these days ! My local was the Three Frogs but I think that has changed dramatically over the years as well !!

48 minutes ago, eurosaint said:

Only occasionally visited the Molly Millar (as was!) it was well known for Friday night punch-ups by the squaddies from Aborfield and got a bit of a reputation at one time !

No idea what it is like these days ! My local was the Three Frogs but I think that has changed dramatically over the years as well !!

I used to have a couple of mates that worked in Wokingham and i was working in Theale so would sometimes meet there before heading into Reading, this is going back 25 years or so so changed a lot since then no doubt.

Originally from Kingsclere where my dad and grandad were Saints and we’d drive down to home games in the old Ford Pop or latterly Austin Cambridge during 1960s and 70s, my first games were aged 4, standing on a beer crate at the front, Late 70s I moved to Basingstoke and went to almost every game home and away with a group that met in South Ham, Basingstoke, sometimes 30 plus in one or two transit vans, often no windows, called ourselves “The Basingstoke Brigade”, there was also a coach from Basingstoke to every home match but we didn’t use that as it was too civilised 😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Channons orse said:

Originally from Kingsclere …. Late 70s I moved to Basingstoke and went to almost every game home and away with a group that met in South Ham, Basingstoke … 

Saints always used to have a good support from around the county, Andover, Winchester, Basingstoke etc , and South Wiltshire.

Rather than dismissing the support from outside the city , the bigger question might be why isn’t it stronger in the city itself ? 

• Like 5

I was raised in Basingstoke (Brighton Hill) and adopted Saints as I was surrounded by so many Saints supporters. It was easy for me to tag along with my mate and his dad to matches - I went to most home games around 1993-1997 so saw plenty of Le Tiss and the like before I then sodded off to university. Never went back to live in Basingstoke so have not been able to attend regularly since, sadly. Did manager to see Rickie net a few for us though. Thank fuck I didn't go to any games last season!

My mates were an even split between Liverpool and Southampton so safe to say I chose... poorly! 😆

Edited by Ralph Fastenbüttl
  • Like 1

I was born in Southampton and grew up in Hythe. I have supported Saints since childhood. My Dad was an Arsenal fan but he brought me up to support Saints as the 'local' football club.

However, I have taken a different line to my Dad and I have brought my kids up to support Saints even though I now live in the North East. The eldest is 17 and not bothered about football; the youngest is 14 and is a keen Saints fan and comes with me to a couple of matches each season.

I also have a friend who grew up here who decided years ago to support Saints even though he and his family have no connection to Southampton. 

So, make of that what you will... Was my Dad wrong to bring me up to support Saints?

Was it wrong that I supported Saints growing up out of the city in Hythe?

Is it wrong that I support Saints now I live up north?

Am I wrong to bring my kids up to support Saints?

Is my friend disqualified from supporting Saints because he is not even from the South?

Clearly, the answer in each case is 'no'.

Finally, calling yourself a scummer is weird. It is a term of abuse used by Skates to slag of people from Southampton and Saints supporters. However, in the face of a Pompey fan calling me that I might possibly own it just to put them down by saying something like "I am not sure what a scummer is, but presumably if we are scummers it's only because we kick the scum out of you Skates!"

• Like 1

Don’t really see the point of this thread but with society so much more transient than ever so it follows that supporters will come from further afield. I lived in London for 30 years (before moving back to Hampshire) and I remember back in the 80s that as a group ‘London Saints’ members would get a hard time by some Southampton based fans. 
With every home game an ‘away’ game, Saints fans travelling a distance show greater  dedication than any!

• Like 5

Despite my naff name that can't change on here I was born in the front bedroom of 8 Glebe Meadow, East Dean (61 years ago July 17), which is in Hampshire but West Dean just down the road is half in Wiltshire and half in Hampshire, both places about 12 miles from Salisbury and about 20 miles from Southampton. 

Buddens used to run the 'Two-Bob' coach through the villages to go the Dell every home game. It was called the 'Two-Bob' coach because from the days of my late-brother using it when he was about 8 until we moved to Lockerley 10 years later when asked how much it was, the old boy collecting the money always said 'Two-Bob'. 

Only problem was the coach used to park up near the away supporters coaches near the bowling green so we had to walk back that way - Chelsea in Division Two prevented that so my mate and I, the most non-hooligans you could ever met, somehow ended up running away from Chelsea fans in places in Southampton I'd never been too, we just managed to catch the coach as it was leaving. We were about 13 at the time.

Another one was stopping next to the Plymouth Argyle coaches in traffic after a Friday night 1-0 win, they went utterly mental and tried to get off their coaches to get on ours and smash the windows. Again a bus almost exclusively full of young boys and old men from the villages. How tough were they?

• Like 1

My 1st 25 years were in Salisbury and I count myself lucky which way the wind blew. 657 had a strong presence and congregated in a bar in the market square (late 80's and 90's)..for  my sins I played Saturday and Sunday local league football with many of them but they were well known in town and had a presence in between Bristol and the Solent (dealing drugs etc) . Few followed Bournemouth then but I think more kids from Salisbury do now ... many are looking for a PL team to follow instead of what is served up at the Mcherny stadium or what ever it is called now. My sense is that Saints needs to build on there support across Hampshire, Wiltshire and Dorset, the world.. to rely on SO postcodes only especially with so few home grown players I.e Southampton born and bred to relate to would be a death nail in the future of the club. For me, its on all of us to bring new fans on the train where ever they may be... I have given Saints shirts out in Africa to America to APAC.. the smiles have been amazing..  if it sticks and it yields more support so beit, any other approach only supports the top 6 

Edited by Yorkshire Saint
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, whelk said:

About time they prioritised tickets to us local boys

Work it so SO14 get first dibs on away tickets and then widen it out by postcode. 

Absolute ban for anyone living in a PO postcode. Don't care how many games you've previously been to, you made the decision to live there and fund their council through paying tax.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I live in Esher, there's tons of Saints round these parts (North Surrey)....often see Saints shirts out and about.

I come from So'ton but my kids have never lived there and are all Saints mad, travelling home and away.....very proud of that given most round here are Chelsea.

Often its just a case of taking them to a few games as young nippers and they're hooked.

• Like 2

On 05/07/2023 at 10:06, Paul Chuckle said:

The slagging off of the city by the Salisbury twitter folk I find very odd. I've seen some call Southampton a shit hole and that they'd never move here. Not a good look at all for those who support the club. Would rather fans like that stay at home. 

Calling ourselves Scummers I'll never get. All very odd

I was born in Southampton (Shirley) and proud to be so, I now live in the Salisbury area and agree that Southampton is a shithole. Used to be better heeled than Pompey but I feel the roles have reversed. The city full of scallies and lowlife. Obviously not everywhere but boy has it changed in the last 30 or so years

1 minute ago, OldNick said:

I was born in Southampton (Shirley) and proud to be so, I now live in the Salisbury area and agree that Southampton is a shithole. Used to be better heeled than Pompey but I feel the roles have reversed. The city full of scallies and lowlife. Obviously not everywhere but boy has it changed in the last 30 or so years

You've clearly not been to Pompey for a while, baring Southsea, the rest is an absolute hell hole. 

25 minutes ago, Dman said:

You've clearly not been to Pompey for a while, baring Southsea, the rest is an absolute hell hole. 

I avoid anything Portsmouth. I hear from many people who have visited both recently and they all have said that Portsmouth is a decent place to visit whilst Southampton is a dump. It saddens me to say this. No doubt this is due to Gun Wharf (never been there) and Southsea but if having West Quay and a large Ikea trumps that, I doubt

I’m getting confused by all this now, Southampton born, lived in Bitterne until 4 and a half then lived right on the Hampshire Berkshire border. As I’ve spent more years living closer to Reading as a kid, should I have switched my support. 

😳😵🤪

Edited by John Boy Saint
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Boy Saint said:

I’m getting confused by all this now, Southampton born, lived in Bitterne until 4 and a half then lived right on the Hampshire Berkshire border. As I’ve spent more years living closer to Reading as a kid, should I have switched my support. 

😳😵🤪

Yes get out. 

Sincerely, a saints fan exiled to Gosport. 

• Confused 1

Who cares where someone lives to support a club? I think it's great that people support smaller clubs from across the world. There was a feature on YouTube of a young guy from Chile who runs the social media account Southampton world and came to his first game. Its wonderful people are drawn to teams aside of the big 6.

• Like 1