Have we given up already

ladysaint

been reading a lot of here lately and it seems after only two games of the season that the majority on here are not thinking of aiming for promotion but survival or at the best mid table mediocracy. Am I the only one who still hopes for promotion, I cant go through this season just hoping for a mid table finish.

I guess we just got to be realistic. Tehres no need to fool ourselves. I would say a mid table position this year would be a success considering the change of direction and cuts at the club.I would hope we could buil don that if we get it into the next season and maybe achieve promotion in the next 3-5 years, it isn't going to happen over night. Either that or we stabilise in this league and stay here for god knows how long. The third option I won't speak of.

been reading a lot of here lately and it seems after only two games of the season that the majority on here are not thinking of aiming for promotion but survival or at the best mid table mediocracy. Am I the only one who still hopes for promotion, I cant go through this season just hoping for a mid table finish.

I still hope for promotion but can't really see it this season. We need to stabalise what with a virtually new squad so mid table this season will do for me.

I haven't. I love the way we are trying to play football, I'm excited by the long-term ambition of this set up. Sure, this season might turn out to be a lower mid-table finish, but that doesn't worry me. We are playing football the right way, lots of quick passing football.

Don't be put off by negativity on here, Jan, there's still plenty of positivity around.

My view has not changed at all; our clubs primary aims for this season have to be to avoid administration, improve our financial stability to move away from any such possibility and stay up in The Championship while building for the future on the pitch. This is realistic based on our current position as a club; after all we are in a right mess. We have a big fight on our hands so I would hope no-one is giving up as this has only just started.

Saying that; The Championship being the mediocre and amazingly unpredictable division that it is, does lend itself to us (or anyone else for that matter) doing much better than just surviving should we (they) get some real positive momentum.

If the players and coaching staff are made of the right stuff then they may well react very well in the face of the tough times that we are encountering.

If the main objectives are met then promotion would be a massive bonus and is not out of reach if JP can make the nippers click early enough.

Come on you Saints!!!!

I haven't. I love the way we are trying to play football, I'm excited by the long-term ambition of this set up. Sure, this season might turn out to be a lower mid-table finish, but that doesn't worry me. We are playing football the right way, lots of quick passing football.

Don't be put off by negativity on here, Jan, there's still plenty of positivity around.

hit me quick....that is twice today i am agreeing with you..

this needs to stop, or I ill get a beating from my cyber bullies on here..:D

Guest Hacienda
I love the way we are trying to play football, I'm excited by the long-term ambition of this set up. Sure, this season might turn out to be a lower mid-table finish, but that doesn't worry me. We are playing football the right way, lots of quick passing football.

I agree 100%. However, if I was offered lower mid table right now I'd snap their hand off.

Surely no-one has actually "given up". My first look at the new team on Saturday, but most reports have seemed encouraging and mid table should be eminently gettable. I reckon all relegation talk at this stage is reverse psychology; as supporters, we only fear the worst when we need 4 points to stay up from the last game of the season.

Guest Hacienda
I'm still expecting automatic promotion. Unfortunately, 90% of the 'fans' on this site thrive on discontent.

Thankfully none of us give a fat rats arse what a mong like you thinks.

If I am honest, I truly hope that this works, whilst doubting it will.

Analysing it sensibly, survival this season will be difficult but with a lot of ups and downs we have enough technical quality in the squad to do it, the X factor will be the intelligence of the players and coaches to learn quickly.

I hope to heck that we do not actually go up this year, we aren't ready as a squad, fans or as a business and we would have to mortgage our one season of TV money and parachute payments to try and be better than Derby were last year by bringing in experienced PL players.

BUT and it's a BIG BUT. I think that IF the concept can hold together and we can survive this season we will have a solid base for next year - sure there will be ins and outs but as a "culture" throughout the club and a core of youngsters growing and learning together then I think we could do something special and go up and what is more the nucleus would be there to actually give it a go to stay there.

(Damn - it's almost like our "uber capitalist" is installing a "communist" system into our club - yikes never thought of it that way???!!???)

So no haven't given up. I said on day one that Rupert was taking an incredible gamble deciding to fight SO many battles on so many fronts and I so far it is exactly what I expected - up and down emotionally already.

This season is a RollerCoaster ride that lasts for almost 9 months, we've paid in hearts and minds and we cannot get off.

Let's stop worrying if there is a Monster Coming Over The Hill and enjoy the view

Promotion was never realistic anyway, just PR crao from Lowe, Wilde & Cowen. I always thought it would be very tough season once the club decided to go with youth due our financial situation. I just wish the board would stop mentioning promotion or the chance of it because unless our kids turn into wonderkids overnight.

As i said all pre season people need to keep their feet on the ground. Some people honestly believed what was being said on the OS, some believed Wilde and Lowe when they said promotion was our target this season, some even said we will be like Man U when they put out their kids, some honestly felt we were going to quite comfortably be mid table. Now a lot of you are realising what most of us already knew. Were a club using the kids not because they are great players but because we have no choice to. There is only 2 games gone and we are in for a tough long season, but we stand a better chance of surviving if people don't expect us to perform miracles and still turn up and support the team. This season is a season of simply battling to survive because if we don't we will drift off into oblivion. The whole Lowe return thing will not change the fact we are a sinking ship, it just has a different driver. As fans we can do only what we can do and that is support the team and manager.

Been reading a lot on here lately and it seems after only two games of the season that the majority on here are not thinking of aiming for promotion but survival or at the best mid table mediocracy. Am I the only one who still hopes for promotion, I cant go through this season just hoping for a mid table finish.

The team has shown by two close results that it is not being outplayed and is capable of beating any other side in this league. If you look at the fixtures this year, they are all winnable, but in the well-worn phrase, some are more winnable than others. We will win games we are expected to lose and we will lose games we would expect to win, but so will all the other sides in the league.

Cardiff and Derby away, and Birmingham at home would all be games in the 'less winnable' category. All that has happened is that these games have come together at the beginning of the season. That does not change the team's prospects for the season at all, and in the closeness of the results, there is a great deal of positive to be drawn.

However, two defeats, even close ones against strong sides, have been leapt upon by the Lowe-hating obsessives who have been predicting total annihilation of the club ever since their nemesis came back in May. These people need the club to lose games to justify their abusive attitude towards the club management. As we play the more winnable games, or get a result against Derby, which is highly probable, most will fade back into the dark as they will be less able to continue their negative campaigning. Even mid-table will be enough to do that, but in this league the difference between mid table and a top-six spot is often just 2 or 3 wins, so for any club in mid-table the prospect of promotion cannot be discounted. It's one of the things that makes the CCC an exciting league to play in.

The team has shown by two close results that it is not being outplayed and is capable of beating any other side in this league. If you look at the fixtures this year, they are all winnable, but in the well-worn phrase, some are more winnable than others. We will win games we are expected to lose and we will lose games we would expect to win, but so will all the other sides in the league.

Cardiff and Derby away, and Birmingham at home would all be games in the 'less winnable' category. All that has happened is that these games have come together at the beginning of the season. That does not change the team's prospects for the season at all, and in the closeness of the results, there is a great deal of positive to be drawn.

However, two defeats, even close ones against strong sides, have been leapt upon by the Lowe-hating obsessives who have been predicting total annihilation of the club ever since their nemesis came back in May. These people need the club to lose games to justify their abusive attitude towards the club management. As we play the more winnable games, or get a result against Derby, which is highly probable, most will fade back into the dark as they will be less able to continue their negative campaigning. Even mid-table will be enough to do that, but in this league the difference between mid table and a top-six spot is often just 2 or 3 wins, so for any club in mid-table the prospect of promotion cannot be discounted. It's one of the things that makes the CCC an exciting league to play in.

Our time has come. repent those sinners!!

You're clearly clutching at straws. The Youth team needed a good start to the season because their confidence will now be very low. Once derby beat us it'll be even lower and what if we lose one of you winable games against Blackpool and then go into an away game at QPR having lost the previous 4. Let's face it out of those 5 games Blackpool is the only one we've got a realistic chance of winning.

As for the anti Lowe side of our dis-united fanbase cranking it up against Lowe then who knows, but i guarentee you i will be using it against Lowe because i will not be satisfied until he is gone from SFC for good.

Seems a bit extreme to want the club to lose games!

Put me in the Anti-Lowe camp, I have no confidence in the current setup BUT I really hope I am proved wrong, I want the club to be successful, I might even start singing his praises but lets just wait and see, we have a long way to go.

As I mentioned on another thread, this club can be likened to a parenthood, if you have disfunctional parents you get disfunctional kids.

Professor and the like can spout on all they like about the Lowe haters and the negativity, but there is no smoke without fire. Over the last few years this club has been run in a shambolic manner. Lowe, Wilde, Crouch, the whole damn lot of them have contributed. The minute we feel the club is on the up, another piece of sh*te falls on our duvet.

The club itself has provided far too many negatives and failures to then expect the fans to leap about with joy when yet another plan is put into action.

No true saints fan wants to see saints loose even if it means the demise of Lowe again, but unfortunately with all that has gone on, most expect them to.

Seems a bit extreme to want the club to lose games!

Not really. The anti-Lord Lowe, flat cap contingent would love it for us to go down just so they could come on here and say, 'I told you so'. That is their mentality. That is what we are dealing with.

Professor and the like can spout on all they like about the Lowe haters and the negativity, but there is no smoke without fire. Over the last few years this club has been run in a shambolic manner. Lowe, Wilde, Crouch, the whole damn lot of them have contributed. The minute we feel the club is on the up, another piece of sh*te falls on our duvet.

The club itself has provided far too many negatives and failures to then expect the fans to leap about with joy when yet another plan is put into action.

This is the reality they will never accept. Some as i have said confuse negativity with realism. The funny thing is i bet those who are happy with our situation are the ones who actually don't spend anything on supporting it.

I know where you are coming from with this. I'd love us to be up there fighting for promotion. The realist in me tells me we'd come straight back down though.

TBH I haven't even entertained thoughts of promotion this season. the best I could realistically hope for is mid table obscurity.

Cling to those hopes you have though, and I hope you can turn round next May and tell us "See, I told you so!"

Our first team avoided relegation by the skin of their teeth last season. I have faith that our youth team will survive, but I think even Man Utd's youth team would struggle to get promoted in CCC.

To say we are playoff contenders is unrealistic IMO. If we are in the playoffs come the end of the season I will eat a small family hatch-back.

I think mid-table is the most we can hope for - a limited ambition for a club but a great achievement for a young squad.

This is the partially what we should have done when we got relegated: Bring in a band of hungry youth team players around a core of experienced pros.

Unfortunately we had a manager who seemed to have one game plan (that being to buy your way out of the division) no motivation and no money. I don't think the board had much of a clue either. Of the squad, we lost the good players and kept only the same mediocre ones who had done most to get us relegated. Then we seemed to abandon any idea of playing the youngsters and brought in more journeymen. We were just piling new mistakes on top of the old - which is exactly what happened when we had 3 managers in a season and each had just enough time to bring in their own players and tactics, and stir the pot of mediocrity.

It's not JP's approach I doubt, but more that it's taken so long to come around that we're taking the approach with half the talent we used to have. We've spent three years in the CCC fannying around getting nowhere.

If these guys gel, then we have the nucleus of a good squad. It's then just a case of the current board keeping it ticking over hoping to get lucky with one of them or someone coming in to buy us out. Either way, no-one would be interested in us failing on the pitch and losing money like it's going out of fashion.

Surely there's plenty of excitement left in the old dog yet?

...... Professor and the like can spout on all they like about the Lowe haters and the negativity, but there is no smoke without fire. Over the last few years this club has been run in a shambolic manner. Lowe, Wilde, Crouch, the whole damn lot of them have contributed. The minute we feel the club is on the up, another piece of sh*te falls on our duvet.

The club itself has provided far too many negatives and failures to then expect the fans to leap about with joy when yet another plan is put into action.....

If by the last few years you mean the last three, that is true, but it was Wilde's mis-timed attempt to take over, when he did not have the means to run the club - and turned to the weird ex-Fulham bunch - that prevented proper strengthening of the team. It seems he realised the mistake and is trying to make up for it, after all, he could have just stayed away. Lowee as well, doesn't have to give up time to SFC, there must be other things he would be just as happy doing, but he is here trying to rescue the club and he does have a plan. No one is asking the fans to "Jump with Joy" at a plan before it is shown to be working, but the negatives don't even want to give it a chance. That is NOT realism, it is simply mind numbing rejection of everything the club tries to do.

Guest Hacienda

What a crock of sh1te.

There will be hysterical pessimism on here until we win our first game. Then there will be hysterical optimism.

That's football, innit?

I'm still expecting a decent season, and mid table-ish finish. IF that happens, and we don't sell half the youngsters next summer, I think we can push for the playoffs next season. Should be fun whatever.

COYS

Have not given up on automatic promotion after only 2 games against teams expected to be near the top at the end of the season, however not having seen the team in action yet this season may be a reason for my optimism, plus reading on here encouraging reports of our style of play in those 2 games After 6-8 games I may have further optimism or a sense of impending doom.

To say we have given up assumes that you had hope in the first place.

Sadly, some people cannot see the bright side or positive in anything other than millions of pounds. Sad really, where's the enjoyment?

Me... I'm staying sensible about it. I don't expect promotion this season as the team is too new. I do expect and hope for progress, that's all.

Guest Hacienda
I don't expect promotion this season as the team is too new. I do expect and hope for progress, that's all.

Amen to that.

I am hoping for success this season, but for me success IS survival. I think getting promoted would be a bad thing for the club in its present state. Sunderland only just managed to stay up last year despite spending £30,000,000, if we went up I'd be surprised if we spent £10,000,000. We would without a doubt be relegated after an embarrassment of a season and a promising young team would be dismantled.

I think saints need to enjoy and play well over a couple of seasons in the championship before we can think of going up.

We know from every season in this league that it (unlike the Premiership) is totally competitive. Anyone can beat anyone.

There was so little between us and one of the favourites on Saturday despite many of our players playing only their second competitive game at this level.

When we first fell into this league, I posted that a QPR supporting mate of mine said there were two things teams cannot cope with in the Championship: PACE and WIDTH.

And nothing I have seen in three years has made me doubt this view.

Nor do I doubt the WGS strategy that "hard work will beat talent unless talent works hard". Nothing I have seen in three years contradicts this (save for an occssional stroke of fortune).

With these thoughts in mind, I haven't given up any hope of promotion at all.

If anything, I hope that our champagne football will shake up a few in this league and if nothing else we will have a season of building for a realistic assault on the league next year.

But why shouldn' t our players believe in themselves and their abilities?

They're young and genuinely capable of anything.

They have to believe that and disregard all else, particularly those whose sense of frustration and failure to accept the reality of our situation boils over into unfair, inaccurate and biased criticism.

I'll give up on promotion when it is mathematically impossible and not before.

I think that our young team badly need a result soon to keep confidence up.

IF we manage a few decent results, we must not sell any more promising young players in January.

The gap between playoff position and relegation in this division is pretty small.

So a little luck in the next few games, no selling in January and we might make the mid table hoping to sneak a play off place class.

Edited by WealdSaint