Handing in your notice / notice letters

SO16_Saint

Im going to do this next week - what should be written in the letter? Any (sensible) ideas or thoughts?

Im going to make it clear that it is not because of the manager (they've been superb) but purely because of the w@nky company that we work for

:smt102

I resigned from my last job for basically the same sentiments.

Just be polite, sparing of detail behind the decision (e.g. don't do battering their corporate structure/strategy or whatever) and straight with your intent to leave. Thank your manager/colleagues as well for any support help they have given you in the letter to ensure they know your decision has nothing to with them.

Good luck chap.

Im going to do this next week - what should be written in the letter? Any (sensible) ideas or thoughts?

Im going to make it clear that it is not because of the manager (they've been superb) but purely because of the w@nky company that we work for

State the date you wish to leave after your notice period, state the reasons for leaving (be as specific as possible), state the quality of your manager (professional reasons only). Any company worth there salt will hold an exit interview and may wish to see your concerns as a grievance, which even though you may have left can still be heard.

DO NOT SLAG OFF THE COMPANY OR MANAGEMENT!

If you do you are inviting problems in the future. You may want them to give you references or even another job at some stage.

Simply confirm you are submitting your resignation and your period of notice, giving the final date you will be working. You don't need to state the reason for leaving.

One sentence saying how you enjoyed working there and best wishes for the future is also a nice touch.

Slagging off management either written or verbally is a mistake - no matter how good or bad they are, no matter how right you are.

As a manager and a director both in UK and USA for a number of years, trust me, you never know what can happen in the future.

When I've left companies, I've gone to my manager (or their managers) and spoke to them personally; this way you can assure them that you're not leaving because of them but still explain your reasons (also two companies I left I was going to potential competitors).

If you have a good management team you might not need to have written confirmation (though they may ask for an exit interview) and you will feel better.

Hint never slag the company off, because you may find the other company is even more pants and the company your just about to leave may have an opening and allow you to come back.

Do you work for BA?

I hope that you have a new job lined up before you leave the old one....

Make sure you have a job to go to before you leave.

NEVER EVER slag off the company or management, you need a reference, plus you may want/have to go back there for whatever reason so never burn your bridges.

Write a polite letter stating your intention and date of leaving and keep it civil.

Write a sentance about your manager if you must saying how good he is etc and perhaps have a small meeting with him alone and explain its not him but still don't slag off the company.

You never know, they may offer you more money.

Becareful with your wording. I resigned with "immeadiate effect", wanting the company to take that date as my day of resignation, with a view to starting my new job the following month (Although i had 3 months notice, i expected them to let me go early) They duly obliged by not making me work the 3 months notice and let me go that day........ Had I not put with "immeadiate effect" I would have have another two weeks paid!!!

All the above is good advice on the present job. But what about the new job ? My tuppence worth on this would be that if you have a Farcebook profile, edit it IMMEDIATELY removing all those pictures of you with your arsse protruding, you being sick on the pavement, you snogging some old dog (either literally or metaphorically), you waggling your donger at the old bill, you waving a giant spliff etc etc etc etc. BECAUSE a lot of employers are now checking out such interweb sites and screening potential employees for their personal behaviour out of work. And if they show any tendency to do any, or all, of the above there will be no job offer. Of course, if you are of a certain age then none of this will apply to you and I apologise for having taken you in vain. But if it does, ACT NOW.....!!! Good luck with the new job, whatever/wherever it is.

All the above is good advice on the present job. But what about the new job ? My tuppence worth on this would be that if you have a Farcebook profile' date=' edit it IMMEDIATELY removing all those pictures of you with your arsse protruding, you being sick on the pavement, you snogging some old dog (either literally or metaphorically), you waggling your donger at the old bill, you waving a giant spliff etc etc etc etc. BECAUSE a lot of employers are now checking out such interweb sites and screening potential employees for their personal behaviour out of work. And if they show any tendency to do any, or all, of the above there will be no job offer. Of course, if you are of a certain age then none of this will apply to you and I apologise for having taken you in vain. But if it does, ACT NOW.....!!! Good luck with the new job, whatever/wherever it is.[/quote']

most of the above was carried out on my recent stag do, and, as yet, no photos are on FB so ok on that front....!

are you going to a competitor?

yes, so am hoping for a bit of paid gardening leave, as a) it's sunny and b) the wedding is 3 weeks tomorrow and could do with extra planning time!

Just don't turn up no more. They'll soon get the message.

With grammer like that, they won;t know if he's coming or going.

Try not to burn any bridges though, some ex-employers can be surprisingly spiteful.

fwiw, if they do offer you an incentive to stay, bear in mind that no mater what they offer you will probably get pee's off agin before long. Good luck in following your dream.

don't burn your bridges - you may one day need to go back and you also may require a reference. They cannot (won't) give a bad reference because companies leave themseleves open to claims, but they can refuse a to give a reference.

You dont state the reason on the letter, unless you intend to put it on your gaffer's desk at 8:30am and do a f*cking runner. I handed mine in two years ago and retracted it three days later, so do I can confirm making any negative comments would not be good (still there btw)

All the above is good advice on the present job. But what about the new job ? My tuppence worth on this would be that if you have a Farcebook profile' date=' edit it IMMEDIATELY removing all those pictures of you with your arsse protruding, you being sick on the pavement, you snogging some old dog (either literally or metaphorically), you waggling your donger at the old bill, you waving a giant spliff etc etc etc etc. BECAUSE a lot of employers are now checking out such interweb sites and screening potential employees for their personal behaviour out of work. And if they show any tendency to do any, or all, of the above there will be no job offer. Of course, if you are of a certain age then none of this will apply to you and I apologise for having taken you in vain. But if it does, ACT NOW.....!!! Good luck with the new job, whatever/wherever it is.[/quote']

although with the right settings, no one should be able to see your pics other than your profile pic...

I've burned no bridges, never a good move, though doing a poo on some people's desks is quite tempting. It went as expected, my immediate manager knew it was coming anyway. Worked with him closely for 5 years so you know. He's a bit gutted, to be honest, and I think he'll go soon too. They couldn't offer me anything else because it's public sector, stupid constraints etc. They looked into what they could do to offer me a package that would keep me, but it wasn't easily possible, and it's time for a change anyway. I've got some definite things I could go for, and some others I will apply for. Failing that, i might just **** off for a while.

You don't need to say anything other than,

"in accordance with Clause X of my contract of employment, please accept this letter as providing Y days/months notice of my intention to resign."

No point going into details at all. You can discuss those with your manager separately should you wish.

s-s, will you be able to find time to fix this laptop's touchpad and camra now? I did a thorough CCleaner scan and it's much faster (tightened up the security settings a wee but too).

Good luck with the resignation, some get scared of what the future holds but I have never personally regretted leaving a job, at one place they talked me into staying THREE times with slightly improved wages, each time I regretted staying within weeks though Even when I halved my salary a few years back it was worth it, never been happier than I currently am fwiw.

Edited by hamster