Joe Rothwell

SaintsFan86

Joe is never on the pitch long enough to be able to claim a particular role, but IMHO he's an ideal type of Romeu replacement in midfield

although at this rate he's likely to pass Romeu's goal tally quite soon now.  He has got some height and can put himself about and 

needless to say his goal-scoring sprees came in two vital games where we were trailing. 

• Confused 3

11 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

Joe is never on the pitch long enough to be able to claim a particular role, but IMHO he's an ideal type of Romeu replacement in midfield

although at this rate he's likely to pass Romeu's goal tally quite soon now.  He has got some height and can put himself about and 

needless to say his goal-scoring sprees came in two vital games where we were trailing. 

he is nothing like Romeu

• Like 3

He's a power player Rothwell and really like seeing him playing through the middle.  Always handy to have a brick shithouse in the side, and JR appears to have the pedigree and attributes to tear up opposition defences at this level. 

I like Rothwell, but if we go up I’m not sure he’s going to be good enough for EPL survival, in the same way Stu Armstrong will not be. If we don’t go up he’ll be the perfect asset for the Championship where he’s a cut above most others and I’d expect him to be offered a full contract assuming Bournemouth will sell.

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

I like Rothwell, but if we go up I’m not sure he’s going to be good enough for EPL survival, in the same way Stu Armstrong will not be. If we don’t go up he’ll be the perfect asset for the Championship where he’s a cut above most others and I’d expect him to be offered a full contract assuming Bournemouth will sell.

Bournemouth seem to think he is expendable even at their level as a struggling PL side so hardly likely to be much help for Saints in staying in the PL event we get there. Apart from the goals he has not impressed and seems unable to cement a place in our starting XI

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bournemouth seem to think he is expendable even at their level as a struggling PL side so hardly likely to be much help for Saints in staying in the PL event we get there. Apart from the goals he has not impressed and seems unable to cement a place in our starting XI

"Bournemouth.... a struggling PL side..."

Screenshot_20240316-104948.png

• Like 1

Delighted at his goals love that he makes impact but think these goals are the exception not the rule given his career. Hope I’m wrong. Without the recent goals he is an average AMF for saints- not a standout BUT he has scored so maybe he is now going to carry in scoring rest of season. 🤞

For most Championship sides he will start every week. Irrespective of how they play.

For the top four in Championship he probably comes off the bench most matches but also starts a fair few also. It’s 50-50 depending on how the team plays injuries suspensions etc. 

For the Premiership he’s a decent  squad player but not a guaranteed starter nor first sub depending on injuries suspensions tactics etc. 

Given his age, if we don’t go up then a 1-2 year contract is a good shout. If we go up though I’d think, just, probably not. There are younger lower wages talents in the championship worth a punt if we going that route. Or indeed more chances for our own young players. 

23 hours ago, Turkish said:

he is nothing like Romeu

he's nothing like we seen before, but is someone with experience, height and a bit of muscle and that has been missing in

midfield since Romeu left.   Exactly which role might suit him?.... is probably best left to the coaches to sort out,

but aside from his goal-scoring forays so far , he does seem to  "be able to look after himself " and is not afraid of a tackle. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

"struggling " Charlie ?.    I think one might say  " comfortable mid table"  in today's reckoning.    I'd say Forest,  Everton and Luton were " struggling" just now.

However, I agree with you that he'd be a benefit to our squad from several aspects.  Certainly think he'd be worth a good deal for 2-3 years.

I like him as a player, but do not think his style of play fits our system in a balanced way. I think he is really good off the ball attacking wise, moving into the box in a second wave etc. He has a good finish and a decent drive with the ball at his feet.

As mentioned above, he looks like he can add a bit of bite in midfield, but I feel that every time he has started a game, his good movement and attacking runs leaves too much space after him in midfield. Needs some more coaching or time to be more than a good impact sub in Martin's style of play. Think I only would start him if Stu was out.

Edited by bugenhagen
Typo

17 minutes ago, bugenhagen said:

I like him as a player, but do not think his style of play fits our system in a balanced way. I think he is really good off the ball attacking wise, moving into the box in a second wave etc. He has a good finish and a decent drive with the ball at his feet.

As mentioned above, he looks like he can add a bit of bite in midfield, but I feel that every time he has started a game, his good movement and attacking runs leaves too much space after him in midfield. Needs some more coaching or time to be more than a good impact sub in Martin's style of play. Think I only would start him if Stu was out.

I think the fact that he's different and doesn't fit the style is his major asset. He gives us a plan B when we don't have any other plan B players - we've already seen what a difference his direct running can make.

Edited by StrangelyBrown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I think the fact that he's different and doesn't fit the style is his major asset. He gives us a plan B when we don't have any other plan B players - we've already seen what a difference his direct running can make.

I agree with you and don't want him to change his style too much, but mabye just adapt a little if he is going to be more than an impact player/game changer.

Whilst I am happy that we have a player like him to come off the bench, I think he would be a bigger asset if we could utilise his strenghts over 90 mins.

He has not made a good claim for a first team spot the times he has started games. Could have something to do with Downs being injured, but I like him better as a sub so far.