Pardew pre-Carlisle

Bailey

Just listened to the full interview on Saints Player and it's well worth a watch if you haven't already seen it. Pardew talks in-depth about Tuesday night's disappointment, as well as his own future too. If you don't have Saints Player however, here's the written article version which is up on the OS.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10280~2032369,00.html

Can't see anything about his future in the written article

The written article is only a snippet from the full interview, which lasts for about 18 minutes.

When talking about the future, Pardew brushes off any speculation around his position and insists he's here to get us out of this division. All very reassuring to hear. If you do have Saints Player, it's well worth a listen as he speaks a lot of sense.

Best interview AP's done all season. Very reassuring and indicates that we can ignore any speculation over the summer and look forward to a strong start to the new season regardless of which division it's in.

Speculation re players is a different matter though...

really do we need to sign loads? I'm kind of hoping we unload a lot of the fringe players, keep the best of the current ones and make a couple of good signings in our weak spots ie RB and CM.

spot on

I've got to say that was one of the best Saints manager interviews I've ever heard. AP really has a fantastic way about him and I can see quite clearly how he commands the respect of his players. I loved the way he used the term "our club".

Well done Alan - you really are the real deal and I really hope that the team does you proud for the last games of this season and the 1st half of next season. I would be pleased to see you here for many years to come.

he was on solent this morning saying he was told he will be judged after 18 months and he needs to show that the team are on their way up from this division - looking forward to seeing all of his 3 year contract out -

if no-one leaves, (from 1st team squad) I would like a top RB, a CM to partner MS, and possibly a CB.

I can't imagine we could improve much on many other positions with the level we are at.

Cm is priority! Only thing that annoyed me about puncheon signing was that he is ostensibly on wing. This left us short in CM if anything happened to Morgan! Wotton, James nowhere near good enough!!

Cm is priority! Only thing that annoyed me about puncheon signing was that he is ostensibly on wing. This left us short in CM if anything happened to Morgan! Wotton, James nowhere near good enough!!

The trouble was though, we badly needed another creative winger to add competition for Lallana. Puncheon fits that role perfectly and was an excellent signing. We've signed a lot of players because we've been short of quality and depth in key areas, of which CM was probably the lowest priority. Over the summer though, it will be the main priority and I'm looking forward to seeing who we bring in.

The trouble was though, we badly needed another creative winger to add competition for Lallana. Puncheon fits that role perfectly and was an excellent signing. We've signed a lot of players because we've been short of quality and depth in key areas, of which CM was probably the lowest priority. Over the summer though, it will be the main priority and I'm looking forward to seeing who we bring in.

Glad Punch is in squad even if he is bit hit and miss! The cm position is glaringly obvious now so with the right signing(s), we will be equipped to hit the ground running in September!

On another note, Just can't believe how good Fonte is! keep him and the future will be very rosy!!!

What is annoying me more and more every day is Pards' constant carping about reaching the play-offs which he knows as well as we has been beyond Saints' capabilities since the start of 2010. What game is he playing? "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Pardew?", as the old song goes...

It's an insult to fans to treat us like juveniles and try to jolly us up so that we will keep turning up and forking out at the turnstiles. Fans ARE NOT idiots as we saw on Tuesday with a low turn-out. After that performance they'll do well to get 15k in tomorrow and maybe only 12k.

Talking up a dead horse's chance of winning the National smells of desperation. Or is it Cortese he's trying to hoodwink?

What is annoying me more and more every day is Pards' constant carping about reaching the play-offs which he knows as well as we has been beyond Saints' capabilities since the start of 2010. What game is he playing? "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Pardew?", as the old song goes...

It's an insult to fans to treat us like juveniles and try to jolly us up so that we will keep turning up and forking out at the turnstiles. Fans ARE NOT idiots as we saw on Tuesday with a low turn-out. After that performance they'll do well to get 15k in tomorrow and maybe only 12k.

Talking up a dead horse's chance of winning the National smells of desperation. Or is it Cortese he's trying to hoodwink?

AP wants to instill a winning mentality into the players. Regardless of whether he thinks the play offs are achievable, he'll want to win the remaining games to keep the momentum going into the new season. This won't happen if he publicly throws the towel in so he's got to continue to talk up our chances.

are you sure you were reading the same article?

Pardew says that until it is mathematically impossible, he will be going all out for it - absolutely right but he doesn't say he thinks we will make it and acknowledges that our chances could be over by saturday evening.

Oh and he wants the fans to turn up and create a good atmosphere - what is wrong with that.

Surely fans should go week in week out not just when we have a chance of winning something bigger than the next game.

This time last year we were relegated and our gates got bigger - that is the spirit of Southampton.

I'm looking forward to our last few games and the chance to dream about what might be next season.

if no-one leaves, (from 1st team squad) I would like a top RB, a CM to partner MS, and possibly a CB.

I can't imagine we could improve much on many other positions with the level we are at.

I agree with you need another CB to cover as I would imagine Perry will not be here next year.

We would also need a replacement for Papa if he does not get a contract

Think your pretty much on your own there fella.

Pardew is right in what he is saying. If you have three games left you should not take your foot off the gas, you should play to win each of those games. Because while it is still mathamatically possible we have a chance. To accept defeat while still having that chance is not treating the fans like idiots it is installing belief. It is keeping the winning mentality here.

In the past we have been to easy too take up your type of attitude. The self-destruct attitude, only looking for negatives and reasons to complain. Regardless of getting to the play-offs or not this has been our best season for a long long time. Our first silverware since 76. Very few people are dissapointed in this season, funny enough the few who are for some reason are the ones who don't go to games.

As mentioned, if fans are only going because we are winning then they are not really fans. But this time last year we had higher attendances then that and we were awful, relegated and going into admin, that didn't stop 15k+ coming out. I am pretty sure we will be seeing more then that at the game tomorrow.

You are joking of course. When, even in the worst of times, did we only get 12k on a Saturday? We're not Pompey fans.

Anyway the STs are always counted and there's at least 12K of them.Plus the free under 8s.Anything less than 21K would be a severe disappointment I would think.

Glad Punch is in squad even if he is bit hit and miss! The cm position is glaringly obvious now so with the right signing(s), we will be equipped to hit the ground running in September!

On another note, Just can't believe how good Fonte is! keep him and the future will be very rosy!!!

Are we not starting in August like the rest of League one;)

No more wupert the times they are a changing.

No excuses for not trying to attend games anymore the futures bright the futures red+white.

Love the whole vibe about the club now feels like my money is actually being put to good use.

would be much better off saying we give up and don't care, no-one would moan if Huddersfield lost all three and we hadn't tried.

Are you for real? All AP is doing is acting positively and while asking the fans to turn out, he is also saying that he expects the players to turn up and provide entertainment right to the end of the season irrespective of whether the play-offs are a reality or not. That spirit of positivity is what has been missing at this club for literally many years.

Last time we made the play offs we were 5 points behind the team we caught (Preston) with 3 to play, and we didn't even have to rely on our superior goal difference in the end.

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-championship/2006-2007/table/2007-04-20

Prior to Tuesday we had a reasonable chance. No we have an outside chance and still a chance. Things could look very different if Stockport get something tomorrow.