Sir Ralph Posted September 16 Posted September 16 (edited) 1 hour ago, whelk said: Seems like you don’t actually know what the Dunning Kruger effect is - it isn’t a superiority complex. ‘Lavishing praise’ lol - it’s just called having a education I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex. The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. But congratulations on having “a education” 😉 Edited September 16 by Sir Ralph
Sheaf Saint Posted September 16 Posted September 16 16 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said: I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex. The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. But congratulations on having “a education” 😉 If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉 2
Farmer Saint Posted September 16 Posted September 16 2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said: If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉 He's a master at that. 1
whelk Posted September 16 Posted September 16 31 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said: I know what the DK effect is - I didn’t say it was a superiority complex. The irony is was pointing out is that you’re accusing other people of overestimating their knowledge whilst telling us how knowledgable you are. Whether you call that “lavishing praise” and or just stating your own expertise doesn’t change the point. But congratulations on having “a education” 😉 The difference is I am saying it is not simple because economics is not a science and so many variables that impact. Whoever in charge is going to be pretty screwed at the moment and banging on about it all being tax and spend from the left is just stupid. I’ll give you the NI rise for employers was significant and not the most sensible way to undo the unaffordable giveaway/bribe from the previous government. I am definitely not saying I have the solutions so not really irony is it? 2
whelk Posted September 16 Posted September 16 24 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said: If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉 TBF to Ralph I would have seized on that 1
Sir Ralph Posted September 16 Posted September 16 2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said: If you're going to pick someone up on their grammar then it's always a good idea to double check your own before clicking the submit button. Otherwise it makes you look a bit of a tit 😉 I made myself look like a right . 1
Farmer Saint Posted September 23 Posted September 23 https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c607ly09y7rlo They've got this wrong consistently over the past 18 months - will they be correct this time?
Farmer Saint Posted Thursday at 20:12 Posted Thursday at 20:12 On 08/08/2026 at 13:07, AlexLaw76 said: My wife’s friend will go to the doctors every few months about her MH and make statements that she had dinner with Queen Victoria and her dead mum the week before. Result - sighed off work on full benefits for another 6 months or so. she lives a fairly comfortable life. On 08/08/2026 at 13:15, AlexLaw76 said: She is gaming the system. It is very easy to do. On 08/08/2026 at 14:46, Farmer Saint said: I assume you've both reported her? Or is this a Soggy moment? If not, give me her name and I am happy to. On 08/08/2026 at 15:14, AlexLaw76 said: Good luck going against the verdict of a medical professional. Life is full of people we know who break the rules. On 08/08/2026 at 17:43, Farmer Saint said: Happy to give it a go - happy for you to IM me it if you're uncomfortable posting on here - although sounds like you don't really give a shit about her the way you talk about her. On 08/08/2026 at 19:47, AlexLaw76 said: You want to do it, you IM me your email address On 08/08/2026 at 20:44, Farmer Saint said: Email address sent - will await her info. On 09/08/2026 at 06:52, AlexLaw76 said: 😂 what sort of email address is that. I will pass thanks. Not in the game of potentially breaching UK GDPR. On 09/08/2026 at 07:24, Farmer Saint said: Alexlaw76isabullshitter was taken everywhere unfortunately. GDPR does not apply to individuals, so don't worry about that. Please send it through, you said you would above. On 09/08/2026 at 07:53, AlexLaw76 said: Love your made up email address though. may sign it up to various subscriptions. On 09/08/2026 at 08:01, Farmer Saint said: Are you going to send the name and info through or not? Or are, as we all suspect, making stuff up? @sadoldgit I think you'll be interested at the outcome of this little saga, as one of your biggest critics is being shown up for doing exactly the same thing that you're accused of. Don't forget, you were the one criticising this person. You then threw your other half under the bus by making her look a scumbag by keeping this type of company. You then said you'd send through her details if I sent you my email address, which I did. And now it looks like big tough Navy boy is scared to send it through, and instead he's enabling this behaviour. Some stellar behaviour there Alex. Or it's all bullshit and you've been found out. On 09/08/2026 at 08:04, AlexLaw76 said: I have emailed You. On 09/08/2026 at 08:10, Farmer Saint said: It must be one of those slow emails as not got it yet: Can you send a screenshot showing it in your sent box? On 09/08/2026 at 08:19, AlexLaw76 said: This is something else. Creating a spam email account to goad me into sharing personal info of someone to a stranger on a football forum. I will pass thanks. Good effort though. do check out the inbox though (if this account is real and not shut down in 5 mins time), it may or may not be used to subscribe to some interesting sites. And here you go after you couldn't remember posting about it @AlexLaw76 1
Osvaldorama Posted Friday at 09:57 Posted Friday at 09:57 13 hours ago, Farmer Saint said: And here you go after you couldn't remember posting about it @AlexLaw76 You’re a very strange person 1
trousers Posted Friday at 09:59 Posted Friday at 09:59 Just now, Osvaldorama said: You’re a very strange person Attention seekers? On an internet football forum? Acting strange? Nah... That's normal mate...
tdmickey3 Posted Friday at 10:04 Posted Friday at 10:04 5 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said: You’re a very strange person 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Coming from you....
Farmer Saint Posted Friday at 14:15 Posted Friday at 14:15 (edited) 4 hours ago, Osvaldorama said: You’re a very strange person That's fine, criticise the strange person, not the pedo. Classic Osvaldorama, sticking up for the criminal. If you and Sir Ralph think I'm strange I'm fairly sure I'm on the right side of life, so thank you. Edited Friday at 14:21 by Farmer Saint 1
whelk Posted Saturday at 10:27 Posted Saturday at 10:27 I respect Rayner for what she has made of herself from her background but she’s a fucking liability having anything to do with policy. Rayner criticises visa rule proposals ahead of Labour conference https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cmx2zz035q99o 1
Farmer Saint Posted 3 hours ago Posted 3 hours ago So, will the triple lock go then? I've consistently said I want to see it go, and if it frees up money to re-invest into other areas then great.
iansums Posted 3 hours ago Author Posted 3 hours ago 13 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: So, will the triple lock go then? I've consistently said I want to see it go, and if it frees up money to re-invest into other areas then great. Yes, good to see it being discussed. I do think that rather than proposing it for their next manifesto, they should act now and change to an inflation link in the forthcoming budget. There are though already dissenting voices in the party and the unions. 1
Farmer Saint Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago 52 minutes ago, iansums said: Yes, good to see it being discussed. I do think that rather than proposing it for their next manifesto, they should act now and change to an inflation link in the forthcoming budget. There are though already dissenting voices in the party and the unions. Everyone knows it needs to go. They need to be brave. 1
tdmickey3 Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago 1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said: So, will the triple lock go then? I've consistently said I want to see it go, and if it frees up money to re-invest into other areas then great. Ask pensioners
Farmer Saint Posted 2 hours ago Posted 2 hours ago 12 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: Ask pensioners My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them.
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago (edited) 9 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them. Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported. Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts Political minefield?? Edited 1 hour ago by tdmickey3
Holmes_and_Watson Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 21 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: Ask pensioners 7 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them. Pretty much my thoughts. No pensioner should be living near, or in, poverty, due to the lack of a pension. Not every pensioner will need a triple lock increase. But I'm more concerned with the first lot. So keeping pensions at that level should be the minimum goal, regardless of the mechanisms to keep it there. The pensioners I know we'll seem to be fine. Not so sure about others I see in wider settings though.
badgerx16 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago (edited) 10 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported. Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts Political minefield?? Isn't that what Pension Credit is ? Edited 1 hour ago by badgerx16 1
badgerx16 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 19 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: My parents and my in-laws both think it should go - TBH I don't speak to many other pensioners outside of them. You occasionally exchange messages on here with me. 1
Weston Super Saint Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 1 minute ago, badgerx16 said: You occasionally exchange messages on here with me. And Trousers!
Farmer Saint Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 14 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported. Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts Political minefield?? Absolutely they do, but you're not removing a decent pension - you're removing a better than it should be pension.
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 6 minutes ago, badgerx16 said: Isn't that what Pension Credit is ? I dont know mate
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 3 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: Absolutely they do, but you're not removing a decent pension - you're removing a better than it should be pension. 12K or what ever it is, is not decent?
badgerx16 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 1 minute ago, tdmickey3 said: I dont know mate It is, it currently tops up income to £238 pw for a single person, and £368 for a couple.
Challenger Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 2 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: 12K or what ever it is, is not decent? One of the worst in Europe apparently.
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago (edited) 4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said: It is, it currently tops up income to £238 pw for a single person, and £368 for a couple. Thanks, not a lot though is it? Minimum wage is £12.71, based on 37 hour week its £470 3 minutes ago, Challenger said: One of the worst in Europe apparently. Yes, mentioned on Sky News today Edited 1 hour ago by tdmickey3
Farmer Saint Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 6 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: 12K or what ever it is, is not decent? It's about the increase rather than the initial amount - 2 separate things.
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said: It's about the increase rather than the initial amount - 2 separate things. Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer?
Farmer Saint Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago Just now, tdmickey3 said: Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer? Well, the triple lock shouldn't be used as a way to increase it. If it needs increasing that should be dealt with separately. Perhaps it should be means tested as well? 1
badgerx16 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago (edited) 7 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: Agreed but its miles of where it should be, so what`s the answer? Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ? More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would this work in the gig economy ? Edited 1 hour ago by badgerx16
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said: Well, the triple lock shouldn't be used as a way to increase it. If it needs increasing that should be dealt with separately. Perhaps it should be means tested as well? Agree completely, as long as the means testing is done correctly
tdmickey3 Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said: Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ? How long have you got left 😁 More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would this work in the gig economy ? It is a conundrum for sure
Challenger Posted 1 hour ago Posted 1 hour ago 2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said: Compulsory euthanasia at 75 ? More realistically, compulsory workplace schemes across the board, but are people under 25 on minimal wages going to accept additional deductions from their pay packets ? Or how would thiswork n the gig economy ? If they are going to run the risk of being means tested when drawing their pension, then why bother ? As with a lot of issues there's no easy answer.
iansums Posted 52 minutes ago Author Posted 52 minutes ago Well I have a (near) vested interest as I retire within 6 years, but I do think it has to go. We need to gradually increase workplace pensions and educate people into saving more. It seems inevitable that at some point it will be means tested. My selfish argument against that is why should someone like myself who has been careful with money and planned for retirement (for much of that time without any employer funding) be punished by removing my state pension. 1
iansums Posted 44 minutes ago Author Posted 44 minutes ago 46 minutes ago, tdmickey3 said: 12K or what ever it is, is not decent? Ideally it would be a lot more. It will be £13k next April. The whole idea of the triple lock was to bring it in line with working age incomes which it has now achieved, actually exceeded.
Teamsaint1 Posted 41 minutes ago Posted 41 minutes ago The triple lock is not the huge problem it has been painted , certainly not in the next few years. It will need reform at some point though. Higher rate relief on pension contributions is a subsidy for the better off. It needs reducing seriously, or abolishing, as the costs are enormous and growing quickly due in part to fiscal drag.
egg Posted 31 minutes ago Posted 31 minutes ago 9 minutes ago, Teamsaint1 said: The triple lock is not the huge problem it has been painted , certainly not in the next few years. It will need reform at some point though. Higher rate relief on pension contributions is a subsidy for the better off. It needs reducing seriously, or abolishing, as the costs are enormous and growing quickly due in part to fiscal drag. I don't agree re triple lock, but I've been expecting the higher rate relief to go for years. It's unaffordable, but I'll take advantage of it while it's there.
egg Posted 26 minutes ago Posted 26 minutes ago 1 hour ago, tdmickey3 said: Some pensioners need a decent state pension as they have little else and those people should be supported. Means testing is the answer but can this be performed correctly? I have my doubts Political minefield?? I think the answer is to keep a non triple locked and non means tested state pension, at a lower level, but with a means tested pension credit system as a top up and safety net for those who need more. Essentially, a quasi means tested system. 1
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now