The Greatest RIP

Hatch

A real sporting legend - talked the talk, but could afford to because he could walk the walk.

I seem to remember that he actually visited Hedge End during my school years (early 70's) and opened the new Co-Op store...?? Not sure - perhaps age is getting to me too.

As a 70s kid in relatively white Southampton I really didn't see that he was black, and had no idea about his history of protest and religious beliefs. He was simply the coolest man alive. Slightly too young to remember the Rumble in the Jungle but I do remember watching him beat Spinks in 78.

A real sporting legend - talked the talk, but could afford to because he could walk the walk.

I seem to remember that he actually visited Hedge End during my school years (early 70's) and opened the new Co-Op store...?? Not sure - perhaps age is getting to me too.

You might be getting him mixed up with Kenny Lynch.

Great man and a fantastic boxer . I'm old enough to remember how frightening George Foremsn was , he'd basically murdered Joe Frazier , yet Ali took it all in the jungle and then knocked him out . Such a character , yet so humble in later years as he fought a horrendous disease .

Love his quote about the war

" it's the white man , sending a black man , to fight the yellow man , in the name of a land they stole from the red man "

Possibly I didn't word this very well - it was the store that I couldn't remember, not the great man himself. Fine Fare, not Co-Op...!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-36474829

Great day though.