Joe Rothwell

SaintsFan86

6 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

our loan game has been very strong and so I put my faith in this signing as being a good one.

Agree with this. I think in the past, in the Premier, we have under used the loan market. I get the notion that we are giving game time to other clubs players, but as we've seen this season, getting the right ones in can make wonders.

1 hour ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agree with this. I think in the past, in the Premier, we have under used the loan market. I get the notion that we are giving game time to other clubs players, but as we've seen this season, getting the right ones in can make wonders.

I see the loan system as working both ways. If the player can be a Saint for a season and help progress us as a club then fantastic.

We have seen a lot of big money signings in recent years spend less time on the pitch -and contribute significantly less overall - than these loanees.

• Like 1

Also in the case of all of our loanees, its not unrealistic to sign them permanently, and I think that makes a difference.

Pretty much all of them (Downes maybe a little unknown) would snap your hand off if they could sign permanently and play for us next season in the PL, so they maybe throw themselves fully into it more than some loanees do when its clearly just a short term move.

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

In the main, our loan players in the Premier didn’t give us value for money.  I would question the commitment of a lot of them.

Surely a win-win short term deal.    His face may not fit at Bournemouth under their new coach but he has good pedigree. 

Man Utd Academy, a former England youth player.. .and a good term at Blackburn, and some Prem. action on his CV.

He looks " broad enough to handle himself " in midfield, ( a type of Romeu clone?) ..also a likeable personality in interview (shades of Rickie Lambert) .

At the moment... I'm well-satisfied anytime we sign a player who's over 6 feet tall.  Welcome Joe. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 3

Never seen him play, no idea what he can do, but there is a lot of games to play, so we now have some real depth in that central midfield area to hopefully take us back up. Best of luck to him. His experience won't do any harm.

Considering he has played or been on the bench for every game this season, I am surprised Bournemouth have allowed him to leave, but perhaps they someone coming in that will push him back down the pecking order.

Most of the sides promoted from the Championship (and those making the play offs) have used the loan system very well.  Obviously, it can leave a few gaps should you get promoted, but that's not always a bad thing. You can take stock and look to sign the quality you need for the higher level.

• Like 1

He strikes me as very much in the Downes mould. Not as a like for like player, but both have performed to a high level in the Championship and both earned their chances in the PL. However, it hasn't quite worked out for either of them at PL level. Downes has been superb for us on his return to the Championship, so I am really hoping that Rothwell can do the same. On the face of it it seems a very well thought-out move, especially as he has played with AA & THB at Blackburn and JS was at Bournemouth with him last season, so hopefully he should integrate into the group relatively easily.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CamSaint said:

He strikes me as very much in the Downes mould. Not as a like for like player, but both have performed to a high level in the Championship and both earned their chances in the PL. However, it hasn't quite worked out for either of them at PL level. Downes has been superb for us on his return to the Championship, so I am really hoping that Rothwell can do the same. On the face of it it seems a very well thought-out move, especially as he has played with AA & THB at Blackburn and JS was at Bournemouth with him last season, so hopefully he should integrate into the group relatively easily.

Good post. Perfect kind of player for us. Kind of in between Prem and Championship player, with wages too expensive for most other championship sides. If we go up, they might be worth buying and giving a second bite at the Prem cherry.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, SNSUN said:

We've signed Fraser, THB, Downes and Holgate on loan this season - our loan game has been very strong and so I put my faith in this signing as being a good one.

Review from a MU fan from 9 years ago when he was a youngster - https://thefalse9.com/2015/02/rough-diamonds-18-joe-rothwell-manchester-united.html?utm_content=cmp-true

Also looking at other team's forums, people seem to rate him quite highly.

Strong teams at this level often have a really good loan game. Burnley last season were excellent at it. 

The key is making sure you have agreements on the key ones though....or some sort of understanding of how to make a deal happen in the summer.

• Like 1

TBH I’m still a little perplexed at the implications of this signing. 

On first impression it’s a solid squad signing. But I’m still not convinced that’s all it means. I’m probably wrong but my radar is tingling..

It’s been in the works several weeks, apparently, according to Joe. 

The position he plays we already, arguably, have plenty strength in depth. He does not appear to have outstanding characteristics not already evident in current squad. 

That being the case, why is he here unless, I guess, there is an outgoing planned? And that outgoing is in the position Joe plays? 

Of the candidates:

Joe Aribo is at Afcon and on a big wage ( like Stu). He’s been hinted at elsewhere   on forum as a possible leaver but it’s hard to see that happening unless and until he gets back to UK - in which case it’s very last minute. He’d be my favourite to be the one going atm though ( IF anyone is outgoing that is) . 

Stu is prob leaving in six months - but would he be sold in this window if a good offer came in? The total absence of rumour is suspicious in itself given his status is exactly same as Che - for whom there’s loads of gossip. Second favourite for me to leave. 

Cant be Flynn. or Shea. 

Might be Will - but I very doubt Will would leave us having just got his mojo in the first team. 

Could be Charlie. Could be Charlie. Love Charlie but it could be him. I hopes not. please not. 

Anyhow, if nobody leaves it just means strength in depth for the last 19 plus cup games run in..hoping that’s what it is!

Edited by gio1saints

From the highlights reel it seems that one of Rothwell's strengths is making driving runs. It certainly seems that we are also looking to add a right-sided attacker. Maybe the plan is to try to compensate for losing KWP's attacking prowess if he is sold?

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

He's probably one of Martin's friends and we all know how much he likes to pick his mates so he'll probably shoehorn him in at RB.

Then something about being a vegan and hair.

If he does well he's a WIlcox signing if he's shit it's on Wankersen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gio1saints said:

On first impression it’s a solid squad signing. But I’m still not convinced that’s all it means. I’m probably wrong but my radar is tingling..

The position he plays we already, arguably, have plenty strength in depth. He does not appear to have outstanding characteristics not already evident in current squad. 

That being the case, why is he here unless, I guess, there is an outgoing planned? And that outgoing is in the position Joe plays? 

Of the candidates:

Joe Aribo is at Afcon and on a big wage ( like Stu). He’s been hinted at elsewhere   on forum as a possible leaver but it’s hard to see that happening unless and until he gets back to UK - in which case it’s very last minute. He’d be my favourite to be the one going atm though ( IF anyone is outgoing that is) . 

Stu is prob leaving in six months - but would he be sold in this window if a good offer came in? The total absence of rumour is suspicious in itself given his status is exactly same as Che - for whom there’s loads of gossip. Second favourite for me to leave. 

Cant be Flynn. or Shea. 

Might be Will - but I very doubt Will would leave us having just got his mojo in the first team. 

Could be Charlie. Could be Charlie. Love Charlie but it could be him. I hopes not. please not. 

Anyhow, if nobody leaves it just means strength in depth for the last 19 plus cup games run in..hoping that’s what it is!

Watching this training video Stu doesn't seem to be giving off "I'm leaving" vibes, I'm pleased to say. Can't really see Flynn or Will heading off. Charlie isn't featured much. Hopefully we don't loose any of them.

https://www.southamptonfc.com/en/video/inside-staplewood-setting-up-for-swansea

Makes sense to me, unless we sell Adams. He's back to being our starting striker it seems and we play a hybrid of 4-2-2-2 and 4-3-3. I'd expect Adam Armstrong to play with Adams, but floating right, and Fraser wide left. You then have a midfield three, where one splits right if Armstrong moves higher and more central (or KWP fills in). So with Aribo not around, and Stu not able to play 90 in every game, we need options. Charly seems to not be trusted still all the time, so Rothwell is a good addition to keep things fresh. He can play in rotation with Stu, or be an upgrade on Smallbone, with Downes the constant presence in the centre.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Joe Rothwell

Interesting comments from RM in the DE about Joe. In particular about “ frying his brain”. 
This intensive training technique is what caused brain farts in the team early season - but I’m guessing with only 19 league matches to go RM doesn’t feel he’s got much choice if Joe is to get up to speed. All the same it suggests there is no chance he will be starting any time soon and unlikely to come on unless it’s dire straits or easy streets in a match last quarter. 

That RM has publicly ( almost gleefully, it seemed to me) noted how red faced Joe was after training suggested that the reaction and level of physical fitness evident in our team is high - because J had to work very hard to keep up. RM seemed to take that as a compliment. 

Combined with Flynn comments about how Joes presence had something of a galvanising effect on the squad in training ( by which I think he meant tackles were being put in extra speed extra urgency to show why Joe should not be taking there position in team/squad) and I can see the value of this recuitment even before Joe touches a ball in anger on the pitch. 

It’s a ( hopefully clever - proofs in the pudding) use of psychology to help extract that extra one or two per cent from the starting 11 today and rest of season. At low cost too. 

22 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Interesting comments from RM in the DE about Joe. In particular about “ frying his brain”. 
This intensive training technique is what caused brain farts in the team early season - but I’m guessing with only 19 league matches to go RM doesn’t feel he’s got much choice if Joe is to get up to speed. All the same it suggests there is no chance he will be starting any time soon and unlikely to come on unless it’s dire straits or easy streets in a match last quarter. 

That RM has publicly ( almost gleefully, it seemed to me) noted how red faced Joe was after training suggested that the reaction and level of physical fitness evident in our team is high - because J had to work very hard to keep up. RM seemed to take that as a compliment. 

Combined with Flynn comments about how Joes presence had something of a galvanising effect on the squad in training ( by which I think he meant tackles were being put in extra speed extra urgency to show why Joe should not be taking there position in team/squad) and I can see the value of this recuitment even before Joe touches a ball in anger on the pitch. 

It’s a ( hopefully clever - proofs in the pudding) use of psychology to help extract that extra one or two per cent from the starting 11 today and rest of season. At low cost too. 

I think the other positive about him is he's an attacking midfielder according to Martin so even if he does play, it's not like a position where a mistake is likely to lead directly to a goal. The game is kinder on attacking players in that way. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2024 at 14:17, gio1saints said:

Of the candidates:

Cant be Flynn. or Shea. 

Seems you was right unfortunately :(

On 20/01/2024 at 07:27, gio1saints said:

I had missed this but credit to RM for this.

We reached a bit of a peak under WGS with our fitness so good to see this approach. Less tired in last 10 minutes helped not only chasing a game but seeing it out, with less mistakes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great first goal, but he was involved in the 2nd (scored it) and the 3rd too as it was his cross which forced it in I think.

I wouldn't like to see him play alongside Smallbone in a two again though, as we simply have zero defensive structure - but with Downes/Charles and Smallbone behind him he can have a real impact for us, a really nice alternative to Stu in that 10 role for me.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

I think Rothwell has bags to come in his locker and hopefully the two goals yesterday will give him the confidence to influence games more. There is no doubt he has the ability to take players on and drive forward with the ball and I'd love to see more of that from him.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

I think Rothwell has bags to come in his locker and hopefully the two goals yesterday will give him the confidence to influence games more. There is no doubt he has the ability to take players on and drive forward with the ball and I'd love to see more of that from him.

That is definitely his strength and what we need to make sure we get from him, but only playing as the 10. You don't want him driving forward and leaving Smallbone as the deepest midfielder, that is a recipe for more 5-0's, 4-1 defeats etc. We'd get destroyed on the break by good sides.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

That is definitely his strength and what we need to make sure we get from him, but only playing as the 10. You don't want him driving forward and leaving Smallbone as the deepest midfielder, that is a recipe for more 5-0's, 4-1 defeats etc. We'd get destroyed on the break by good sides.

Yes, fair points.

What a goal!!! What an impact!! We heard he was good, hoped he was good and what a time to deliver? A game that looked like we would loose, turned on its head by a goal of the season strike, and a cool second goal. You could see it lift the whole team and confidence returned to regain a winning mentality.

Shout out to Brooks, classy player and another sigh that our scouting/recruitment team does have a good eye for great talent. Our loans have been excellent ( Mason only exception) and the new signings since the new magment team are proving to be good players. This give me confidence when they buy the next young players i have never heard of and I will give them time to see what the management sees as they have spent millions of $ and month/years tracking the next super stars in the making. 

To judge a player after a few cameos would be foolish on my part, a quick judgment will not take into account all the time the club has put into recruiting these kids. 

• Like 1

Was watching the 'pitchside' video of the game on the official website .Hadn't noticed KWPs reaction to Rothwell's goal. It's on the replay and KWP is obviously totally gobsmacked at what he's just seen. Nice moment.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't sure where he was supposed to be playing when he came on. He popped up in CM, DM and in the wide areas. The problem is we currently have fuck all structure to our team, just a load of players running around (well, jogging) aimlessly and it's hard to get any momentum.

He's a good player, but we're not creating him a structure to thrive in at the moment - same can be said of Brooks, another player of genuine quality that we're struggling to integrate somehow.

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I wasn't sure where he was supposed to be playing when he came on. He popped up in CM, DM and in the wide areas. The problem is we currently have fuck all structure to our team, just a load of players running around (well, jogging) aimlessly and it's hard to get any momentum.

He's a good player, but we're not creating him a structure to thrive in at the moment - same can be said of Brooks, another player of genuine quality that we're struggling to integrate somehow.

Is he good? He was dreadful at Bristol city, missed a sitter and gave away a goal against hull and sounds like he was awful today

Just now, Turkish said:

Is he good? He was dreadful at Bristol city, missed a sitter and gave away a goal against hull and sounds like he was awful today

I think he's a good player, he certainly was at Blackburn and Bournemouth fans loved him in the occasional opportunities he got in the PL.

You don't score a goal like he did if you don't have ability in the locker, we just need to find a structure for him to thrive in.

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think he's a good player, he certainly was at Blackburn and Bournemouth fans loved him in the occasional opportunities he got in the PL.

You don't score a goal like he did if you don't have ability in the locker, we just need to find a structure for him to thrive in.

Honestly didn’t know anything about him when he signed he might be decent but so far I’ve seen a player score a belter but then repeatedly be sloppy in possession, make basic errors, give the ball away cheaply and not look at it. You can say it’s the system but when he’s repeatedly messing up 15 yard passes you have to wonder…

I’m really not sure what he adds. Two good goals v Huddersfield for sure but otherwise he just seems pointless and hasn’t impressed at all. Doesn’t tackle, poor positional sense defensively, doesn’t really make himself available to receive the ball. He’s got some technique but he doesn’t change anything, isn’t dynamic in anyway. Just a whole lot of meh. 
We needed something different today, not just another version of the same. If Armstrong, Brooks and Aribo are n/a he’s an option … but when are they all going to be n/a? In which case he’s taking a squad place that could be used by cover for Downes, or an attacking option.

He kind of sums up all that’s good and bad about RM. Some nice stuff, some amazing stuff, some careless stuff, some tactical brainlessness, some technically proficient football, and more of exactly the same as everyone else. So when we need a change we get … exactly the fucking same.

Not his fault but bloody frustrating 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Should have scored today. No question. 

It should've been an easy finish for a professional player. 10 yards out, clear sight of goal, no one near him. Literally just had to put it either side of the keeper. 

• Like 1

Honestly, you guys just don't get it. Getting rid of alcaraz and using up the last loan spot to sign Rothwell was an absolutely inspired bit of business by the club. He's best mates with Stephens and Armstrong don't you know? And all this chat about manning being a weak link, or no cover for kwp, or needing CDM cover etc., Its all nonsense, because Rothwell is the answer; he will be our key signing, the lynchpin for the team no less - Just watch as he carries us to Wembley glory 🙌🙌🙌

(I don't dislike Rothwell, but was a pointless signing imo. Alcaraz is a better player and actually our asset to develop, and the squad clearly needed strengthening elsewhere). 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...