Southampton balloon festival

scott_saints

Any one know why they stopped doing it?? (And when did it stop?)

Just seen a petition to bring it back on facebook. Have to say, I totally forgot about it but remember some f00king cool balloons in the sky when they used to do it. Should definitely bring it back!

And some good beer tents too. We should have a festival of some sort, but not one involvong the local horticultural society, they took up too much room which should have gone to parking imo.

The Southampton flower and balloon festival was axed after rebranding failed to breathe new life into the event. Visitor numbers plummeted from 150,000 in its heyday to just 10,000.

They also received a barrage of complaints from some basket case apparently.

I bought a Guinea Pig at the balloon festival the year that Prince Andrew married Sarah Ferguson, I called it Fergie as it was ginger. I killed it by feeding it rhubarb leaves a few months later, no one told me that they were poisonous (sp) to animals. :(

• 12 years later...
3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

But 12 years on, I take it this never took off? I used to watch from my house on Laburnum Road as a nipper. Flying over daisy dip. 

Ah !, A fellow resident of the Flower Gardens. ( Though I left at the end of 1980 after getting married ).

Edited by badgerx16

50 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Ah !, A fellow resident of the Flower Gardens. ( Though I left at the end of 1980 after getting married ).

I moved there in 1980 and was there until 1988 when I moved to other parts of Southampton until 1996 when I started moving more and more north. Guildford, Cheltenham, Reading, (back to Southampton for 5 years), Royston and Carlisle. 

What road on the flower estate were you on? 

On 22/08/2021 at 21:24, Dr Who? said:

I moved there in 1980 and was there until 1988 when I moved to other parts of Southampton until 1996 when I started moving more and more north. Guildford, Cheltenham, Reading, (back to Southampton for 5 years), Royston and Carlisle. 

What road on the flower estate were you on? 

Was it you who used to make cheesecakes?

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Was it you who used to make cheesecakes?

Yes. I now own Cumbrian Cheesecake. Also the cafe off the back of this. We are just about to open our Vintage Tea over 3 levels in the city centre. So it’s going ok.