Joy To Watch

washsaint

I know quite a few on here are not fans of the style of play under Martin but I am absolutely loving it.

This team is a joy to watch and after years of mediocrity, watching a winning team and seeing (from afar) the whole mood around the club change so dramatically in such a short space of time is wonderful.

I love the way the team plays out from the back and draws the opposition in, allowing us to break at pace. 

Obviously we will lose eventually - and it will be interesting to see how the team reacts - but for now I cannot remember the last time I enjoyed watching a Saints team so much (probably Adkins team, and prior to that Nicholl's team.  Under Koeman we were functional as opposed to exciting to watch IMO.

What a great time to be a Saints fan.

• Like 12

The difference between last seasons cup game against Grimsby and Saturday against Walsall is light years.

I hated the slow pace of the Russell football but now we mix it up look at Mara’s goal 15 seconds from back to goal. 
We now have an identity in our play we lost when Ralph lost the plot and then that nut job Jones and the clueless Selles took us down.

Martin has done a great job so far but needs the tools to get us up a FIT striker is key after yet another transfer debacle in Stewart.

Football is fun again. Long may that continue 

• Like 1

The team have come such a long way under Russell and his coaching staff. The early part of the journey was a difficult watch at times but forgivable because you could see what they were trying to achieve. 

Now it feels like the foundations are secure, we’re in contention for automatic promotion and, with a fair wind, I can only see us getting better and stronger. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, notnowcato said:

The team have come such a long way under Russell and his coaching staff. The early part of the journey was a difficult watch at times but forgivable because you could see what they were trying to achieve. 

Now it feels like the foundations are secure, we’re in contention for automatic promotion and, with a fair wind, I can only see us getting better and stronger. 

1000%

• Like 1

Lovely football at times to be honest ..just hope we still get a striker and winger in this transfer window to really accelerate our chances of automatic promotion...injuries and suspensions might come later in the season..we have a good squad but a small squad as Russell has stated. 

There's no doubt there were plenty not fans of the style of play earlier in the season.....when it was ponderous and prone to error in dangerous areas and not enough end product.....but it's evolved and now far more effective and more pleasing on the eye. Russell Martin and his coaching staff deserve full credit for doing a great job to get us to this point, I'm sure every Saints fan hopes this continues.

• Like 1

I'm not sure whether it's the style of play or just the fact that we're winning, but the players seem more engaged too. Fraser is obviously enjoying his football and his additional directness really adds to the mix, and may give us a good chance of keeping him.

It makes a change coming out of the ground happy! I joked to a neighbour at the cup match that yes, I had a season ticket and last season it cost me about 250 quid to see each win!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, notnowcato said:

Agreed.

When RM talked about the “process” and the “bravery” required to play this style of football many supporters previously loudly deriding him are rightly turning their opinions around 180 degrees. 

Whats remarkable is that it’s taken only 3-4 months to convert a shambles FC into a 19 games unbeaten team. From top to bottom we exude a confidence and class as a club unthinkable last Summer. We have our team spirit and much of our pride back. 

Even our stewards are getting complimented! ( see Walsall forum - v complimentary about club in general and our team - more so than here!)

Not one post match interview by an opposition manager on this run has failed to say “Southampton are a very good team”. We are winning matches by 4-0 like it’s normal now. Nearly half our home matches we score 4 goals now! 

Anyone still wants to hang onto belittling comments for what Saints are doing are welcome but I feel that I’m watching probably a once in my lifetime thing happening right before my very eyes and I’m grateful I’ve been able to watch and participate as a supporter in it. COYS! 

Stay present and enjoy it! 😇

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 5

Probably for various reasons, the style of play and tactics have evolved over the course of the season for the better. That coupled with the players adapting to the system and we've arrived at a position where most/all of the fans are now on board.

Obviously the fans that knew it would all turn out OK in the end get a pat on the back and can wear their "told you so" medals with pride ( ;) ), but I maintain that the concerns that many had were justified at the time, especially against the backdrop of the previous management appointment gaffes by Sports Republic. #oncebittentwiceshy

Anyway, hopefully all this translates to promotion this season as I share the equally justified concerns of some that we could easily fall back into the pack in subsequent seasons once our current financial and player quality advantage starts to level out. 

Onwards and upwards! :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

Going to be an interesting summer whatever division we are in. Promotion will surely mean quite a few upgrades to the team, staying in this league means we will probably lose at least 7-8 players with less money to replace them meaning either way we are going to be in another period of most of our team having to learn the systems. I am concerned if we play this way in the premier league we will get quite a few hammerings given the better pressing, counter attacking and we wont dominate the ball like we do now. But hopefully we'll get relegated so we can have another crack at winning the championship.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Not one post match interview by an opposition manager on this run has failed to say “Southampton are a very good team”.

Guardiola used to trot that line out when we were fighting relegation in the PL... (I'm sure @Lord Duckhunter will back me up on that one.... ;) )

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Going to be an interesting summer whatever division we are in. Promotion will surely mean quite a few upgrades to the team, staying in this league means we will probably lose at least 7-8 players with less money to replace them meaning either way we are going to be in another period of most of our team having to learn the systems. I am concerned if we play this way in the premier league we will get quite a few hammerings given the better pressing, counter attacking and we wont dominate the ball like we do now. But hopefully we'll get relegated so we can have another crack at winning the championship.

what will make next summer more complicated (regardless of the division), is if we are unable to shift the many loan players we have out there.  

One good thing about the summer, the £6m a year contract that Ralph enjoys will be finished!

Edited by AlexLaw76

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

what will make next summer more complicated (regardless of the division), is if we are unable to shift the many loan players we have out there.  

One good thing about the summer, the £6m a year contract that Ralph enjoys will be finished!

Plus McCarthy will finally be gone. DCC was a loan to perm wasn't he? Liz is staying where, leaves 4. 

• 12. Paul Ounachu - 2026 - Trabzonspor
  • 15. Romain Perraud - 2025 - OGC Nice
  • 25. Lyanco Vojnovic - 2025 - Al Gharafa
  • 30. Jack Bycroft – 2024 - Oxford City (until January 2024)
  • 37. Armel Bella-Kotchap - 2026 - PSV Eindhoven
  • Mateusz Lis - 2027 - Göztepe
  • Duje Ćaleta-Car - 2026 - Lyon
Edited by Turkish

Next season in the Championship OR the EPL will be a massive challenge for one reason or another - as everyone rightly points out. But its hardly a revelation or cause to cast shade on what’s being delivered today.  

THIS season was guaranteed to be a massive challenge and, to date, Saints have found most of the answers, most of the time. And increasingly so last 19 matches. 

Im sure there’s work been put into the alternate scenarios of promotion or not.

Whats undeniable is that Saints ( SR, RM, JW and all the others that have been vilified) have delivered and are delivering a strong reaction and response to the desolation of bottom of the league multi manager nonsense of last season. Yes they can be blamed ( well, the SR can) but the response is there. 

Mark of a person is not failure - we all fail - but one’s response to failure. By that measure, in this current season, Saints get a big . And its as good a preparation for whether we go up or not for next season as I can think of. 

Edited by gio1saints
Sp
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

But its hardly a revelation or cause to cast shade on what’s being delivered today.  

I don't think anyone is declaring that such thoughts are a "revelation", it's simply a reality that's worthy of discussion. And I think its valid and reasonable to be discussing it now, rather thah deferring it to later in the season. Different opinions are available, of course :)

Edited by trousers
  • Like 3

55 minutes ago, trousers said:

Guardiola used to trot that line out when we were fighting relegation in the PL... (I'm sure @Lord Duckhunter will back me up on that one.... ;) )

In the 1990s we were the best team Man Utd faced all season, according to Fergie - but I have a feeling he was much less complimentary towards us when we actually had the nerve to beat them.

1 hour ago, badgerx16 said:

I still get palpitations when Baz and the back 4 are passing it around between themselves.

For your health, I'm glad we don't have Fraser Forster attempting to do that.

Agree with the views that this team has evolved into a very efficient outfit that can often be easy on the eye.Some of the goals we've scored by taking the ball from goalkeeper to attack have been superb. RM and his coaches deserve high praise for what they are achieving. I believe he's had to make some tweaks here and there but it's reassuring to see that he's not set in stone about how we play. The inverted left back position we adopt still concerns me but I'm guessing there's a good reason for it that I'm not aware of- it does seem to leave Manning stranded infield at times with oceans of space down his flank. RM's system is a lot different to Ralph's and does not take the same physical toll on the players which led to collapses and periods of matches where the side were too knackered to compete - I think Newcastle play similar to Ralph and it's noticeable that they are having the same issues with fatigue, injuries and energy levels. 

Clearly if we do get promoted we'll face far different challenges as Burnley are finding but that's the way it is. We'd need to strengthen considerably and would probably have to mix up the playing out from the back and be prepared to hoof it when the situation demands it.

All in all very happy with current situation and the way we are playing.

Edited by saintant

3 hours ago, trousers said:

I guess so. You are not wrong. 

Being complimented by most of the league of opposition managers after the match they just lost or drawn with us probably means very little. It’s a very safe comment to trot out post match. Covers their butt so to speak. If they said we were rubbish what does it make them? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I hate it. Too methodical and slow. No desire or passion. It’s as exciting as watching a competitive embroidery contest. Nothing to get the pulse racing, except when we take needless risks at the back in an effort to show off.

Too slow what 15 seconds from back to the net for Mara some good passing in between?