Have we given up already

ladysaint

Originally Posted by Legod Second Coming viewpost.gif

I'll give up on promotion when it is mathematically impossible and not before.

thats the spirit, exactly my thinking. Whats the point in spending £100's supporting this season home and away if the best you are hoping for is a mid table finish.

Not really. The anti-Lord Lowe, flat cap contingent would love it for us to go down just so they could come on here and say, 'I told you so'. That is their mentality. That is what we are dealing with.

I am certainly not a 'flat cap' (whatever that means in contemporary society) but having 40 years experience of supporting Saints my view having watched the first three games is that youth alone will not keep us in this division. We lack the necessary quality and 'nouse' to cope with this league. I don't like saying this as I believe in youth, but there is an inevitabilty about the current situation. Svensson and Davis, our best players so far, can't be expected to do it all!

I'm still optimistic - what's the point of not being this early in the season? I couldn't get to the Birmingham game but it sounds like we played well. I'm not expecting a good result at Derby - it's a pity that our first 3 fixtures are up against some of the strongest teams in the league. I'll be able to form a more realistic judgement when I've seen us play teams like Blackpool.

Even to finish in mid-table we need to take a lot of points - 60? - ; most of us realise there is little hope of anything coming our way in the first six games. By then, team morale may be too low to generate a winning culture to bounce back quickly. Jan will be under pressure to change things around to get results and will be "encouraged" to give the more experienced (sic: older and slower) guys a game and suddenly everything will be back up in the air and fragmenting. Long ball footie would be back with a vengeance. Things could be bad from then on.

To have won promotion was always a long shot with all that has gone on here but it was essential to start with a winning run and mentality. That chance has slipped by and probably any hopes of avoiding a relegation scrap with it.

Even to finish in mid-table we need to take a lot of points - 60? - ; most of us realise there is little hope of anything coming our way in the first six games. By then, team morale may be too low to generate a winning culture to bounce back quickly. Jan will be under pressure to change things around to get results and will be "encouraged" to give the more experienced (sic: older and slower) guys a game and suddenly everything will be back up in the air and fragmenting. Long ball footie would be back with a vengeance. Things could be bad from then on.

To have won promotion was always a long shot with all that has gone on here but it was essential to start with a winning run and mentality. That chance has slipped by and probably any hopes of avoiding a relegation scrap with it.

Yes but.

How many games LAST season before we won? And we have actually WON a competitive game this season.

May not be THAT big a team but it WAS a better result than our PL quality based squad managed against similar level teams for the last few years.

The current negativity is almost a mirror image of the positivity back in early January. We were appalling over the Christmas period and anyone could see we were in freefall, but TSF, Leon and others kept on about pushing for the playoffs.

It is WAY too early to start slitting wrists. There's even rumours of EXPERIENCED players coming to the club FFS

I'm realistic about our chances. I'd take a mid table finish, anything higher would be great.

I won't think about relegation until we're a third of the season in as then I could make a more balanced opinion of how the team will fare.

Look at Palace and Hull last season, they started off terribly and where did they end up?! Or even Sunderland the season before - alright that may not happen!

Fulthorpe take over is close.

He also had a meeting with Shearer today.

You heard it here first.

If it was going to happen, why are we signing loan players to play in the present team? If Lowe/Wilde were on the point of selling up, nothing would be happening, especially the sale of Davies.

I'm still sceptical.:smt117 :smt117 :smt117 :smt117 still counting

Edited by derry

I understand at QPR they have already taken their cyanide pills and that after two games the engraver is on his way to the trophy workshop to start annointing the new champions...

Freakin Hell.

Two games in and the season's over.

I wouldn't want to be your missus on birthdays and Christmas if you finish everything else as quickly.... ;)

The thing that is great about the Championship is it not a two horse race as Hull prooved last season if you can get a run going any team can be in the mix for promotion like wise as Leeds have prooved if you get on a loosing run anyone can get relegated it is such a open League.

That said if we are top half and challenging for a play off spot I would see that as success this season I havent lost hope yet but our young side needs 3 points and some confidence to kick start the season and get them on the right track.

. Long ball footie would be back with a vengeance. Things could be bad from then on.

I watched all of the home games last season and the one before that too. I struggle to remember long ball footie being the order of the day. Perhaps we played that only at the away games. ;) Mind you, I listened to all the radio commentaries for the away games and don't recall the commentators mentioning it much.

Originally Posted by Legod Second Coming viewpost.gif

I'll give up on promotion when it is mathematically impossible and not before.

thats the spirit, exactly my thinking. Whats the point in spending £100's supporting this season home and away if the best you are hoping for is a mid table finish.

Because i love football and i love this club. The people i meet while off around the country are among the best you could ever hope to meet. Everytime i go to a game i hope we win not expect it. If i went to the game expecting it i wouldn't be a very good supporter as i'd have ignored everything that has happened recently. We will play crap more times then we will play well, we will lose more then we will win, we will get colds out there in winter. But were do it all again the following weekend because that is what supporting is! If we wanted it all to be so easy we would of done like most of the kids round here today have done and support man yoo or chelski. You have to suffer the bad times to appreciate the good.

It's not a case of giving up it's a case of being realistic.

Only 4 teams were worse than us last year, since then we have lost over 15 first team players, brought in a few on the cheap and hired a manager with no experience of English football. Staying up would be a massive achievement, there isn't a manager alive who could get that team promoted this season IMO.

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, us staying up this year will be as good an achievement as Hull or Stoke staying up in the Prem.

I would be happy to consolidate our position in the CCC this season,and hopefully push on towards a possible play off position next season.

This scenario is not beyond the realms of possibility IMO.

However with the multi billion pound take over that is due tomorrow i expect us to be crowned CCC champions by the begining of next April,and Shearer named manager of the year coupled with BWP winning the golden boot,Thus earning and England call up.

Only 4 teams were worse than us last year, since then we have lost over 15 first team players, brought in a few on the cheap and hired a manager with no experience of English football. Staying up would be a massive achievement, there isn't a manager alive who could get that team promoted this season IMO.

Some people need to wake up and smell the coffee, us staying up this year will be as good an achievement as Hull or Stoke staying up in the Prem.

Claus/Makin were injured for nearly the most of last season, the rest I would prefer to call underachievers. The squad we have at the moment may be young but from what I have seen so far show more passion and fight than most of those 15 you mention. We will finish mid table this season and certainly will not get relegated. Stick with your doom and gloom, I will stay happy clappy.

Claus/Makin were injured for nearly the most of last season, the rest I would prefer to call underachievers. The squad we have at the moment may be young but from what I have seen so far show more passion and fight than most of those 15 you mention. We will finish mid table this season and certainly will not get relegated. Stick with your doom and gloom, I will stay happy clappy.

must get the doctor to change my perscription!

Just before the 2000 European Championships, do you think the Greek manager sat down with his squad and gave them the following team-talk:

"So, boys, we'll be lucky to come away from this tournament in last place, what with having to play England with Beckham, Portugal with Figo, France with Henry, Spain with Raul, Germany with Bierhoff...."

At the top level, the difference between Club teams is often monumental - we could never compete with a Chelsea.

But at this level, as was evident throughout last year, the difference between clubs is miniscule. As we showed on Saturday. And one of the biggest differences is not the playing talent of individuals but the performance of the team.

Look at the teams that finished in the top 6. Even the Champions did not start the season with a squad of football luminaries.

If you aim for promotion, you may not get there and end up mid-table. If you aim to avoid relegation, you may not get there and will end up relegated.

But one thing is for sure. The lower you aim, the lower you'll finish.

Our aims should be points based in my book. Let's see how quickly we can get to 50 points, and then 60, and then 70 and so on. But NEVER by writing off any possible positive outcome.

Call me old-fashioned but Saturday showed me the difference between us and Birmingham was a little bit of composure. not Kevin Phillips....