Get Rage Against the Machine to Xmas No.1

St Marco

Cheers for that, i will give it a listen!

The Mirror have a pretty good piece up about what i was trying to say before

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/17/rage-against-the-x-factor-machine-115875-21903388/

On an interesting note, nearly 50% of the music albums in the chart have a connection to reality tv...

As said before, if you like that kind of thing then your obviously be pretty happy with the music scene.

If Rage gets to number one, I may have to burn my copy of their self-titled LP. Far too mainstream.

You know thats ******** really.

I would like to think i have a very varied taste in music. My fav band is a band called Dishwalla. Not many people have heard of them, at least here in UK.

If you only buy music based on what is not in the mainstream then you would of missed some ****ing classic albums. Which unlike Pancake doesnt need respecting, it needs asking why? I.e why would you only buy things not on radio/tv etc? I would of thought people who like music buy what their ears like?

But of course that is just my opinion. Also Rage have always been a bit mainstream.... Feck they won 2 Grammys and have been nominated for 7. Have been on the radio/tv for years. Didn't Bulls on Parade get to number one over here?

If you only buy music based on what is not in the mainstream then you would of missed some ****ing classic albums. Which unlike Pancake doesnt need respecting, it needs asking why? I.e why would you only buy things not on radio/tv etc? I would of thought people who like music buy what their ears like?

Is this an ironic post? Did it cross your mind that there are a lot of people that "like" the SyCo produced pop pap; so who are you to tell them that they are wrong...

Is this an ironic post? Did it cross your mind that there are a lot of people that "like" the SyCo produced pop pap; so who are you to tell them that they are wrong...

That is totally different.....

As i said time and time again, if someone likes the reality type music then that is their music taste. I have not said those people were wrong for liking that type of music. It is not ironic at all.

What is ironic is someone would say they would not buy music based on what is in the charts since 1992 based on if the band/group/singer is known or not when in 1992 that was really the only way to hear about new music.

Today you have lots and lots of different ways of finding new bands, obviously the internet now being the main way.

Me personally i got nothing against the mainstream. I would of never heard bands like Stones,Doors,Rage,Guns N Roses etc etc if it was not for them being on the radio. I think it was John Peel who said something like "Talented bands will always break out into the mainstream". Because more and more people will want to hear them.

So a band working their way up from ****ty bars to getting success is very different from the guy who gets a number 1 with his 1st single on the back of making his/her name from a reality show. Very different.

As it say's in the paper today. Think about the format. You get picked out of the group for having an image they want for you. If that was how music was then you would have had no classic records like The Pogues or most of these classic xmas hits.

As i said, if people prefer that then that is great, they will feel they are being catered for. Your musical taste does not make you any worse then me Pancake. Just as if you listened to what the people including Rage themselves have been saying you would of seen that simply a lot of people don't feel catered for anymore, they want an alternative, that song was chosen as the alternative. No politics, no label conspiracies, no pr stunts etc etc. People simply wanting to choose a different song that represents their mood right now.

Think about the format. You get picked out of the group for having an image they want for you. If that was how music was then you would have had no classic records like The Pogues or most of these classic xmas hits.

Manufactured music is not actually a new phenomenon though. It's been happening for as long as pop has existed, and a number of 'classics' have come from manufactured pop. The two have always coexisted.

Manufactured music is not actually a new phenomenon though. It's been happening for as long as pop has existed, and a number of 'classics' have come from manufactured pop. The two have always coexisted.

Of course, the 50's are a great example of that.

I think with the reality tv phenomenon we have developed a new one though.

They will always coexist. Even the TV element will. If a show is succesful then obviously there are ways to cash in on that. Like releasing the theme tune to a show i.e Happy Days etc..

But todays manafactured music is different to say The Monkees. You would get the show after the song. Today it is the other way around.

Oh my, you seem to have misread me entirely!

:)

That's right Pancake, you just sit down with your Leona Lewis CD and stop making a scene. Clear the way for the people raging against the machine to... get better product from the machine?... have more chance of a career working for the machine?... get a Christmas card from the machine?... no, I still don't think I'm quite getting it.

The Monkies shows and all the clones manufaction in the USA were shown in the States long before their records were released. Here in Britain we had to wait a long long time to get any program or music that was released in the States. Thanks to the likes of Simon Cowell and others things have changed, become more global. Love is found in all that brings the world together, whilst hatred is spread by disuniting and tearing apart. I am clear in my head who unites and who tears apart. In a democracy we have freedom of choice, but there are still many who don't see it that way. Every success lasts for so long and the likes of Simon Cowell is having his day but most of us know if you just ignore it, it soon goes away. He's loving every minute of the publicity this campaign gives him. As Oscar Wilde once said, there is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about. History is littered with genious's who everyone laughed at. Yet people wouldn't be laughing if they were as smart to come up the smart ideas. Cowell is making things happen to millions of people that previously never existed whilst earning a lot of money too. Why even the Rage have jumped on his bandwagon to rekindle their flagging careers.

Thank you St Marco and others for giving Mr Cowell such a boost to that already huge ego of his. Once could almost forget what Christmas was all about to start with.

That's right Pancake, you just sit down with your Leona Lewis CD and stop making a scene. Clear the way for the people raging against the machine to... get better product from the machine?... have more chance of a career working for the machine?... get a Christmas card from the machine?... no, I still don't think I'm quite getting it.

Leona is soo 2008 mate, its Alexandra and the sexy SuBo for me this season. Add a sprinkle of Buble and a pinch of Will Youngs Hits and Im melting...

You know thats ******** really.

I would like to think i have a very varied taste in music. My fav band is a band called Dishwalla. Not many people have heard of them, at least here in UK.

But of course that is just my opinion. Also Rage have always been a bit mainstream.... Feck they won 2 Grammys and have been nominated for 7. Have been on the radio/tv for years. Didn't Bulls on Parade get to number one over here?

lol

... no, I still don't think I'm quite getting it.

I don't think you do :)

I think a few of you think you do, think your clever by trying to make it into things it really is not. It is not as complicated as all that. You have taken it way too seriously. Thought about it way too deeply.

Just a group of people feeling its time for some change in the norm that we are used to having. It is not a small group, it is a pretty big group. I think that attitude reflects most peoples current view.

The song is not important, the band are not important, what im saying is not important.

What is important is that people have come together and actually done something about it. Had some fun, raised a **** load of cash for a good cause etc and made the xmas number 1 race interesting again, rather then a full gone conclusion like every other year.

You might not agree with what they are doing, might think its pointless, might think the people don't get it etc.. Fair enough, mad props to you.

Lots of others are the opposite, they respect what is happening, they see it in a positive light, they want change, they choose rather then ***** and moan about it to be pro active, attempt to do something nobody has been able to do, break the reality tv monopoly on the top spot of the chart.

So give the same respect back to those people that they give you. As some famous guy who is dead once said "The true failure in life is to do nothing".

For those interested. Here is the video footage from the interview/performance.

Considering they split up and just got back together to do that interview i think it was pretty awesome.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8418929.stm

Haha, that's fantastic. Seriously though, how dumb of R5L, did they honestly think that a band such as Rage would refrain from performing the song the way they wrote it? Idiocy to put them on at that time in the morning on that show.

Haha, that's fantastic. Seriously though, how dumb of R5L, did they honestly think that a band such as Rage would refrain from performing the song the way they wrote it? Idiocy to put them on at that time in the morning on that show.

Yeah, it was very funny! Like afterwards she said "we did ask them not to do that, but they did it anyway". I guess she never listened to the lyrics of the song then. Everyone could see it was coming a mile off!

Tomorrow's Mirror claims that the only winner from this race is none other than Simon Cowell and that's what some of us have been saying all along. Joe won XFactor by the votes of the British public and not by a vote from Cowell. It's the British public who are the losers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/18/x-factor-whatever-the-result-simon-wins-115875-21905279/

For those interested. Here is the video footage from the interview/performance.

Considering they split up and just got back together to do that interview i think it was pretty awesome.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8418929.stm

They've been working together recently, tbh, since Audioslave split last year, but it was still a great performance. I still prefer "Know Your Enemy" though.

Tomorrow's Mirror claims that the only winner from this race is none other than Simon Cowell and that's what some of us have been saying all along. Joe won XFactor by the votes of the British public and not by a vote from Cowell. It's the British public who are the losers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/news/2009/12/18/x-factor-whatever-the-result-simon-wins-115875-21905279/

But that is totally missing the point on why people are buying rage. Its purely and only down to stopping xfactor single being no1 at christmas again. Last year they tried it with a rick astley song.

Also this campaign has raised £50,000 for the shelter charity.

Plus also it is just wrong reporting trying to mislead people.

Simon Cowell WORKS for Sony BMG. He is not the owner of it, he is on a salary. He is not a share holder. Rage are on a label owned by Sony. Simon Cowell will not get a single penny from sales of Rages song. Where as he will if Joe wins. Joe is signed to SyCo. A company owned by Sony after Simon Cowell sold most if to them. He controls that company and any product coming out of there will bare his logo. He owns the rights to the company. He gets all the people on his shows to agree to sign with SyCo before the show has even started. As mentioned it is reported he could take as much as 80% of the profits from Joe's song.

I think people need to understand that. To put this into a different perspective like someone did on the sun. It is like Fergie selling a player. If he sells a player that money goes to the people who own Man Utd, not to him.

To compare it to football is of course silly. But you could say it is similiar to Man Utd winning the title every year. People would love to see a different team win it now and then. Maybe a team who did not cost much, have a team spirit and make you happy to watch. A team like us :)

Last day to buy today.

Interesting article here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2778291/X-Factor-star-blasts-rival-Rages-riffage.html

Joe slagging off Rage and throwing darts at their picture. He says after listening to the song for the first time

"they are awful, a zero out of ten for me, they would not even get past boot camp on the x factor. I would be so upset if i missed out after putting so much effort into it".

Considering Rage have not slagged him off, have said multiple times it is not about him, he was not even the winner when the campaign started, have said he seems a nice guy etc etc think it is pretty low for him to act like that. Just another example of how fake he and the image he has to portray is.

So if you have not bought yet, but want to, please do. It is only 29p at Amazon. It goes to helping homeless people.

Last day to buy today.

Interesting article here http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/2778291/X-Factor-star-blasts-rival-Rages-riffage.html

Joe slagging off Rage and throwing darts at their picture. He says after listening to the song for the first time

"they are awful, a zero out of ten for me, they would not even get past boot camp on the x factor. I would be so upset if i missed out after putting so much effort into it".

Considering Rage have not slagged him off, have said multiple times it is not about him, he was not even the winner when the campaign started, have said he seems a nice guy etc etc think it is pretty low for him to act like that. Just another example of how fake he and the image he has to portray is.

So if you have not bought yet, but want to, please do. It is only 29p at Amazon. It goes to helping homeless people.

Don't buy it from Amazon as they are not charted.

don't particularly like the x factor winning song, but would rather a popular talented Xmas No 1 than a number just out of spite, bitterness and jealousy.

Would different if it was the pogues xmas song!

TBF, "Killing in the Name" is regarded as a classic 90s alternative song that is very popular and is by a band that has sold millions of records and are talented.

TBF, "Killing in the Name" is regarded as a classic 90s alternative song that is very popular and is by a band that has sold millions of records and are talented.

not the point at all tho is it? It isn't getting there due to being popular just because people are being jealous and spiteful

I think Joe not getting a number one is more about the symbolism and taking the reality machine down a notch than stopping Simon Cowell making money as some people think it is. Last week, the top 11 albums were all related to X Factor in some way. We can't let a show and a person monopolise our charts like this. No-one has a divine right to a number 1, though the way Si and his mates have been talking, you'd think that his act does.

We'll the time is now over for another year. We'll done to those who got involved by either buying the records or donating to the charities.

We managed to raise £60k before the proceeds of the song are added to it which is simply amazing. After having no show to promote the song on for the past three months i think anyone who got involved can feel proud of what we did. We will make a fair few people slightly more happier this year, people who really need our help. Not going to just make someone rich.

I think the totals will be very close, could go either way. But realisticly you have to say we probably came up just short due to Joe having a physical cd out there. Based on download stats Rage Against the Machine topped basically every single chart. In any other week it would be a landslide win with those stats. But as feared the grannies have been out in force and bought Joe's song.

It will be reported this was the closest xmas number 1 battle for a long long time.

It will most likely be year number 5 for the Reality machine and while Simon Cowell is on his sunny island counting his money made from Joe, our money will have gone to bring a smile to some vunerable people freezing their ass off on the streets.

While Joe will be forgotten in a few weeks what we tried to do will linger for a longtime.

So fingers crossed we won, but even if we didn't, we gave it a hell of a shot and proved that like minded people can come together and try and change something. So well done :)