Greatest 'Goal that Never Was'

Arizona

Can you think of any moments where Saints came so close to scoring, or it was disallowed, but you would have gone mental if they had scored.

For me a few that stick out are:

Danny Higginbotham's overhead kick against the Skates, which was disallowed for offside because Chalkias had gone running out to the halfway line.

Niemi hitting the bar with that volley at Fulham.

Beattie having one disallowed for offside in the cup final, then having an injury time header cleared off the line.

Skacel putting an effort over the bar in the playoff semi, about 30s after Rasiak had scored.

Shipperley at Old Trafford in the FA Cup Quater Final (I think) we were more than a match for them and shipps had the ball over the line but it was never given.....it would have put us 1-0....

we lost in the end i think to a Cantona goal if I remember rightly...

I was there too.

also, Kevin Phillips hitting the inside of the post at Fratton when they beat us 1-0...SHOULD he have been 3 inches more accurate im sure they would have been gutted and not gone on to that amazing run they di to the end of the season to stay up...I think I would have lost all bodily functions should that have gone in...

Can you think of any moments where Saints came so close to scoring, or it was disallowed, but you would have gone mental if they had scored.

Danny Higginbotham's overhead kick against the Skates, which was disallowed for offside because Chalkias had gone running out to the halfway line.

Beattie having one disallowed for offside in the cup final, then having an injury time header cleared off the line.

Skacel putting an effort over the bar in the playoff semi, about 30s after Rasiak had scored.

I often recall that one,i believe it was Ashley Cole who got the clearance,

I had a great view of it,and truly started to celebrate as it winged it's way towards the net.

FA Cup Final 2003

"Seaman had not been troubled, but he demonstrated his quality eight minutes from time to deny Southampton an equaliser.

Brett Ormerod's powerful drive was destined for the top corner until Seaman flung out a hand to divert his shot to safety."

Now if that one had gone in

And

"And Ashley Cole came to Arsenal's rescue five minutes into injury-time when he smuggled James Beattie's header off the line." in the same match

FA Cup Final 2003

"Seaman had not been troubled, but he demonstrated his quality eight minutes from time to deny Southampton an equaliser.

Brett Ormerod's powerful drive was destined for the top corner until Seaman flung out a hand to divert his shot to safety."

Now if that one had gone in

And

"And Ashley Cole came to Arsenal's rescue five minutes into injury-time when he smuggled James Beattie's header off the line." in the same match

Love that - "smuggled"! Must remember to use that in any football conversations that I have.:)

Tranmere at The Dell in the FA Cup run of the 00/01 season. Bridgey floated in an injury time free-kick that appeared to sail straight into the far corner of the net and the whole of the Archers went nuts as we thought we'd won,only for it to be disallowed for a foul on the keeper by someone. So,onto the replay,and well........

Kevein Phillips at Fratton in the last minute. Would have been amazing if that went in.

Rudi against Derby in the play offs. About a minute after Rasiak had scored, he was put through. He tried to curl it into the corner with his right foot and hit it right at the keeper. Had it been on his left I think he would have scored and sent 5000 Saints fans into the biggest celebration you'll ever see!

Kevein Phillips at Fratton in the last minute. Would have been amazing if that went in.

Rudi against Derby in the play offs. About a minute after Rasiak had scored, he was put through. He tried to curl it into the corner with his right foot and hit it right at the keeper. Had it been on his left I think he would have scored and sent 5000 Saints fans into the biggest celebration you'll ever see!

What annoyed me most about that after watching the replay was that Leon Best was running through to the right of Rudi completley unmarked and onside,would have been left with a simple one on one if Rudi passed to him.

I remember Jason Dodd whacking the ball in from about 30 yards in a game in the mid 90s that was disallowed because Iain Dowie was in an offside position. I can't remember who it was against but I'm sure we lost by the odd goal. The goal would never have been disallowed with the current interpretation of the offside rules.

Keegans scissor kick against Manu at the Dell

Thats the one for me too, would have easily have won goal of the season if allowed.

ladysaint showing your age there, but being an old git myself I gotta agree with you and nickh, this without doubt is the best goal that never was.

keegan overhead kick, i think vrs manure, i feel old

The KK goal shows that the offside rules are so much better nowadays.

Actually, I've always believed that [and here's one from the memory banks] Arthur Albiston, at LB, was in line and therefore playing David Armstrong onside. Look at the video; he's [No.3] there standing on the 6 yard line.

Even back then, you just knew if the roles had been reversed, Man U would have been allowed the goal. They were very much the ex-Busby Babes, darlings of English football, even though they won very little.

Actually, I've always believed that [and here's one from the memory banks] Arthur Albiston, at LB, was in line and therefore playing David Armstrong onside. Look at the video; he's [No.3] there standing on the 6 yard line.

Even back then, you just knew if the roles had been reversed, Man U would have been allowed the goal. They were very much the ex-Busby Babes, darlings of English football, even though they won very little.

It looks very close and looking at it only an anal jobsworth linesman or non lover of the game would have disallowed it. I remember a Liverpool goal around the same time, Kenny Dalgleish scored with an injured Phil Neal on the floor in an offside position. The goal was given and a debate raged for days over whether it should have been given or not. Madness when you look back, there must have been loads or good goals disallowed for another player being an inch in front of the defence but miles from interferring with the play.