Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whelk said:

Seems like you don’t actually know what the Dunning Kruger effect is - it isn’t a superiority complex. ‘Lavishing praise’ lol - it’s just called having a education

 

I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex.

The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. 

But congratulations on having “a education” 😉

Edited by Sir Ralph
Posted
16 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

 

I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex.

The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. 

But congratulations on having “a education” 😉

If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉

  • Like 2
Posted
2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉

He's a master at that.

  • Like 1
Posted
31 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

 

I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex.

The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. 

But congratulations on having “a education” 😉

The difference is I am saying it is not simple because economics is not a science and so many variables that impact. Whoever in charge is going to be pretty screwed at the moment and banging on about it all being tax and spend from the left is just stupid. I’ll give you the NI rise for employers was significant and not the most sensible way to undo the unaffordable giveaway/bribe from the previous government.

I am definitely not saying I have the solutions so not really irony is it?

  • Like 2
Posted
24 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉

TBF to Ralph I would have seized on that

  • Like 1
Posted
2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉

I made myself look like a right .60690EE3-C977-4BE6-987E-46678EE0BFD4.gif.e717740d2989539edd48b2d75a475752.gif

  • Haha 1
Posted
On 08/08/2026 at 13:07, AlexLaw76 said:

My wife’s friend will go to the doctors every few months about her MH and make statements that she had dinner with Queen Victoria and her dead mum the week before.

Result - sighed off work on full benefits for another 6 months or so. 

she lives a fairly comfortable life. 
 

 

 

On 08/08/2026 at 13:15, AlexLaw76 said:

She is gaming the system. It is very easy to do.

 

On 08/08/2026 at 14:46, Farmer Saint said:

I assume you've both reported her? Or is this a Soggy moment? If not, give me her name and I am happy to.

 

On 08/08/2026 at 15:14, AlexLaw76 said:

Good luck going against the verdict of a medical professional. 

Life is full of people we know who break the rules.

 

On 08/08/2026 at 17:43, Farmer Saint said:

Happy to give it a go - happy for you to IM me it if you're uncomfortable posting on here - although sounds like you don't really give a shit about her the way you talk about her.

 

On 08/08/2026 at 19:47, AlexLaw76 said:

You want to do it, you IM me your email address

 

On 08/08/2026 at 20:44, Farmer Saint said:

Email address sent - will await her info.

 

On 09/08/2026 at 06:52, AlexLaw76 said:

😂 what sort of email address is that.

I will pass thanks. Not in the game of potentially breaching UK GDPR.

 

 

On 09/08/2026 at 07:24, Farmer Saint said:

Alexlaw76isabullshitter was taken everywhere unfortunately.

GDPR does not apply to individuals, so don't worry about that.

Please send it through, you said you would above.

 

On 09/08/2026 at 07:53, AlexLaw76 said:

Love your made up email address though.

may sign it up to various subscriptions.

 

On 09/08/2026 at 08:01, Farmer Saint said:

Are you going to send the name and info through or not? Or are, as we all suspect, making stuff up? @sadoldgit I think you'll be interested at the outcome of this little saga, as one of your biggest critics is being shown up for doing exactly the same thing that you're accused of.

Don't forget, you were the one criticising this person. You then threw your other half under the bus by making her look a scumbag by keeping this type of company. You then said you'd send through her details if I sent you my email address, which I did. And now it looks like big tough Navy boy is scared to send it through, and instead he's enabling this behaviour.

Some stellar behaviour there Alex. Or it's all bullshit and you've been found out.

 

On 09/08/2026 at 08:04, AlexLaw76 said:

I have emailed You.

 

On 09/08/2026 at 08:10, Farmer Saint said:

It must be one of those slow emails as not got it yet:

Screenshot_2026-08-09-08-08-46-500_ch.protonmail.android.thumb.jpg.1139bb8951b27dfe6d05149dfe97842c.jpg

Can you send a screenshot showing it in your sent box?

 

On 09/08/2026 at 08:19, AlexLaw76 said:

This is something else. Creating a spam email account to goad me into sharing personal info of someone to a stranger on a football forum.

I will pass thanks. Good effort though.

do check out the inbox though (if this account is real and not shut down in 5 mins time), it may or may not be used to subscribe to some interesting sites.

 

And here you go after you couldn't remember posting about it @AlexLaw76

  • Haha 1
Posted
Just now, Osvaldorama said:


You’re a very strange person

Attention seekers? On an internet football forum? Acting strange? 

Nah... That's normal mate... ;)

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Osvaldorama said:


You’re a very strange person

 

That's fine, criticise the strange person, not the pedo. Classic Osvaldorama, sticking up for the criminal.

If you and Sir Ralph think I'm strange I'm fairly sure I'm on the right side of life, so thank you.

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1
Posted
13 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

So, will the triple lock go then? I've consistently said I want to see it go, and if it frees up money to re-invest into other areas then great.

Yes, good to see it being discussed. I do think that rather than proposing it for their next manifesto, they should act now and change to an inflation link in the forthcoming budget. There are though already dissenting voices in the party and the unions.

  • Like 1
Posted
52 minutes ago, iansums said:

Yes, good to see it being discussed. I do think that rather than proposing it for their next manifesto, they should act now and change to an inflation link in the forthcoming budget. There are though already dissenting voices in the party and the unions.

Everyone knows it needs to go. They need to be brave.

  • Like 1
Posted
1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

So, will the triple lock go then? I've consistently said I want to see it go, and if it frees up money to re-invest into other areas then great.

Ask pensioners

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them.

Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported.

Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts

Political minefield??

Edited by tdmickey3
Posted
21 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Ask pensioners

 

7 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them.

Pretty much my thoughts.

No pensioner should be living near, or in, poverty, due to the lack of a pension.  Not every pensioner will need a triple lock increase. But I'm more concerned with the first lot.

So keeping pensions at that level should be the minimum goal, regardless of the mechanisms to keep it there.

The pensioners I know we'll seem to be fine. Not so sure about others I see in wider settings though.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported.

Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts

Political minefield??

Isn't that what Pension Credit is ?

Edited by badgerx16
  • Like 1
Posted
19 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them.

You occasionally exchange messages on here with me.

  • Haha 1
Posted
14 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported.

Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts

Political minefield??

Absolutely they do, but you're not removing a decent pension - you're removing a better than it should be pension.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Absolutely they do, but you're not removing a decent pension - you're removing a better than it should be pension.

12K or what ever it is, is not decent?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

It is, it currently tops up income to £238 pw for a single person, and £368 for a couple.

Thanks, not a lot though is it?

Minimum wage is £12.71, based on 37 hour week its £470

3 minutes ago, Challenger said:

One of the worst in Europe apparently.

Yes, mentioned on Sky News today

Edited by tdmickey3
Posted
1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

It's about the increase rather than the initial amount - 2 separate things.

Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer?

Posted
Just now, tdmickey3 said:

Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer?

Well, the triple lock shouldn't be used as a way to increase it. If it needs increasing that should be dealt with separately. Perhaps it should be means tested as well?

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer?

Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ?

More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would this work in the gig economy ?

Edited by badgerx16
Posted
6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Well, the triple lock shouldn't be used as a way to increase it. If it needs increasing that should be dealt with separately. Perhaps it should be means tested as well?

Agree completely, as long as the means testing is done correctly  

Posted
3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ?   How long have you got left 😁

More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would this work in the gig economy ?

It is a conundrum for sure

Posted
2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ?

More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would thiswork n the gig economy ?

If they are going to run the risk of being means tested when drawing their pension, then why bother ? As with a lot of issues there's no easy answer.

Posted

Well I have a (near) vested interest as I retire within 6 years, but I do think it has to go. We need to gradually increase workplace pensions and educate people into saving more. It seems inevitable that at some point it will be means tested. My selfish argument against that is why should someone like myself who has been careful with money and planned for retirement (for much of that time without any employer funding) be punished by removing my state pension.

  • Like 2
Posted
46 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

12K or what ever it is, is not decent?

Ideally it would be a lot more. It will be £13k next April. The whole idea of the triple lock was to bring it in line with working age incomes which it has now achieved, actually exceeded.

Posted

The triple lock is not the huge problem it has been painted , certainly not in the next few years. It will need reform at some point though.

 

Higher rate relief on pension contributions is a subsidy for the better off. It needs reducing seriously, or abolishing, as the costs are enormous and growing quickly due in part  to fiscal drag.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Teamsaint1 said:

The triple lock is not the huge problem it has been painted , certainly not in the next few years. It will need reform at some point though.

 

Higher rate relief on pension contributions is a subsidy for the better off. It needs reducing seriously, or abolishing, as the costs are enormous and growing quickly due in part  to fiscal drag.

I don't agree re triple lock, but I've been expecting the higher rate relief to go for years. It's unaffordable, but I'll take advantage of it while it's there. 

Posted
1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said:

Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported.

Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts

Political minefield??

I think the answer is to keep a non triple locked and non means tested state pension, at a lower level, but with a means tested pension credit system as a top up and safety net for those who need more. Essentially, a quasi means tested system. 

  • Like 3
Posted

In essence, I think it’s perfectly reasonable to tax the younger generation in order for pensioners to be able to pay for their biscuits, but not necessarily to have a chocolate coating on said biscuit.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, egg said:

I don't agree re triple lock, but I've been expecting the higher rate relief to go for years. It's unaffordable, but I'll take advantage of it while it's there. 

Sensible to use it while it is there. The triple lock was always going to go sooner or later, ( and inevitably has to) I just don't think it is an urgent issue. And it has been weaponised. 

 

I wonder how they could usefully restrict rather than abolish  higher rate relief, allowing a bit of higher rate relief for moderately high  earners (those on say £50 to £75K)  . Would an annual  cash limit on  relief be the easiest way ?

Edited by Teamsaint1
Posted
1 hour ago, iansums said:

Ideally it would be a lot more. It will be £13k next April. The whole idea of the triple lock was to bring it in line with working age incomes which it has now achieved, actually exceeded.

Correct me if i am wrong but how is that a working income?

 

Posted
1 hour ago, egg said:

I think the answer is to keep a non triple locked and non means tested state pension, at a lower level, but with a means tested pension credit system as a top up and safety net for those who need more. Essentially, a quasi means tested system. 

Agreed but it must be accurate/correct in its workings so those that need it don`t get missed

  • Like 1
Posted
7 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

Correct me if i am wrong but how is that a working income?

 

It was some sort of average income for working age adults, I don’t know the exact details.

Posted
2 minutes ago, iansums said:

It was some sort of average income for working age adults, I don’t know the exact details.

All I know is that the Minimum wage is £12.71, based on 37 hour week its £470 and works out to be much more than 13k per year

Posted
16 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said:

All I know is that the Minimum wage is £12.71, based on 37 hour week its £470 and works out to be much more than 13k per year

Roughly that - minimum wage is broadly double the state pension. 

  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Council able to take control of empty homes - excellent news - will allow a provision of more council homes without the burden being on the Government to fund the building (although renovations will likely take place).

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...