FM 2010 hints, tips, cheats & gems of players / tactics

SO16_Saint

Are you saving the database as something else? I.E saving it as "flibblegoo" rather than "sports interactive 10.0 or whatever it is?

Yeah I've worked out how to do it (I think).

The save process in the data editor is so unnecessarily complicated and very misleading but I got there in the end.

Where's the cheapest place to get this online?

I think prices have gone back up since the initial release, but Amazon will probably have it cheaper than anywhere else.

I would recommend downloading it from Direct2Drive or a similar site (links for downloads are earlier in this thread, posted by MLG), and although you pay slightly more, you don't have to wait for it in the post and you can download your game directly onto your hard drive. You don't need to patch downloaded versions either, they patch automatically (I think).

MLG, i'm having trouble installing a skin that i've downloaded (vitreous). I assume that the directions are the same as in previous games, but the skins aren't showing up on the list in the Preferences screen. Any help is appreciated guys.

PS: All the steps have been correctly followed, but the files aren't showing in the screen, that's the only problem.

For those of you that have made it through to the PL at what stage did you drop the "stars" of the team you started with.

I've finally managed to put together a blinging first season. Finished 1st with 105 points, 10 points clear of dirty leeds. Would have been 115 and 20 without the -10!

The championship is clearly a harder test. I think Morgan looks like PL material as does Zaki but doubt that Saga and Lambert are going to have what it takes to get me up again.

I was in my 3rd Season and whatever i did, we lost and couldnt win - won 1 in about 15/16 games

I had players such as Diogo, Balkestein, Taylor, Clingan, Jackson, Lambert (Injured for 5 months), Hammond and nothing would work so gave up - only just managed to stay up season before

Then decided to resign with Saints left 18th in the Table, got a position at Sunderland in the Premier! Played 3 games (2 in Euro Cup, 1 in League) and unbeaten

Just finished the first season (i'm a slow player). Blitzed the league, finished miles ahead of anyone else, and only lost 2 games (to Dirty F*cking Leeds and a last minute penalty against Oldham).

s3ddae.jpg

Got Marc Crosas, Delron Buckley, Charlie Mulgrew, Amr Zaki, Jose Goncalves and Darron Gibson coming in June, hopefully them with a few more signings will construct a team that can reach the Championship play-offs next season, or maybe higher. Any suggestions for people to sign anyone?

Highest Rating - Marek Saganowski (7.31)

Top Scorer (League) - Rickie Lambert - 31

Top Scorer (Overall) - Marek Saganowski - 39

Most Assists - Marek Saganowski - 20

Fan's Player of the Year - Marek Saganowski

Best XI

GK - Kelvin Davis

RB - Mark Wilson (600k, Celtic)

LB - Dan Harding

CB - Shelton Martis (500k, West Brom)

CB - Iliasu Shilla (Free Agent)

CM - Dean Hammond

CM - Morgan Schneiderlin

AMR - Serhat Akin (Free Agent)

AML - Ze Rui (Free Agent)

ST - Marek Saganowski

ST - Rickie Lambert

Subs: Bialkowski, Perrier-Doumbe, Jaidi, Lallana, Papa Waigo, Stephan El Shaarawy, Paterson

still on first season... (work etc..) and although out of the relegation zone by September am being criticised for "Saints disappointing start to the season", the board seem to take no account of the -10! Also (maybe because my database is slow) no Ze Rui or Shilla, Van Der Meyde went to Leeds, Doumbe is ****, so is Saga! Lambo on a goal drought for over 400 mins, but Mifsud, Spider and Lallana are vg indeed. Davis went unbeaten in league for over 400mins!! Bought Vaz Te for 1M, Connolly is so so!

Just got Promoted to the championship- Top by goal difference in league One.Just beat Pompey in my first game

Gk Davis

RB Volz/Omozusi

CB Mikel Silvestre

CB Campbell

LB Harding/De Laet/Mills

RM Barazite

DM Schneiderlin/Campo

AM Litmanen/Sibeirski

LM Lallana

CF Saha

CF Harewood

Shocked I could sign Saha, Harewood and Silvestre on frees.

I got saints promoted in first season, 2nd and only by goal difference. Leeds ran away with it. Amr Zaki dominated and Lallana also did very well. I had barazite on loan who i have now signed.

Cheers MLG for the 48 months tip, it makes your transfer budget go a long way !!!!!!!

Signed Faronetti, Hart, Mame Diouf (legend, Man Utd 3mil) Poulson, Shorey. All apart from Diouf around th mil mark. Currently top of championship and struggling to fight off attention for Zaki.

If you want cash for the 2nd season, I signed Sepp De Roover for £400k in January in the first season then in the summer Hull came knocking for £4.2m!

That gave me a nice budged for the Championship, current starting 11 is:

GK - Davis

RB - Gilbert/James

LB - Antunes/Harding

DC - Martis

DC - Rocha/De Laet

AMR - Pennant (£2.3m from Zaragoza, funds courtesy of the De Roover sale!)

AML - Mills

MC - Schneiderlin/Michael Woods

MC - Bassegio/Lallana

ST - Lambert/Andreev

ST - Saha/Kovacs

Don't know how you guys managed consitency out of us, I sit 4th, 4 points off Leeds in second with about 5 games to go, one minute I score 5, next minute I lose 2-0 to 10 men Brighton? How did you do it?

I think that's called realism mate ;)

Consistency for me is achieved by motivation, if your players are motivated to perform well, then they will. Squad rotation is also quite important, because although certain players are key to a team and how they play, they can't play every single game. Make liberal use of the Rest function on the Training settings, especially as you near the end of the season.

In my game, i've just started the second season now, and i've gone a bit nuts with transfers. I've signed:

Delron Buckley (Anorthosi) - Free

Jose Goncalves (Hearts) - Free

Charlie Mulgrew (Aberdeen) - Free

Amr Zaki (Zabalek) - Free

Marc Crosas (Celtic) - Free

Darron Gibson (Man Utd) - £1.8m

Robbie Brady (Free Agent) - Free

Martin Petrov (Man City) - £1.6m

Joe Hart (Man City) - £2m

Jermaine Pennant (Zaragoza) - £900k

David Jensen (FC Nordsjaelland) - £5k

Skintsaint, can't reply to your PM because i'm only a registered member. The formation I use is a good old fashioned 4-4-2, with the right and left midfielders pushed up into AMR and AML positions. One central midfielder is set to 'ball winning midfielder', and told to defend, while the other is set to 'advanced playmaker' and told to attack. I find that this gives good support to both the defenders and attackers.

Instead of me explaining the whole formation, i'll upload it so that people can use it as they wish, and manipulate it.

http://www.mediafire.com/?nzg32mknljz

I got promoted 2 seasons running, and got £19m to spend or turn into wages when I got to the prem, but **** me the prem is HARD! I think I made a poor decision spending all my money trying to build a squad rather than investing in a couple or three world class players, I must be Rupes :( Might start again as L1 and the CCC was good fun to play ;)

Screwed up my first season as saints losing last 3 games to miss out on playoffs but signed Febian Brandy from Man Utd reserves on a free and he won the league by himself. 44 goals in 55 appearences. Beat the skates 1st game 2-1 Brandy and Lambert combined of the new season in the championship and sat 6th after 15 games.

My biggest signing however has to be David Beckham! Signed him on a free after his contract with Zaragoza (probs spelt wrong) ran out! 6 goals and 7 assists in 15 games from right side of midfield

Won the championship with Mame Birame Diouf setting the CCC alight.

Just played a whole prem season and finished 16th, not good. However i had a job offer from the Manure heirarchy asking for me to be their manager, which i thought long and hard over but want to see how i can get saints to progress. Another bad season and i will be open to offers.

If you guys can get him, sign Jo, i got him for 4 mil from city as he was not playing, the boy is unbelievable, also got krancjar, and wes brown. My biggest signing was Cattermole for 10 mil.

Now i am concentrating on young guns

Screwed up my first season as saints losing last 3 games to miss out on playoffs but signed Febian Brandy from Man Utd reserves on a free and he won the league by himself. 44 goals in 55 appearences. Beat the skates 1st game 2-1 Brandy and Lambert combined of the new season in the championship and sat 6th after 15 games.

My biggest signing however has to be David Beckham! Signed him on a free after his contract with Zaragoza (probs spelt wrong) ran out! 6 goals and 7 assists in 15 games from right side of midfield

Do show us

Figured out what was going wrong - all pre-season I let my assistant manager take over friendlies, which we dominated. However he NEVER have a team talk at the end for some reason, so the players all got really p*ssed off and by the time the season came around their mentality was f*cked.

Anyone else noticed that your 4-0 up at half time and then use the team talk as pleased then you end up loosing 4-5. I would not mind this if it was every now and again but this is every fecking time. (Infact the only time my team does not give up is if I say I'm angry with them but then the players start to hate me and then stop performing all together).

Anyone else noticed that your 4-0 up at half time and then use the team talk as pleased then you end up loosing 4-5. I would not mind this if it was every now and again but this is every fecking time. (Infact the only time my team does not give up is if I say I'm angry with them but then the players start to hate me and then stop performing all together).

Happens all the time with me as well.

MLG - if my backroom staff are telling me that the team "seems complacent against the smaller teams in this league" then how do I sort it out???

Just wondered if many of you have had the opportunity to try my tactic out... ??? And if so, how did it work out for you?

Got me promoted in second place in League 1 with by far and away the best squad. However, playing high line at the back I always ended up with teams running through on my goal from the halfway line with nobody to beat except the goalkeeper the whole way, did you not find this?

Also, how did you keep your players performing every single week?

Got me promoted in second place in League 1 with by far and away the best squad. However, playing high line at the back I always ended up with teams running through on my goal from the halfway line with nobody to beat except the goalkeeper the whole way, did you not find this?

Also, how did you keep your players performing every single week?

Hi mate, at the top of my league but only half the way through with Truro (with a very talented squad) but I've had exactly the same problem! I'll definitely have to have a look at it and tweak it but thanks for the feedback, I'll try and get it sorted. :)

On the plus side, some of the football has been sensational

Hi mate, at the top of my league but only half the way through with Truro (with a very talented squad) but I've had exactly the same problem! I'll definitely have to have a look at it and tweak it but thanks for the feedback, I'll try and get it sorted. :)

On the plus side, some of the football has been sensational

Can't you just tell your pacier (is that even a word?) CB to stay back at all times?

Can't thank you enough for the game CL, and that games booster has made my whole computer run faster, not just FM. :D

Can't you just tell your pacier (is that even a word?) CB to stay back at all times?

Can't thank you enough for the game CL, and that games booster has made my whole computer run faster, not just FM. :D

Haha, no worries mate, enjoy! What happened with you're FM, anyway? Just read above Steam might have had something to do with it crashing/faltering?

As for the tactic, that's what I am going to look into - and I still haven't corrected the set-pieces (corners, free kicks etc), though I've put the template in place. In previous FM's I always managed to create my 'dream' tactic and hopefully I can do so, with a bit of trial and error on FM10. :-)

No idea what happened, I just installed it off the disc anyway, didn't bother installing Steam again.

And same, I always play the same way in every game but getting them to play that way in this one is a bit trickier as I haven't really got used to the new tactics creator...but i'll get there. Think I might just play as Man City until the january update, I don't want to get too far with a Saints save then have to start over.

Haha, no worries mate, enjoy! What happened with you're FM, anyway? Just read above Steam might have had something to do with it crashing/faltering?

As for the tactic, that's what I am going to look into - and I still haven't corrected the set-pieces (corners, free kicks etc), though I've put the template in place. In previous FM's I always managed to create my 'dream' tactic and hopefully I can do so, with a bit of trial and error on FM10. :-)

I look forward to V.2!