BT Sport to show Champions League and Europa League football from 2015

trousers

Looks like its confirmed and will be exclusive. Huge spanner in the works for ITV & Sky although some games will be FTA.

I wonder with the growth of foreign streaming sites whether they'll get a return on their investment, have to feel that the wheels are going to come off the TV football bandwagon in the next 5 years.

Looks like its confirmed and will be exclusive. Huge spanner in the works for ITV & Sky although some games will be FTA.

I wonder with the growth of foreign streaming sites whether they'll get a return on their investment, have to feel that the wheels are going to come off the TV football bandwagon in the next 5 years.

been said for the last 20 years

BT may go the way of all the others who have tried and failed to rival Sky.

BT may go the way of all the others who have tried and failed to rival Sky.

I also get the feeling bt may well follow itv digital and setanta .

Possibly, but this is different. Those others paid over the odds for tat no one was bothered about like the Football League and fourth tier missable Prem games.

That said BT could go pop just because of the amount they've spent. Can't see it being free for broadband subscribers when the CL kicks in, though.

If nothing else it is a massive gap in the Sky schedules now.

Confirmed that it will be chargeable, question is how much - they say cheaper than a £40 per month Sky sub. This is a huge triple play by BT, it should get people flocking to BT Infinity which will be much more widely available (and even faster) by then. With it not being until 2015 people have got enough time to get out of their broadband contracts for it.

Reality is though that those who watch footy on TV will end up paying more - I can't see people choosing between Sky for Prem and BT for CL, they'll feel they need both. Or use of streams will increase.

The other plus for BT Sport for some people is no dish reqd, I know when I was renting I would have had Sky but most flats didn't have dishes and there was no way of installing one. Providing you can get fast broadband you can just stream it all.

With regard to ITV Digital and Setanta the important thing is BT can afford to take a massive hit for a couple of years whilst they build a customer base. They made almost a £1bn profit in the first half of 2013FY. From motorsport forums I know loads are planning to switch broadband suppliers so they can get Moto GP next year and I'm sure rugby fans are doing the same.

Wonder what Sky will spend the spare cash on? My feeling is it means the BBC are going to have to pay a premium to renew MOTD in 2015.

The winners from this deal, I'm guessing, seem to be BT subscribers, the teams that qualify for the Champions League (I can only assume they'll get even more money) and pubs. Unless Saints do qualify over that 3 years, I'm not too concerned, although I'll miss watching the games on ITV when there's sod all else to watch.

This is a huge game changer really. Massive voids in the Sky schedules, that they'll somehow need to fill.

Reckon on the back of this, football league clubs will get a bit more $$$? As Sky shuffle to fill the schedule, and broadcast a couple of FL Midweek games in the CL places. Not much of a competition I guess, but a positive in the sense that the lower league clubs could benefit on the back of this.

Great news :) Sky have had a virtual monopoly for too long.

It's not just Sky who have lost the rights - it is ITV as well. This means no games for those of us who refuse to pay for subscription TV. BT says they will show the final free-to-air but I bet they won't do it for many other games.

Great news :) Sky have had a virtual monopoly for too long.

Yeah, and now the result of no monopoly is we have to pay more to watch the same amount of sport that, previously, was covered by 1 subscription.

As I won't move to BT broadband (they throttle at peak times and it's much, much more expensive than the Sky offering) I'm going to have to pay £15 more a month to watch the same amount of sport.

Already lost Rugby Union and ESPN (FTA version), what next....