Get Rage Against the Machine to Xmas No.1

St Marco

Not sure if this should of gone in the muppet section but screw it, let's put it here!

Now as im sure you might be aware there is a campaign to get Rage Against the Machines song "Killing in the name of" to number 1 in the UK charts for xmas.

The song selection is not important, what is important is the message behind it. It is a protest at shows like the x factor. They have killed the tradition of a xmas number 1 by having the past 4 xmas number ones. If nothing is done then it will be year number 5.

You might not give a **** and that is fair enough. But i'm sure there was a time when you did.

Right now the single is number 1 on itunes, HMV chart, Play chart. It is just winning the downloads battle against the x factors winning song.

However tommorow and in some places today that x factor song will have a physical release in some shops. Where as RATM will not.

There is huge support for this amongst the country with nearly 800,000 people signed up to the Facebook group. Many celebrities have helped with the campaign by giving air time to promote the group such as Zane Lowe, Scott Mills etc..

The group is here

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2228594104&ref=mf

Not only is the group doing this they are also raising money for charity. The charity they have chosen is Shelter. So far they have raised nearly £30k

http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

There are numerous places you can buy the single. With Amazon being the cheapest at just 29p. In the facebook group if you go into the info tab there is a list of links taking you to places you can buy it.

Acording to BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

We are just winning. But will need more, a lot more sales.

So you have until saturday to buy the song if you have not done so already.

29p is feck all.

If you want another reason to buy it then basically buy it because Simon Cowell said anyone who was against the x factor having another xmas number 1 was stupid.

Which Zane Lowe and Scott Mills did a quality remix of on radio 1.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQzNdLsI49I

Both songs are on the same record label aren't they?

Ker-ching!!

Yes both on Sony.

But difference is Simon Cowell has the x factor under his own label called Sico or something like that. Reports were that he himself would take about 80% of the x factors songs takings. Where as obviously he has nothing to do with Rage Against the Machine.

I dont get it.

Are people buying this INSTEAD of the X-factor, if not whats the point.

He will still sell a million copies anyway.

If you read the group they put it in a better way then i could.

But the jist of it is that since i think 2004 Simon Cowell has claimed residency to the xmas number 1 slot. By putting the X Factor show on at the time of year it is, is designed to get a number 1 single every xmas. He himself admits this. He say's "The show is aimed at giving these singers a huge hit at xmas".

Should he be entitled to having that slot?

How will a normal band that writes their own songs, writes their own music and performs them compete with all the exposure of the tv show? The reality is they can't. Should the music industry be used like that to pretty much gurantee one company a number 1 hit every year?

If people don't make a stand against it then it will continue every year. It is not about how many sales each song sell's, it is about making it a fair landscape for all the bands. Because no other group will ever have a number 1 at xmas again while the set up remains as it is. That is quite sad if you think about it.

****ing stupid idea.

And the daft ****s cant even get the ****ing name of the song right. Pathetic and childish.

Well that is your opinion mate. Your entitled to it.

People such a Stephen Fry are supporting the group by campaigning. As are others such as Alan Davies, Phil Jupitus, Bill Bailey, Kelly Jones, Jeremey Clarkson etc etc I think they are all pretty clever people personally.

Here's an idea. Don't buy either.

Yep, go and buy an album on a proper independent label. THAT will support up coming new bands and give more power and money to smaller labels that are the lifeblood of the industry.

Or better still, spend some money in going to see a band live, one you haven't seen before. Support them that way.

Dont push even more money in the Sony group by buying yet another of their releases. That will help NO-ONE in the long term.

And don't **** with a good song by making it into your own petty plaything.

AND FINALLY LISTEN TO THE SONG! THEN HAVE A LONG HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF.

Yep, go and buy an album on a proper independent label. THAT will support up coming new bands and give more power and money to smaller labels that are the lifeblood of the industry.

Or better still, spend some money in going to see a band live, one you haven't seen before. Support them that way.

Dont push even more money in the Sony group by buying yet another of their releases. That will help NO-ONE in the long term.

And don't **** with a good song by making it into your own petty plaything.

AND FINALLY LISTEN TO THE SONG! THEN HAVE A LONG HARD LOOK AT YOURSELF.

Why? Tom Morello supports it

http://twitter.com/tMorello

"Rage's Killing in the Name & the X-Factor's goofy Christmas single are neck and neck for num one spot on UK chart. England! Now is your time"

Think the person who wrote and performed the song is in a better position to comment on its meaning :)

Why? Tom Morello supports it

http://twitter.com/tMorello

"Rage's Killing in the Name & the X-Factor's goofy Christmas single are neck and neck for num one spot on UK chart. England! Now is your time"

Think the person who wrote and performed the song is in a better position to comment on its meaning :)

LOL, Epic's PR staff post a Tweet trying to get people to buy a single on their label shocker.

LOL, Epic's PR staff post a Tweet trying to get people to buy a single on their label shocker.

So they got hold of his Blackburry phone and tweeted it did they (look under the message, tells you were it came from).

Thus confirming you know nothing about Rage Against The Machine or what they are singing about. Secondly they said they were donating profits to charity....

Here's an idea. Don't buy either.

Waaaay ahead of you.

I imagine it will be as successful as last year's campaign to get Jeff Buckley's "original" version of Hallelujah to beat Alex Burke's effort. What a load of faffy ********. If I get invited to join the facebook group one more time I am going to download two million copies of Elton John's Step Into Christmas as my own protest against the protest.

So they got hold of his Blackburry phone and tweeted it did they (look under the message, tells you were it came from).

Thus confirming you know nothing about Rage Against The Machine or what they are singing about. Secondly they said they were donating profits to charity....

Are Epic staff banned form using Blackberries then? That's interesting. I used to follow the tMorello account on Twitter but deleted it when I realised that it was 99% sales pitch and 1% faux-personal tweets.

But dont let stop you, on with our crusade young warrior!

"Onwards to HMV my pretties and buy BUY BUY! And don't forget, don't do what anyone tells you..... oh"

Waaaay ahead of you.

I imagine it will be as successful as last year's campaign to get Jeff Buckley's "original" version of Hallelujah to beat Alex Burke's effort. What a load of faffy ********. If I get invited to join the facebook group one more time I am going to download two million copies of Elton John's Step Into Christmas as my own protest against the protest.

I'd like to cordially invite you to join an organisation entiled 'The Facebok'.

It concerns a musical contretemps etc etc...

EJ rules OK.

Amazon confirmed that they will count.

Before the X factor final the official chart rules said that anything below 40p does not count. However since then they started to sell the x factor song for 29p. I am not 100% sure but i think they said they would make up the difference for this week. So the 29p ones on Amazon will count for this week only.

Play, HMV and Digital7 count, as do Itunes.

Amazon confirmed that they will count.

Before the X factor final the official chart rules said that anything below 40p does not count. However since then they started to sell the x factor song for 29p. I am not 100% sure but i think they said they would make up the difference for this week. So the 29p ones on Amazon will count for this week only.

Play, HMV and Digital7 count, as do Itunes.

Good, that saves me another 40p or so ;)

I can see X Factor dying out in a few years time, first you had Peter Kay doing a parody of it and I now suspect we're gonna get one of these facebook protests every year.

Anything that relinquishes the iron grip Simon Cowell has on the charts is always a good thing. Cowell is one of the main protagonists who helped kill off TOTP.

FWIW, I have no idea who Rage against the Machine are or what they sound like.

I was e-mailed the other day by friends who asked me to vote for some song that prevents some X-Factor thingy getting to Number One for Xmas. It wasn't RATM, but frankly, I couldn't give a toss either way.

One day, Simon Cowell, or whatever he's called, will take his millions back into relative obscurity, having fleeced the general public enough times with his low grade entertainment shows, and we'll not hear from him again. Until then, I still have the remote control.

I was e-mailed the other day by friends who asked me to vote for some song that prevents some X-Factor thingy getting to Number One for Xmas. It wasn't RATM, but frankly, I couldn't give a toss either way.

One day, Simon Cowell, or whatever he's called, will take his millions back into relative obscurity, having fleeced the general public enough times with his low grade entertainment shows, and we'll not hear from him again. Until then, I still have the remote control.

Yeah but you got to go out xmas shopping sometime. And on West Quay's speaker system will be "The greatest xmas hits ever 2010" compilation. While doing my shopping would much rather listen to something like Rage then the winner of X Factor! :)

That would be quite funny.

Fair enough. I just dislike the x factor and will participate in any legal activities which will hasten its demise.

I have to be honest, I was tempted to do it for those same reasons, but in the end I just thought it was all a bit pointless. The main thing that needs to happen is that the mindless members of the public who spend their money phoning in and voting and then blindly following and buying the single when it is released, need to be shot... erm, I mean 'educated' that they are wasting their lives by following such crap and lining Cowell's pockets in the process.

That's my opinion anyway!

Yeah but you got to go out xmas shopping sometime. And on West Quay's speaker system will be "The greatest xmas hits ever 2010" compilation. While doing my shopping would much rather listen to something like Rage then the winner of X Factor! :)

It would certainly complement my mood whilst christmas shopping

Fair point, but you'd be surprised at my ability to ignore certain things completely. :)