New Pope

Saint-scooby

Harry says it is a top top religion and a great job for somebody but it is not his job so he won't comment further, other than to say "the church is down to the bare bones, he wouldn't want to bring anyone in but if he really had to Mohammed is first class and doing a create job in the middle east and the little fat guy in the far east would add something to any faith. The church has had their pants pulled down too many times though and will be keeping away from youngsters." Apart from that, he didn't want to comment.

Inability to handle the wave of the legalisation of Gay marriages, following the 1000's of cases of child abuses by perverted priests, must have effected his dicky ticker big time. Where is his faith in God, I am greatly disturbed that he has chosen a worldly solution rather than putting his trust in what he teaches. Hard to accept he will retire to a convent of nuns. Wonder what Lenny Henry would have to say about this!!!!

Time for each continent to choose it's own Pope and the Church to be governed by a Papal Council made up of these Popes.

I don't think you quite understand the theory of papal infallibility!

That is potentially true. I am not a Catholic, so perhaps don't have the concept mastered.

I understood it to mean that on the "being wrong" front, the Pope is on a par with God, in that it is impossible for him to be wrong on anything.

Perhaps it's just a matter of timing. When Benedict took the job, he wasn't Pope yet, so could have been wrong at that point. Does a Pope suddenly get their mistake making powers back after they quit?

• 2 weeks later...
That is potentially true. I am not a Catholic, so perhaps don't have the concept mastered.

I understood it to mean that on the "being wrong" front, the Pope is on a par with God, in that it is impossible for him to be wrong on anything.

Perhaps it's just a matter of timing. When Benedict took the job, he wasn't Pope yet, so could have been wrong at that point. Does a Pope suddenly get their mistake making powers back after they quit?

Sorry for the delay in responding. The idea that the Pope's "infallibility" means that he can never be wrong in anything is a VERY common misunderstanding of the concept. It is a much more limited thing. The doctrine of infallibility was defined "dogmatically" by the First Vatican Council of 1869-1870. What it means, briefly, is that a Pope cannot be in error when he makes a declaration ex cathedra about key matters of faith and morals. Ex cathedra means literally "from the chair"; it signifies the Pope speaking as a shepherd, or teacher, of the whole Catholic flock - by virtue of his "supreme apostolic authority". These sorts of pronouncements are usually delivered in papal encyclicals (letters circulated to all the bishops of the Church, and through them, to all Catholic parishes in the world). An example would be Pope Paul VI's teaching about contraception in his 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae.

Since Benedict will no longer be Pope after his abdication, he will lose his apostolic authority, and lose his role as "infallible" teacher on matters of faith and morals.

He was wrong a lot before he became Pope; he'll be wrong a lot after he leaves office. (And I'm glad to see him go, btw.)

I hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for the delay in responding. The idea that the Pope's "infallibility" means that he can never be wrong in anything is a VERY common misunderstanding of the concept. It is a much more limited thing. The doctrine of infallibility was defined "dogmatically" by the First Vatican Council of 1869-1870. What it means, briefly, is that a Pope cannot be in error when he makes a declaration ex cathedra about key matters of faith and morals. Ex cathedra means literally "from the chair"; it signifies the Pope speaking as a shepherd, or teacher, of the whole Catholic flock - by virtue of his "supreme apostolic authority". These sorts of pronouncements are usually delivered in papal encyclicals (letters circulated to all the bishops of the Church, and through them, to all Catholic parishes in the world). An example would be Pope Paul VI's teaching about contraception in his 1968 encyclical Humanae Vitae.

Since Benedict will no longer be Pope after his abdication, he will lose his apostolic authority, and lose his role as "infallible" teacher on matters of faith and morals.

He was wrong a lot before he became Pope; he'll be wrong a lot after he leaves office. (And I'm glad to see him go, btw.)

I hope that helps.

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify. However, given that for many people, it's all a load of made up boll*cks based on Pagan myths, the fine points are arguably of little consequence. Pleased to have been educated though.

On the topic itself, anyone seen the latest about why Benedict resigned?

Any religion where by there is a conduit in place between the worshipper and their God is bound to fail in the long run.

Indeed Bazza, and I would be very careful about joining any of the more charismatic churches in Liverpool.

They're all on the p!ss, these Cardinals. All locked up in the big house with a shedload of gange, booze and acid. They let the smoke out once a day when it get's too foggy in there. Decided the new geezer in 5 minutes with an arm wrestle and spend the next few days getting monged.

They're all on the p!ss, these Cardinals. All locked up in the big house with a shedload of gange, booze and acid. They let the smoke out once a day when it get's too foggy in there. Decided the new geezer in 5 minutes with an arm wrestle and spend the next few days getting monged.

They cant talk to each other either can you imagine that ha ha!

I appreciate you taking the time to clarify. However, given that for many people, it's all a load of made up boll*cks based on Pagan myths, the fine points are arguably of little consequence. Pleased to have been educated though.

On the topic itself, anyone seen the latest about why Benedict resigned?

He couldn't get the hang of cooking the eggs