Season Predictions 2023-24

EFL Saints

I think its extremely difficult to predict atm as we have no idea what first team 11 we'll ultimately have. I'd like to think we'll be top 3 with the current matchday squad come the end of the year. However the reality is that we'll likely lose some midfield quality, and still need to strengthen at CB and ST. Reckon we will either have a great august (and carry that forward), or we'll be shaky through till about november - if the latter happens i reckon we'll have to settle for making a charge for the playoffs by the end of the year.

• Like 1

The only thing I would say is guaranteed is we will start poorly.

1) we always do

2) half the team won’t be here in September / transfers wont be finalised

3) we have been in such a poor run of form for years now, that wont get overturned overnight

Would love to think we can do a Burnley from last year and when it all clicks, we look great. But I think playoffs at best for us

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

The only thing I would say is guaranteed is we will start poorly.

1) we always do

2) half the team won’t be here in September / transfers wont be finalised

3) we have been in such a poor run of form for years now, that wont get overturned overnight

Would love to think we can do a Burnley from last year and when it all clicks, we look great. But I think playoffs at best for us

Having Sheffield Wednesday first up should be a big help on that front, as they're far less prepared for the new season. Should be an early win to build confidence. 

5 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I think its extremely difficult to predict atm as we have no idea what first team 11 we'll ultimately have. I'd like to think we'll be top 3 with the current matchday squad come the end of the year. However the reality is that we'll likely lose some midfield quality, and still need to strengthen at CB and ST. Reckon we will either have a great august (and carry that forward), or we'll be shaky through till about november - if the latter happens i reckon we'll have to settle for making a charge for the playoffs by the end of the year.

If that were to happen, could you see Martin getting the sack or would the owners stick with him?

19 hours ago, egg said:

I don't get all the people fancying Ipswich. They came up in second place. Decent side, but I can't see them challenging at the top. 

I agree we won't be anywhere near third but I don't think us being second last season as a reason for that. There's no real correlation between where the promoted league one sides finish and how they do in the Championship. Last year they all finished in reverse order. 

I'm fairly confident in us being the best promoted team. Wednesday are an absolute basket case and Plymouth, despite being incredibly well run with a top manager, are coming into the season with virtually a whole new defence. 

27 minutes ago, EFL Saints said:

If that were to happen, could you see Martin getting the sack or would the owners stick with him?

I think they'll stick with him unless it's terrible. Could see it becoming a "trust the process" style season with division amongst the fans and loads of high scoring games or nearly results. 

• Like 1

Championship winners: Leeds
Automatic: Hull City
Play offs: Southampton
Sackings: Maresca after a slow start.

PL winners: Man United
CL: Man City Chelsea, Liverpool
Europe: Arsenal, Aston Villa
Relegation: Luton, Bournemouth, Forest
First sacking: Steve Cooper
Other sackings: De Zerbi, Howe, Arteta

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Championship winners: Leeds
Automatic: Hull City
Play offs: Southampton
Sackings: Maresca after a slow start.

PL winners: Man United
CL: Man City Chelsea, Liverpool
Europe: Arsenal, Aston Villa
Relegation: Luton, Bournemouth, Forest
First sacking: Steve Cooper
Other sackings: De Zerbi, Howe, Arteta

I imagine you'll get good odds on Hull going up automatically!

• Like 1

Similar to a few on here. I think we'll start terribly. We always do but this time there will be reasons. Half the squad wont know if they'll even be here for the rest of the season but more than that, we have an awful losing mentality. That will be shown by Che and Armstrong both struggling despite clearly being more than capable in this league. 

The style of play will take a while to imbed. And our home crowd will be toxic when we give away (or nearly give away) sloppy goals. 

We will pick up in form from Christmas onwards but leave ourselves too much to do and finish 9th. 

We'll finish second, if we don't win it.

Like the other relegated teams, our resources are considerably larger. I think we're in as good a, if not better, place than them. We have a large squad, which at the start of the season should be good enough to get wins. When several depart, we've got enough depth, key targets in areas and the resources to get them to push on. The smaller squad will be a benefit then, as we've talented youngsters coming through too. The coaching team will know that they'll rarely have a better chance than this to do well with a club.

8th at best 6th but very unlikely as you need goals and we don't have any proper front players. Defence is a concern as we don't score more than we let in and possession tactics is not real football. Playing the low press in your own box is just not aggressive enough in Prem let alone a direct ball leaque.

On 04/08/2023 at 16:39, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Like the other relegated teams, our resources are considerably larger. I think we're in as good a, if not better, place than them. We have a large squad, which at the start of the season should be good enough to get wins. When several depart, we've got enough depth, key targets in areas and the resources to get them to push on. The smaller squad will be a benefit then, as we've talented youngsters coming through too. The coaching team will know that they'll rarely have a better chance than this to do well with a club.

No chance do we finish 2nd. We have no where near enough goals in the side for that

• Like 1

The consensus on this thread seems to be that we will finish 9th.  Seems a good shout to me.  If we finish just into the top half of the table and end the season with some consistency, then that will be progress.  Can then kick on next season.  Really don't expect any more than that.

3 hours ago, Lymington Saint said:

The consensus on this thread seems to be that we will finish 9th.  Seems a good shout to me.  If we finish just into the top half of the table and end the season with some consistency, then that will be progress.  Can then kick on next season.  Really don't expect any more than that.

Blimey i wouldn’t be looking here for predictions to mean anything. We are expected to go back up and anything less is a failure. Still a wealthy club with what looks like a good manager who will be able to attract good Championship players. Roll on September when we know what we are working with.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, IFHP said:

Top 10 but never really threatening the playoffs .

I would not be totally surprised if we finished in the bottom half . 

Leicester and Ipswich for the top 2. 

If you are right Martin will be sacked. No question of it.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 29/07/2023 at 14:32, Green said:

I fear a similar scenario to our first season back in the Championship after relegation last time in that we are overconfident initially, draw too many games, any star youths get sold before the transfer deadline or in January so I'm going with 10th - 12th. Despite what I have just said I am looking forward to getting back and being optimistic about winning going into games - how long before we top last season's points tally at home?

Exceeded my expectations then, however, I hadn’t appreciated how much dross there was in this league. 

On 09/08/2023 at 21:59, IFHP said:

Top 10 but never really threatening the playoffs .

I would not be totally surprised if we finished in the bottom half . 

Leicester and Ipswich for the top 2. 

Hope you popped to the bookies on 10/08/23?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, The Cat said:

So hardly anyone predicted that we'd finish top 2 and now we've finished 4th there's a bunch of people throwing their toys out the pram? Weird.

On 04/08/2023 at 16:39, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I think I would like my pram wheeled down to the park today. 🙂

Not like me to be optimistic. IIRC, I gave a moment's thought about lower, but then felt we had every reason to think we could go straight back up.

• Like 1