Next summer....

alpine_saint

..should we scrape up to above 18th place, when it comes to the transfer discussions, and possibly(probably) lack of activity thereof, can certain individuals stop banging on about "seeing how we get on, identifying weaknesses over the first few months whilst keeping in touch with the pack, and addressing them in January" ?

The January window simply...doesnt...work. Especially for a tardy penny-pinching club like ours. We are now at the 18th and imo are no nearer signing a player to address one weakness, let alone the 3 or 4 we really need.

You have to indentify where you need players, who you need, make the finance available and sign them; f**k what the other clubs are doing..

Well it sounds like Forren is pretty much done. So I'm not sure you can say we're nowhere near signing anyone. Boruc has looked steady in goal so thats that box ticked. Maybe a wide man and another CB, but they're luxuries IMO. I don't want too many changes this January.

And what was so wrong about the way we went about things in August. We were clearly not going to get many points from the first few games in the prem anyway due to the fixtures, so I think we actually played it very well, adding good young players.

?

And also, it's the 18th....which means that there is 13 days left of January, isn't this a tad premature?

It certainly has it uses though Alpine. Big injuries, complete form drops etc - unexpected below par performance in the league - all good reasons to try and get players in the January Transfer window.

Im sure we have got one or two bargains in this window as well ( sorry will actually have to go and have a butchers hook to verify that )

Also I think we will do more then scrape above 18th - I think we will end up a comfortbale 15th which I believe will be a fantastic result for our club.

Is it pretty much done ? To me it seems to be dragging on. Maybe its a bit sloppy to draw national stereotypes, but Norwegians arent touchy prima-donnas like S. Americans - why are the discussions taking so long ? How many more games will slip by ?

Your comment about the August transfer activity just tells me that some Saints fans will dogmatically draw a positive from anything. They could have used that time to get "Saints Fit", or get used to the EPL pace of game.

Maybe this thread is a couple of days premature, maybe not. Time will tell. But having been on due notice for about 8months about CB weaknesses and lack of options, I am seriously wondering if expecting something in the next 2 weeks isnt pushing the dogma a little.

Indeed. He otherwise has something of a point, though not to the ridiculous extent he keeps trolling on about. "Penny pinching club like ours" after a summer as Europe's 7th highest spending club is just a moronic statement.

So why arent we just going out and putting our money where our mouth is, like other clubs do, and getting the reinforcements in very early in January so as to maximise our points earning potential during the games of this month ?

So you're criticising our summer and January transfer activity despite the fact it's looking like achieving the one goal that anyone related to this club had for the 2012/13 season - survival?

Jesus, talk about complacency. A point at Chelsea and some people are already assuming PL status next season.

So you're criticising our summer and January transfer activity despite the fact it's looking like achieving the one goal that anyone related to this club had for the 2012/13 season - survival?

To be fair he is well within his right to do this. Better Summer planning and there is no doubt that we would be higher in the table. Just because we may stay up does not mean that our tactics have been correct.

So why arent we just going out and putting our money where our mouth is, like other clubs do, and getting the reinforcements in very early in January so as to maximise our points earning potential during the games of this month ?

You always spout this rubish, please point out all the clubs that have gone out and got a worthwhile value for money quality signing in already this Jan?

The transfer window works the way it does for a reason all the good business is always done late not early as clubs and players hold out for more money or better options etc.

Stop your continual moaning about the same things it's sad and pathetic if you really hate the club as much as you say you do then please take your 'support' elsewhere we would be better off with out you you massive WUM.

You always spout this rubish, please point out all the clubs that have gone out and got a worthwhile value for money quality signing in already this Jan?

The transfer window works the way it does for a reason all the good business is always done late not early as clubs and players hold out for more money or better options etc.

Stop your continual moaning about the same things it's sad and pathetic if you really hate the club as much as you say you do then please take your 'support' elsewhere we would be better off with out you you massive WUM.

Demba Ba...

Alps you are a one off.

Penny pinching?? Yeah right. You would be the first to complain if you thought we payed over the odds.

Seriously if you were holding the purse strings what would you do right now?? Hell what would you have done 6 months ago? Its quite clear we have targeted the problem areas and are looking to resolve them.

"I hate the club". Well, I'll give you credit for originality, at least... :lol:

Of course, and over the next 3 games there is no chance of us slipping back, is there ? :rolleyes:

Villa's next 3 league games : away @ WBA, home to Newcastle, and away @ Everton - they have to get 4 more points than Saints get at home v Everton & away @ Wigan, ( writing off the trip to OT ). Reading would have to get 6 more than us against Newcastle (a), Chelsea (h), and Sunderland (h).

So, probably not.

Because the funds aren't unlimited?

Because spending nearly £30M in the summer was unprecedented for us?

Because we seemingly had to take out a multimillion pound loan to cover transfers paid?

If you genuinely can't see that we've already overspent and that you're encouraging us to do so again, then you're either thick or trolling. I don't think you're thick.

Both the manager and chairman were aiming for more than just survival this season.

Demba Ba...

U beat me to it.

Alps you are a one off.

Penny pinching?? Yeah right. You would be the first to complain if you thought we payed over the odds.

Seriously if you were holding the purse strings what would you do right now?? Hell what would you have done 6 months ago? Its quite clear we have targeted the problem areas and are looking to resolve them.

Love to know where this urban myth has come from. I dont recall ever commenting on fees paid on here. But WTF, it fits the "Alpine Saint Moaning Bastard/WUM" image, doesnt it ?

Both the manager and chairman were aiming for more than just survival this season.

And you can certainly bet that after the money spent in summer and the sums being talked about in this window that simple survivial is simply not the target. The point is valid that there are questions surrounding our transfer policy. But criticising us for being a penny pinching club is trolling at its very height.

Jesus, talk about complacency. A point at Chelsea and some people are already assuming PL status next season.

Don't think that is the case, It's more the upturn in form, the good results against teams around us, the draws where we probably all expected losses (Fulham, Stoke, Arsenal, Chelsea)

Yes it needs to carry on and we need to keep on fighting but we're in a better position that the teams below us, and ever those just above us. We seem to be united and all the players seem to have a strong bond - I'm not sure you can say the same thing about teams like Villa and Newcastle who are in crisis at the moment.

I think some of our fans don't seem to realise that our target to stay up, still means losing a lot of games, and disappointing results.

Villa's next 3 league games : away @ WBA, home to Newcastle, and away @ Everton - they have to get 4 more points than Saints get at home v Everton & away @ Wigan, ( writing off the trip to OT ). Reading would have to get 6 more than us against Newcastle (a), Chelsea (h), and Sunderland (h).

So, probably not.

OK, then the next 3 ?

Are you really inferring we will not slip back into the relegation zone between now and the end of the season at any time ?

If I lived in Switzerland/Austria (whereever) I would be a sad old depressive wishing I was back in the UK as well. Dull, dull, dull............perhaps a prozac and diamond white cocktail to start the day and perk things up.

.......and in response we are a young team who will only get better and in Luke, Clyne, Cork, Morgan, Jay Rod, Ramirez, Adam , JWP , Yoshi, etc we have the basis of a very solid young premiership side.The key is to stay up this year, get them all on long contracts in the Summer and add further good young(ish) players (espy. CB, GK, DM,CF)

Don't think that is the case, It's more the upturn in form, the good results against teams around us, the draws where we probably all expected losses (Fulham, Stoke, Arsenal, Chelsea)

Yes it needs to carry on and we need to keep on fighting but we're in a better position that the teams below us, and ever those just above us. We seem to be united and all the players seem to have a strong bond - I'm not sure you can say the same thing about teams like Villa and Newcastle who are in crisis at the moment.

I think some of our fans don't seem to realise that our target to stay up, still means losing a lot of games, and disappointing results.

I remember our PL tenure last time round, so your last comment doesnt apply to me.

I thought that the whole point was that we were given the impression that this time would be different, that we had resources, real intent, real ambition and didnt have to look over our shoulders at shareholder dividends any more ?

.......and in response we are a young team who will only get better and in Luke, Clyne, Cork, Morgan, Jay Rod, Ramirez, Adam , JWP , Yoshi, etc we have the basis of a very solid young premiership side.The key is to stay up this year, get them all on long contracts in the Summer and add further good young(ish) players (espy. CB, GK, DM,CF)

Absolutely this. If we do stay up this season, then we'll be in a good position to push on next year, especially with the extra PL money.

I remember our PL tenure last time round, so your last comment doesnt apply to me.

I thought that the whole point was that we were given the impression that this time would be different, that we had resources, real intent, real ambition and didnt have to look over our shoulders at shareholder dividends any more ?

So you were expecting us to get promoted and then just finish top half without having any struggles throughout the season!? Yes we have more resources this time, but so does everyone else...

OK, then the next 3 ?

Are you really inferring we will not slip back into the relegation zone between now and the end of the season at any time ?

There's still a long way to go but I have been encouraged by our steady set of results over the last dozen or so games. If we can keep clear of injuries and suspensions and keep the present form going then I would expect our position to steadily improve, but only slowly. At this stage of the season one isolated good result is not particularly significant and it would only take a couple of unfortunate mishaps for us to slip back into the struggle.

So you were expecting us to get promoted and then just finish top half without having any struggles throughout the season!?

I know what I expected. I expected struggles. I expected our survival to be a close-run thing. I didnt expect us not to be at the races for the first 3 months of the season due to bellend transfer activity and preseason preparation over the summer.

And you can certainly bet that after the money spent in summer and the sums being talked about in this window that simple survivial is simply not the target. The point is valid that there are questions surrounding our transfer policy. But criticising us for being a penny pinching club is trolling at its very height.
Agreed. We've spent plenty for a club our size, no getting away from that.

There's still a long way to go but I have been encouraged by our steady set of results over the last dozen or so games. If we can keep clear of injuries and suspensions and keep the present form going then I would expect our position to steadily improve, but only slowly. At this stage of the season one isolated good result is not particularly significant and it would only take a couple of unfortunate mishaps for us to slip back into the struggle.

Indeed. But how can you say we have kept clear of injuries ? Even more baffling the amount of time signings is taking. I genuinely feel if the will is there these signings would be wrapped up sooner.

I know what I expected. I expected struggles. I expected our survival to be a close-run thing. I didnt expect us not to be at the races for the first 3 months of the season due to bellend transfer activity and preseason preparation over the summer.

And playing virtually every team that was in the top half.

Really? I looked at the fixture list and thought theres no way we won't be bottom after the first 6 games. We weren't even in the relegation zone!

Indeed. But how can you say we have kept clear of injuries ? Even more baffling the amount of time signings is taking. I genuinely feel if the will is there these signings would be wrapped up sooner.

Do you think transfers only take a day or 2 or something ? For a young lad to move his whole family across Europe?

So that being the case you certainly didn't expect our great recent run of form since the disastrous start that has left us roughly where you would have expected. Right?

And playing virtually every team that was in the top half.

I am tired of this excuse- Now that we have got the team together, and addressed a couple of points (such as GK), we have got draws against 2 of the top 4 teams (and maybe could have beaten Arsenal). If the summer had gone better (quicker) perhaps we would have drawn with the 2 Manchesters, Wigan, and beaten Fulham. How much better would we look now with 5 points more ?

I am tired of this excuse- Now that we have got the team together, and addressed a couple of points (such as GK), we have got draws against 2 of the top 4 teams (and maybe could have beaten Arsenal). If the summer had gone better (quicker) perhaps we would have drawn with the 2 Manchesters, Wigan, and beaten Fulham. How much better would we look now with 5 points more ?

That's the crucial point. With a decent goalkeeper at the least we would be sitting more comfortably and many of us were saying that we need one.