500,000 per WEEK

Saint in Paradise

Manchester City have offered Barcelona striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic a four-year deal worth £96m - or roughly £500,000 a week.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3093647/Manchester-City-are-ready-to-make-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-a-500000-a-week-deal.html

I find this very hard to believe but if it is true well I am at a loss for words.

will be interesting to see if our so called high tax rates for the rich put this chap off coming here.

no doubt much of his cash will be in poopey style image rights.

Anybody who pays a big ticket price at citeh to help fund this nonsense need their head examining.

Most over-rated footballer around, 500k would actually be quite funny.

Signing Zlatan was Guaradiola's only real mistake.

...and a remarkable bit of business by Mourinho too - not only did he get a shed load of cash for a player that people don't rate as the best striker in Spain let alone the world, he got Eto'o too, a proven goalscorer.

Most over-rated footballer around, 500k would actually be quite funny.

Signing Zlatan was Guaradiola's only real mistake.

Well after scoring 57 goals in 88 for Inter you can't blame him, especially the one thing that Barce lacked was a target man.

Can't see 500k a week being true, very least it's exaggerated

however, saying Ibra is not worth the plaudits he gets is laughable, on top of his game he is a world beater.

Hardly, he's a charlaton, some of his performances last season where embarassing.

The most over-rated footballer on the planet, next season he will barely get a game.

I can't see anything other than Messi, Pedro and Villa being their front three.

Well after scoring 57 goals in 88 for Inter you can't blame him, especially the one thing that Barce lacked was a target man.

Which would be fine if Barca ever played long balls up to him.

Didnt we have a thread on this Zlatan vs E'too debate when the transfer actually happened?

I don't remember the thread but I'd like to think every reply was basically laughing at Barca, It is one of the strangest transfers in history. 38m+Eto'o with 150kp/w wages could have gotten them any striker in the world yet they choose a striker who has never scored a goal in a Champions League knockout game.

I don't remember the thread but I'd like to think every reply was basically laughing at Barca, It is one of the strangest transfers in history. 38m+Eto'o with 150kp/w wages could have gotten them any striker in the world yet they choose a striker who has never scored a goal in a Champions League knockout game.

Yep it was baring a few exceptions.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?15213-Eto-o-and-Ibrahimovic&highlight=zlatan

Wonder if this is a basic wage, or total salary including image rights? Messi was the top paid footballer last year, earning somewhere between £20 and £30 million. We all know that other sports stars earn a lot more Federer received around £40 million last year, while Tiger Woods saw his income drop by 10% (wonder why), which still leaved him with pre tax income of c. £65 million.

Put in that context, if £500k per week were the total income, including additional fees earnt for advertising, the £25 million pa would not out of sync with other top stars. But here's the problem, he's at the top of his game, but he's hardly unique, I'm not sure you could even brand him a 'top star'. If this wage is true, and doesn't somehow include 'OTE, estimated total weekly income including maximum bonuses and private advertising fees' or similar, it'd be a crazy (and rather desperate) offer for city to make. On second thoughts, there would have to be a significant compensation for living near Manchester...

Citeh are ruining the game. Even before this, they were going too far. I will have no respect for any success they have.

To be honest, there are plenty of other clubs that have done the same, albeit not quite to City's level. Chelsea did, and were despised for it. As things have moved on, the prices have got higher, but they did the EXACT thing that City are doing now. The likes of Manure bleated on about buying this and that, but they, Liverpool, Arsenal, Villa, Spurs, P**pey, et al have all spent ridiculous amounts.

The sooner the rules linking debt to turnover are brought in, the better. Otherwise it is a fairly meaningless competition as only a handful of clubs are ever likely to win it.

As for £500k a week, I am not sure that City are that silly, are they? Surely they must have one eye on their fans and would try not to alienate them. I am sure that the ticket price hasn't come down, and £500k would be the equivalent of £10.50 ish for each seat in the stadium. The fans see the players earning a ****ing stupid amount, while they struggle to meet the ticket prices. A season ticket costs (for an adult) between £420 and £605, which to be fair when compared to London clubs is "good" value although the average rise next year will be 5%. Despite of being "good" value, it is still a lot of money for most people.

Hardly, he's a charlaton, some of his performances last season where embarassing.

The most over-rated footballer on the planet, next season he will barely get a game.

I can't see anything other than Messi, Pedro and Villa being their front three.

Which would be fine if Barca ever played long balls up to him.

Which is precisely why he failed at Barcelona. Because they don't play that way and ZI didn't adapt his game. His inter record proves he can be a world class player on his day, but he didn't fit in at Barca.

Barce needed a target man because they lacked one, they signed ZI because of his goal scoring record but like you I thought it was a surprising signing, considering ZI isn't the best technically and doesn't have the best work rate. Precisely these faults were largely exposed last season but you just have to look at the Barce 2-2 Arsenal game last season to know he can finish.

World class player on his day, but he doesn't fit in to the Barce team. As for 500k a week, simply ludicrous and would be even if they were offering Messi it.

Didn't really matter did it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8591643.stm

He also scored in the 01/02 season I think in the last 16 when the last 16 was of a different format. Besides it's largely irrelevant, his goalscoring record for Inter speaks for itself, although Barce signing him for the amount of money they payed for him plus Eto'o was a terrible decision

Edited by JackFrost

Not forgetting Inter also got Hleb on loan for a season.

Which is precisely why he failed at Barcelona. Because they don't play that way and ZI didn't adapt his game. His inter record proves he can be a world class player on his day, but he didn't fit in at Barca.

Barce needed a target man because they lacked one, they signed ZI because of his goal scoring record but like you I thought it was a surprising signing, considering ZI isn't the best technically and doesn't have the best work rate. Precisely these faults were largely exposed last season but you just have to look at the Barce 2-2 Arsenal game last season to know he can finish.

World class player on his day, but he doesn't fit in to the Barce team. As for 500k a week, simply ludicrous and would be even if they were offering Messi it.

I agree, in the big European matches and the Real Madrid games he should have started on the bench and brought on after an hour or so to give them a plan b, he's not at all suited to the Spanish tiki-taka style, very strange signing.

He's probably the sort of player who would be fantastic in the premier league.

Didn't really matter did it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8591643.stm

He also scored in the 01/02 season I think in the last 16 when the last 16 was of a different format. Besides it's largely irrelevant, his goalscoring record for Inter speaks for itself, although Barce signing him for the amount of money they payed for him plus Eto'o was a terrible decision

I meant he hadn't scored a knockout CL goal before he had signed for Barca. He's just a flattrack bully IMO.

• 4 weeks later...