Retained List

Saint Charlie

After today's statement from Nicola Cortese perhaps we will find out soon which out of contract players will be released.

A number of first team squad members are in this situation and some like Chris Perry will undoubtedly be thanked and let go. However, it is not so clear cut on others like Lloyd James, or David Connolly (who I would keep for another year).

Does anyone have a list of out of contract players, and what decisions would you make?

The starting point I suppose is who will definitely start in the first XI next season and build from there. Two people for each spot in the team. Certs to start are in my view (assuming that they are not sold!):

Davis

Fonte

Harding

Schneiderlin

Puncheon

Lallana

Lambert

I think you build from there. Need another 17 players. I reckon that we'll get in another 3 or 4 over the summer but probably no more. Right back is the obvious problem area. Question whether Bart is a good enough reserve goalie - he probably is. Do we buy Antonio? Yes, if we can. Is Papa good enough? Maybe not. Touch and go on him I think. Can we squeeze another season out of Jaidi? Probably.

I reckon though assuming that they're fit and haven't been sold that only 4 starting positions are up for grabs over the summer.

The starting point I suppose is who will definitely start in the first XI next season and build from there. Two people for each spot in the team. Certs to start are in my view (assuming that they are not sold!):

Davis

Fonte

Harding

Schneiderlin

Puncheon

Lallana

Lambert

I think you build from there. Need another 17 players. I reckon that we'll get in another 3 or 4 over the summer but probably no more. Right back is the obvious problem area. Question whether Bart is a good enough reserve goalie - he probably is. Do we buy Antonio? Yes, if we can. Is Papa good enough? Maybe not. Touch and go on him I think. Can we squeeze another season out of Jaidi? Probably.

I reckon though assuming that they're fit and haven't been sold that only 4 starting positions are up for grabs over the summer.

Is it going to be easy to offload players still in contract.

AP said the squad was too large but how many have gone Paterson comes to mind

Barnard Seabourne Bart if he stays are going to be in the squad along with Hammond

Edited by John B

Davis

Fonte

Harding

Schneiderlin

Puncheon

Lallana

Lambert

You appear to have left Hammond off that list. He's either got to be ahead of Schneiderlin on the definites list or get both of them off there.

Pardew has already said he wants two players in each position.

I'd say Armitage's list of guaranteed first teamers is pretty spot on.

Barnard has a year left on his contract. AP doesn't seem to fancy him as a first choice partner for Rickie, having said that he has played a good number of games (even if he does get subbed each time), and does score goals. I'd anticipate him staying on, on the basis that he'll either 'prove' himself as a first choice player or become a very useful rotation player, AP won't want to have to rely on Lambert as much as he has this season.

Connolly is injury prone and won't manage a whole season, but again does have obvious quality so is likely to stay, again as a rotation player.

So one first choice striker to come in to compete with Barnard for that second spot.

I can see him looking to retain Antonio if the terms are right, he's improved massively recently and that covers 3 of the 4 wide players (with Lallana and Puncheon). AP doesn't seem to rate Holmes (understandably), so he'll look to move him on and fill that 4th berth, either with a young player or a 'low profile' cheap transfer/loan of an out of favour player.

Waigo will go, he has no interest in staying and (imo) isn't good enough so that's fine.

In the middle, Spiderman will stay as first choice. New 'high profile' first choice central midfielder to compete with/take Hammond's place, and probably another 'low profile' signing or promoted youth player in the fourth berth. I can see Wotton remaining as 'cover', and the remaining midfield also-rans (Gillett, Pulis etc) to be moved on.

Harding seems a guarantee at left back, with Mills deputising. Fonte guaranteed in the middle. New 'high profile' centre back to take the pressure off (and gradually replace) "Mumm-raa" Jaidi, with Seabourne as the 4th (and, imo, a lot to prove). Aaron Martin to be the 'wild card'. Thomas gone.

If Calderon comes, as seems likely, he'll go straight in on the right. Semi will be released along with Mr Glass. I can't see AP making a 2nd RB a priority, so I can see that being a 'fill in' job.

No changes in keepers.

Tomorrow I'll give you this week's euro millions numbers.

I think they would like to get shot of a fair few but allot will depend on anyone else wanting them.

Poke has done well at Torquay and will no doubt be pushing for the reserve keeper if he comes back so it may depend on us 1st keeping Davies (dont think that will be a problem) and then it will depend on any offers coming in for either Bart or Poke. Cant see Forecast in any of the plans TBH.

Pards seems to rate James highly as one for the future but I reckon he will send him out on loan unless Wooton is shipped on. If Calderon comes in and Thomas, Murty and Semi are all gone then James will prob stay.

If DC can last a season then Barnard may see even less games so I think DC might end up out the door with one more decent striker coming in. Ricky, Barnard and 1 other should be a decent rotation up front.

Lallana, Puncheon, Antonio and Papa would be the 2 for each position on the wings but I would be amazed if Antonio and Papa are still here next season so I would have thought those to will be replaced with a couple of CCC standard wingers.

If Jaidi is up for another season I think Martin and Seaborne will be the cover while Jaidi and Jose will be the starters.

That should be enough for a 1st team squad so Gillet and a few others will prob be off-loaded. Jake Thomson hasnt been able to get into the Torquay team for a few weeks now so I doubt they will want him back either.

Think the biggest moves will be at under 18 level. With the big shake up they want at Staplewood and the focus they want on bringing our players up ourselves I bet there will be a big push to attract the best kids they can get to try and get some ready for our 1st few seasons back in the prem.

If DC can last a season then Barnard may see even less games so I think DC might end up out the door with one more decent striker coming in. Ricky, Barnard and 1 other should be a decent rotation up front.

I dont really understand your logic here. You are presumably saying that Connolly is a better player than Barnard (which is IMHO true) and if fit he will play more than Barnard, but in the next breath you are getting rid of Connolly.

Why ?

I dont really understand your logic here. You are presumably saying that Connolly is a better player than Barnard (which is IMHO true) and if fit he will play more than Barnard, but in the next breath you are getting rid of Connolly.

Why ?

I think it is the "when fit" issue..

Personally I would definately try to sign Waigo. He is the perfect sub, is quite versatile - can play wing or up front, gets in good positions and will only bd better now he is used to English football. The squad seem to love him too!

ditto that.

whenever I've seen him come off the bench he seems to inject life into our team and he always looks likely to cause problems.

He's never going to be the most cultured of players, in fact he can be pretty random at times - but i think we'd be worse off if we didn't have him as an option.

ditto that.

whenever I've seen him come off the bench he seems to inject life into our team and he always looks likely to cause problems.

He's never going to be the most cultured of players, in fact he can be pretty random at times - but i think we'd be worse off if we didn't have him as an option.

And at times he looks very classy and has a great first touch!

ditto that.

Exactly as I feel too.Very useful assists throughout the season.

Why ?

Cause he probably wont be fit enough this coming season. If we do buy another decent striker of DC's standard but less injury prone then DC will be gone IMO.

I would rather keep DC but we need 3 decent strikers that are going to be fit week in week out. Cant see Cortese allowing the team to carry DC for the sake of a handful of games.

Idealy DC will be fit for one more season and we wont need another striker till the season after. But Automatic promotion is a serious target so IMO the management team will be looking towards the future a bit more closely.

Cause he probably wont be fit enough this coming season. If we do buy another decent striker of DC's standard but less injury prone then DC will be gone IMO.

I would rather keep DC but we need 3 decent strikers that are going to be fit week in week out. Cant see Cortese allowing the team to carry DC for the sake of a handful of games.

Idealy DC will be fit for one more season and we wont need another striker till the season after. But Automatic promotion is a serious target so IMO the management team will be looking towards the future a bit more closely.

I get ya, thanks.

I think AP really really rates Connolly, he praises him or mentions him at every opportunity.

I would expect him to stay another season, probably on a pay as you play deal.

If he can stay fit for say 75% of the games he will score plenty as he showed in that spell just before Christmas.

I think waigo could be key player next season, and would not be surprised if pardew forked out a large amount for him.

Hes a quality player, extremely fast, 2 fast for this league and i would persume this catches him offside. He has his bad games, like all players!

And saying he couldent care about staying here stu0x? He shows alot of passion with the players and fans, allways makes an effort ( jpt, his celebrations, lp of hounor on last game )

Oh yeah, for sure! but these guys are the quality in my opinion

agree..they make up the "quality player" list..

dont really need too much else

I very much doubt the other teams will have as many players in their "quality player" list

just need a bit of luck with injuries

People have mentioned a player coming in to replace or compete with Hammond or the starting 11 spot (myself included).

i cant see the club spending money for a replacement for hammond..we have only just got him and he is captain..

sure we may get A N other to bolster the squad..but I cant imagine we will get players that will start ahead of morgan and hammod if they are both fit and still here

keep list from:

Davis

Bart

Fonte

Jaidi

Thomas (reduced salary)

Harding

Schneiderlin

Hammond

Puncheon

Lallana

Antonio

Lambert

Connolly

I was quite confident until I saw that list but it is missing Seabourne and Barnard but lets hope we get in a few new players and are injury free

Some people in this thread are confusing what a "retained list" is.

It is NOT a list of all the players you want to keep like Lambert, Lallana, Seaborne, Hammond, Harding, Barnard, Fonte etc

(all of these have more than a year left on their contracts)

A retained list is a list of those that are out of contract this season that you offer a new contract. For example Otsemobor, Connolly, Thomas, Perry, James, Gillett etc are all either going on the retained list or to be released.

Those that have contract running out and aren't given a new contract are released on free transfers and thus not on the retained list.

It is NOT a list of all the players you want to keep like Lambert, Lallana, Seaborne, Hammond, Harding, Barnard, Fonte etc

A retained list is a list of those that are out of contract this season that you offer a new contract. For example Otsemobor, Connolly, Thomas, Perry, James, Gillett etc are all either going on the retained list or to be released.

Those that have contract running out and aren't given a new contract are released on free transfers and thus not on the retained list.

Matt, my mate, right u r!!

apologies ;-)

I think they would like to get shot of a fair few but allot will depend on anyone else wanting them.

Poke has done well at Torquay and will no doubt be pushing for the reserve keeper if he comes back so it may depend on us 1st keeping Davies (dont think that will be a problem) and then it will depend on any offers coming in for either Bart or Poke. Cant see Forecast in any of the plans TBH.

Pards seems to rate James highly as one for the future but I reckon he will send him out on loan unless Wooton is shipped on. If Calderon comes in and Thomas, Murty and Semi are all gone then James will prob stay.

That should be enough for a 1st team squad so Gillet and a few others will prob be off-loaded. Jake Thomson hasnt been able to get into the Torquay team for a few weeks now so I doubt they will want him back either.

James can play in 3 positions and appears to be rated (as he should be), Jake Thomson's loan from Torquay got cancelled months ago due to what was reported as an attitude problem

Jamie White it appears has had another injury too, theres quite a bottleneck between the reserves and the YT for the position that he fills which is a shame as i rate his potential, but he might be released as well as Olly.

James can play in 3 positions and appears to be rated (as he should be), Jake Thomson's loan from Torquay got cancelled months ago due to what was reported as an attitude problem

Jamie White it appears has had another injury too, theres quite a bottleneck between the reserves and the YT for the position that he fills which is a shame as i rate his potential, but he might be released as well as Olly.

Being **** in 3 things doesnt give you more worth than say if u were **** at just the one...?

The ones whose contracts are up, they can be let go. Those who somebody wants can be sold or given a free transfer. For those who are still on contract and who nobody wants there are only two choices: The can be kept here and be paid until the contract expires, or they can have their contracts paid off. Any other ideas are ill informed dreams.

replace hammond..?

that simply will not happen this season..

It's not a case of replacing Hammond, but we need someone as good as Hammond and Schneiderlin to fight for the midfield spot, cover for injuries and step in for cup games etc.

We won't win the league if Hammond and Morgan are expected to play 55 or so games next season.

I'd imagine we will bring in another slightly more attacking box to box midfielder who will also work alongside those two in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 as well as alongside either of them in our 4-4-2.

It's not a case of replacing Hammond, but we need someone as good as Hammond and Schneiderlin to fight for the midfield spot, cover for injuries and step in for cup games etc.

We won't win the league if Hammond and Morgan are expected to play 55 or so games next season.

I'd imagine we will bring in another slightly more attacking box to box midfielder who will also work alongside those two in a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 as well as alongside either of them in our 4-4-2.

Yes I think you are right I think Hammond's injury and Morgan's absence through injury and suspension did not help our cause in the least

Well, either that or everyone knows what it is but wants to discuss the players they want us to play instead, which is my guess.

I think the "wild card" in all these lists, are the players themselves. If they want to move on, I think AP/NC will get shot of them, as they seem to want commitment (and rightly so). With that in mind, I will be surprised if Schneiderlin is here next year, and if a top CC or lower PL team comes in for Lambert, then I think he will be looking for a big pay day too. I hope I'm wrong, as they won't be easy to replace.

Taking into account, that AP wants two in each position, my suggestion is:

GK: Davis & Bart.

RB: (Calderon) & James. Assuming the rumours are correct.

LB: Harding & Mills.

CB: Fonte & Seaborne.

CB: New player & Jaidi.

LM: Lallana & New player.

RM: Puncheon & New player.

CM: New player & Hammond.

CM: Schneiderlin & Wotton.

ST: Lambert & New player.

ST: Barnard & Connolly.

Current loan players, Antonio and Papa Waigo, to return to their clubs.

Some of these positions could be covered by youth teamers breaking into the side, and leaves room for Aaron Martin to challenge for a spot at CB.

But we need to offload quite a lot of players who simply isn't good enough for the level NC & AP are aiming for us to play. Molyneux, Forecast, Pulis, Gillet, Lancashire, Murty, Perry, Thomas, Holmes, White, Reeves & Otsemobor to leave.

That leaves AP searching for a new CB. Two new wingers. Antonio could be one of them. A new CM to command the center of the field, maybe Brian Stock and a new striker as in Simeon Jackson.....

That means we've already got a good core of quality players with new talent in Martin and Oxlade-Chamberlain to make their push for more playing time.

Next season is also going to be make-or-break for players like Gobern, Thomson, McLaggon, McNish, Saville, Boyle, Pernecky and Doble.

Looking forward to a good summer with World Cup, new signings for Saints and a proper pre-season.

COYR

Davis

Fonte

Harding

Schneiderlin

Puncheon

Lallana

Lambert

Your kidding right? Bart is probably to good to be a back up keeper I can see him moving on becuase of a lack of first team games. Which would be a great shame IMO.

I think waigo could be key player next season, and would not be surprised if pardew forked out a large amount for him.

Hes a quality player, extremely fast, 2 fast for this league and i would persume this catches him offside. He has his bad games, like all players!

And saying he couldent care about staying here stu0x? He shows alot of passion with the players and fans, allways makes an effort ( jpt, his celebrations, lp of hounor on last game )

He's given more than one interview saying how he's looking forward to returning to Fiorentina and "a higher level of football". At no stage has he mentioned even a wish or possibility to stay.

He's given more than one interview saying how he's looking forward to returning to Fiorentina and "a higher level of football". At no stage has he mentioned even a wish or possibility to stay.

Got any links google brings up nothing I don't think I've ever seen any interviews with Papa. I'd like him to stay I think he brings something to the team. Still if he doesn't want to be here good luck to him, time for Kayne Mclaggon to step up I suppose.

Just wanna quote this as people seem to have forgotten what a retained list is. Again.