Chinese GP - Buemi crash

SO16_Saint

Remarkable video.

It looks like both wheels sets of brake pads have suddenly locked up under maximum downforce at the end of the straight in such a way that grip between the tyres and track was not broken. Because of that, the front wheels want to turn the car over; i.e. back end over front. That won't happen because the whole car is glued to the tarmac, the turning force has shattered the suspension and steering mounts. Notice that not only do the wheels leave the car, but essentially so does the braking system. Of course, there's no front axle, so nothing else to hold the wheels on with. Off they go..!

Anyway, that's my theory. Did anyone else see the energy stored in the wheels being released. They went bouncing off at a heck of a rate. Quite exciting. More please..! ;)

One worrying thing about this, possibly even more than the crash itself, is the fact that the tyres went over the safety barrier and some spectators went scurrying away so they weren't hit.

Agree with St L - all very exciting stuff.

Wonder if the Red Bull cars will be affected by this too?

Something clearly not right there!!!

Think I'm right in saying that the wheels are supposed to remain tethered to the chassis in any form of accident (following the death of a marshall in Melbourne a few years ago). The crash testing should ensure that this happens.

Presumably in this instance the forces were to great for the tethers meaning that the wheels were able to break free. The other factor could be that something has "cut" through the tethers but for this to happen on both wheels is unlikely. The fact that it went over the barriers in to a spectator area will mean the FIA have to go away and think about it. Expect to see higher barriers on that corner come race day. STR will have to go through the wreckage, the telementary and footage to try and work out how it all happened.

Shouldn't effect Red Bull too much as I believe they have 2 seperate chassis designs this season as they now have to operate independantly.

OOO

Something clearly not right there!!!

Think I'm right in saying that the wheels are supposed to remain tethered to the chassis in any form of accident (following the death of a marshall in Melbourne a few years ago). The crash testing should ensure that this happens.

Presumably in this instance the forces were to great for the tethers meaning that the wheels were able to break free. The other factor could be that something has "cut" through the tethers but for this to happen on both wheels is unlikely. The fact that it went over the barriers in to a spectator area will mean the FIA have to go away and think about it. Expect to see higher barriers on that corner come race day. STR will have to go through the wreckage, the telementary and footage to try and work out how it all happened.

Shouldn't effect Red Bull too much as I believe they have 2 seperate chassis designs this season as they now have to operate independantly.

OOO

Nope. The part of the chassis the teathers were attached to was also ripped off in the accident.

It's being reported as a failed upright, which has caused a secondary failure on the other side. The upright is the machined lump of metal fixed to the end of the wishbones, pushrod and trackrod that accepts the brake disc, caliper and wheel. Seems a bit odd that both would fail simultaneously though. I reckon there's more to come out of this story.

It's being reported as a failed upright, which has caused a secondary failure on the other side. The upright is the machined lump of metal fixed to the end of the wishbones, pushrod and trackrod that accepts the brake disc, caliper and wheel. Seems a bit odd that both would fail simultaneously though. I reckon there's more to come out of this story.

Sounds similar to the results of some of my best Mig welding!!

Loved Petrov mullering Schumacher and Webber to redeem for his excursion off the track. Brilliant racing from the rookie! Shame the safety car cost us more points but has to go down as points won after quali. Yet again the Red Bulls disappoint in the race. Shame.

what are the chances of Lewis being penalised for the pitlane incident and/or the incident with Webber after the safety car

The overtaking incident on Webber was perfectly legit.

Think Hamilton should be punished for sticking on it through all the other teams pit boxes on his way down the straight. Vettel a bit naughty, but I'd let him off.

For the benefit of my old mucker, StL, there were 70 completed overtaking manoeuvres in that Grand Prix. That's right, 70.

That sounds really good Ponty but can you compare it to last year's China GP or other previous stats from Ronnie Peterson times. (apart from Lotus :-))

Edited by TopGun
forget my comments, drunk, when was the best passing season

It appears that there were 9 completed passes in 2009.

That seems low, and I'm guessing that my data source has an incorrect entry. There were 40 in 2008, 51 in 2007, 20 in 2006 and 17 in 2005.

I'll have to check that stat for 2009 but I haven't got stats going back to '78 I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...