The next Academy talent .....with a long wait ?

david in sweden

I don't know how many others - either went to SMS /or /(like me) watched the U21 game v Tottenham game on You Tube on Tuesday evening, but aside from missing Jake Hesketh's screamer of a goal...most eyes would have fallen on a young player whose name no-one had heard, barely two months ago.

15 year old Jake Vokins was drafted into the U18 side for his first LB game in early December, and did well enough to keep his place in that side since.

So it must have been some sort of reward for those performances to be given a seat on the bench to watch the above-mentioned U21 game.

What no-one expected was that young Jake would suddenly be thrown into the action a few minutes after the kick-off.

The U21's regular LB - Josh Debayo - fell awkardly after a challenge and damaged his arm/shoulder badly enough to go off after barely 5 minutes and suddenly young Jake was in the game, playing against Spurs U21 regulars.

As if playing against experienced players 5 years older than himself, wasn't a daunting enough challenge ....Jake just got on with the job and the age gap was barely noticed as he gave as good as he got in tackles and also showed good passing / attacking skills.

He showed no fear of the opposition, who might scarcely have believed anyone who told them that Jake was still under 16.

The discussion (on another thread) about the LB spot goes to show that Matt Targett still has some way to go before he can match up to Ryan Bertrand , (or anyone else), but if Jake Vokins continues to impress, we might not have to wait 5 years before we see him vying for a first team spot.

Well Done Jake.

Yes, I was impressed too. A couple of under hit passes and failing to get past his man to start with but he soon adjusted and looked very comfortable. Not afraid to make himself available - he certainly didn't hide - and good control. It depends on both his physical and football development, but certainly a player to keep an eye on.

He had incredible confidence - driving forward, taking a free kick a few minutes after coming on, overall passing looked great as well as crossing. He was beaten a few times by their right back who looked really good and is apparently not far off 1st team. No one would expect a 15 year not to make mistakes on there debut for U21's - definitely one to watch

What is it with the academy and Left back

He had incredible confidence - driving forward, taking a free kick a few minutes after coming on, overall passing looked great as well as crossing. He was beaten a few times by their right back who looked really good and is apparently not far off 1st team. No one would expect a 15 year not to make mistakes on there debut for U21's - definitely one to watch

What is it with the academy and Left back

maybe it's good that we have the Academy to develop them. In over 50 years as a Saints fan..it always seems to be the most difficult position to fill.

Admittedly, we've had one or two good ones over the years, but since Bale....things have looked up a bit.

Considering he made his u18s debut back in December, he's had some rise! Never heard of him before he played against Norwich u18s but stood out like a sore thumb even though he was 2-3 years younger; Fleming even said he was the only bright spot of that game, IIRC.

Edited by GGalpin

No I didn't, but it was a long time between Bridge and Bale.....we were fortunate that Wayne B stayed as long as he did ...there was no adequate replacement after he left.

Before Bridge both Saints and England were struggling at the left back position. So it's no surprise that we gave it extra attention from about that time. It was also Dave Jones who said they need to have experience at left midfield so they knew the right sort of ball to deliver.

U18s on a rotten run.

not glorious advertisement for saints academy

take back what I thought about Ron's comments re: academy prospects not being good enough. Felt he was stifling the southampton way.

Now I think he's more or less on the money. seager and gallager just aren't the answer if we are pushing for top 6, given todays climate of surrounding teams spending the cash and getting in quality players

Before Bridge both Saints and England were struggling at the left back position.

So it's no surprise that we gave it extra attention from about that time.

It was also Dave Jones who said they need to have experience at left midfield so they knew the right sort of ball to deliver.

I think it was that fact that surprised us all.

Then suddenly Ashley Cole had the shirt for ages, and Bridge only got into the side on odd occasions.

After Bridge's departure from Saints, Le Saux got too many injuries, and so when Bale emerged he did get a lot of media attention.

I can think back 50+ years and the number of class LB's can almost be counted on one hand, and very few of those were Saints products...

Edited by david in sweden

Isn't Callum Slattery suppose to be the 'next one', injured at the moment I know but very highly rated.

I think he will be, but this thread highlighted Jake Vokins recent appearances, but I recall a lot being written about Shaw and JWP when they were in the same age.

It takes time to develop and a few good games don't make a whole career. Slattery is very impressive....although IMHO both are someway behind Jake Hesketh.

There was a match report on here last week saying Vokins was a bit cr@p in that U21s match.

He wasn't. Struggled for first few minutes after he came on as sub (was quite a surprise for the kid to get called on, and so early). Looked a class act. Has been on the radar for a while now, was quite a star in the Milk Cup last season.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/20160212-craig-fleming-pre-under-18s-vs-leicester-2949795.aspx

By what Craig Fleming is saying, it sounds like this lad has already bypassed the under 18s and into under 21s. That is some doing for a 15 year old!

....although that may be by necessity rather than just talent, also coupled with the best half dozen being out on loan.

Both the U18 and U21 sides have had lots of injuries this season, and around a dozen U18s have been on the U21s bench, or had gametime so far.