Pardew....

tisspahars

Coppell Pardew Curbishley for me

Or perhaps Coppell & Pardew as the new managerial set up?

Coppell knows Pardew of old going back to Palace in the 90s. May be Coppell does not want a coaching role (or old manager's role), but the idea of Pards as head coach and him as General manager appeals?

If this structure is a go-er then I would have preferred Poyet (with Coppell), but Pards is a good choice too.

At least we would have 2 people with football knowledge running the football side of the club. Wasn't long ao that we got shot of the anithesis of this.

Pardew got Reading promoted from L1, he then gained promotion with West Ham to the Prem & was within seconds of beating Liverpool in the FA Cup final.

Yet, most fans would be outraged

Not sure ML & the board can win

There's a very silly attitude on this forum and beyond that as soon as anyone fails, that's it. Career over.

Coupled with an even dopier worldview that people in the very early stages of their career who have had some limited success will never, ever fail.

It's this constant desperation for new new new that sees managers promoted above their station, then a failure and then unemployable in the eyes of the same bloody fans.

Pardew will forever be tainted as a failure - Bol**ks to lower league success, a fantastic job at Reading and a bloody good job at ever fickle WHU.

But Paul Tisdale is the golden child because he's been promoted from League two and everything and is never going to fail like Pardew. Never ever nosiree.

don't think they were - not that bad

This above quote about Strachan shows how little you know. Coventry fans were scathing about him. Absolutely scathing.

When you think about it Pardew has been a lot more successful than he gets credit for. I guess as a manager you are only as good as your last job to most fans, but even at charlton he turned them around in the PL relegation season and very nearly kept a team with a poor squad in the league. After relegation that club was such a mess he never had a chance really

He was superb with WHU, establishing them in the PL as im sure ML is looking to do. He was then treated very unfairly as the majority of Hammers fan will tell you.

AND of course his record at Reading proves that he can get out of ths league

The more i think about it the more happier I am, and the more i think he fits the five year plan being suggested

Or perhaps Coppell & Pardew as the new managerial set up?

Coppell knows Pardew of old going back to Palace in the 90s. May be Coppell does not want a coaching role (or old manager's role), but the idea of Pards as head coach and him as General manager appeals?

If this structure is a go-er then I would have preferred Poyet (with Coppell), but Pards is a good choice too.

At least we would have 2 people with football knowledge running the football side of the club. Wasn't long ao that we got shot of the anithesis of this.

It's a nice thought, but have we really got the money to put such a management team in place? I know we've just been purchased and the new backers will inject some money, but they will also be keen to keep things sensible and I just can't see them stretching to 2 well known managers.

the more I think about it, the more I am liking it..

not the best appointment along the lines of WGS but I think he could do a very good job here..

had his ups - which have been very impressive and also had his share of downs..

quite like the idea

Actually I think appointing Pardew could well turn out to be very similar to appointing Strachan, the first time round. Here is a manager who obviously has some nous about him, commands respect from the players, but is currently down on his uppers.

Ah yes, how the masses whinged about that loser Strachan coming to Saints...

I would be perfectly happy with Pardew. Suspect he would stick around as well, unlike a bigger name.

It's a nice thought, but have we really got the money to put such a management team in place? I know we've just been purchased and the new backers will inject some money, but they will also be keen to keep things sensible and I just can't see them stretching to 2 well known managers.

I did qualify it by saying if the structure was a go-er.

They have stated though that they wish to get the football side of the set up in place as they admit they have no experience of this themself.

It may also come in within budget if they feel this is equally or more important than paying vast wages to players (look where Rasiak, Saga, John, Thomas, BWP got us in the past 2 seasons)

Sorry Pardew not for me. Will be most dissapointed if he gets the job.

I was not sure, but looking further into his profile and how well he has done in the past when given the support required. What he did at West Ham was impressive, he got a really good team working wide football putting the ball into the box really well. And Reading didnt want him to go did they!

Would he come to Div 1? I dont know, but I for one pray he does.

Actually I think appointing Pardew could well turn out to be very similar to appointing Strachan, the first time round. Here is a manager who obviously has some nous about him, commands respect from the players, but is currently down on his uppers.

Ah yes, how the masses whinged about that loser Strachan coming to Saints...

I would be perfectly happy with Pardew. Suspect he would stick around as well, unlike a bigger name.

Agree

Mixed feeling if true.

Would have preferred KK,WGS,or an up and coming manager such as Tisdale ahead of AP.Another name that was quite exciting the more I read about him was Poyet.

Pardew is however a far better option than Dowie, both the Adams,Wise and Curbishley though.

Just not particularly inspiring as we hope to enter a new era.

Ok, probably not my first choice but certainly above

T Adams

Poortaloo

Wotte

J Jordan and many more

Knows this league and the league above it and shows that we must have some cash to pay him instead of opting for a lower div manager i.e. Tisdale

I spoke to him back in May, when I saw him in the pub, I asked him if he'd like the Saints job. To which he replied yes but not with Lowe in charge.

Well that certainly ticks not one, but two, boxes! :D

Pardew done well at WestHam. He was shat on with the whole Tevez and Mascherena affair as it totally ruined the balance and moral of his side. First season in Prem they were a breath of fresh air and a side I wanted Saints to emulate had we got promoted back then. WestHam should also have won FA Cup in 2006 just a wonder goal and penalties cost them.

You mean, just like Ipswich under Burley were in their first season in the Prem? ;)

I believe Pardew would be a really good choice

Strachan is far too high maintenance and unpredictable for me.

Suspect Strachan has been offered the job, but is now wishing to play it out in his own way.

Sorry, but taxi for Strachan springs to mind

Regards

Morph

Suspect Strachan has been offered the job, but is now wishing to play it out in his own way.

Regards

Morph

You are in the minority there Morph. What do you mean by the highlighted bit?

I'm starting to warm to the idea. Assuming we can't get WGS then it's a pretty good appointment, somebody with a track record of getting a team out of league 1 & then again getting a team out of the CCC. Had a hard time at Charlton but maybe he just needs a fresh start.

I'm ready to give him my full backing if it is him anyway.

I'm not sure what / who else we can reasonably expect to be honest. If we ignore the unrealistic / outlandish appointments of people such as WGS, Keegan, Hoddle or Donal Duck, who are we actually left with?

You've got Tisdale, Boothroyd, Pardew, Curbishley, Wise, Coppell and a few others...

Tisdale is apparently messiah number 2 but after that there can't be much in it. As I said after Liebherr took over, I fear for him, knowing the weight of our fans' expectations, I really do.

There's a very silly attitude on this forum and beyond that as soon as anyone fails, that's it. Career over.

Coupled with an even dopier worldview that people in the very early stages of their career who have had some limited success will never, ever fail.

It's this constant desperation for new new new that sees managers promoted above their station, then a failure and then unemployable in the eyes of the same bloody fans.

Pardew will forever be tainted as a failure - Bol**ks to lower league success, a fantastic job at Reading and a bloody good job at ever fickle WHU.

But Paul Tisdale is the golden child because he's been promoted from League two and everything and is never going to fail like Pardew. Never ever nosiree.

This above quote about Strachan shows how little you know. Coventry fans were scathing about him. Absolutely scathing.

you could start an arguement in empty room!

Went to college and stayed in touch with Cov season ticket holder - can't say he is representative but he thought Strachen was not good appointment for us but could see quality but thought him mad! Not the hate in that thread.

Get over you downer on Tisdale, doubt he will be here.

Pardew seems a bit of an odd chap.

Think he got in a bit of trouble last season when he was a pundit on MOTD2 and he was talking about a challenge when a player grabbed hold of an opponent to stop him getting to the ball, and Pardew described it as raping him. Think there were a fair few complaints from viewers, and I'm not sure if he has appeared as a pundit since.

Apart from his experience at Charlton, he has a pretty good record. I don't think he could do much about Charlton going down from the Prem, but he was largely responsible for them going down from the CCC last season, which was criminal given that they would have received a SKY parachute payment last season.

He has something to prove, never a bad thing.

How many of you can actually name fellow league one managers - I had to look alot of them up.

Apart from MK Dons (Paul Ince), we are the only other club to have (assuming it is Pardew) a manager with premier league experience (and alot more success and experience than Ince as well).

We could do alot worse.

I live amongst them Nick and they most definately were. They even took the p1ss out of me when he took over at Saints some weeks later.

yes, clarified later - my impression was thought he was dodgy but not a hatred -doesn't really matter.

Regards

Morph

Sums up my view and I feel Pardew whilst not the most obvious choice he does have a managerial pedigree at all levels of the game and we are only beginning to maybe understand the restrictions he was under at Charlton, worse than us maybe?

Strachan was universally disliked at Coventry and apart from Lowe I cannot remember anyone jumping up and down over his appointment first time around and like Redknapp can probably only manage with an open chequebook. It appears there are no guarantees that our new manager will have an open ended budget so somebody of Pardew's considered approach as oppose to the fiery and at times weird approach of Strachan will be more suitable, certainly to a Swiss of German origin.

Strachan peaked at Southampton, as anyone of us could manage Celtic especially as Rangers should no longer be able to compete financially at least for the time being and yet Strachan evened the playing field for them.

We would be a monkey on Strachan's back and and vice versa and in life there are infinitely more reasons never to go back than to justify a return. I hope that this is the last we hear of Strachan in any capacity as we don't need a director of football with a manager of Pardew's experience. Tisdale would need one in my opinion as he has been working with Perryman and is still a one hit wonder. Therefore, I think that will rule Tisdale out and any other junior one club managers. Get the hire right and you don't a DoF.

How many of you can actually name fellow league one managers - I had to look alot of them up.

Apart from MK Dons (Paul Ince), we are the only other club to have (assuming it is Pardew) a manager with premier league experience (and alot more success and experience than Ince as well).

We could do alot worse.

John Barnes being a case in point

Sums up my view and I feel Pardew whilst not the most obvious choice he does have a managerial pedigree at all levels of the game and we are only beginning to maybe understand the restrictions he was under at Charlton, worse than us maybe?

Strachan was universally disliked at Coventry and apart from Lowe I cannot remember anyone jumping up and down over his appointment first time around and like Redknapp can probably only manage with an open chequebook. It appears there are no guarantees that our new manager will have an open ended budget so somebody of Pardew's considered approach as oppose to the fiery and at times weird approach of Strachan will be more suitable, certainly to a Swiss of German origin.

Strachan peaked at Southampton, as anyone of us could manage Celtic especially as Rangers should no longer be able to compete financially at least for the time being and yet Strachan evened the playing field for them.

We would be a monkey on Strachan's back and and vice versa and in life there are infinitely more reasons never to go back than to justify a return. I hope that this is the last we hear of Strachan in any capacity as we don't need a director of football with a manager of Pardew's experience. Tisdale would need one in my opinion as he has been working with Perryman and is still a one hit wonder. Therefore, I think that will rule Tisdale out and any other junior one club managers. Get the hire right and you don't a DoF.

That statement alone shows you have no idea what you are talking about. How did Strachan have an open chequebook last time around?

Yes a very balanced post which I fully agree with but why has a manager not been announced yet

I still think Strachan was slightly overated

Are you saying that wha needs an open checkbook?

Also wgs record at Celtic is better than martin o'neil. He also took Celtic into the group stages of the champions league for the first time. I doubt any one of us could dothat to be fair

If you look at WGS' record and then at what he would offer us coupled with the feel good factor, moral boost and getting the fans to return, he is clearly the best candidate available if he will come. That said it won't be him, it will be Pardew.

We could do alot worse.

I think that says a lot more about your football knowledge than whether Pardew would be a good appointment.