Pardew....

tisspahars

On reflection, I think Pardew could be a very good choice for us. He's got promotions with both Reading and West Ham and is by most measures a good and experienced manager.

In an uncertain world he's probably as good a bet as there is.

I can't see why Strachan would want to come back to us in League 1 or him being very proud of himself if he did.

Pardew would be a good appointment. He did well at Reading, and left for West Ham despite huge pressure for him to stay. He then achieved play-offs and promotion in both seasons, and as has been documented took them to the cup final. He was very harshly sacked, and arrived at Charlton following a Rupert-like spell of madness that saw Curbishley, Dowie and Read in charge over 6 months. He greatly improved them and nearly kept them up.

His only full season after relegation saw Charlton going well until January, when he was forced to sell Andy Read and end Danny Mills' loan, along with huge injuries to key signings (Todorov one example) at a time when the financial strains of relgation began to bite.

If its announced, lets all get behind him - he has more chance of success (as any one would) with FULL BACKING from the fans, and not just for a few months. Lets see some one stay for 3 - 5 years for the first time since Strachan.

I wouldn't be too upset with this. It's only the letdown factor after we all let ourselves dream of WGS or Kevin Keegan.

Pardew is above my "oh c**p!" line on my list of possible managers:

1) WGS

2) Steve Coppell

3) Jurgen Klinsmann (after seeing that other thread)

4) Keegan

5) Curbishley

5) Boothroyd

6) Pardew

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the "Oh c**p!" line

7) Redknapp

8) Branfoot

9) Stuart Gray

10) The bloke down the road who can't speak a word of English, hates football, has no job and walks twenty dogs around the village every day.

11) Tony Adams

Interesting. Maybe he will be announced tomorrow. Did South Today know more than they were letting on?

The only reason Pardew was mentioned on south today was because of the betting patterns with his odds shortened very quickly. Remember for a while Skybet stopped taking bets on WGS being manager beacause of the amount of bets being placed on him.

No disrespect but you would hope that our new management team would put procedures in place to avoid the club being so easily ripped off. To be safe would it not be better for you to buy two adult tickets or simply pay for an upgrade as and when you need it. You and your Dad will look a bit stupid if you try to blag it and the stewards do check as a result of tighter ticket controls implemented by the management team.

Sounds like the club were throwing money away last year, mind you I think you could have handed them a till receipt and got in. I hope this loophole is tightened up, if the London Underground can tackle fair dodging why can't our club.

Sounds like Oldknow to me. I think Pardew is the new manager.

I wouldn't be too upset with this. It's only the letdown factor after we all let ourselves dream of WGS or Kevin Keegan.

Pardew is above my "oh c**p!" line on my list of possible managers:

1) WGS

2) Steve Coppell

3) Jurgen Klinsmann (after seeing that other thread)

4) Keegan

5) Curbishley

5) Boothroyd

6) Pardew

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the "Oh c**p!" line

7) Redknapp

8) Branfoot

9) Stuart Gray

10) The bloke down the road who can't speak a word of English, hates football, has no job and walks twenty dogs around the village every day.

11) Tony Adams

You ve got "the bloke down the road" BELOW redknapp are you mad

No, Duncan has, as is often the case, exactly the same viewpoint.

Strachan would be good, Pardew also good. I'm hopeful a wise appointment will be made.

Still the minority. It's going to be Pardew. Read speculators posts, someone clearly involved with the club.

I know this is totally off topic, but I currently doing a part time MSc in Urban Regeneration, and trying to write my dissertation in between working and looking on this site. However tonight I was reading a critical report on the Pompey harbour development, when i found this.

"Portsmouth has a low level of educational attainment with 45% of pupils with 5 or more A*-C grades at GCSE in 2003, as opposed to a national average of 53% (see table 1) and a disproportionately high number of people with learning difficulties." (Clarke 2002)

I know this is a very cheap shot, but was wondering if there is a direct corelation between "learning difficulties" and "PFC"

Don't forget a number of the Reading players that starred for Coppell were brought to the club by Pardew

He was responsible for snapping up Nicky Shorey for £25k, Marcus Hahnemann on a free & Steve Sidwell from Arsenal's academy

Would be a good appointment. Pards has done well in 2 jobs out of 3 (same as Strachan), knows the football league having won promotion with West Ham and Charlton.

May come across as a bit arrogant on TV but I've met him a couple of times and is a good bloke.

I think that says a lot more about your football knowledge than whether Pardew would be a good appointment.

Yeah silly old me for not knowing that Carlisle's manager is Greg Abbott - who doesn't know that????:roll:

My point being that we have a well know and experienced coach now on board compared to 90 odd% of others clubs in the div so I'd say that it is good appointment.