Is TSW a dead man walking???

Weston Super Saint

Ponty hinted last night that there are only about 400 or so 'paid up' members.

Now it may just be me, but I can see less than half of those renewing their membership next year - what do we get, the site STILL isn't available during matches!!!

So I reckon somewhere in the region of 200 or so members next year. If the current figures are anything to go by that probably means about 10% of those starting new threads, so probably somewhere in the region of 10 or so new posts a day next year.

Therefore from one of the busiest Saints forums on the innernetz to something rivalling ForeverSaints in the space of a year.

IMHO it's time for a change and time for a rethink.....

I think there is too many message boards

muppey show

lounge

films etc

too many people make points in one of these rooms and they get lost

there are far more rooms than the old saintsforever yet far less activity on the site..

does there really need to be a seperate rooms for compuet games and hardware...

does photography really need its own place as being honest, only about 5 people post on there semi regularly...does international saints need its own room, I mean, what do they talk about to warrent it..

keep the lounge and merge the pubs and beer into the muppet show and rename in "banter"....

too many rooms and not enough users

the arcade thing is great though

Edited by Thedelldays

right my suggestions to make TSW better..

- ditch the SFC news on demand

- combine overseas saints and away saints into one room called "overseas and away saints chat"

- merge the hampshire cricket and southampto IFC into one room called "General Sports chat"

- merge the muppet show and pubs and beer into one room called "banter"

- keep the lounge and motoring forum

- keep the arcade (but do something about the broken tournaments ffs)

- merge the hadware and computer game rooms into one called "computing and gaming"

- merge the buy/sell and southampton city rooms into onw called "southampton city/buy and sell"

- merge the photography and films room into one called "films, music and photography chat"

- and merge the golden posts and forum suggestions to one called "golden posts/forum suggestions"

also, as for the arcade, why are the tournaments still broken? if the mods dont have time (or interest) in sorting it out, the why not have a couple of arcade MODS...there are a few that use that place all the time, Hypo, PHD saints etc..

as for the other rooms getting busier, why not change/have one or two new mods...?

- ditch the SFC news on demand

- combine overseas saints and away saints into one room called "overseas and away saints chat"

- merge the hampshire cricket and southampto IFC into one room called "General Sports chat"

- merge the muppet show and pubs and beer into one room called "banter"

- keep the lounge and motoring forum

- keep the arcade (but do something about the broken tournaments ffs)

- merge the hadware and computer game rooms into one called "computing and gaming"

- merge the buy/sell and southampton city rooms into onw called "southampton city/buy and sell"

- merge the photography and films room into one called "films, music and photography chat"

- and merge the golden posts and forum suggestions to one called "golden posts/forum suggestions"

also, as for the arcade, why are the tournaments still broken? if the mods dont have time (or interest) in sorting it out, the why not have a couple of arcade MODS...there are a few that use that place all the time, Hypo, PHD saints etc..

as for the other rooms getting busier, why not change/have one or two new mods...?

I'd agree with a lot of that, but it would be odd to put photographyinto the films music and literature group, this is a good place to find out about new books, films and cds. Motoring and photography should just go back into the lounge. Pubs and beer was another ridiculous extra forum that could just go back into the lounge.

Nobody ever uses international saints so that could be merged and all non-saints sports really only need one forum.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the forum, I just think theres very little to talk about at the moment regarding saints that isn't negative!

Some of the posts are just so unneccessary that I actually find myself looking at the other forums for a bit of relief!

It's interesting in the summer and January when you have all the transfer rumours etc. However, given our situation at the moment, the rumours will frankly stay, rumours.

I try to remain positive by believing Saints will stay up this year. However, I don't want to post these views - lamb to the slaughter springs to mind!

- ditch the SFC news on demand Agree

- combine overseas saints and away saints into one room called "overseas and away saints chat" Agree

- merge the hampshire cricket and southampto IFC into one room called "General Sports chat" Agree, call Local Sports Chat

- merge the muppet show and pubs and beer into one room called "banter" agree

- keep the lounge and motoring forum keep Lounge, Sensible motoring can be discussed in there

- keep the arcade (but do something about the broken tournaments ffs) agree

- merge the hadware and computer game rooms into one called "computing and gaming" agree

- merge the buy/sell and southampton city rooms into onw called "southampton city/buy and sell" get rid, no need for them

- merge the photography and films room into one called "films, music and photography chat" These can be discussed in the lounge

- and merge the golden posts and forum suggestions to one called "golden posts/forum suggestions" ditch them, Golden Posts - my arse

see above

I don't think there's anything wrong with the forum, I just think theres very little to talk about at the moment regarding saints that isn't negative!

Some of the posts are just so unneccessary that I actually find myself looking at the other forums for a bit of relief!

It's interesting in the summer and January when you have all the transfer rumours etc. However, given our situation at the moment, the rumours will frankly stay, rumours.

I try to remain positive by believing Saints will stay up this year. However, I don't want to post these views - lamb to the slaughter springs to mind!

No, I agree with you.

Baj isn't a fool. I think things haven't gone as well as they could have done, but seeing as advertising has only recently been placed on the site things aren't as doom and gloom as they may look. At least they don't have to pay out my £10,000 a week wages now. That should help somewhat.

Baj isn't a fool. I think things haven't gone as well as they could have done, but seeing as advertising has only recently been placed on the site things aren't as doom and gloom as they may look. At least they don't have to pay out my £10,000 a week wages now. That should help somewhat.

I negotiated a wage increase after you went, therefore wiping off any savings! :smt054

Ponty hinted last night that there are only about 400 or so 'paid up' members.

Now it may just be me, but I can see less than half of those renewing their membership next year - what do we get, the site STILL isn't available during matches!!!

So I reckon somewhere in the region of 200 or so members next year. If the current figures are anything to go by that probably means about 10% of those starting new threads, so probably somewhere in the region of 10 or so new posts a day next year.

Therefore from one of the busiest Saints forums on the innernetz to something rivalling ForeverSaints in the space of a year.

IMHO it's time for a change and time for a rethink.....

We have more than 400 signed up (not LOADS more than that, but more). Traffic to the site has increased around 20% since xmas, so it's not dying by any means.

Yes, we are aware that less will choose to subscribe again come August, hence rolling out the advertising (better late than never) and will step that up in future.

The forum is not "unavailable during matches", it struggles towards then end (about last 10 mins) due to people constantly refreshing their page, this is something that can be solved by reconfiguring aspects of our server and something we are actively talking to our hosts about.

We have more than 400 signed up (not LOADS more than that, but more). Traffic to the site has increased around 20% since xmas, so it's not dying by any means.

Yes, we are aware that less will choose to subscribe again come August, hence rolling out the advertising (better late than never) and will step that up in future.

The forum is not "unavailable during matches", it struggles towards then end (about last 10 mins) due to people constantly refreshing their page, this is something that can be solved by reconfiguring aspects of our server and something we are actively talking to our hosts about.

Baj my computer crashed at 7.45 last night and couldnt get on and so the problem is earlier than near the end of the game.

I disagree.

Look at yesterday, there were no posts until nearly half time...

Baj, it snowed the other day. I hold you fully responsible.

are you trying to be clever..?

the forum will have to change...everything like this changes and if baj is as canny as you say, he will have to listen to the people that pay the fees....of not, then this place will slowly get quieter and quieter..

too many message boards here for a start, and the arcade is great but largly ignored by the mods too

firstly, apologies, i wasnt aware the forum was down so early. Usually I get a text from one of the admins/mods but last night I didnt. As I've said, we're looking into it.

As for the other messageboards, the format was the same (aside from arcade) on TSF and no one complained then. Also, how would you like us to moderate the Arcade???

firstly, apologies, i wasnt aware the forum was down so early. Usually I get a text from one of the admins/mods but last night I didnt. As I've said, we're looking into it.

As for the other messageboards, the format was the same (aside from arcade) on TSF and no one complained then. Also, how would you like us to moderate the Arcade???

sort out the tournments..?

one or two of them have been broken for ages and posts have been mae about it..

there are a couple of people that use the arcade alot...hypo, phd saint etc..maybe they could look after the arcade also..?

as for the other forums..on TSF there were plenty of posts questioning the need for so many but they were shrugged off etc...

do you really think there is a need for so many forums..? may (as some of us suggested obove) ditch one or two, and merge a couple together, as many points of view get lost in many rooms...it will in turn make the remaining rooms busier and people might respond to each other more etc..

The retards that can't tell the difference between the Lounge and the Muppet show don't help things either ;)

What about the retards that can't tell the difference between the Lounge and Forum Suggestions? ;)

Although nobody reads that so fair enough.

Edited by Scudamore

Of all the 'complaints', number of fora seems the most trivial. It doesn't diminish the number of threads, it just makes them easier to avoid/find. Filling up one or two subfora with all the crap just makes the idea of looking for something you DO want to read less desirable.

Of all the 'complaints', number of fora seems the most trivial. It doesn't diminish the number of threads, it just makes them easier to avoid/find. Filling up one or two subfora with all the crap just makes the idea of looking for something you DO want to read less desirable.

That's your opinion but why belittle customer's opinion by calling their concerns trivial?The problem I have is that members cannot start threads. What ued to happen is someone would start a thread and it sparskan interesting debate between people who would normally be full members. What has happened now is that the lounge is dead for most of the day and the forum is a lot worse off for it IMO. I also am getting irritated by the crashes on the forum.

That's your opinion but why belittle customer's opinion by calling their concerns trivial?The problem I have is that members cannot start threads. What ued to happen is someone would start a thread and it sparskan interesting debate between people who would normally be full members. What has happened now is that the lounge is dead for most of the day and the forum is a lot worse off for it IMO. I also am getting irritated by the crashes on the forum.

TBF mate, I said "seems the most trivial". I would've thought periods where the forum's inaccessible during matches of more pressing concern.

But administration is easier, which was the plan all along I believe ;)

Ponty dont like it when you criticise the forearm

I'm not afraid to criticise the forum myself, as it goes. It just seems that the categorisation of posts is the last thing that's wrong with it.

http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=193034&postcount=16

Fair play Ponty I didn't see that. I have to say though that sometimes there is a bit of an attitude with mods and admins regarding criticism or suggestions of how to improve the forum. Not suggesting it is all mods but sometimes you make a suggestion or a criticism and it either gets laughed at, belittled or if you're very lucky someone says we are looking at it and nothing really gets changed. The line used to be that the forum was owned by the admin and they would run it how they wanted but now since people are paying, I would suggest that the customer's should at least have their input listened to and should have a hand in how this is run. Sometimes it comes accross as arrogance. As SFC shows, if you believe you are right and refuse to ignore your customers then they will go elsewhere (or refuse to pay.)

IMO...

Have 2

1 - Saints Forum

2 - Banter

Job done.

Totally agree

It's either Saints related or not

That's one of the reasons S4E was so popular - it was simple & fun

This site takes itself too seriously & has waaaayyyyy too many categories

it is not a complaint...just some points that would (imo) make this place better..

this place needs people to use it...if people have opinions that get lost or not even get a reply on as they have a whole list of different forums to use then they wont bother..

having less forums means the remaining rooms will be busier and more of a chance of people to keep talking, sparking debate or having a laugh..

call that trivial if you want, but I call it the back bone of the whole point of this place...

Totally agree

It's either Saints related or not

That's one of the reasons S4E was so popular - it was simple & fun

This site takes itself too seriously & has waaaayyyyy too many categories

I agree with that. The old way of putting a * in a post that was serious seemed to be working well.

Let's face it, we all know that getting rid of the £5 to post over 3 messages a day, or to start threads would make this place better.

there is this..but cant see them going back on paying a fiver at the mo so they will need to make the forums busier to keep people interested...simple really

it is not a complaint...just some points that would (imo) make this place better..

this place needs people to use it...if people have opinions that get lost or not even get a reply on as they have a whole list of different forums to use then they wont bother..

having less forums means the remaining rooms will be busier and more of a chance of people to keep talking, sparking debate or having a laugh..

call that trivial if you want, but I call it the back bone of the whole point of this place...

I really agree with you. I rarely visit things like the hardware forum but I visit the lounge and the saints forum quite a few times a day. On the odd occassion that I have visited one of the other forums I sometimes find posts that I could have helped with but sometimes they are over a week old or longer. It was why S4E was so popular because it was MORE than a saints forum. Thing is nobody ever asks the posters what they would like, it's just assumed.

Let's face it, we all know that getting rid of the £5 to post over 3 messages a day, or to start threads would make this place better.

And if you there was a poll I would imagine that most people would say the same thing. Personally I would prefer the forum maybe to have a few problems on the odd game with no subscriptions than to have them.

Baji....Monty... As a fully paid up member of the Blue Few on hear, I think you do a triffic job with TSW every time i log on i get a right good giggle. in aether Muppet, Lounge, or from the sickos on the main board. In fact every week theres hours of entertainment, I Will be renewing mine:D

Ps the real reason of this thread is the gripers on hear have run out of sticks to beat Lowe and the Board with.......you two are the next p*sing post on the list:smt014:smt023

Go to agree there are way too many subforums. Should just be something like:

Saints Board

SFC News on Demand

Off Topic including all sport, computer games, motoring, photogrpahy etc. Would be a whole lot busier than having like 10 different sub forums.

Arcarde Chat

Buy/Sell

Suggestions

Golden Posts

Go to agree there are way too many subforums. Should just be something like:

Saints Board

SFC News on Demand

Off Topic including all sport, computer games, motoring, photogrpahy etc. Would be a whole lot busier than having like 10 different sub forums.

Arcarde Chat

Buy/Sell

Suggestions

Golden Posts

Maybe so, as an individual entity, but there's nothing to suggest there'd be more posts overall, plus it would be harder to separate the crap from the good stuff, both as users and as mods.

Maybe so, as an individual entity, but there's nothing to suggest there'd be more posts overall, plus it would be harder to separate the crap from the good stuff, both as users and as mods.

There was certainly a lot lot more posts when it was just banter. As I said, the * rule worked well IMO.

I think it would be busier, at the moment I check maybe four of the different sub forums here but i'm sure there is stuff that interests me in other places I just don't have the time to look at all the different sub forums, if there where motoring, cricket, photography etc type posts in a general off topic forum then I would definatly take the time to read those posts and reply.

I think a lot of the off topic forums go un noticed and a lot of people would take more time to reply and post if they where all in the same forum. Got to be something worth trying imo.

Not having a dig btw just trying to make a suggestion, I think you all do a good job running this place and had no problem paying the fiver.

this was my response to finding out the arcade has coding issue..

well..maybe tell us that then..that suggestion was put up this this morining..

a coupel of mods have posted on that thread since...

there have been posts on the arcade for ages about the broken tournaments..yet nothing...hence why I suggested an arcade mod..as if you guys dont have the time (or interest) in letting us know, then perhaps someone like hype who is on the arcade alot could do a simple job on it..?

just trying to post ideas on how to keep (the many) forums remotely interesting to keep people here...or ditch the fiver thingy