How much other teams (Norwich) have really spent...

Dibden Purlieu Saint

Been speaking to my mate who is a Norwich fan, and I was asking how come they're doing so well when they haven't spent any money. It turns out that they have been spending money, without having their squad decimated in the Summer. And not a bad amount of it either.

Just a bit annoyed by people on this site who talk sh!t about how much we've spent, how much others have spent, and how much better they've been doing. If someone else wants to do this for Leeds and Charlton then please do, and then add to the thread. We also started off with a far worse team, after losing a lot of our better players in the summer, so we had to spend to get back on a level playing field. Anyway, that Norwich team for you.

Russell Martin - 200k

Michael Theoklitos - Free

Michael Rose - Loan

Jens Berthel Askou - Free

Michael Nelson - Free

Zak Whitbread - 400k

Oli Johnson - £175k

Matthew Gill - Free

Owain Tudor Jones - £150k

Paul McVeigh - Free

Anthony McNamee - £275k

Grant Holt - £500k

= £1.7m

Anyway, just saying.

Been speaking to my mate who is a Norwich fan, and I was asking how come they're doing so well when they haven't spent any money. It turns out that they have been spending money, without having their squad decimated in the Summer. And not a bad amount of it either.

Just a bit annoyed by people on this site who talk sh!t about how much we've spent, how much others have spent, and how much better they've been doing. If someone else wants to do this for Leeds and Charlton then please do, and then add to the thread. We also started off with a far worse team, after losing a lot of our better players in the summer, so we had to spend to get back on a level playing field. Anyway, that Norwich team for you.

Russell Martin - 200k

Michael Rose - Loan

Michael Nelson - Free

Zak Whitbread - 400k

Oli Johnson - £175k

Matthew Gill - Free

Paul McVeigh - Free

Anthony McNamee - £275k

Grant Holt - £500k

= £1.7m

Anyway, just saying.

These fees are mostly guesses - id say Norwich have spent closer to 1m.

Coincidently that’s less than we have spent on individual players this season (Lambert, Fonte)

Norwich started with a very similar team to us - they had an awful start, lost a manager and were very much in a downward spiral....Fast forward 7 months and they are on track to win the league by a country mile.

Why? 1 x Good manager, getting 11 x average players playing excellent!

Simples

Coincidently that’s less than we have spent on individual players this season (Lambert, Fonte)

Norwich started with a very similar team to us - they had an awful start, lost a manager and were very much in a downward spiral....Fast forward 7 months and they are on track to win the league by a country mile.

Simples

We started pre-season with a team not much better than Conference standard. We now have a team that is in the best 3 in this league. It has taken us two transfer windows to get there and yes we should have done better this season. However, apart from the odd blip since mid-October, our form has been decent enough to have got us into the promotion places. I dare say some players will leave in the close season and others will be recruited but we will be strong enough to take the league by storm next season, although our odds will be so short, they won't be worth backing.

If we are still in League 1 and spend around the same again in the summer I think we have every reason to expect automatic promotion but based on starting the season with half the team we have now on a very low moral and -10 points the money spent has been to get us on par with some of the top teams in this league.

Give us the 10 points back and we are just 3 points off the playoff's. in that kind of position we would probably be looking to try and catch the top 2 rather than just aiming for the playoffs. That said, if we started the season on equal points with our current team I think we would be fighting for the top 2 spots and our 1st 10 games or so were hampered by the -10.

Russell Martin - 200k

Michael Rose - Loan

Michael Nelson - Free

Zak Whitbread - 400k

Oli Johnson - £175k

Matthew Gill - Free

Paul McVeigh - Free

Anthony McNamee - £275k

Grant Holt - £500k

= £1.7m

Anyway, just saying.

Does this cherry picked example get any where near better than 50% of our outlay? Have a listen to Les Parry, They paid for Lambert with more than our annual player’s budget. That gives an indication of where the two clubs are at. Danny Wilson quoting close to the same thing.

If you are going to try and make a valid point put up all the teams, then add in the wages which skews the Norwich figures even more.

Lambert cost an initial £800k.

Norwich started with a very similar team to us

No they didn't. They had a squad of players who would have stayed up last season comfortably with a non-useless manager.

they had an awful start, lost a manager and were very much in a downward spiral

A downward spiral for a whole 3 games.

11 "average" players that would get in nearly every team in this league and many teams in the Championship.

Lambert cost an initial £800k.

No they didn't. They had a squad of players who would have stayed up last season comfortably with a non-useless manager.

A downward spiral for a whole 3 games.

11 "average" players that would get in nearly every team in this league and many teams in the Championship.

What???? Facts???? On here?????

Quick Baj, shut the server down and clear this post from the records.

McGoldrick, Surman, Dyer, Rasiak for starters. It's likely they all would have started this season (maybe not Rasiak).

What better players did we lose last summer ?

McGoldrick = Connelly

Rasiak = Lambert

Surman = Hammond

Dyer = Puncheon

Yep, if only we had kept them.

Strange how such talent can be struggling with their respective clubs.

Did anyone else back Norwich to win the league? I put £40 on them at 11-4. They should walk it now. I hope Leeds go up with them so we can be clear favourites next season

A while ago the bookies were giving our promotion chances at something like 7/1 despite us being a shedload of points behind. Couldn't say what they are today but I would think we've gone out a bit.

I doesn't matter who are favourites and who aren't, there will still be the Swindons and Tranmeres of this world to trip us up. Next season's team won't be as good as the one we have now (although perhaps more suited to kick and rush football) so being favourites will count for very little.

What you have to accept is that even now with our team we still aren't in the play-off positions on points actually obtained let alone automatic promotion candidates.

A while ago the bookies were giving our promotion chances at something like 7/1 despite us being a shedload of points behind. Couldn't say what they are today but I would think we've gone out a bit.

Only drifted to 12/1 overall, although that's come in since last week after the Swindon game where I think we'd gone to 20/1

watch him think he's made it and fall into obscurity from here on in.

i dont think he's ever truely earnt his keep at any club he's been at.

And yet many doubt that Lambert is anything other than League 1 standard,

incredible, Rasiak, BWP, Saga, whoever ,top notch strikers but a bloke who actually does the business week after week after week, nope he's just a L1 hotshot.

McGoldrick = Connelly

Rasiak = Lambert

Surman = Hammond

Dyer = Puncheon

Yep, if only we had kept them.

Strange how such talent can be struggling with their respective clubs.

I suppose we could blame the smoka-da-splif laid back approach of our double Dutch friends but the commitment of the current players listed compared with the cant be arsed mentality ( excepting Surman) of their predecessors is considerable.

Also Lambo v McG penalties!!!

I doesn't matter who are favourites and who aren't, there will still be the Swindons and Tranmeres of this world to trip us up. Next season's team won't be as good as the one we have now (although perhaps more suited to kick and rush football) so being favourites will count for very little.

What you have to accept is that even now with our team we still aren't in the play-off positions on points actually obtained let alone automatic promotion candidates.

why won't next seasons team be as good? favourites don't always win it, that is for sure. I expect us to be champions though next season. Teams will always slip up. It's been fun this season though. Roll on tomorrow and sunday.

clearly completely not true ffs

I do believe Pardew said that his first task was to get Saints back to the level they were at when they were relegated.....which players left us?....

Surman

Euell

Stern John

Saga ( I know he wasn't played)

Skacel

Rasiak

Bradley

Sorry Delldays I disagree. I am sure there are more players who left but I think the team stripped of the players above were likely to find their level in the conference IMHO

the team/squad we had at the start of the season when pards walked in was better than the mighty blue square prem...hence why some of the players since left for the division above us now

kelvin

thomas

perry

mills

gillet

james

lallana

rasiak

sagga

morgan

bart

all are insulted by suggesting we had a team worthy of fighting it out with cambridge

the team/squad we had at the start of the season when pards walked in was better than the mighty blue square prem...hence why some of the players since left for the division above us now

Yes, but once all the players who wanted to leave had gone we were left with sh*t. Maybe not conference level, but they would still be in the relegation zones right now.

kelvin

thomas

perry

mills

gillet

james

lallana

rasiak

sagga

morgan

bart

all are insulted by suggesting we had a team worthy of fighting it out with cambridge

The fact you've added Rasiak and Saga is laughable. Take those out and have the other lot as a starting XI in League One and it would be horrific.

The fact you've added Rasiak and Saga is laughable. Take those out and have the other lot as a starting XI in League One and it would be horrific.

why is it laughable...someone has said they would have made us better..again, rasiak is playing at a higher level..

kelvin and lallana are clearly able to play at a higher level...maybe thomas in the CCC...gillet has already..

so, conference standard they are not

Edited by Thedelldays

why is it laughable...someone has said they would have made us better..again, rasiak is playing at a higher level..

kelvin and lallana are clearly able to play at a higher level...maybe thomas in the CCC...gillet has already..

so, conference standard they are not

Well we'd have not got far playing two goalkeepers in the starting eleven for starters...

kelvin

thomas

perry

mills

gillet

james

lallana

rasiak

sagga

morgan

bart

That set of key players you would have us rely on right there was never going to see us going anywhere though was it really?

did I have to name a starting 11..? sorry did not realise the rules

now matter how you slice it, our squad the day pardew walked through the door was better than what the likes of cambridge could have mustered on the same day...which was the point I was disputing...

Couple of things..

1. Dont under estimate the negative psychological impact of -10 - its no surprize that we actually got our season off the ground when we finally got past the zero mark.

2. How much a club spends in transfer fees is only ever half the story - wages and sign on fees etc connot be over looked if trying to compare resources between sides to make these sort of comparisons etc... eg, hey may have gotten several players as freebies, but I bet the wages deal has been good. If anything, its more important to look at sustainable wages/resources than transfer fee spend which are one offs.

3. NO one is denying that this team SHOULD (probably) have between 12-15 points more where we have basically underperformed during the season - add those points to the 10 docked and we would be in the top 3 which is probably where the skill and squad level should se us... but underperformance during thoase first 10 or so games has meant the recent hick ups have been costly. Had we had an extra 10 points from those first 12 games we would be there or there abouts now and the Tranmeres etc would be simply blips...

did I have to name a starting 11..? sorry did not realise the rules

now matter how you slice it, our squad the day pardew walked through the door was better than what the likes of cambridge could have mustered on the same day...which was the point I was disputing...

It was a joke Gheydays. Loosen up. It is quite plain that the team was better than Conference level. There was however a hell of a lot of work to be done to get us to the position we presently find ourselves. And that list of eleven players you've cobbled together there really does prove it.