Pulis or Gasmi?

There when Franny scored

Maybe this is why Saints seem to be stalling the deal for Pulis for ages. We were already supposed to conclude the deal the next day more then a week ago. I doubt that we'll get another midfielder if we're getting Gasmi, that is one of the areas where were not exactly lacking cover with Euell and Skacel still around.

Gasmi sounds more of a Lowe signing as well. He seemed to be one keen to sign Schneiderlin and I got the impression he was the one most interested in trying to sign Mido a few years ago as well as Adebayor (until the wages & permit problems kicked in).

Poortvliet had watched Schneiderlin play a few times before he came here. He said so himself.

Gasmi sounds more of a Lowe signing as well. He seemed to be one keen to sign Schneiderlin and I got the impression he was the one most interested in trying to sign Mido a few years ago as well as Adebayor (until the wages & permit problems kicked in).

I thought he wouldn't sign Adebayor because he didn't like his attitude? He also refused to shell out £3m for Drogba and £5m for Roskicy IIRC.

I thought he wouldn't sign Adebayor because he didn't like his attitude? He also refused to shell out £3m for Drogba and £5m for Roskicy IIRC.

The Adebayor thing was strange, Strachan claimed wages were a stumbling block and at the time we were told it was permit problems. It was felt that Drogba wouldn't work well as a striking partnership with Beattie and Rosicky was just too expensive.

I wasn't trying to start up the whole Lowe identifies/buys the players debate. Just saying that Gasmi fits the profile of the kind of player Lowe likes to bring in (with the consent of the manager). He's cheap and young for a start.

Strachan didnt like his attitude.WGS also stated we enquired about Rosicky but were put off by the £12 m price tag.

Nothing like letting fact get in the way of another Lowe bashing. This one has been done to death, but throw in some big name players and people always believe what they want.

Strachan has said some of the price tags were too high, and I believe it was he who wasn't that impressed with Adebayors attitude...unsurprising really, given that he's a ****. I believe he wouldn't have got a work permit anyway. I've never heard any manager say they wanted a player and Lowe refused on any grounds except lack of funds. Nor have I heard any confirm he bought a player without their say so. He might have recommended some or had his favourites, but everybody does. Strachan said Lowe was always a fan of Crouch, but he didn't agree so they never went for him. Not like he forced him. I imagine he put the idea to Sturrock and he went for it.

Yeah he's really got a kicking in this thread hasn't he? I don't think anyone's accused him of anything really so don't get worked up eh?

Strachan didnt like his attitude.WGS also stated we enquired about Rosicky but were put off by the £12 m price tag.

Pretty sure we were refused a work permit for Adebayor, something stupid like he had only played in 70% of international games rather than 75%. Either way it doesn't really matter.

He refused to shell out £3m plus £15,000pw for an unproven 17 year old Drogba who was ambivalent about joining Saints. Sensible move IMO.

I think that some of the stick Lowe is getting on this thread is a bit unfair - w/p ruled out Adebayor and WGS has said his attitude wasn't ideal even then. However, let's at least get the facts right, Drogba was not a unproven 17 year old, he was in his mid-20s and scoring goals in France, hence he went to Marseille. Why he didn't join us I have no idea - could have been Rupert but maybe WGS wanted Phillips more (bad error of judgement if so) or maybe the agent was trouble and got a bigger slice of the action from Drogba joining Marseille? It certainly benefited the player you would have to say!

Yep, and then the “I know best/over-ruling medical staff” with Delgado but it’s old, worn out, news (won’t get Um started although he’s now gone remarkably quiet and probably had enough of the infiltrated forum plants). Being realistic (I know that’s a scary world to many on here) - We’d not be in the league and situation we are currently in IF our board and chairman had some brains and ambition for the club previously and didn’t just “Make do” as Saints always had (and used the club as an ego and business playground). Inspirational…….NOT! Let’s just survive, put no money in, not care about the FOOTBALL, sell our best stars/up and coming youth, turn down potential gems due to having to pay more than a pittance and we’ll survive…….survived before, we’ll be complacent, it won’t affect Saints – we are a small club, we have to sell everyone, we’ve been in the top flight for……..OH SH*T! We’re relegated! Still, that’s history now.

Nice to hear Jan now aim higher and give us a target and motivation, if they’re not hollow words. We’ve always been a club of mediocrity and we need big leadership (not Lowe and Wilde I may add) and big characters and leaders to change things, and an appetite for success and ambition. We’re playing better football now and I hope we can sustain results.

I’m mildly concerned about transfer policy (but not overly as we have NO MONEY). Relevant but done to death (i.e. Lowe signing players). These are the problems we WILL encounter with Lowe and Poortvliet, Wotte and Hockaday as ‘yes men’ but there’s not a lot we, as fans, can do about that (and we knew this would happen). I’m sure some of the PR plants will come up with some “flat cap” nonsense but the more astute posters would be wise to keep on topic and totally ignore the inflammatory baiting. We have to swallow and take what we’re given. Sadly, many fans have chosen enough is enough after 5 years of constant bad news and battling in the boardroom, resulting in the unpopular duo of Lowe and Wilde returning and all of our remaining professionals of any worth sold. You couldn’t have written it any worse but the football is our true shared passion and, maybe, if we perform well and produce “GOOD FOOTBALL” then hopefully fans will come back (again, I understand if they chose principles seeing as some feel the duo have come back for ulterior motives, I’m avoiding political talk as it’s boring). Let’s have no sl*gging off of the stay away fans though (seeing as many that post probably criticise from their pc but don’t attend themselves) as they do have reason. I don’t deplore that as they’ve every right to have their principles and stay away. Yes, it hits the club coffers but, from the historical actions of the guardians/boards of our club, they’d be massive hypocrites to chastise those very fans after what they’ve been served from the self-serving ambassadors that purported to caring about our club.

OOPS! WENT OFF ON ONE THEN! Apolgies.

I’d definitely like to see another player, I’d have preferred a left back or versatile left footed/centre back defender but seems not to be happening. Another midfielder, an attacking back up for Lallana (as Euell seems out of favour and is pretty dire imho) or a Berkovic style player would be ideal but in an ideal world………….

Looking forward to Saturday – quite a lot! These are the teams we SHOULD pick up points against (and failed drastically under that imbecile Burley!)

COYS

Can someone clear something up for me? On here i have read that Gasmi has broken his fifth metatarsal but I have just read on the stoke site that Pulis Jnr has broken his fifth metatarsal. Is this some sort of freak coincidence or have i misunderstood somewhere?

Can someone clear something up for me? On here i have read that Gasmi has broken his fifth metatarsal but I have just read on the stoke site that Pulis Jnr has broken his fifth metatarsal. Is this some sort of freak coincidence or have i misunderstood somewhere?

Every time a player comes here for negotiations, Lowe stamps on their foot thus reducing their transfer/wage value. You need every trick in the book in our financial position!

Gamsi, for me. I think that Lowe had the best plan: we can't afford the best players in the world so we will make them. Unfortunatly us losing our premiership status has forced our hand in selling our best crop (I think Walcott would have gone by now anyway). However, his plan is coming through now and we are functioning on our youth team, with a shoe string budget. I would like to think that we will get promoted and when big clubs come in for our first team, many who have had come form our academy would be loyal enough to stay at our club and repay the investment we have made in them. This may seem like utter bull-poop, but look at Bourgh 2 of their best players Downing and Wheater are loyal to the club, both turning down chances to sign for Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. PLease tell me if I'm chatting sweaty ********.

Gamsi, for me. I think that Lowe had the best plan: we can't afford the best players in the world so we will make them. Unfortunatly us losing our premiership status has forced our hand in selling our best crop (I think Walcott would have gone by now anyway). However, his plan is coming through now and we are functioning on our youth team, with a shoe string budget. I would like to think that we will get promoted and when big clubs come in for our first team, many who have had come form our academy would be loyal enough to stay at our club and repay the investment we have made in them. This may seem like utter bull-poop, but look at Bourgh 2 of their best players Downing and Wheater are loyal to the club, both turning down chances to sign for Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. PLease tell me if I'm chatting sweaty ********.

You are chatting sweaty ********.

I would like to think that we will get promoted and when big clubs come in for our first team, many who have had come form our academy would be loyal enough to stay at our club and repay the investment we have made in them. This may seem like utter bull-poop, but look at Bourgh 2 of their best players Downing and Wheater are loyal to the club, both turning down chances to sign for Arsenal and Liverpool respectively. PLease tell me if I'm chatting sweaty ********.

Some will always want to move on for more money or more glamour - but some of the good ones will want to stay - especially if Southampton is their hometown.

I'll always remember MLT saying in an interview (when criticised for not seeking a big money move). "All my friends and family are here. I earn £10,000pw, I have a 4 bedroom house two cars and if I retire at 30 I'll never have to work again. Why would I want to move?"

The difference between £500pw and £5,000pw is immense. After that its all a bit irrelevant and quality of life is more important.

Yep, and then the “I know best/over-ruling medical staff” with Delgado but it’s old, worn out, news (won’t get Um started although he’s now gone remarkably quiet and probably had enough of the infiltrated forum plants). Being realistic (I know that’s a scary world to many on here) - We’d not be in the league and situation we are currently in IF our board and chairman had some brains and ambition for the club previously and didn’t just “Make do” as Saints always had (and used the club as an ego and business playground).

I do feel the obsession by the more vociferous Anti-Lowe posters about 'plants' is verging on paranoia. However, that all lies in the ashes of the TSF server - this new home seems far more refined (perhaps the Anti-Lowe focus of Um Pahars et. al. is fading when we've got good football and results to talk about). Or perhaps he's on holiday!

Long may it continue (the positivity, not Um's holiday).

I don't dispute that Lowe's PR company got rumbled posting a few messages years ago but to assume that people who disagree with you are stooges is disrespectful and not a little arrogant. The genius of the original Lowe-Out campaign was that Keith Legg et al did Mike Wilde's PR for free!

It is also ironic that the leadership you damn is the one that brought the current coaching set up to the club, the one that is delivering the good football we ALL (regardless of persuasion) should appreciate.

And that is the bottom line. Who cares? I've seen better football, from more commited players in the last 3 games, than I have in the last 3 years.

If Lowe is responsible for that then well done him - perhaps it will go someway to making up for relegation, if not, who cares. I'd go anyway!

He refused to shell out £3m plus £15,000pw for an unproven 17 year old Drogba who was ambivalent about joining Saints. Sensible move IMO.

You sure he was 17? Drogba didn't even sign pro until he was 21. He was still in the Ivory Coast at 17 and only went to France at 19 according to his wiki.,

I do feel the obsession by the more vociferous Anti-Lowe posters about 'plants' is verging on paranoia. However, that all lies in the ashes of the TSF server - this new home seems far more refined (perhaps the Anti-Lowe focus of Um Pahars et. al. is fading when we've got good football and results to talk about). Or perhaps he's on holiday!

Long may it continue (the positivity, not Um's holiday).

I don't dispute that Lowe's PR company got rumbled posting a few messages years ago but to assume that people who disagree with you are stooges is disrespectful and not a little arrogant. The genius of the original Lowe-Out campaign was that Keith Legg et al did Mike Wilde's PR for free!

It is also ironic that the leadership you damn is the one that brought the current coaching set up to the club, the one that is delivering the good football we ALL (regardless of persuasion) should appreciate.

And that is the bottom line. Who cares? I've seen better football, from more commited players in the last 3 games, than I have in the last 3 years.

If Lowe is responsible for that then well done him - perhaps it will go someway to making up for relegation, if not, who cares. I'd go anyway!

Firstly, I’m a Saints fan, not an anti-Lowe poster (but you can give me that label if it makes you feel better, sat up on your perch). Vociferous – Well, I do go off on a tangent, and in excess length, at times so I can live with that. Part of may make up as a person. Regarding Lowe - I just don’t like nor trust the bloke, nor Wilde. I think I, amongst others, have more than enough reason, reflecting on track records and using my adult skills of reasoned deduction. Not much irony in our current success of a couple of wins – it’s a long slog but I’m as happy as any if we do well and I like our new found passing movement and optimism (I’m happiest against knocking out Brum after initially losing – that says a lot about a manager and the team’s character imho). Overall, comparing our play to the totally unacceptable tenure of that drunken imbecile, Burley, is foolish. That was totally unacceptable and I never let my personal expectations for our club slip as so many did. Maybe I have higher standards but wanting "reasonable football" isn't that much to ask. Agreed - it's been absent since we were relegated. However, regardless of what happens at SFC - It won’t change my views but Rupert or Michael Wilde. I still don’t trust them but that is football politics. Boring. My dislike is, of course, my choice, my opinion. Simple really.

As for verging on paranoia about PR plants, it’s a thin line at times and I certainly read, digest and read again (between the lines, not just the nice comments) and there is certainly a suspect element to TSF. If you chose to label that paranoia, then that’s your misguided view. There are idiots, there are clever people, there are bulk standard fans, there are die hard fans, there are arm-chair fans and there are wind up merchants (like that odd Scooby character people seem to delight in dignifying with a response – suppose it does entertain on occasions) but there are certainly some people with a surreptitious agenda and there is a reason for that. Maybe you can’t see that or chose not to, or it’s easier to criticise me while you sit on your fence. Regardless, it doesn’t REALLY matter.

In fairness Alain, from most of your replies in the past, you’ve disagreed with my opinion. That’s fine. Your choice. Feel free to oppose my opinion or challenge away. It is a football forum. . If you don’t like the strong words I utter against the board or management (from our rapturous levels of success), then you’re welcome to continue your mildly patronising histrionics! Makes me chuckle you talk about arrogance though, considering your French moniker and the content of your reply.

Overall, I’m enjoying the football but I’m not about to start blowing Lowe’s trumpet. I’ll leave that to Scooby, Sundance, Buctootim, Nick, your good self and the others ‘Lowe types’ that are happy to forgive and forget (it’s funny though and not me being contentious or avidly anti-Lowe but I seldom meet as many pro-Lowe’s in the pub, at the game or out in the “real world” LOL) Forgive and forget – not me. I just won’t but I have different principals to you but I will enjoy the football. Also, I don’t mean to bring up all the tired and worn out Lowe this, Lowe that cr*p. It’s been done. However, you did challenge some of my points so I feel it’s only fair to reply. Let’s hope we do get some good news and some success, maybe one day a takeover (but I won’t hold my breath). I just don’t like parasites you can’t shake off.

Enjoy the game Saturday!! COYS.

If it is a choice between the two, even though I have never seen him play, I would prefer Gasmi.

There's just something about a 24 year old who has only made around 20 pro appearances, even though he has been signed by his own dad for 3 different teams, that doesn't fill me with any great excitement.

Stacy is indeed a very good left winger. Far to good for Saints. But big John is off soon, we've been voting until friday on whether he goes and that is alot of money at BSP level. I would love it if he came here, he has alot more potential than Stacy. The other jewel is Neil Barrett at the Fleet.

Possibly John Akinde from Ebbsfleet. Alot of CCC sides in for him at £140k. Big strong striker with an eye for goal and only 19. Someone has bid for him, all hush hush.

Ask me nicely and I'll allow the deal to go through.

Some will always want to move on for more money or more glamour - but some of the good ones will want to stay - especially if Southampton is their hometown.

I'll always remember MLT saying in an interview (when criticised for not seeking a big money move). "All my friends and family are here. I earn £10,000pw, I have a 4 bedroom house two cars and if I retire at 30 I'll never have to work again. Why would I want to move?"

The difference between £500pw and £5,000pw is immense. After that its all a bit irrelevant and quality of life is more important.

Funny, in his testimonial programme he states categorically that he ever earned more than 4k per week and went to see Ferguson several times about a move to Machester United but alway ended up opening a bottle of red and both of them forgetting why they were there!!

Stacy is indeed a very good left winger. Far to good for Saints. But big John is off soon, we've been voting until friday on whether he goes and that is alot of money at BSP level. I would love it if he came here, he has alot more potential than Stacy. The other jewel is Neil Barrett at the Fleet.

To be honest I used to watch a lot of the non league and thought Saints could do with a couple of the Exeter side. Now we have played them twice, last year friendly and this year cup, they would have had a good look. So what do I know.

Must admit some good young players in the conference. But then again our youngsters are doing well.

To be honest I used to watch a lot of the non league and thought Saints could do with a couple of the Exeter side. Now we have played them twice, last year friendly and this year cup, they would have had a good look. So what do I know.

Must admit some good young players in the conference. But then again our youngsters are doing well.

Exeter have got some good young players. George Friend and Ryan Harley stand out. Friend is a left or centre back and Ryan Harley is an Adam Lallana type player with a fantastic pass. Both are expected to go on to bigger things. Think we may have been linked with Friend once(?) I only have extensive knowledge of them as I live down there, if you're wandering :rolleyes: I'm sure if Jan was impressed with a player he's seen (as he has been reported to have been with Pulis) then he will act. Jan is the man :D

well the 'horses mouth', i.e. direct quote from their current club saying they are visiting saints, says is probably gasmi but who knows.

Also says he is injured, a 5th metatarsal. As Pulis is also injured, I guess that there is nothing to choose between them. If we run true to form we will probably choose the one with the worst injury. If the injuries are the same, it will probably be decided on countback.

Strasbourg's OS

Edited by hugh