Derby v Saints - Post Match Reaction

exit2

From the Derby official site:

Adam Lallana netted the only goal of the game four minutes before the hour-mark to send Derby to a 1-0 defeat and take all three points back to the South Coast.

Up to the moment of his scrambled effort there hadn't been a great deal to choose between the two teams with both goalkeepers making fine saves.

Nacer Barazite added some spark after his half-time introduction but he couldn't fashion an equaliser as the Saints held on despite Derby enjoying plenty of possession.

What match were they watching!

Did anyone else arrive at St Pancras only to find out they had cancelled their trains to Derby for engineering works without giving any notice. Couldn't believe it, was so gutted. Had to go home and watch Gillette Soccer Saturday with the train and match tickets in hand. I'm still very annoyed about it.

The result and reports have cheered me up obviously but I am so dissappointed.

Did this happen to anyone else?

Have to say that I wouldn't have stood for that. I would have demanded the carrier convey me to Derby, and back, or to refund my train tickets and match tickets. You can't let them get away with it. Hope you have some proof of cancellation with no notice.

top result, and I can gloat to my annoying 'super rams' bro in law. more of the same please.

however, very irritating of some on here goading our own fans rather than simply being happy we won. saddos.

This all sounds great, especially from those who were there. It shows that we can play football, we can dominate and we can even defend.

Note of caution. We are still threadbare, we are still penniless and there is a week of the transfer window to go.

Been unable to post for the last 24 hours, I am away for the weekend with the kids.

Oustanding result, outstanding performance, sweet revenge at last.

A team is bigger than the sumof its parts. If JP can really give us a TEAM for the first time since the FA Cup Final, then maybe we are going places.

The only thing missng was the second and third goals to make it comfortable, but it seems Carroll played a blinder.

Well Done Saints

Well Done JP.

Let's follow this up by thumping Blackpool.

How come Saints only seem to have balls when Killer is playing ?

Ignore Derby threads and match reports etc....trust me..we were fantastic...absolutely amazing.

We were speaking to the derby fans after the game and i could not believe what was coming out of their mouths..it was like they were watching a totally different game saying we weren't taht good and it was just that they were worse....BULLLLL****. We were incredbile...the football we played was undefendable......we fluffed about 3-4 1 on 1's which were created from just moving the ball around quickly....the second half was just ridiculous and Derby couldn't even touch the ball.

Lee Holmes was butt ****ing defenders down the wing, as was Jamie White. Gillett was pretty much running the show and had savage in his back pocket and Schenieieirideielin was winning the ball all the time and breaking up play and again was fantastic.

We also hit the bar twice and had a spell of 4 corners in a row. They just couldn't touch us. That little nutmeg that gillett did on their defender was fantastic aswell and pretty much summed up the match for me. Big useless bastard versus small amazing dude who embarresses him on his home ground.

We defended well, there were a couple of edgy moments and Derby fluffed a good chance at the end of the first half but that is all they really had.

I had to laugh at a Derby forum thread yesterday which said that they couldn't believe that they didn't beat us...afterall....we are sh1t and sold all of our good players on top of almost being relegated last year....and that suits us fine if everyone has that opinion of us. Clearly opposing teams will think that way as they don't havea clue how we are playing now...and that all the big names that are gone..were ****ing sh1t and clearly the cause of half of our problems in the first place.

It is obvious from the first 3 games that we a re really trying to play some proper football...it won't work all the time but when it does it is fantastic to watch. We were unlucky up at cardiff.....our second half against birmingham was poor..but up until then we were very good to watch and yesterday it all came together.

If we had won 4-0 it probably would have reflected the performance better. Our finishing was not the best, on another day we could have quite easily grabbed more.

4 games, not one bad performance, two wins, good periods against Cardiff, most of Bham game played some of best football at St Marys for 4 years or so, reports on yesterdays really filling me with excitement.

Know was written off as happy clappy -but stand by my comments

-this team is better than this time last year

-there is no way we will be any where near a relegation scrap

Well I have been saying this is what we want - some young players who can run with and pass the ball. I was appalled last season with some of what i saw - old cloggers united. This season let's play football and see where we get - I think we will surprise a lot of people - including ourselves!

Been unable to post for the last 24 hours, I am away for the weekend with the kids.

Oustanding result, outstanding performance, sweet revenge at last.

A team is bigger than the sumof its parts. If JP can really give us a TEAM for the first time since the FA Cup Final, then maybe we are going places.

The only thing missng was the second and third goals to make it comfortable, but it seems Carroll played a blinder.

Well Done Saints

Well Done JP.

Let's follow this up by thumping Blackpool.

How come Saints only seem to have balls when Killer is playing ?

So do you REALLY know better than the people who have attended the games?

Just back from Derby...more of the same please.

Fantastic to watch if not a little nerve jangling - nothing unusual then.

At last a team that plays together, finds space for the pass, run for each other, looking for the ball, but what we need is a killer poacher in front of goal. We are nice to watch for once.

Even though I will not visit SMS whilst Rupes is at the helm...I am really looking forward to my next game up North.

Well done lads...a side to be proud of at last.

I find this incredible, talking so wonderfvully about the style of play and then still having a fault with the man who has set it up.

I understand you have principles but you must concede some of this excitement is down to RL.

Comment from a Derby supporter in today's Observer:

Q: Was it a good match?

Southampton played well and had plenty of chances to score. They played all the football and could have won by a more flattering scoreline. We had one or two chances, but were disappointing in front of goal. The manager has made loads of signings, but it's still a case of same old, same old.

Q: Who played well/had a nightmare?

Lee Holmes, who spent six years at Derby during his teenage years, returned to Pride Park and showed his quality. David McGoldrick ran our defence ragged.

No mention of any Derby players in his comments, which speaks volumes I reckon.

Sky and the Beeb are crediting McGoldrick with the goal. I'm not sure whether it's better for Lallana to be off the mark or for McGoaldrick to be on a scoring streak. Maybe this is the best of both worlds with both players claiming it?

McG isn't claimimg it. Lallana was interviewed on radio afterwards and stated that McG agreed it was Lallana's goal, but well done to McG for following up to make sure...

Sky and the Beeb are crediting McGoldrick with the goal. I'm not sure whether it's better for Lallana to be off the mark or for McGoaldrick to be on a scoring streak. Maybe this is the best of both worlds with both players claiming it?

According to Radio Hampshire's coverage, after the game McGoldrick was asked about ownership of the goal and he said it was Lallana's. So there is no competition for the goal in their minds. I think it still stands offically as McGoldrick's goal though.

60% possession

13 corners..:smt033

Come on Delldays you've stolen Wes Tender's role in reporting the possession stats or does he only feel able to do it when he can accompany it with snide remarks like he did against Cardiff. 21 shots yesterday I think I heard as well. Once we up our conversion rate somebody is going to get a tonking.

A great win and a great performance, not at the match myself but met up with a mate who did go and he never stopped going on about it for about a hour.

Not much from the TV and all the writeups seem to be talking about how poor Derby were which made us look good. Bit angry with that but when you havent won a game for 35 matches maybe there might be something in it.

Can't wait for tuesday!

Went to the match on the way back from holiday in Scotland. If anyone saw a C reg campervan with bikes all over it and a Saints shirt in the back window - that was us! Took the 3 kids and myself (we cycled from the Park & Ride) - left wife and eldest girl shopping in Derby.

What a delight to watch Saints play football in this manner. Youngsters, many home bred, playing football as it should be played. Lovely one touch passing, movement off the ball, committed in the tackle, fair, non-argumentative - totally professional approach. Lallana was fantastic, supported by the equally impressive Gillett and Holmes. Svennson was immense, Kelvin didn't put a foot wrong - great save from a one-on-one just before we scored. If only McGoldrick had more composure in front of goal, we would have been out of sight. My usual hero Surnam had one of his quiter games but he never hid and I hope we can hang on to him. Wotton came on as sub and held things together well in midfield and although it was nerve jangling towards the end, we really were comfortable winners.

Well done to the 1100 Saints fans who made the journey. It made up for that horrible defeat (we actually won 3-2 that night) to Derby in the paly offs.

top result, and I can gloat to my annoying 'super rams' bro in law. more of the same please.

however, very irritating of some on here goading our own fans rather than simply being happy we won. saddos.

In fairness, I've just got back from being away this weekend and I have to say the baiting/goading on this thread is much less prevalent than I expected.

However, as you say, there always a few saddos who really geuinely believe that those of us that dont share their unequivocal optimism must secretly want Saints to lose, and therefore think they are annoying us by the baiting and goading, when actually we are as happy as them.

Guest Hacienda
I find this incredible, talking so wonderfvully about the style of play and then still having a fault with the man who has set it up.

I understand you have principles but you must concede some of this excitement is down to RL.

Yes, it's down to his mismanagement leading us to the CCC.

Very pleased with the progress of the side as a unit and the continued development of the youngsters. Very happy how White slotted in as if he has been in the side for many games. Great result for the team the fans and much praise for JP.

More of the same to come. Looks as if Cork will be a very good addition to the side.

Well done Saints.

Sorry It's late.. busy few days.

My next away report at QPR will be available much sooner, as I'm buying my laptop next week and will be able to type up on the coach home!! :)

Derby County vs. Southampton

The game at Pride Park started at a fast pace and there was uncertainty in the Southampton box as Robbie Savage chased a miss-placed pass and closed in on goal, but Kelvin Davis was quick off his line to remove any danger. From this, Southampton broke with intent from the back and a long ball forward was misjudged by Claude Davis and Lee Holmes took advantage running at goal, C Davis recovered to outmuscle him off the ball, but David McGoldrick saw his shot blocked by Martin Albrechtsen – the summer signing from West Bromwich Albion.

Derby responded, but were equally wasteful from a decent position, when Paul Green found the lively Kris Commons out wide, who cut in and shot woefully wide. Holmes and Surman linked up well down the left hand side, but Surman couldn’t pick out a striker in the box – something of a hindrance with playing one striker up front.

Again, Derby pushed for an early goal; as they desperately searched for a first league win in almost a year. Mears galloped forward from right back and pulled back for Commons who shot at goal, only to see it blocked by his own player Green and then deflected wide, whilst Michael Svensson dominantly headed the resulting corner clear.

The Saints were starting to take control of the game, as they dominated particularly in midfield, carving out two great one on one opportunities, which Roy Carroll in goal was equal to. First Jamie White, who was making his league debut for the club, capitalised on a Jay McEveley slip and played a neat ball in for ex Derby man Holmes, but he saw his lofted effort smothered by the Derby Number one, who again kept his side in the game when David McGoldrick fluffed an equally good opportunity minutes later.

Once More, Derby pressed for a goal, with Green crossing for Hulse who saw his diving header go wide and the game was delayed for a few minutes as Simon Gillet, who was everywhere, clashed heads with Hulse as he challenged bravely for the ball and the home side could have scored when Green saw his goal bound attempt blocked well by Lloyd James.

Robbie Savage shot just over after he received a pass from Commons, before Saints’ new ‘total football system’ under coach Jan Poortvliet started to become more apparent, as Morgan Schneiderlin and Simon Gillett consistently broke up play in the middle of the park and sprayed the ball around to the wings, to set them on their way, in what appeared to be excellent link up play.

Subsequently, McGoldrick smartly played in Lallana who missed saints’ third one on one opportunity, before Jamie White skipped down the right hand side and weaved his way past three players, before crossing low, which was cleared.

As the half drew to a close, Derby could have snatched a possible underserved lead, when Emanuel Villa got great connection with his header from Commons’ corner, but Kelvin Davis pulled off a magnificent one handed save as the ball looked destined for the net.

The goals weren’t there for Southampton, as the score board still read 0-0, but the play was a pleasant surprise to the away fans, who were eagerly waiting to see if Saints could continue to play the flowing football they had hinted at towards the end of the first half.

Half Time: Derby County 0-0 Southampton

Things weren’t to get much better for Derby, as Southampton continued with their great passing game and managed to play even better in the second half.

First, White made a great run and found McGoldrick who then laid off for Holmes, but he placed his shot just inches wide, before Lallana played in James who cut inside and teed up McGoldrick to shot over. Next Lallana curled a shot of his own just wide, as the onslaught continued, but the goal was to come...

Commons broke clear of Surman and bore down on goal, only to see his shot well saved by the legs of Davis and as the rebound bobbled clear, The Saints showed off their ‘total football’ at its best – James made a crunching tackle to win the loose ball and Gillett passed to his fellow defensive midfield anchorman Schneiderlin, who fizzed a ball out wide to Holmes, who in turn set Jamie White clear on the right, he crossed first time for Lallana who saw his volley saved by Carroll, but he hooked the rebound towards goal and it hit the underside of the bar and bounced back out – it appeared to cross the line, but McGoldrick made sure by following up with an easy header into the empty net... who scored you decide.

Derby offered little in return, as they failed to cope with Southampton’s supreme passing style and the ‘boo’s’ started to ring out around the stadium – music to most Southampton fans’ ears – well mine at least.

The away side could have further extended the lead, when McGoldrick had two headed chances – first heading against the bar from Gillett’s cross and then seeing his goal bound effort tipped over the bar by Carroll.

The Saints closed out the game with a fine display of ‘keep ball’ and the final whistle ensured a first league away win since December and in some style too.

Full Time: Derby County 0-1 Southampton

Summary

A really good result for Saints and an even better performance made this day a very satisfying one for me and the other away fans who made the journey – possibly fearing a defeat – especially as Derby hadn’t won a league game for so long.

The goal was much deserved and although first accredited to McGoldrick, has been confirmed by the players involved as Lallana’s, but who scored didn’t matter as every Southampton player could walk away with their heads held high, as they all put in a great shift.

In defence, we were solid, Davis making two fine saves in goal; centre backs Svensson and Perry keeping solid throughout and full backs James and Surman linking up really well with the wingers White and Holmes. Up front, McGoldrick showed great effort and should have come away with couple of goals, but in the centre of midfield was where we were most dominant with Schneiderlin and Gillett breaking up play and linking up well with Lallana – it would be very hard to pick one man of the match for The Saints, but I’d give it to the midfield, as it was great to see such elegant passing for the full 90 minutes and refreshing to see so much effort from young players who want to play for Southampton FC.

As for Derby, they were poor and confidence was low and we took advantage of this. It was evident for most of the game that they couldn’t get to grips with the style of play Southampton chose to play and experienced players like Robbie Savage and Jay Mceverely were made to look very suspect.

I feel they have a decent enough squad, but they need to work harder. One thing that puzzles me is manager Paul Jewell’s decisions to berate his players at every opportunity – this can’t help the players’ confidence... maybe Jewell should look at where the players are going wrong and what they could improve on, rather than slating them to the press.

Positives for Derby were that Roy Carroll made some great saves and Kris Commons and Paul Green both looked pretty lively and is this something they can build around perhaps. I think Derby could improve if they replaced Savage with a younger hungrier player and McEveley at full back with a player who is more solid in a defensively. Whilst for Saints, I just hope we can continue with our style of play and our refreshing will to win under manager Jan Poortvliet.

By Richard Miles ©

My view of the game

derby2cp1.jpg

Scoreboard... Derby County 0-1 Southampton

derby1bg2.jpg

Fans sing at final whistle

derby3ld1.jpg

i found this quote in their "official, let's all laugh at Derby thread"..(which was started be a Sheff UTD fan)

i did chuckle.........:smt036

Posted by nick_sufc11 on 23 Aug 2008 21:34 Complain | Thread closed re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: re: ***THE OFFICIAL - ...Beaten by a team of toddlers sm-grin.gif

Edited by saint boggy