Derby v Saints - Post Match Reaction

exit2

Top draw performance today, sounds as though we played Derby off the park for the majority of the game.

This result will do wonders for the confidence too, lets hope we can take this through to the Blackpool game.

Makes it even better that we've added to the negative hype surrounding Derby. I think we owed them that one after the playoff defeat.

Get in! COYR!

& Master Bates:mrgreen:
I hadnt thought of him... boy that may be almost impossible.Next time then!!

I got my list from looking who was on line and on the post match report and so tried to get as many in as possible.Not a bad return.

Delighted with the points, didn't think we'd get them today. Although I wasn't there today, we deserve something for the way we've been playing in the first few games. The squad clearly has a lot of potential and plays the right way. JP seems to be able to get them playing together, and it's good having a solid core to the team that picks itself for once.

They will only improve with time. We'll probably get a few disappointments along the way, but overall, despite the lack of money, I think we'll have a very good season on the field. Surprised more people haven't been optimistic from the start. Most who watched the friendlies certainly were anyway.

Poor old Derby eh. They must be thinking about sacking him now.

Expressions about borrowed time certainly spring to mind...

Just back - thansk to living in the Midlands. The difference today is that unlike Cardiff and Birmingham were we started brilliantly and blew ourselves out, this time we played within ourselves for the first half and then blew Derby away in the second half. 3 or 4 nil would not have flattered us, and we could have had those goals with betting finishing. Davis didn't have much to do but made a blinding save just before half-time.

Lallana was very good. Star of the show though was Schneirderlin who was awesome. all though, we worked together as a team. If we keep this up we'll be ok.

Just back from match. Great win. Could have conceded 2 or 3 goals in the first half - and scored 2 or 3 ourselves - including 3 nicely created one-on-ones. Surman leaking at our end. Second half, they got worse. We could have scored several times before one went in. We then played lovely football, especially up the right. Cork looked good at RB; he doesn't look big enough for a Championship CB to me. We fluffed a number of chances to go 2 up. All the time, expecting them to get one back. Eventually time ran out. Sch'lin imperious in the second half; L'a and McG clever inter-play; James useful coming forward; G'tt indefatigable. Great win.

Last league win was 17th September 2007. Ye gods of football, please hear our prayers.

Ooh, that's not so far away, is it? Sadly though, I reckon the Derby board will be fully aware of this, and will sack Jewell before that fateful day comes around. Damn shame. On the bright side though, the team could still fail to win even then - unless they do something truly dramatic by way of a managerial appointment.

A fabulous sideshow as our own results improve.

Having listened in and now considered, the difference between Saints of today and Saints of a year ago can be heard in the commentary, and it has nothing to do with Will Cope's bias for Saints. Last season I was able to go to several games but all I saw were players using plenty of energy with no idea, no cohesion, no movement and no structure. And it sounded like it when I used to listen in at other times too. Other people would say there was no passion. Not true, there was plenty, but it was all undirected or misdirected. They simply hadn't a clue what to do at times. I used to cry out for some movement from the players, but all they did was hide. No wonder Viafara used to get annoyed with his teammates. He couldn't find them with an easy pass, let alone one which would have to get through several defenders first.

This season, from the word GO, there has been a change. The passing and movement has been crisp and fast, and sometimes Will can't Cope. And David Armstrong doesn't lie. The fast passing he's pointing out to listeners is obviously delighting him so much, and he's said several times that it's been a pleasure to watch the youngsters even when they've lost.

I'll look forward to seeing the highlights on Saints TV later. Hope to get down to St Marys a few times myself as well.

Just got back - sensational performance today. So good to watch. The only disappointment was the finishing is not yet sharpe enough as we deserved to win by 4 or 5 but that will come. All the players did really well.

Great support from our fans as well just need to get more people to games as these kids play great football which is a joy to watch.

Also last 20 minutes we were not holding on we were all over them. Havent seen such a comfortable 1 - 0 win in a long time.

Just back - thansk to living in the Midlands. The difference today is that unlike Cardiff and Birmingham were we started brilliantly and blew ourselves out, this time we played within ourselves for the first half and then blew Derby away in the second half. 3 or 4 nil would not have flattered us, and we could have had those goals with betting finishing. Davis didn't have much to do but made a blinding save just before half-time.

Lallana was very good. Star of the show though was Schneirderlin who was awesome. all though, we worked together as a team. If we keep this up we'll be ok.

That to me is the key in this league. Weather the storm in the first 20 minutes and get a good idea what they have to offer and impose our football when they start to tire. I just don't believe it is effective to go at it flat out from the very beginning, happy days.

Having listened in and now considered, the difference between Saints of today and Saints of a year ago can be heard in the commentary, and it has nothing to do with Will Cope's bias for Saints. Last season I was able to go to several games but all I saw were players using plenty of energy with no idea, no cohesion, no movement and no structure. And it sounded like it when I used to listen in at other times too. Other people would say there was no passion. Not true, there was plenty, but it was all undirected or misdirected. They simply hadn't a clue what to do at times. I used to cry out for some movement from the players, but all they did was hide. No wonder Viafara used to get annoyed with his teammates. He couldn't find them with an easy pass, let alone one which would have to get through several defenders first.

This season, from the word GO, there has been a change. The passing and movement has been crisp and fast, and sometimes Will can't Cope. And David Armstrong doesn't lie. The fast passing he's pointing out to listeners is obviously delighting him so much, and he's said several times that it's been a pleasure to watch the youngsters even when they've lost.

I'll look forward to seeing the highlights on Saints TV later. Hope to get down to St Marys a few times myself as well.

Please forward to the Scotland manager.

Just got in, great game, loads of fun.

Derby were poor but I cannot remember the last time I saw us play so well.

Each player was good today but Schneiderlin (sp?) and Lallana stuck out for me.

All the jerks who moaned about Kelvin Davis the other week should be eating their words tonight, he made a cracking save just before half time to keep the score at 0-0.

Saints fans were in good voice too, well done boys!

Spot on, absolutely spot on.

To me, this year (in every game I have seen) we look a 'unit'.

Last year we looked like strangers.

Not helped last season by the selection scrabble Burley played every week...

What a shot in the arm that was; I must take my share of the credit as I decided not to listen today after the bad luck I brought us by listening to the Cardiff match.

Maybe this forum will be slightly more bearable for at least a few days now, until the doom and gloom merchants find something else to be depressed about...

Who's up for getting in touch with this fine fellow?! :-)

Assume you will be selling out for Saturday, yes? Glad this game came up early in the season, as Jewell deserves a first win...and we all know that you are a soft touch when you play us!!!!

Dont have to worry this year about facing Moore and Howard, so your softies wont get any bruises to moan about. Your only worry will be chasing our shadows.

Krissy Commons hatrick. 3-0 to the Rams.

Promise not to go on the pitch and celebrate (as dont want to upset you again)...even though its been nearly a year since we won a league game.

C U Saturday

What a shot in the arm that was; I must take my share of the credit as I decided not to listen today after the bad luck I brought us by listening to the Cardiff match.

I took myself on a 14 mile hike up and down a bloody great lump of rock in the Lake District, determined to avoid all mention of footy. Got back to the car at exactly 5 o'clock - sports report on 5 Live. Got some funny looks cheering the result.

Now we need to reverse the Brum result and then I can hope to gloat over all the Tangerines' fans at work after the Blackpool game.

Feeling much more positive, but it is a long season, and the squad is still a little threadbare in places. ( Sorry, is that too negative this evening ? )

I took myself on a 14 mile hike up and down a bloody great lump of rock in the Lake District, determined to avoid all mention of footy.

Ha ha! I did the same in the Peak district. Wish I had gone the extra few miles to Derby now.

Just back from Derby...more of the same please.

Fantastic to watch if not a little nerve jangling - nothing unusual then.

At last a team that plays together, finds space for the pass, run for each other, looking for the ball, but what we need is a killer poacher in front of goal. We are nice to watch for once.

Even though I will not visit SMS whilst Rupes is at the helm...I am really looking forward to my next game up North.

Well done lads...a side to be proud of at last.

Just back after a day out with the family and delighted by the result. I am so pleased for the team who have had to bear the label 'kids' from the press, media and fans. No, they have proved they are men and deserve their win today after creditable performances against the taffs and brum.

Just as one swallow does not make a summer so one win does not make a season but I am also so please the misserable b*st*rds who were posting doom and gloom on the post-match comments thread even before kick-off have been put truly in their place.

This team is going to surprise a lot of people this year and all we need now is to see the back of the remaining losers from last year who some on here seem to worship and may be, just may be, we can be proud of our team again. Just think, eleven or more guys who are desperate to wear the red and white stripes and give it all they've got - a long time since I saw that. Takes me back to the sixties and seventies!

COYR

Just back from Derby and I sh!t you not..probably one of the best performances I have ever seen from a saints team..we were ****ing unbelievable and compeltely played them off the park..the passing and movement, especially in the second half, was gobsmacking. The amount of times we carved Derby open with quick passing and fantastic movement was countless.....if we get more ruthless in front of goal we will absolutely spank some teams.

:supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz::supz:

Davis - Some crucial saves to keep us in it at 0-0, one key save just before we scored which would have changed the game if it had gone in. 7/10

James - I'm still not convinced he's a long term answer at right back but he had a decent game defensively just didn't add offer much going forward. 7/10

Svensson - Superb again, far too good for this division. I really hope he can stay fit. 8/10

Perry - Starting to build a good partnership with Svensson and seems great business getting him in on a free. 7/10

Surman - Probably the weak link for me, he was rushed in possession and occasionally made a poor pass although at time he linked up well with Holmes. 5/10

Schneiderlin - Superb, the lad's class. He wasn't rushed in possession and excelled when he moved into a more attacking midfield role. I really think we have a special player on our hands here, if he stays around long enough he will become a legend for us. 9/10

Gillett - I really don't understand how he was left in the reserves all last season he is so much better than Viafara, Wright, Euell and all the other crap we played in the middle of the park last season. He bossed the midfield and Savage was nowhere to be seen. For a little lad he really gets stuck in and has tremendous energy, he didn't stop running all day. 10/10

Lallana - It's criminal that he wasn't involved more last season. He played all over the midfield and he hardly lost the ball. He will go on to good things in the future as well. 10/10 MOTM

Holmes - Worked tirelessly for the team and put himself about. Showed Derby how stupid they where to release him on a free, totally outclassed any of the Derby attacking midfielders. 8/10

McGoldrick - Very unlucky not to score he hit the cross bar twice and had a couple of shots go over the bar. His build up play was great as well, plenty of fighting to hold up the ball and some good skill to bring the wingers into the game. He should have scored in the first half though when Gillett played him through. 8/10

White - Looks really good, some of our best football was down the right, the Derby left back was getting dragged all over the place and White put in some great work. 7/10

Subs:

Cork - Looked great down the right, didn't have much work to do defensively but his attacking play and linking up with Lallana on the right was great. I'd like to see him start at right back against Blackpool. 7/10

Wotton - Shored up the midfield a bit and made some really good late runs. 7/10

John - Didn't really have much to do but there was a fair bit of running and chasing.

I'm not even exaggerating the scores, we where brilliant. Even in the 90th minute we where still pressing and looking for another goal where previously we would have had 10 men in the boxing hoofing it clear from the 80th minute. We totally outclassed a poor Derby side and where very unlucky not to score more goals.

Did anyone else arrive at St Pancras only to find out they had cancelled their trains to Derby for engineering works without giving any notice. Couldn't believe it, was so gutted. Had to go home and watch Gillette Soccer Saturday with the train and match tickets in hand. I'm still very annoyed about it.

The result and reports have cheered me up obviously but I am so dissappointed.

Did this happen to anyone else?