Joe Rothwell

SaintsFan86

Not necessarily Stu Aribo or Charlie leaving ( well I hope not!) so the right winger is either him - 

or someone else we purchase?

Or he is part of a some kind of swap deal with Bournemouth taking one of ours? 

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

My wife asked me to try and recreate this earlier. I must admit it was a bit underwhelming compared to our Joe. 

Emphasis on the "try". She already knew. 

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Not necessarily Stu Aribo or Charlie leaving ( well I hope not!) so the right winger is either him - 

or someone else we purchase?

Or he is part of a some kind of swap deal with Bournemouth taking one of ours? 

You'd have to be somewhat unhinged to come up with a suggestion like that...

Screenshot_20240114-173325.png

2 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

Can’t believe some of shite posted on twitter about this one . One twat threatening to riot if he replaces Smallbone ffs

There is no quantity or pungency of shite that could ever be written that I would struggle to believe was on Twitter. It’s the unfiltered cranial diarrhoea of literally every human being on Earth, and many of them are absolute whack jobs.

• Like 5

Good player and experienced at this level. A position I’m not sure we need, but if a quality player becomes available then you’d be stupid to not take it up. 

All in a good signing for me.

• Like 4

Some weird reactions on here to what seems a sensible low risk move to add a multi functional midfielder who is experienced at this level and who has played above it, with the bonus of having played with a couple of our players and being available for the FA Cup where we will rotate for as long as we are in it.

We have Aribo away, Stu Armstrong with a history of injuries, Downes with recurring illness and a packed Feb and March schedule where we will obviously make changes game to game.

For me the only intrigue this adds is with Holgate (due to us clearly being in the market for a 6th loan of a wide right player). His days are surely numbered here and which means Charles may also be needed at CB on the odd occassion.

For the conspiracy theorists - there is no point in Stu Armstrong wanting out now when he is out of contract in the summer and will also know our status to be able to make an informed decision. Alcaraz recently signed a new contract and in Friday's press conference Russell Martin seemed very comfortable re any outgoings.

This just seems a sensible, low riak option to take when we are obviously constrained due to FFP and the big money wasted last Jan.

• Like 8

My money is on Sulemana leaving and miraculously being healed. From the 1 minute of highlights I have seen, Rothwell is not afraid to take players on to create good scoring chances (similar to Sulemana's front-footed swagger). 

16 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Some weird reactions on here to what seems a sensible low risk move to add a multi functional midfielder who is experienced at this level and who has played above it, with the bonus of having played with a couple of our players and being available for the FA Cup where we will rotate for as long as we are in it.

We have Aribo away, Stu Armstrong with a history of injuries, Downes with recurring illness and a packed Feb and March schedule where we will obviously make changes game to game.

For me the only intrigue this adds is with Holgate (due to us clearly being in the market for a 6th loan of a wide right player). His days are surely numbered here and which means Charles may also be needed at CB on the odd occassion.

For the conspiracy theorists - there is no point in Stu Armstrong wanting out now when he is out of contract in the summer and will also know our status to be able to make an informed decision. Alcaraz recently signed a new contract and in Friday's press conference Russell Martin seemed very comfortable re any outgoings.

This just seems a sensible, low riak option to take when we are obviously constrained due to FFP and the big money wasted last Jan.

I don't think it's weird to think this seems a little odd. On the face of it we've used up our final loan spot to provide cover for the midfield which is great to have but I'm not sure either the club or fans would say it was our number one priority. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

I don't think it's weird to think this seems a little odd. On the face of it we've used up our final loan spot to provide cover for the midfield which is great to have but I'm not sure either the club or fans would say it was our number one priority. 

We can have more than 5 loan players in the squad

17 minutes ago, St. Ciervo said:

My money is on Sulemana leaving and miraculously being healed. From the 1 minute of highlights I have seen, Rothwell is not afraid to take players on to create good scoring chances (similar to Sulemana's front-footed swagger). 

Keep your money because the scenario above is ludicrous.

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I'm sure it wasn't the number one priority, RM himself has said that wide right is.

But we are allowed to sign more than one player this window and Holgate going elsewhere would hardly be a suprise!

Edit - no more posts but re Hypo below, Dyche doesnt give a shit where Holgate is as long as its not back at Everton. If he can find a club who can pay what Everton want then he will be recalled and sent out to somewhere else. No point doing that until his new destination is agreed but personally would be very suprised if he is still here in Feb, even more so after this signing.

Edited by Dusic

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

I'm sure it wasn't the number one priority, RM himself has said that wide right is.

But we are allowed to sign more than one player this window and Holgate going elsewhere would hardly be a suprise!

I thought Dyche had already said he's staying. 

52 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I thought Dyche had already said he's staying. 

Believe he said there was no recall.

Doesn’t necessarily mean it can’t be cut short if saints & Mason Holgate mutually agree if there’s another interested party 

56 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Aribo leave to be honest. He has improved of late, but still think he's one we could move on without missing.

I can't see Aribo going. I think this lad will come in and give an option instead of Aribo of SA in the middle, and free up both of those to give us other wide right options. Sensible bit of business imo. 

5 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

According to my mate in Blackburn Rothwell is quick, good on the ball which he carries well but easily disheartened and poor defensively.

He does sound a bit like Stu Armstrong. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

There is no quantity or pungency of shite that could ever be written that I would struggle to believe was on Twitter. It’s the unfiltered cranial diarrhoea of literally every human being on Earth, and many of them are absolute whack jobs.

Sounds a bit like SaintsWeb tbf. 😁

• Like 3

Who?!?

Seriously though, having read about him a bit seems like a good option to have with a FA Cup run still going on, some niggling injuries (and the prospect of more), the Afcon competition just started and a generally thinnish squad. Bringing in more experienced older players that are out of favour like Fraser and now Rothwell, the strategy has a kind of Laurie Mac flavour about it. Good luck to the lad if it happens. Just hope it doesn’t somehow inhibit other pressing areas such as attacking prowess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gio1saints said:

Wages c £8k pw. Compared to Stu ( older) and Aribo ( bit younger) who play similar position but are ( or were - I’m unsure if they got the relegation haircut to salary? Anybody know?) on £70k pw. 

I thought the entire team got a 40% reduction, still £42k/week is high for this league. Aribo cost us €7m apparently so a relatively low fee, but his wages are what you might have expected on a free transfer, definitely inflated.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Joe Rothwell - Official: Signs on Loan

He mentioned in his interview that we have been talking to him for a few weeks, so good to know it’s not a ‘who else is available?’ after the Carvalho pursuit. Actually think his experience and relationship with a few of our players makes him a decent fit. Sounds like his playing style will help break the lines too. More sensible than exciting but you can understand the logic here.

We've signed Fraser, THB, Downes and Holgate on loan this season - our loan game has been very strong and so I put my faith in this signing as being a good one.

Review from a MU fan from 9 years ago when he was a youngster - https://thefalse9.com/2015/02/rough-diamonds-18-joe-rothwell-manchester-united.html?utm_content=cmp-true

Also looking at other team's forums, people seem to rate him quite highly.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Joe Rothwell