Next summer....

alpine_saint

Do you think transfers only take a day or 2 or something ? For a young lad to move his whole family across Europe?

The club employs people to support these activities, and they dont prevent the player jumping on a plane, going to a hotel, doing some training and playing his first game.

Bloody hell you really are a glass half empty person aren't you?

What is there to say that the club has not identified the players needed, put in offers that have been rejected or the player wants too much money? You just don't know do you so to bang on about the lack of activity is just plain wrong.

You can only have a 25 man squad in the PL so what do you suggest they do, go and buy everyone who is supposedly better than we have and waste money? Yes we lost the first few games against City, Utd and Arsenal who wouldn't have? We only played badly in one of those and would have beaten Utd if it was not for a £26m striker. See that is the sort of money you need to spend to guarantee wins at this level and that is money we do not have!! Also we had a great team spirit brought about by a winning team and good management so why go and upset with wholesale changes, look what happened at QPhahahaha when Hughes bought in 11 players in one go. That went really well didn't it? I know which position I would rather be atm.

'tardy penny pinching club like ours', OK I will bite - we spent circa £30m in the summer, one of the biggest spends in Europe FFS. You want to bring in 3 or 4 players, just who out of the current 25 would you get rid of in order to replace them with better?

I am tired of this excuse- Now that we have got the team together, and addressed a couple of points (such as GK), we have got draws against 2 of the top 4 teams (and maybe could have beaten Arsenal). If the summer had gone better (quicker) perhaps we would have drawn with the 2 Manchesters, Wigan, and beaten Fulham. How much better would we look now with 5 points more ?

And perhaps we wouldn't. Your habit of trying to predict absolutley everything based on IF'S is outstanding.

The January window simply...doesnt...work. Especially for a tardy penny-pinching club like ours.

Cant say i agree with this part. I think we've done quite well out of the January window the last few years. Sharp last year, Forte was a strange one but at least made ne very valuable contribution, and both Fonte and Barnard the year before that.

Wether you agree with the summer signings were the right ones or not is irrelevant, we were the 7th biggest spenders in Europe, so to say we're penny pinching is jus wrong isn't it?

Bloody hell you really are a glass half empty person aren't you?

What is there to say that the club has not identified the players needed, put in offers that have been rejected or the player wants too much money? You just don't know do you so to bang on about the lack of activity is just plain wrong.

You can only have a 25 man squad in the PL so what do you suggest they do, go and buy everyone who is supposedly better than we have and waste money? Yes we lost the first few games against City, Utd and Arsenal who wouldn't have? We only played badly in one of those and would have beaten Utd if it was not for a £26m striker. See that is the sort of money you need to spend to guarantee wins at this level and that is money we do not have!! Also we had a great team spirit brought about by a winning team and good management so why go and upset with wholesale changes, look what happened at QPhahahaha when Hughes bought in 11 players in one go. That went really well didn't it? I know which position I would rather be atm.

'tardy penny pinching club like ours', OK I will bite - we spent circa £30m in the summer, one of the biggest spends in Europe FFS. You want to bring in 3 or 4 players, just who out of the current 25 would you get rid of in order to replace them with better?

Who said anything about bringing large numbers of players in ? We all know the priorities.

But thanks for confirming with your "player wants too much money" that this is all about being tight-fisted. If NA is screaming at me that I need a certain player, and that an extra 15K per week is worth it oveer what I'd offered , I would do it.

Transfer window isn't a game in itself.

Its how club move forward.

We have year on year, therefore transfer policy is successful.

We have changed 4 out of 5 at the back. It will probably be 5 out of 5 by end of the day.

Apart from RL all out field players still younger than peak of their career.

It is unlikely we will need or see a high number of signings.

Certain individuals have been proven wrong, time and time again, writing off players, the manager, predicting failure for the team. Its these who need to learn.

Look at the bigger picture Alpine. Look where we have been in the last few season, look who we have bought in, and look at the impact they have had. To say that the January window never works....Billy joined us last January and scored something like 8 goals in 12 apps or something...

Yes, you are right. Can you recall how late in the window he signed ? I cannot.

Point is, we were getting goals anyway, this was a "final push" to get over the finish line to promotion.

We have been down to the bare minimum in the CB department for MONTHS. And now Fonte is injured.

Just to explain, the Vegard deal has been in the pipeline for a while now, yet I doubt he will be here for the Everton game now, and who knows how fit he is ? Why couldnt we have spoken to him when the Norwegian season started its break ? I'm guessing hes only recently been identified because other deals have fallen through. Its all too f**king late...

Who said anything about bringing large numbers of players in ? We all know the priorities.

But thanks for confirming with your "player wants too much money" that this is all about being tight-fisted. If NA is screaming at me that I need a certain player, and that an extra 15K per week is worth it oveer what I'd offered , I would do it.

Extrapolate that out and we end up like that lot down the road.

Extrapolate that out and we end up like that lot down the road.

Yes, because there is absolutely no middle ground in black-and-white land, is there ?

There is a massive TV deal starting next season. do we want a slice of that or not ? Is 750K per year extra pay to the CB who is going to secure that a lot or not ?

Point is, we were getting goals anyway, this was a "final push" to get over the finish line to promotion.

We have been down to the bare minimum in the CB department for MONTHS. And now Fonte is injured.

Just to explain, the Vegard deal has been in the pipeline for a while now, yet I doubt he will be here for the Everton game now, and who knows how fit he is ? Why couldnt we have spoken to him when the Norwegian season started its break ? I'm guessing hes only recently been identified because other deals have fallen through. Its all too f**king late...

He wont play against Everton. Get over it. Things do not work like clockwork. Oh and if you are not using IF's then you are guessing - same old same old with Alpine Saint - got out the wrong side of bed so comes on here to spout off about the club he loves.

He wont play against Everton. Get over it. Things do not work like clockwork. Oh and if you are not using IF's then you are guessing - same old same old with Alpine Saint - got out the wrong side of bed so comes on here to spout off about the club he loves.

Yes, yes, fine. Now youve got the abuse out of your system, care to discuss the points ?

You were advocating 3 or 4 that IMO is a lot to bring in during January.

FFS it is not about being 'tight fisted' as you put it. I do not want NC putting the financial security of my football club at risk by agreeing to ridiculous transfer fees or wage demands. Using your mantra we would be doing just what the skates did, maybe that is what you want!!

You were advocating 3 or 4 that IMO is a lot to bring in during January.

FFS it is not about being 'tight fisted' as you put it. I do not want NC putting the financial security of my football club at risk by agreeing to ridiculous transfer fees or wage demands. Using your mantra we would be doing just what the skates did, maybe that is what you want!!

NC is putting the financial security of OUR club at risk if he wants the feeling of power of driving each deal down to potential collapse to save a few quid, if it doesnt deliver the team to get 18points in the next 16 games...

Yes, because there is absolutely no middle ground in black-and-white land, is there ?

There is a massive TV deal starting next season. do we want a slice of that or not ? Is 750K per year extra pay to the CB who is going to secure that a lot or not ?

Not in your world no its ALL black as far as Saints are concerned..had we actually got those 5 points you would be moaning its not 6 or 7. You are a miserable troll

and you can add me to the list of bites you got today well done.

You are a joke what difference what league we are in to you anyway? If we are in lg 1 you moan and dont go if we are in CC you moan and dont go we got promoted to one of the tough

leagues and guess what....you still moan.

You sometimes make valid points but that gets lost in your constant trolling attention seeking hard done by look at me.

Don't agree it is too late. Would you rather we went for ambitious targets and failed then had backups, or rather just go for the 'backups' straight away? Personally I think we should be going for the best players we can attract, if they don't think we're big enough for them then so be it, but you have to try and get the best options available for the club to grow.

Even if Forren had signed by last weekend, he probably wouldn't have played against Everton anyway due to fitness issues. Jos hasn't let us down and can do a job, Forren will probably come in for the Wigan match I would guess.

I'm sure we put feelers out to a huge number of players, make enquiries, see the availabilty, suss out whether the player is interested, and then decide whether to put in a formal offer. It's not as easy as, highlight a target then put a bid in and hope he wants to come. Lot more complicated than that.

No.

To quote a certain individual (clue - often labelled a troll) this is an internet forum and its about expressing opinions.

The only time I think there is a case for suppressing a discussion is when people post something with so many inaccuracies it's laughable. That's when the mods lock I think (please......).

No.

To quote a certain individual (clue - often labelled a troll) this is an internet forum and its about expressing opinions.

The only time I think there is a case for suppressing a discussion is when people post something with so many inaccuracies it's laughable. That's when the mods lock I think (please......).

Oh, the irony...

The January window is viewed as a universal panacea by some here in the summer to cover up shortcomings in transfer activity and preseason training, yet you demand the thread is locked due to inaccuracies in my argument position.... :lol:

Inaccuraciess hahahahah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Gazzaniga

alpine_saint

alpine_saint is online now Full Member

Nov 2006

Europe

I dont want no Argie at my club. Especially as we are about to kick off with them again.

As others are saying, there are only 16 games left. Madness to change things about now. I do suspect NA will leave over the summer though. (quote)

Inaccuraciess hahahahah http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Gazzaniga

alpine_saint

alpine_saint is online now Full Member

Nov 2006

Europe

I dont want no Argie at my club. Especially as we are about to kick off with them again.

As others are saying, there are only 16 games left. Madness to change things about now. I do suspect NA will leave over the summer though. (quote)

You got me there. I thought he was Italian. Very well done

Nevertheless, bit of difference between 3rd choice GK and manager. And it wasnt me whining about inaccuracies.

30th Jan, :)

Demba Ba is a poor example, release clause so Newcastle had no choice, clearly would leave for Chelsea who throw money in wages at players.

What the likes of Chelsea, Man City and PSG do for transfers doesn't apply to most clubs.

Also kind of odd as we are announcing Forren today.

13 days to get a wide player, and considering the links to Coutinho and Zarate and the like we are underway.

Oh, the irony...

The January window is viewed as a universal panacea by some here in the summer to cover up shortcomings in transfer activity and preseason training, yet you demand the thread is locked due to inaccuracies in my argument position.... :lol:

Not demanding at all. Just suggesting. You seem to be working yourself into a lather over something very few others seem too bothered about. You carry on though. Just make sure you check your blood pressure every few seconds.

Had it not been for your opening statement that you don't want a discussion on it, I might have pointed out that our suspect area in the summer was defence. We signed Yoshida but kept with the team that got us to the PL to see how they adapted. To replace Jos and Jose straight away would have been panicing because in time, Fonte did adapt. Jos has proved an able deputy and with those three we will IMO survive this season. January is a chance to buy yourself some insurance and that is what we are doing with Forren. All new purchaes must be better than we have to keep us moving in the right direction.

But this debate has taken place too many times already. Each time you express an alternative (very weak) view. Why you felt the need to start another thread on it (look at me guys) is almost beyond me.

More attention seeking from Alpine, how dull. Don't recall seeing you being so prolific in the immediate time after our win at Villa and point at Chelsea, you really just home in on the negative don't you?

Let's wait and see what happens during the transfer window, if we don't end up signing anyone and have stopped climbing the table then maybe it will be time for you to start wetting the bed.

More attention seeking from Alpine, how dull. Don't recall seeing you being so prolific in the immediate time after our win at Villa and point at Chelsea, you really just home in on the negative don't you?

Let's wait and see what happens during the transfer window, if we don't end up signing anyone and have stopped climbing the table then maybe it will be time for you to start wetting the bed.

Post of cliches. Nothing worth responding to.

Demba Ba...

U beat me to it.

Love to know where this urban myth has come from. I dont recall ever commenting on fees paid on here. But WTF, it fits the "Alpine Saint Moaning Bastard/WUM" image, doesnt it ?

Do either of you honestly think Ba would have come to us instead of Chelsea?

Let me reword the original question put -

Which players who have already signed for other prem clubs are you upset that we didn't sign?

Agree with this.

NC is putting the financial security of OUR club at risk if he wants the feeling of power of driving each deal down to potential collapse to save a few quid, if it doesnt deliver the team to get 18points in the next 16 games...

How the **** do think he putting the financial security of the club at risk by driving down deals? That truely beggars belief. Staying in the PL is not the be all and end all, I would happily go back to the Championship and maintain the financial stability we have than risk a skate scenario thank you very much. Yes it would be nice to stay in the PL and take advantage of the increased TV revenue but if we do go down then the finances will be safe and we can gain promotion again and possibly be in a stronger position 2nd time around.

Given that we have taken 18 points from the last 12 games I would say the team is very much capable of getting the 18 from the next 16 that you demand! Oh and don't forget that 8 of the starting 11 against the current CL holders were playing Championship football last season so it is not all doom and gloom as you like to project.

The big clubs imo repeatedly demonstrate that if the main priority is to get the player, and cost is secondary, the deal goes through much quicker.

Much the same way as pompey tried and failed, much easier for bigger clubs to cover their losses and IMO our summer window was no where near as bad as you tend to negatively exagerate.

If and when Forren is signed I would say thats a decent start and makes us probably one player short (wide man) of it being a window we needed, anything else a definate bonus.

I love the fact that the majority of transfers esp for big clubs do not happen at the start of the window but towards the end, when the negotiations are done and all other avenues explored.

I would rather we signed the right man instead of putting an expensive body on the squad registration which turned out to be poor

So you're criticising our summer and January transfer activity despite the fact it's looking like achieving the one goal that anyone related to this club had for the 2012/13 season - survival?

I must have missed the 'Our one goal is survival' statement from the club. When was that? I thought they had told fans that the objective was European football and that SFC would not be a YoYo club.

Alpine's criticism of the 2012 summer transfer activity is well made and with staying up still a battle, it seems reasonable if we do survive, to expect the club to do better in 2013. In hindsight, Clyne was a good signing and has been a success. Yoshida, after a stuttering start has been a regular in the side but was only one CB when Adkins wanted 2 and was signed too late to affect the poor start to the season. Gazzaniga wasn't able to hold the GK slot and the signing of the second CB has been delayed until the Jan window. The most expensive summer signing, Ramirez, can't hold a regular starting place in the team, and neither can Mayuka. Even Rodriguez, has tended to play off the bench rather than from the start. For the money spent you might have expected more players brought in who were unquestionably better than what we had.

..should we scrape up to above 18th place, when it comes to the transfer discussions, and possibly(probably) lack of activity thereof, can certain individuals stop banging on about "seeing how we get on, identifying weaknesses over the first few months whilst keeping in touch with the pack, and addressing them in January" ?

The January window simply...doesnt...work. Especially for a tardy penny-pinching club like ours. We are now at the 18th and imo are no nearer signing a player to address one weakness, let alone the 3 or 4 we really need.

You have to indentify where you need players, who you need, make the finance available and sign them; f**k what the other clubs are doing..

We are comfortably above 18th.

There possibly (probably) will be transfer activity as there consistently has been every January and summer since we were bought and also since NA came here.

The January transfer window might not work, but that's something UEFA are responsible for, not NA or anyone at saints.

We aren't penny pinching, having been one of the summers biggest spenders, after being pretty much the biggest spenders outside of the premier league in the last three years.

We are closer to signing someone, announcement imminent.

We 'need' 2 IMO, not 4.

And you can't ignore what other clubs are doing - they need / want their own replacements lined up before selling their best assets, it's a bit like the chain involved in selling a house at times.

You really are a miserable cretin. IMO of course ...

That's all well and good in theory and I'm pretty sure that we do plan the areas that we want to strengthen and the players are identified months or even years ahead of time. However it's not like going into a shop and picking something up off the shelf. Players take their time to make decisions, weigh up their options, so do other clubs and agents. Sometimes we can't persuade the player to join us, sometimes we get beaten to a player by another club. Everyone would like us to get the right players in when we want them every time but football ain't like that for any club and the vast majority of us (including you I suspect) understand that.

• 4 months later...